[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #2

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (01/28/88)

Date: Thu 28 Jan 88 09:37:56-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #2
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Thursday, January 28, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 2

Today's Topics:
     ImageWriter/AppleTalk (3 messages)
     HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch (3 messages)
     RETURN FROM INTERUPT (2 messages)
     Print 11 x 17 Paper
     Help with Kanji Talk
     RE: Help Kanji Talk
     RE: LSC, function pointers, and segments
     RE: DNA and protein sequence analysis?
     re: LightSpeed C gripes
     Memory
     re: MultiFinder & DAs (2 messages)
     Mapping Software
     HELP (2 messages)
     Disk Initialization of foreign drives
     Universal Cut&Paste? (3 messages)
     RE: About box searches??
     RE: cheap spreadsheet?
     Using Sound
     RE: re: MultiFinder & DAs
     Re: Re: Suitcase versus Font/DA Juggler
     MultiFinder and RamStart (2 messages)
     Bidirectionality?
     more FullWrite bugs (3 messages)
     Word Perfect

From: SYMBIOSYS
Subject: ImageWriter/AppleTalk
Date: 12-JAN 22:16 Programming

Help... <>
  I am developing software to drive the ImageWriter II with AppleTalk.
<>
  The Problem :  How can I send low-level data to the ImageWriter, i.e.,
  take advantage of 160 dpi via escape codes, etc., and still maintain
  some kind of higher-level, job oriented reality on AppleTalk ? <>
  There will be at least two Macs competing for the ImageWriter, possibly
  more.  Low-level printer driver control calls don't provide any
  feedback, e.g. "printer busy now, try later". <>
  Is there some tech note or document concerning this sort of thing ? <>
Please...

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: ImageWriter/AppleTalk (Re: Msg 2283)
Date: 14-JAN 21:05 Programming Techniques

Well, I used low level printing from miniWRITER, and I'm told it works
with an AppleTalk ImageWriter.  I'm not 100% sure what happens when two
people try to use it, however.

Be advised that low level printing is no longer very viable with the
LaserWriter.  Apple has changed most of the rules without telling
anybody.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: ImageWriter/AppleTalk (Re: Msg 2287)
Date: 20-JAN 02:30 Programming Techniques

You're warned against mixing high and low level calls, but you might
want to check out PrGeneral (in Inside Mac V).

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch
Date: 13-JAN 21:44 HyperCard

Command-Shift-Clear activates the "Mouse Keys" feature of Easy Access.

Command-Clear is an undocumented "Delete Card" command (the manual
mentions Command-Backspace, but not Command-Clear, in Chapter 7).

Enough said? Blew away a card in one of my stacks because a finger
missed the shift key. Unfortunately, aliasing Command-Clear to
Command-Shift-Clear with QuicKeys doesn't work. If you use Easy Access
for precision alignment, watch out for this "feature".

        Dewi

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch (Re: Msg 24740)
Date: 13-JAN 22:01 HyperCard

Did you try using QuicKeys to have Command-clear make a menu selection?
(Like getting the message box, or something similarly non-destructive.)

Brian

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: RE: HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch (Re: Msg 24741)
Date: 14-JAN 02:10 HyperCard

That did the trick! It's just the alias that doesn't work. You have to
move Easy Access out of the way and reboot to do it, though.
      Dewi

------------------------------

From: RABBIT
Subject: RETURN FROM INTERUPT
Date: 13-JAN 23:33 Programming Techniques

   I have an interesting little problem I could use some advice on if
anyone is willing to help.  I wrote an application a while back (a
multiuser BBS) that depends on changing the program counte ((via a
return from an interrupt).  This is no problem.  However, I noticed when
reading through the multifinder compat ability documentation that they
said the Mac while one day be running out of ( sounds like one day will
not be far away).  If I understand the 680X0 series correctly the system
stack in user mode will not contain the return address. Any ideas for
changing the program counter in user mode?

                                       Scott

"....   if it didn't walk away it must still be there!"

