[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #7

Moderators.Jon.Pugh.and.Dwayne.Virnau...and.Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (01/31/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 31 Jan 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 7

Today's Topics:
                                  Re: C
                               C compilers
                           Re: Cheap Beep tips
                        Req Info - start up disks
                         Bernoulli Box on Mac ][
                           CMS/SCSI hard disk
             LaTex and its previewver on Macintosh requested
                         DNA analysis on the Mac
             How to use Mac for Reaction Time experiments ?
                                Word 3.01
               Question: where are the laserwriter fonts?
                              TML modula_2
                        November 1987 Tech Notes
                                DispPICT
                  1987 Form 1040 tax template for Excel
                         StuffIt 1.31 (3 files)
                           MacKermit 0.9(36)b4

Subject: Re: C
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 88 18:13:05 -0800
From: Jerry Sweet <jsweet@ICS.UCI.EDU>

I've heard good things about Lightspeed C too, but probably the best
long-term path to take is to use MPW and MPW C.  MPW is supported
directly by Apple.  Many third-party vendors are attracted to MPW.
MPW C is pretty fast, particularly on a Macintosh II.  Refer to
the December, 1987 issue of BYTE magazine for information on MPW C.

To get MPW stuff, you have to join APDA ($20/year).  Their phone
number is (206) 251-9798.

-jns

[ Everyone has an opinion. JP :-]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 17:17:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Leslie Burkholder <lb0q+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: C compilers

Will any C compilers for the Mac produce faster executing code than Lightspeed
C produces?

Thanks,
LB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 11:32 EST
From: <EE2Y%CRNLVAX5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Cheap Beep tips

For those of you trying to get Cheap Beep to work:

You put the Control Panel device into your System Folder, along with a folder
containing Beep sounds saved in SoundCap/SoundWave format.  Just name this
folder "Beeps", for example.

Select Control Panel from Apple menu, then choose Cheap Beep icon.  You'll then
be shown a list of all the folders within the System Folder.  Click on the one
named "Beeps", and the beeps within this folder will be listed in the bottom
window.  Click on any sound and hit <Enter> to play it.  When you've found one
you like, leave it highlighted, close the Control Panel, and restart the Mac.
The restarting is necessary for the sound to become the default "Beep" sound.

If you still can't get it to work, then your Cheap Beep has problems.  Oh,
make SURE you're using System 4.1 or higher--the one with cdev icons available
in the Control Panel.

BTW, I've seen a similar program, IBEEP2.  This doesn't seem to work as smoothly
as Cheap Beep, ie: bombs the Mac sometimes.  Plus, you're limited to far fewer
sounds w/ IBEEP2.

Brian Campbell
Cornell Univ.
ee2y@crnlvax5              BITNET
ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu        INTERNET

------------------------------

From: mimsy!rutgers!pc.ecn.purdue.edu!pur-ee!wards@uunet.UU.NET
From: (Sherman Ward)
Subject: Req Info - start up disks
Date: 27 Jan 88 14:42:40 GMT

-------
I am looking for information/opinions regarding "Startup disks".

I am in charge of organizing and updating the "startup disks" for
a dozen "secretarial" (#1) users.  I want to use only "standard"
and "pure" Apple finder/system on my 12 (1 MEG, 2 800K disk)
Macintosh SE startup disks with Appleshare 1.0.

My experience has been with UNIX on VAX 11/780's.  I am ignorant and
naive as to the inner workings on a Mac . My concerns are in 3 areas:

  1) Size of the system .vs. functionallity

     A) Here is the system/finders which I have available:
	 < info about dates & sizes on finder, system, & laser drivers >
	 < deleted >

     B) Questions:
	 what does the increase in size 'buy me'??
 >From @apple.com:han@apple.apple.com Thu Jan 21 13:51:18 1988
 >The increased size results from system enhancements and bug fixes.

		   what is the optimal scrap area (temporary file space)??

