[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #55

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (12/27/87)

Date: Sun 27 Dec 87 11:58:02-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #55
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, December 27, 1987      Volume 3 : Issue 55

Today's Topics:
     RE: FKEYs and re-entrancy (4 messages)
     Any cheap OCR's out there? (3 messages)
     RE: Mac's, PC's, Cat's, Inertial tasks,
     re: Generating PostScript output
     Survey Software (2 messages)
     RE: Re:  Comments on MultiFinder (2 messages)
     ** MORE NEWS ABOUT LASERS ** (2 messages)
     RE: Is it DANGEROUS to program your Mac...? (4 messages)
     RE: MacEqn Breaks -- Help !!
     FOND of HyperCard
     CATALOGers/LIBRARIANs (3 messages)
     Re: Init Manager, please
     Amateur Radio Programs (2 messages)
     Re: Weirdness with DA menu!
     Re: Pyro/Switcher 5.1 bomb
     Re: Re: Init Manager, please

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: FKEYs and re-entrancy (Re: Msg 2234)
Date: 13-DEC 22:14 Programming Techniques

The answer only I heard for FKEYs is to set the global that prevents
FKEYs from being called by the Event Manager.  You could always set
something in your code space...

There are so many programs that save stuff in code space that Apple is
going to have to tread very carefully if they want to break them all.
Saving stuff in CODE space is one thing -- applications have no need to,
they have A5.  But how is a ROM patch like Findswell supposed to keep
track of its globals?  (OK, it could use space in the system heap and a
cookie to find it, but I'd prefer not to use system heap.  And Aztec C
lets DAs have code-space globals anyway.)

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: RE: FKEYs and re-entrancy (Re: Msg 2240)
Date: 14-DEC 05:30 Programming Techniques

That's more or less what I suspected. The Event Manager global that you
mention is "ScrDmpEnb", I suspect. Can't get it to work on my II, the
FKEY gets called anyway. What fun!
   Dewi

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: RE: FKEYs and re-entrancy (Re: Msg 2241)
Date: 17-DEC 01:17 Programming Techniques

Why not try to PATCH _GetNextEvent? You could look at the next pending
event each time through, and if the CMD and SHIFT keys are down, just
flush that event from the queue. Sounds pretty simple to me. Why are you
an FKEY? Have you

looked at Lofty Becker's stuff? He has written some really exotic
FKEYs...

    Steve Maller
    Apple Computer

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: RE: FKEYs and re-entrancy (Re: Msg 2242)
Date: 17-DEC 02:24 Programming Techniques

It's exotic, I suppose. I needed access to something when a modal dialog
was up. A FKEY is the time honored way of doing this, as far as I can
see. I'm not so sure that patching GetNextEvent isn't overkill, though.
Does anybody know the real status of ScrDmpEnb these days? If it's a
dying global, I'll patch. Otherwise I may just continue using the global
as a semaphore.
    Dewi

------------------------------

From: GOODHIND
Subject: Any cheap OCR's out there?
Date: 15-DEC 00:31 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm looking for an OCR for entering some courier into a text format
file.

I seem to remember something out there less than $300 that you slid the
reader across yourself... anybody have any idea of somebodies box that
could do this, who they are, how much they cost, how good do they
work...

thanx

ljg

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN
Subject: RE: Any cheap OCR's out there? (Re: Msg 24257)
Date: 15-DEC 08:46 Hardware & Peripherals

The company was Oberon. I don't know what happened to them.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 15-DEC 23:15 Hardware & Peripherals

TSTEIN's answer Oberon is what I couldn't think of right away.  It was
called OmniReader, and their ads claimed they had connections to IBM PC
and Mac through the serial port.  I think you can probably buy these
things from companies who specialize in salvage of excess inventory.

If you have enough stuff to scan that it is not worth just hiring a
typist to rekey it, then I think the Oberon will be too frustrating too
(but I never used

one, so this is just my guess).  You might consider taking your work to
a service bureau that does OCR.  Courier is such a popular typewriter
font that it shouldn't be much of a problem getting it converted.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Mac's, PC's, Cat's, Inertial tasks, (Re: Msg 24199)
Date: 15-DEC 05:10 Telecommunicating

Some day I'm going to see exactly what kind of use my friend does get
out of the Mac I loaned her.  I'm curious, because I really showed her
very little.  I loaned the machine so she could write plays.  I didn't
think she needed to worry about pretzel-shift-1 to do that, so I never
told her.  (I did give her the manual.)  And I've never invited her to a
user group meeting.  I don't think it would be a good use of her time --
nor would she have to learn how to cook in order to eat.  (Jack, I
defend my policy of deciding what was right for her because I have no
intention of restricting her knowledge -- she can protect herself from
information overload, but she might not use a computer at all if
confronted with all the irrelevant choices all at once.)