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: RETURN FROM INTERUPT (Re: Msg 2284)
Date: 20-JAN 00:01 Programming Techniques

Machines with a separate system and user stack always have some way to
access the user stack from system mode, possibly with a privileged
instruction or by some kind of special addressing mode that temporarily
uses the other stack pointer for the duration of the instruction).  Look
for that in your 680X0 manual.  The other thing you have to consider is
whether you are actually going to be in system mode or user mode when
you get the opportunity to return from interrupt.  You may have to use
an operating system call to play with the stack because the operating
system (and there will be a real OS on any such Mac) may not give you
control barefoot off the interrupt vector.

peter

------------------------------

From: JSTIFF
Subject: Print 11 x 17 Paper
Date: 18-JAN 22:55 Hardware & Peripherals

We just got a PrintServer 40 hooked up to our AppleTalk/EtherNet.  Does
anyone know how to modify the laserwriter driver so you can recognize
the "B" size paper tray in the Printserver and thus print out on 11 x 17
shets?  PageMaker can do it, but we need to be able to do it from other
applications.

------------------------------

From: MGNEWMAN
Subject: Help with Kanji Talk
Date: 19-JAN 22:40 Programming

I just got the Kanji Mac System Software from APDA (after ordering it
three times and waiting almost six months!)

However, fool that I am I don't iknow how to use it!

It seems that the System shipped is an older version than the System and
Finder I have on my hard disk (4.2, 6.0).  How do I install the Kanji
system on my hard disk without having to go backwards to an older
version of the System and Finder?

Since the Installer shiped with the Kanji stuff has Japanese dialog
boxes (which I can only partly read) I can't figure out if I can use it
to install all the stuff on my disk.

What I wan't to do with it is to develop some flashcard type of software
that will help me (and perhaps others) to improve their ability to read
Japanese.  I was hoping to use the Japanese font file that comes with
Kanji Talk to create a set of Kanji flashcards (perhaps in HyperCard).

Any help that anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards from Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Help Kanji Talk
Date: 20-JAN 00:03 Programming Techniques

Script Manager docs are available from APDA, both as part of IM 5 and in
more detail as a separate manual.  There is also some sketchy
information in various

Tech Notes, but of course you need to basic info to understand it.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: LSC, function pointers, and segments (Re: Msg 24773)
Date: 20-JAN 00:42 Network Digests

>From: gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner)
>Subject: LSC, function pointers, and segments
>Date: 5 Jan 88 00:29:25 GMT

>I started working on segmenting a large program that uses function
>pointers rather extensively and got worried about assigning a function
>pointer in one segment, unloading that segment, and having it accessed
>later from another segment. Is the function pointer still valid?

Function pointers are addresses of entries in the jump table, and are
therefore both non-relocatable and always valid targets for a jump.
HOWEVER, using one can cause heap compaction when you might not expect
it (as can calling any entry point explicitly in an unloaded segment).
Beware.

 peter                          "In any context, half of all references
 PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: DNA and protein sequence analysis? (Re: Msg 24794)
Date: 20-JAN 00:53 Network Digests

>Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 23:06:40 EST
>From: David_Detlefsen@ub.cc.umich.edu
>Subject: DNA and protein sequence analysis?

>Has anyone seen any public domain or shareware programs for DNA
>and protein sequence analysis for the Macintosh?

There was a program available from Dartmouth a few years ago which might
be useful.  I have forgotten the details, but it allowed you at least to
transcribe sequences, and had a neat feature for speaking back the
sequences using MacinTalk so you could proofread them by yourself.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: LightSpeed C gripes (Re: Msg 24775)
Date: 20-JAN 02:28 Network Digests

 > From: gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher)
 > Subject: LightSpeed C gripes

I LIKE the editor (now that it has Undo).  Then, I really miss the mouse
when I have to use text-based Unix.  (The editor could use a few
improvements, but at least it's been getting better with each new
version, not worse [like QUED].)

