Date: Mon, 8 Feb 88 17:37:39 EST
From: elli@wjh12.harvard.edu (Elli Mylonas)
Subject: Teaching with hypertext/media conference

CALL FOR PAPERS

Conference:  "Teaching with Hypertext," August 8-9, Bowdoin College,
Brunswick, Maine.

It has long been predicted that the advent of hypermedia will have a
dramatic impact on education.  Now, particularly since the introduction of
Apple's Hypercard in August, 1987, hypermedia is becoming widely
available to educators for the first time.  What effect is hypertext having
on pedagogy?  "Teaching with Hypertext" will bring together teachers from
a wide variety of disciplines, both within and outside of academia, to
consider how easily available, cheap hypermedia is influencing them and
their students.

Desirable topics for papers include examples of applications of hypertext
in both formal classroom settings, and independent or less structured
learning environments;  sound and video applications with hypertext;  the
impact of hypermedia on form and pace of curriculum; and the relationship
between traditional hard-copy learning resources and hypermedia.

Please send a 500 word abstract by Friday, March 15 to:

Neel Smith

Department of Classics

Bowdoin College

Brunswick ME 04011

or

dsmith@wjh12.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 88 17:53:28 PST
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: MPW and Ram Disk?

We've used both LS C and MPW C and clearly there are tradeoffs -- I'd
have to agree with those people that said MPW compile and link takes
a lot longer than LS. But there are advantages to using MPW for large
multi-person programming projects.  I'm planning to get a 1mb upgrade on 2
macs so they will have a total of 2mb memory.  Has anyone experimented
using a RAM disk to speed MPW's compiling and linkin up?  How about
a large RAM Cache (e.g., 512K)?  Any suggested sizes for a cache on a 2mb
system without running MultiFinder?

I have heard that some people have used RAM disk with the Microsoft C
compiler with a lot of success. Like MPW, MS C for the pcs is a versatile
compiler but not particularly fast.  It can be configured though to
create temporary files on a RAM disk, etc.  I wonder what would be a
good strategy with MPW?  I've wondered if you could copy everything to
the RAM disk including the compiler tool and save a copy of edited sources on
the real disk as well as the RAM disk.  Who needs copies of the other
files anyhow -- they might as well be written to a RAM disk if you have
the room. THe only drag is that if you crash -- you'd have to re-install
things back on the RAM disk when you re-boot.  But MPW would sure be
a lot better if it was a lot faster.