As I was explaining Acta to her, it really struck me how poorly Apple
designed the multitasking for 1984.  The fact that you only use two
menus when using a DA (the DA's own, and Edit) sounded confusing to me
as I explained it.  Maybe I should have had Acta take over the menu
bar...but that would have made life modal, I think -- you wouldn't be
able to quit an application with no windows open until you closed Acta,
in that case.

(Question:  is the machine I gave her [with just Acta, WriteNow, and
MacPaint] an information appliance?  [As I showed MacPaint, I told her
every computer needs a game.])

I don't know that we necessarily need an Einstein, but I think much of
the beauty of the early Mac was that it was designed by a very few
bright people. I hate to advocate central control, but what we have now
is in effect design by committee.

I'll try again to find Winograd and Flores -- it was checked out, last I
looked.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Generating PostScript output (Re: Msg 24226)
Date: 15-DEC 05:11 Network Digests

 > From: <DROMS%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
 > Subject: Generating PostScript output

I believe LaserWriter v5.0 won't generate PostScript if you've got
background printing selected.

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

------------------------------

From: BWD
Subject: Survey Software
Date: 15-DEC 19:22 Business Mac

Does anyone know of a software package for the Mac which could be used
to compile survey details?

Specifically, I would like to create a survey form and then send it out
to various locations and have the users input their responses.  They
would either return the disks or send a file back over E-Mail.  The

Becasue the survey form would change each time a survey is done, I don't
want to have to have to do any (or very little) programming, but I would
likely need to send out an application of some sort.  For this reason,
databases are likely of limited use.

Any ideas or comments are welcome.  I thought that it would be an easy
request, but ...   (maybe I haven't asked the right people...  until
now!)

Brian .s

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Survey Software (Re: Msg 24269)
Date: 16-DEC 03:33 Business Mac

Such a thing does exist, though I can't place it right now. Perhpas if
you check in Wheels for the Mind if no one gives you an answer here. You
might also consider posting to UseNet, etc., where you'd most certainly
be apt to get some response.

Neil.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Re:  Comments on MultiFinder (Re: Msg 24279)
Date: 16-DEC 23:35 Network Digests

>Date: Sun, 11 Oct 87 17:06:04 pdt
>From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr@APPLE.COM>
>Subject: Re:  Comments on MultiFinder

>Overall, I find layers convenient to use.  Without them, getting at a Finde
>folder might require that you move several windows around, if it happened to
>be buried.  WIth layers, you can simply activate the Finder and gain access
>to all of its windows.

By the same token, the icons for disks, closed folders, and the
transhcan should be windows, so that they too can be brought to the
front when the Finder's layer is activated.  Using the current Finder is
excrutiating because these remain buried.

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Re:  Comments on MultiFinder (Re: Msg 24282)
Date: 20-DEC 01:54 Network Digests

Peter,
  My "trick" when going back to the finder is to close all windows that
might be on showing in the layer, close them all (via command-W or
whatever method you like best, ie. option-click in close, etc...), then
do a select all and open. This will open the trash as a small window at
the bottom of the screen and my hard disk icon up at the top. Throwing
stuff way isn't a problem then. This technique assumes that there are no
applications sitting in the desktop, but that is cleared up by using
some application like PowerStation, Oasis, or HD Runner. The system
though not perfect, works fairly well. I'd like to see a Finder option
of allowing one to specify whether the icons could be brought to the
"surface".

Brian

------------------------------

From: MACMAG
Subject: ** MORE NEWS ABOUT LASERS **
Date: 17-DEC 11:16 Business Mac

CLARIS
-=-=-=

We've been playing around with Claris's new MacPaint 2.0. It asks you to
personalize your copy (ala MORE/Illustrator/etc..), don't offer much as
an upgrade (doesn't have gradual rotations at any angle, only 90 degrees
rotaions)

The "Take Snapshot" (similar to the Keep command in HyperCard) makes
this digitized camera sound (cute).