One way to avoid "Data Segment Too Big" is to avoid having your
variables on the stack.  Instead of

 THING thing[thing_max];

use

 THING *thing;
 thing = (THING *)NewPtr((long)sizeof(THING) * thing_max);

This isn't the nicest thing to do to the heap, but it's handy when
you're porting code that uses lotsa globals.

LsC runs under MultiFinder for me -- I do have a 2MB Mac II.  It stops
on the first error because it's fast enough that another compile to get
the next one is no big deal.  Having the editor go to the error is worth
it for me.

 David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means
 Maitreya Design   there is an exit."

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Memory
Date: 20-JAN 20:52 Hardware & Peripherals

How many wait states does Mac II memory use? What's a good price for
used Mac II 256K SIMMs?

Brian

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: MultiFinder & DAs (Re: Msg 24792)
Date: 21-JAN 00:06 Network Digests

 >From: apple!claris!apple!goldman@decwrl.dec.com (Phil Goldman)
 >Subject: Re: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #1
 >I think the optimal solution would be to have a separate layer for each DA.
 >The easiest way to do this is to re-code each DA as an app, or stick it in a
 >simple DA wrapper.  The wrapper idea would be very simple since the DA would
 >not even need to be re-coded (i.e. have a DA Handler per DA).

How is this done?  I.e. how would a wrapper get a DA to open in its
partition, rather than the system heap?

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: re: MultiFinder & DAs (Re: Msg 24948)
Date: 27-JAN 22:11 Network Digests

No conflicts -- private DAs are really private: in another layer, the
private DA's DCE handle is removed from the unit table, and the resource
map of the application which owns the DA is not in the chain.  That's
under MultiFinder. Under not-MultiFinder (as author of PowerStation I
don't say "UniFinder"), the usual rule applies:  application-embedded
DAs should have DRVR IDs in the range 27-31.  Therefore, a "wrapped" (by
a wrapper) DA should have an ID in 27-31. F/DAM doesn't renumber a DA
unless it needs to, I'm pretty sure. The creator of a wrapper+DA can
give the DA any DRVR ID he wants to.

With Suitcase, any DA can have any DRVR ID in the range 12-63, since
there is no link between DRVR ID and unit#.

------------------------------

From: TRAINBRAIN
Subject: Mapping Software
Date: 22-JAN 02:25 Macintosh II

Can anyone out there point me to map making software for the II?  I am
particula rly interested in programs that would accept Defence Mapping
Agency data, permit its modification, and display it.

Thanks

Steve Seidensticker

------------------------------

From: VASMUG
Subject: HELP
Date: 23-JAN 08:39 Hardware & Peripherals

Greetings, and help! 1. Does anyone know what a text doc named "AFM"
means.
   when downloaded along with a Laser font? 2. Does anyone know if there
is a top limit to the number
   of documents that should be contained in the System
   Folder? 3. Does anyone know what happened to ZAP Computer products?
   They made and marketed ZAP harddrives last summer.  We
   would like to buy some more.  Number now disconnected! Thanks for all
your help!

Fred

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: HELP (Re: Msg 24878)
Date: 23-JAN 12:51 Hardware & Peripherals

It stands for Adobe Font Metric.  It is used (more by IBM machines) to
figure out the letter spacing.  On a Mac this is contained in the FOND
resource for the font.  Also, a few applications like MacTeX can make
use of this information to generate width files for TeX word processing.
In the normal course of Mac events you will not need this file.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: TONYN
Subject: Disk Initialization of foreign drives
Date: 23-JAN 14:43 Programming Techniques

I am the author of RamStart.  I am trying to make RamStart's RAM disk
compatible with the Disk Initialization package so, eg, Finder Special
menu Erase Disk will work.  What does my driver need to do to make Pack
2 happy? Where does Apple document it?  Also, it might be an advantage
to my users to be able to make (at will) either an HFS or MFS RAM disk.
How do I control this, when a RAM disk can be nearly any size at all?

     Tony N.:'
            '

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Universal Cut&Paste?
Date: 24-JAN 03:18 Business Mac

I have an interesting problem (I think so anyway).  It seems that there
is no way to export graphic images from any page layout programs out
there. Why would I want to do such a silly thing you ask?  Kerning.
There's a logo for a client I am doing work for (a design firm) that has
been perfected in both PageMaker and Xpress but, much to my chagrin, I
can't copy and paste that graphic into, say, FileMaker+ or 4D because
the layout programs don't support it.  Therefore, I can't get the logo
into the account system.

I guess I could always digitize it but that seems a little excessive
since all it is is some kerned text and 4 pict shapes, all grouped
together.

Any ideas anyone?

Joshua

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Universal Cut&Paste? (Re: Msg 24898)
Date: 24-JAN 17:36 Business Mac

Use the Cmd-F trick to get the graphics in PostScript form and then
fiddle with the PostScript to eliminate dependencies on the Apple
LaserPrep definitions. Then convert it into an EPSF file (I don't know
how to do this).

peter

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Date: 24-JAN 23:40 Business Mac

Have you tried (Super)Glue?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: About box searches??
Date: 24-JAN 21:12 Network Digests

 > From: mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante)
 > Subject: About box searches??
 I thought about doing Get Info searches in Findswell, but decided not
to, because it probably wouldn't be real fast, and because AppleShare
handles file comments completely differently.  I suppose if there's lots
of demand, I'll investigate it for the next version of Findswell.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: cheap spreadsheet?
Date: 24-JAN 21:13 Network Digests

 > From: mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw)
 > Subject: cheap spreadsheet?
 There's a shareware spreadsheet for $40, BiPlane.  I looked at it for 5
minutes and found numerous user interface bugs (frex, the DA version
hogs the menu bar and won't give it back to applications!), not to
mention an incredible lack of proofreading in the brief manual.  I
imagine it works.  It saves in SYLK format.

From: RAMARREN
Subject: Using Sound
Date: 25-JAN 04:24 Programming Techniques

I am currently working on a program that would benefit from being able
to play some digitized sounds.  I have MacRecorder, and I understand
that there are a couple of formats, IE HyperCard sound, 'snd ',
SoundCap, etc.  Are there in existence any sample sources that will read
a digitized sound and make an output for one or another of these sound
file types, and is there on line somewhere a good description of the
file format?

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: re: MultiFinder & DAs (Re: Msg 24832)
Date: 25-JAN 02:18 Network Digests

> How is this done?  I.e. how would a wrapper get a DA to open in its
> partition, rather than the system heap?

A DA embedded in an application file is opened in that application's
layer, and its DRVR and owned resources are loaded into that
applications's heap. Normal DAs are opened in the DA Handler layer
unless the Option key is down at OpenDeskAcc time. System resources --
including normal DAs and their owned resources -- are always loaded into
the system heap. Note the distinction between layer and default heap.  A
normal DA opened with Option down is loaded into the system heap and the
system zone is made current when the DA is entered; but it is opened in
the current application's layer rather than the DA Handler's layer.  A
layer denotes (in addition to a set of windows and menu bar on the
screen) an application "world" consisting of low-memory system
variables, a system heap (common to all layers), an application heap,
and application globals.

A "wrapper," then, would be just a skeletal application with a DA
embedded in it.  The wrapper would presumeably open its private DA when
the wrapper is launched.  If it were a friendly wrapper, it would also
provide a full DA menu so that other DAs could be accessed from its
layer ('though they would open in the DA Handler layer sans Option key).

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Re: Suitcase versus Font/DA Juggler
Date: 25-JAN 02:20 Network Digests

To: Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com Subject: Re: Re: Suitcase versus
Font/DA Juggler

> First, F/DA J is MF compatible, allowing opening and closing fonts and
> DAs under MF. (Suitcase is coming out with a free upgrade Real Soon
> Now.)