     C) What I know at this point:
         i) all stations MUST run the same Laserwriter version or
		the laser will re-initialize with each change.
	ii) some systems & finders will not live peaceably with out
		the appropriate mate(s).

  2) Stability
     A) What is the least trouble some 'collection' of system
	software??  Which ones have received the least trouble/bug
	reports during the first 6 months of release? (Apple you
	should be able to help)

     B) What system version are software developers using??

 >From @apple.com:han@apple.apple.com Thu Jan 21 13:51:18 1988
 >The *ABSOLUTE* bare minumum that I would even consider using would be
 >Finder 5.5/System 4.1.  Doing so may result in bad things.  Doing so is
 >at your own risk and you can't blame Apple or third party developers
 >for crashes.

  3) Downward/Upward compatibility
     A) What is the 'base line' system? Is there a guarentee that
	Apple will 'allways' support and never change the base??

 >From @apple.com:han@apple.apple.com Thu Jan 21 13:51:18 1988
 >Use the most recent Laserwriter Drivers available.

   *NOTE* I purchased 2 packages (MS Word 3.01 & RSG 3) which
	were distributed with Laser Driver 3.1. I install the
	"Latest & Greatest" Laser Driver & weird things
	begin to happen - especially with legal size pages

   Now (minor FLAME): Is it the developers fault that their product does
	     not work correctly when APPLE changes the BASE environment??

   What would you recommend - 1) Stay current or 2) Use what works?

      (I use what works and hope like h%%% that my next set of software
	 uses the same environment :-)

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.  I will summarize if
there is enough interest.

#1 the label "Secretarial users" is not intended to be derogatory, but
   their basic attitude is "give me just enough to perform my job and
   don't confuse me with the details".

#2 I take Byron Han's comments for His opinion & not Apple Policy

|ARPA:  wards@pa.ecn.purdue.edu         USENET:wards@ecn-pa.UUCP    |
|       {decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!wards       |
+-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
|SNAIL:Sherman Ward / Freshman Engineering / Purdue University      |
|      Rm 221 Engineering Admin. Bldg. / West Lafayette, IN  47907  |
+-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 88 14:38 EST
From: <SERETNY%HARTFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bernoulli Box on Mac ][

        Unless IoMega have changed their drivers, I cannot recommend their
line of products.  Their drives will simply not boot <startup> on machines
more recent than the Mac Plus.  I use a 10+10 (not by choice!  my ST238R is
down) and must boot a floppy containing their Tools disk <which I've
patched to return immediately upon launch to ease the process somewhat of
mounting the suckers> {I own an SE w/HyperCharger {another iffy product!
There is no 68020 disable!!!}}
                                Yours,
                            Robert M. Seretny
SERETNY@HARTFORD.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 88 18:04 +0100
From: Arve Kaaresen <a_kaaresen_a%use.uio.uninett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: CMS/SCSI hard disk

My department have a Mac Plus with a HD20 hard disk.
Recently we purchases a CMS/SCSI 80 MB hard disk system.
Do anybody out there know whether it is possible to connect both systems to
the Mac and make them work together?

Thanks.
-------
         Arve

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 88 17:26:00 EST
From: "Kang Sun" <sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: LaTex and its previewver on Macintosh requested

Greeting,
	Can someone send me copies of LaTex and its previewer that run on
Macintosh? Thanks.
-- Kang Sun
sun@yalevms.bitnet
sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Jan 88 23:36:22-PST
From: TOM MALER <RIORDAN.MALER@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: DNA analysis on the Mac

This is in reply to the question from David Detlefsen @ub.cc.umich.edu
concerning DNA analysis public domain programs for the Mac.

>Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 23:06:40 EST
>From: David_Detlefsen@ub.cc.umich.edu
>Subject: DNA and protein sequence analysis?

>Has anyone seen any public domain or shareware programs for DNA
>and protein sequence analysis for the Macintosh?