In all, there are farr better paint programs on the market.

LASER NOTE
**********

As a note to my previous message, I forgot to mention that anyone with a
LaserWriter or a Laser Plus should sell their printers as soon as
possible because come January, the Models will be discontinued and I
don't think there will be a trade-in policy (certainly NO upgrade).

The 128K Mac was discontinued... where are they now?

P.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: ** MORE NEWS ABOUT LASERS ** (Re: Msg 24288)
Date: 17-DEC 11:47 Business Mac

But there's only one problem ... what do you do for a printer while
you're waiting for a snazzy new LW from Apple (which probably won't be
shipping for months)?

peter

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: Is it DANGEROUS to program your Mac...?
Date: 19-DEC 00:28 Network Digests

>RE:From: tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson)
>Subject: Is it DANGEROUS to program your Mac...?

I doubt that you can burn out the flyback xformer, but it might be
possible to damage a disk drive by misfunctioning it.  I remember two
instances of computers that could easily be damaged by bad programs.
The origional Commodore PET had one register whose setting could cause
components to burn out.  The CDC 7600 Mainfram ca 1968 had core memory
that was souped up to such an extent, that simply running a very short
loop would cause it to overheat.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 19-DEC 17:55 Network Digests

One of the original Data General Novas had that problem too.  The
instruction was JMP @0 or some such thing, which when placed in location
zero, was a valid indirect reference to itself, resulting in the
instruction fetch reading location zero on every possible memory cycle.
Smoke reportedly ensued.

peter

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Date: 19-DEC 22:14 Network Digests

On some current computers it is possible to function disk drives to seek
beyond their limits, sometimes causing mechanical damage.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 20-DEC 03:19 Network Digests

I think the "earthquake screen" happens when you write to sound chip
memory by mistake.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: MacEqn Breaks -- Help !!
Date: 19-DEC 00:43 Network Digests

>RE:From: alex@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley)
>Subject: MacEqn Breaks -- Help !!

What version of MacEqn are you using?  MacEqn 2.1 was released just a
short time ago.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: FOND of HyperCard
Date: 19-DEC 13:44 Bugs & Features

HyperCard draws its tool palette symbols and special mouse pointer
symbols by using a private font that is in the HyperCard application.
Unfortunately, HyperCard lacks a "FOND" resource for its font. The
result is that if there any other font online which has the same font ID
number as HyperCard's, then that other font will be used (possibly after
scaling to a 12-point size) to draw HyperCard's symbols.  The symbols
will then look like letters, or just be unrecognizeable.

This problem is not related directly to Suitcase, but Suitcase users are
more likely to have many fonts online and thus more likely to have a
font which conflicts with HyperCard's font.

The solution is to provide a FOND resource for HyperCard.  This can be
done with ResEdit and Font/DA Mover as follows:

1.  Open ResEdit.
2.  Open the HyperCard application file.
3.  Select (click on) the FONT resource type.
4.  Choose the Open General command from the File menu.
5.  Select (click on): FONT ID=31756
6.  Choose Get Info from the File menu.
7.  Type the name: HC Font
8.  Close the Info window.
9.  Choose New from the File menu; this will cause a new FONT resource to
    appear in the list, and the new FONT will be pre-selected.
10. Choose Get Info from the File menu.
11. Type the name: HC Font
12. Type a Tab to move the cursor to the ID field.
13. Type the number: 31744
14. Close the Info window.
15. Choose Quit from the File menu; when asked whether to save the changes,
    click Yes.
16. Open Font/DA Mover.
17. Click the Close button at the lower left.
18. While holding down the Option key, click the Open... button at the
    lower left.
19. If necessary, navigate through disks/folders to the HyperCard
    application.
20. Select the HyperCard application and click Open.
21. Click the Open... button at the lower right.
22. Click the New button.
23. Type the name: HC Font File
24. Click the Create button, or type the Return key
25. Click on "HC Font" in the left list.
26. Click the >> Copy >> button.
27. Click on "HC Font" in the right list.
28. Click the << Copy << button.
29. Click the Quit button.
30. The HC Font File in the HyperCard application folder, which was
    created during the above procedure, can be deleted.