Suitcase 1.2, which allows opening/closing suitcase files "on the fly"
under MultiFinder, shipped Jan. 15 and was available from several
retailer booths at MacWorld Expo.  (Suitcase 1.0 worked under
MultiFinder, but provided access only to those fonts and DAs in a set of
suitcase files opened automatically at startup -- i.e., a reboot was
required to alter the set of open suitcase files.)  Suitcase 1.2.1,
which fixes a couple of 1.2 bugs, will be sent as a free upgrade to
registered 1.0 or 1.2 owners Real Soon Now (awaiting disk duplication
and mailing label printing -- should go out within a couple of weeks).

> One wonders why Suitcase (which is certainly a fine program) has gotten
> all the press, even winning a MacUser award, and Font/DA Juggler has been
> virtually un-talked about in the press.

I believe the reason is that Suitcase 1.0 was shipped on Aug. 11, 1987,
(the same day MultiFinder was *announced*) and Font/DA Juggler 2.0,
which was really ALSoft's first competitive offering, was shipped around
the beginning of November.  Font/DA Juggler Plus was first shipped Jan.
15, 1987. In sum, Suitcase was first by several months.  It is
reasonable to speculate that Suitcase inspired development of, or at
least features in, Font/DA Jugglers 2.0 and Plus.

'Scuse me now, gotta get back to work on Suitcase 2.0...

   Steve Brecher
   Author/publisher of Suitcase

------------------------------

From: TONYN
Subject: MultiFinder and RamStart
Date: 26-JAN 18:07 Programming Techniques

 MultiFinder and RamStart
 ------------------------

Working on my RamStart program in the last couple of days, I have
ferreted out a few secrets of MultiFinder.

MultiFinder is an operating system extension that adds capability to the
Macintosh OS and Toolbox.  In no sense does it replace the Finder; it
only allows the Finder to do new tricks.  The file MultiFinder is an
application that installs the extensions.  This means that RamStart can
launch MultiFinder as its exit application, by using a script file, and
that TMON can be used with MultiFinder if it is launched first. Apple
describes this technique in the document, "Are You MultiFinder
Friendly?" (but I find that the Finder crashes every time I exit TMON,
and it seems odd that a couple of seconds after I option-interrupt into
TMON that the cursor changes to the Watch).

_Launch is one trap that behaves differently under MultiFinder. RamStart
normally gets the space for the RAM disk by adjusting BufPtr (the way
debuggers and the HD 20 file do), but it will have to work differently
to run under MultiFinder.  BufPtr affects InitApplZone, which is no
longer called during Launch (I infer) because the real ApplZone, the one
just above the System heap, is now the MultiFinder heap.  When
MultiFinder launches an application, it creates a new sub-heap for it in
a locked handle at the top of its own heap (using _MoveHHi?).

The Temporary Memory Allocation calls also allocate handles in the
MultiFinder heap.  They are simple wrappers around the usual Memory Mgr
calls that set the MultiFinder A5 world (except keeping the current QD
vars) and the MultiFinder heap zone and then call glue code.  Either
MultiFinder is written in C using a very clever compiler, or in
assembler by a very dull programmer.

Since the temp mem calls are so simple, you may allocate memory that
lasts until MultiFinder quits.  This is good for RamStart.  On the other
hand, you must be careful to dispose of any temp memory you get, as
MultiFinder will not, even when your application quits.  As Apple has
not documented this behavior, they may change it in the future. It would
be a disaster for RamStart if the calls start tagging the blocks with
the originating application, but they might someday.

The MultiFinder temp mem calls are accessed by a selector passed to the
new trap OSDispatch (A88F).  The dispatch table holds 40 entries, and I
am curious to know what the other entries are for.

I will post a LightspeedC interface to the temp mem calls after I have
tested it a bit.  I may also post a version of DrvrRemove that works
even if the driver is no longer a Resource (i.e., a detached resource).