There are indeed a number of excellent public domain programs that were ported
(and adopted to run on the Mac) by Dr. Peter Markiewicz.

They are:
MOLGENJR1.2    -> this is DNA analysis program
DNAANALYZE 1.2 -> this is another DNA analysis program
t-RNA search programs
punyedit 1.0           -> this is a small editor for enering sequences
THREEalign 1.0   -> aligns 3 protein sequences (not for DNA)
FASTP 2.1          ->this is the famous protein database search program
RDF 2.1             ->evaluates a significance of a match from a fastp search
Libprot 2.1       -> extracts a file from the protein database
The protein database is also supplied  -> is in a no. a smaller files on the disk
                                                                  and these can be concatenated on hard disk

If you want to obtain these programs you can get in touch with Dr. Peter Markiewicz at:
Dept. of Viral Biology, USAMRIID
Ft. Detrick, MD 21701
(301) 6637241

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 16:54:10 JST
From: nojima@nuesun.NTT (NOJIMA Hisao)
Subject: How to use Mac for Reaction Time experiments ?

One of my colleagues asked me the following question.
Any information on this will be appreciated.  Thansk in advance.
---
Do you think it is possible to use Mac for controlling RT experiment,
especially using a voice key.  I found a number of people are pretty
negative, but some others report that they used it.  I would appreciate
any of your suggestions.  GIYOO

	Name: NOJIMA Hisao [NOJIMA is my family name]
	Name(Kanji): $@LnEg!!5WM:(J
	Address: nojima%ntt.jp@relay.cs.net (From Internet)

------------------------------

From: ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET
Date: 	Tue, 26 Jan 88 22:11 AST
Subject: Word 3.01

I am unable to get Word 3.01 to start up from any document
which it has created, although those documents can be opened
from within Word. This applies to documents which run perfectly
well on the Mac I have at home.

At the office, where the problem is, we are running a Mac Plus
with 2 Megs (MacMemory Plus, 256K chips), an FX-20 hard drive
in SCSI position 6 and a Photon 30 hard drive in position 0. Word
coexisted happily with this configuration until last week. I opened
the Mac to examine the memory (I couldn't remember whether it
occupied two or four slots--two is the answer.) Upon reassembly
Word had lost the ability to open from a document. Other
programs (Word 1.05 and Filemaker Plus, for example) have no
such difficulty with their documents.

The system has no trouble when Word is run from a floppy, but
the problem occurs with either hard disk as the startup disk, with
either system 3.2 or 4.2, and with the Photon removed from the
system. (I seem to be unable to get the system to recognize the
Photon if it is the only drive on SCSI bus, although I have run it
that way in the past. It has an external terminator block. I have
removed the internal terminator. That is suspicious, but when the
Photon is physically removed the problem persists with a single
SCSI cable to the FX-20 alone.

I rebuilt the desktop. I got a fresh copy of Word 3.01 from the
master. Finally, I make a backup with Fastback, reinitialized the
FX-20, put a new copy of the system on it, and restored my
files. No dice. The problem persists.

I'll appreciate whatever help you can give me. Thanks.

Stan Armstrong
ARMSTRONG@STMARYS    (NetNorth/BitNet)

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 88 00:04:00 EST
From: "Kang Sun" <sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: Question: where are the laserwriter fonts?

Greeting!
	In my pictures drawed by MacDraw, I used quite a bit the font Symbol.
However, when I generate a postscript file out of it (by press K or F while
clicking on OK), the system says that the printer cannot find the font
Symbol. Is it possible to somehow load the font Symbol to the printer? I think
it is handled somewhere in the LaserPrep file. Does anyone has any idea?
-- Kang Sun
sun@yalevms.bitnet
sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

------------------------------

From: Paul Skuce <mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comtps@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 16:41:33 GMT
Subject: TML modula_2

We are looking around for another Modula2 complier to replace our version 4.1
Modula2 complier from the Modula Corp. Has anyone used the TML compiler or
can anyone recomend another Modula2 compiler.