Note: this same problem -- a private application font that lacks a FOND
resource -- is present in some other applications, i.e., SuperPaint and
MacPaint (also, I've been told, FullPaint).  The same procedure can be
applied to these other applications.  However, the ID numbers in steps 5
and 13 may well be different.  To get the number to be used in step 13,
take the number in step 5 (which is displayed by ResEdit), divide it by
128, discard the remainder or fractional part, and then multiply by 128.
 The names "HC Font" and "HC Font File" used above can be any names you
like, as long as the names used in steps 7 and 11 are the same.

------------------------------

From: HPP
Subject: CATALOGers/LIBRARIANs
Date: 20-DEC 01:29 Business Mac

I like to find a good HFS-multi-HDvolume/floppy cataloger. Ive tried
Disk Librarian V1.82a but it dies writing its catalog and freezes my
mouse.. CAT*MAC truncates file names and volume names in its TeaseWare
version.. We need one. Any body know of a good one?
    Phil Peterson

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: CATALOGers/LIBRARIANs (Re: Msg 24356)
Date: 20-DEC 14:10 Business Mac

How about Disk Quick, the non-shareware succesor to Disk Librarian?

Brian

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Date: 20-DEC 17:49 Business Mac

have you tried Dir-Acta-Ry?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Re: Init Manager, please
Date: 20-DEC 03:17 Network Digests

 > From: moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer)
 > Subject: Re: Init Manager, please
 I mentioned this recently, and Don Brown (the author of Aask) said that
a beta had been uploaded somewhere without his permission.  Aask (the
INIT manager) will apparently be part of one of his packages at some
future date; it is not released.  If you have a copy, you probably
shouldn't, and you certainly shouldn't distribute it.  (Hope this info's
still current -- Don's on CI$, not this net.)

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: Amateur Radio Programs
Date: 20-DEC 10:16 Telecommunicating

I am looking for Amateur Radio Programs for the MAC. Anyone seen any
good ones? including PAcket host and terminal programs-logging,etc??
Bill Taylor KD4IL Fort Mill MEBBS 803-548-0900

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Amateur Radio Programs (Re: Msg 24367)
Date: 20-DEC 17:55 Telecommunicating

Contact Doug Forman, sysop of MacSystem NW - 503-245-2222/649-8313 -
he's either got it all or can tell you where to get it. He's also
reachable as DFORMAN on (ahem) GEnie.

Neil.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Weirdness with DA menu!
Date: 25-DEC 16:21 Network Digests

>To: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
>Subject: Weirdness with DA menu!

When Suitcase is used on a Mac II with MultiFinder, sometimes a DA name
in the apple menu, or maybe even the entire menu, becomes dimmed
(disabled).  This is fixed by the following Fedit patch to the Suitcase
file, or ResEdit patch to the INIT 128 resource in Suitcase:

 search for: 225F 205F 2050
 change to:  6000 008C 2050

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Pyro/Switcher 5.1 bomb
Date: 27-DEC 02:58 MUGS Online

To: osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) Subject: Re: Pyro/Switcher 5.1 bomb

> if the INIT "Pyro" is in the System Folder, Switcher 5.1 will bomb

I assume the bombs you describe happen when you switch.  If so, the
following hexadecimal patches to Pyro! will fix it for compatibility
with Switcher. These patches are applied with a program such as Fedit
Plus or similar utility, or with a recent version of ResEdit operating
on the INIT 128 resource within Pyro!.

 search for: 60 04 50 79 72 6F
 change to:  4E 71 61 00 08 78

 search for: 00 00 48 E7 1F 38
 change to:  FF F0 48 E7 1F 38

 search for: 9E FC 00 10
 change to:  4E 71 4E 71

 search for: 6F 00 04 A9 71 4A 1F DE FC 00 10
 change to:  6E FF F0 4E B9 00 00 00 00 4A 1F

 search for: B0 6A 00 04 62 04 70 01 60 02 70 00
 change to:  30 3C A9 71 A7 46 43 FA F9 FE 22 88

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Re: Init Manager, please
Date: 27-DEC 02:58 MUGS Online

To: moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) Subject: Re: Re: Init Manager,
please

> [The Aask INIT is] from those wonderful people over at CE software, and
> I'll post it to comp.mac.binaries first chance I get.

This is beta test software that was (directly or indirectly) illicitly
posted to the BBS from which you obtained it; it is NOT public domain
and is not intended to be publically distributed.

This is what I, as a beta tester, was told by CE Software.

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------