     Tony N.:'
            '
------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: MultiFinder and RamStart (Re: Msg 2301)
Date: 26-JAN 22:28 Programming Techniques

I've been using TMON with MultiFinder all along.  Don't tell me you
don't have the INIT loader for TMON?  If not, get it!

------------------------------

From: PSTAR
Subject: Bidirectionality?
Date: 26-JAN 21:07 Business Mac

Does anyone know how the Apple development of a bi-directional version
of Systesoftware for Arabic and Hebrew use is coming?  I saw a very
buggy pre- release version of System 3.2 / Finder 5.3, but that was a
while b ack.  I assume the work has been continuing, but calls to Apple
(I've left several messages) have never been answered.  (Their
international division seems to consist of an answering machine.)  Any
info would be much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: more FullWrite bugs
Date: 28-JAN 00:29 Bugs & Features

Hmm, I'll bet a future version of FullWrite has an equation processor
built in. Check the SICNs -- there's a panel with a sigma in it.

I found an amusing spelling mistake in the program -- the Preferences
dialog refers to "Linguabase," while the title window calls it a
"Linguibase."  It would be nice if they knew how to spell their own
spelling checker.  Which, incidentally, doesn't know how to spell
"FullWrite."  And is it intentional that when you use the thesaurus on
FullWrite, the first word you see is "frustration?"

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: more FullWrite bugs (Re: Msg 24966)
Date: 28-JAN 01:45 Bugs & Features

hmm.. it seems to understand Claris OK...

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 28-JAN 02:22 Bugs & Features

This isn't necessarily the explanation of Linguinibase or whatever, but
... Quality Assurance departments in the know let a certain number of
known bugs go out with a beta release to evaluate the effectiveness of
the testing.  If 80% of the known bugs are found, it might mean 80% of
the unknown bugs are.

peter

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: Word Perfect
Date: 28-JAN 02:06 Bugs & Features

I'm surprised that not much discussion of Word Perfect has appeared in
these annals. Their shenanigan of pre-selling their beta versions at
Expo has earned them a great deal of animosity, no doubt. In any event,
there's not much to say until you've seen the product, right? Well, mine
arrived today.

Now wait a minute - before you all jump on my case for going along with
their gag...

Please understand that it is going back tomorrow!

When you talk about full of bugs - geez... the thing is a walking
cockroach farm.

First of all it wouldn't boot using the system on my hard disk. I didn't
bother to check out why - probably Suitcase or some other init, perhaps
SuperLaserSpool - who knows - it would hang before it opened completely.
OK - so off to the floppy system (plain vanilla 4.2/6.0). No problem. It
even runs off the hard disk providing this system is being used. Thank
goodness. It even runs - slowly - in 512K. But when reading the Read Me
First type doc that comes with the program, all the menus (except 2)
blank out; they need to be scrolled and descrolled before they show any
entries, and then the fonts are ALL messed up. Wotta nightmare.

Then it won't print in anything but draft mode.

Try to spell check something.... it doesn't like things like "34th" ...
says it found, get this, 85 phonetic 'somethings' in a 1-page letter. Of
course it won't replace or anything like that.

Wait - it gets better.

It doesn't treat graphics any better than MacWrite!

Keep in mind that this program has been in active beta tests for at
least 3 months! It was almost a year ago that we first got word about
shipping betas. Despite this being labeled as betaware version 1.0,
there is no NDA with the program. The documentation appear alright but
is lame in some areas. (2 check boxes on the print dialog box were not
explained at all - but there was a note saying that there might be some
incompatabilities....

Back to the, er, drawing board, I guess. It's probably gonna be OK for
IBM people who occasionally work on a Mac.

And if you like keyboard commands - the Saratoga function keys are fully
implemented. (I wonder if that applies to some of the other (nonMac)
keyboards available?) Plus, there are myriads if keyboard equivalents,
some requiring 2 strokes, some 3, others perhaps more... some use the
cursor keys in combination with command and other keys. Hmm... mebbe the
mouse might be easier after all.

Any other brave (dumb, foolish, numb) souls out there go for this one?

Neil

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------