	Thanks in advance
			Paul Skuce
		Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
		College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
			comtps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
			comtps@hatfield.ac.uk			JANET
			comtps%uk.ac.hatfield@UKACRL		EARN

------------------------------

Date: Fri 11 Dec 87 22:37:34-PST
From: Bill Lipa <P.PRIAPUS@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: November 1987 Tech Notes

I'm sending TN00, TN129 (a revised tech note), TN163, TN164, and TN165 to
info-mac@sumex. I'll send the others as soon as time permits. Please tell
me if they don't come through correctly!

Bill

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN000.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN129.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN163.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN164.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN165.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN166.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN167.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN168.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN169.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN170.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN171.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN172.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN173.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN174.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN175.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN176.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN177.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN178.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN179.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN180.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN181.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN182.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN183.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN-INDEX-WORD.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 22:38:25 est
From: fry%huma1@harvard.harvard.edu
Subject: DispPICT

This is version 1.2 of DispPICT, a XCMD for displaying full color and gray
scale pictures inside HyperCard on a Mac II.  It will open any PICT file,
or GrayView file (i.e, file with PICT resouce with ID=0).  It has many
options, including the ability to specify a windowing environment (complete
with size box, close box, scroll bars, and zoom box), or a borderless fixed
window, like a Post-IT picture.  You can ask it to use the document's
native color table for best possible realism, or use the colors currently
on the system.  You can tell it to wait for the user to close the window,
or to close the window automatically after some specified time.  You have
complete control of where the window will appear on the screen.

The best part is it reports back to HyperCard the pixel coordinates of the
last click inside the picture.  That way your scripts can branch
conditionally depending upon which part of a window the user clicked on,
sort of like transparent buttons.

Please send bugs and comments to:

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-XCMD-DISPLAY-PICT-12.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 22 December 87 15:04 EST
From: M3QJ%CORNELLC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 1987 Form 1040 tax template for Excel

The following BinHexed file contains a StuffIted file with a
very nice 1987 form 1040 tax template for Excel.  To use it you
will need to use BinHex to unhex it and then use StuffIt to
extract the files.  There is information built into the
spreadsheet describing how to obtain a complete set of templates
for tax forms.  Feel free to pass this on to anyone and any
network.  I'm only forwarding this for a friend, so no mail to
me, please.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>EXCEL-1987-TAXFORM-1040.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 18 Jan 88 11:42:09-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: StuffIt 1.31 (3 files)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: STUFFIT 1.31 Date: 17-JAN-1988 17:21 by RAYMONDLAU

[ Updated 17-JAN-1988 17:21 by RAYMONDLAU to version 1.31. 1.31 now has
full MultiFinder compat, adds BinHex support and includes segmenter/joiner.
]

v1.0 adds full support of unpacking, incl. conversion.  Fixes many bugs and
adds a few enhancements (like renaming entries & recognition of large
screens)

StuffIt is a Mac file archival/compression utility utilizing mainly
Lempel-Ziv compression.  This makes it faster and on the average, more
efficient than other compression utilities currently available for the Mac.
Furthermore, you can extract any file from an archive easily (first,from
the middle or last), add more files at a later date, remove files.  To
provide compatibility, there is also an UnPack feature (which *I* do not
claim to be faster than PackIt).

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-STUFFIT-131-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-STUFFIT-131-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-STUFFIT-131-DOC.HQX

Version 1.2 will remain in PackIt format for compatibility.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 88 23:25:09 PST
From: Barrett P. Eynon <barry@playfair.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacKermit 0.9(36)b4

Here is the latest version of MacKermit. This version works on the Mac II
and with Multifinder.  [First unbinhex, then use StuffIt.  Cmd-Q appears to
be disabled in this version.  - Lance ]

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0936B4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0936B4-DOC.HQX

I will remove Kermit 0.8(34) once a non-beta version of Kermit appears in
<INFO-MAC>.

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest