Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 20:13:31 CST
From: "Kevin Altis" <C413315%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ADB Mouse Fix

Here is a quick fix for [ADB] mouse butttons that are jammed ON
because of a defective case.  Unscrew the case. Add two washers
(approximately the thickness of one normal paper clip {that
story follows}).  I would suggest using a little rubber cement
on the washers to keep them from sliding around.  Screw the
mouse back together, and check the button.  If it is still
jammed on, add another washer.  If it wonUt click or requires
a violent click to register, either take out a washer or use
thinner washers.

Needless, to say, this will void your warranty, but if you
are out of warranty, it will save you the price of a new
mouse.

The Thickness of a Paper Clip.
This solution came to me because we had a mouse go down on
deadline day in the journalism department and needed a quick
fix.  All I had to work with were paper-clips and rubber
cement, so that is where the thickness of a paper clip came
about.  Of course, I haven't yet told my advisor how I fixed the
mouse....

Bill Bumgarner

This problem was mentioned in Delphi Mac Digest, but I didn't know the
mail address to send a reply to.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 23:15:29 EST
From: lucius@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest
Subject: What fonts/DA's must I leave in a System (v. 4.2) file for proper function?

_

	I have a Mac SE with a 20 Mb hard disk running System 4.2/Finder 6.0.
However, sometimes I would like to take a work disk with me to a Mac which
might not have a hard disk or even 1 Mb of RAM; also sometimes I would like to
send a disk to someone, who in some cases might not have a double-sided drive.
Now, I have enough fonts and DA's that the Apple and Font menus run off the
bottom of the screen; this takes up a good bit of the size of the System file,
whose total size is ~630 kb.  This is fine on my Mac (right now at least -- at
the rate I am using up space I will have to get an additional hard disk --
groan -- anyone know of good deals on large Mac-compatible SCSI drives?).
However, it eats up too much space even out of a double-sided disk, and won't
fit on a single-sided disk at all (on a double-sided disk containing a copy of
my System file plus the Finder (version 6.0), without Multifinder, I have
50 kb left).

	So, to get to the point, I know that I can reduce the size of the
System file (which is more than that of the rest of my System Folder put
together) drastically by removing fonts and DA's.  Which of these MUST I leave
in for proper function, and which do I need to leave in to avoid inherent
fundamental inconvenience which would be more of a pain than the size
reduction than they are worth?

	Will it be at all possible to get a useable single-sided boot disk out
of this?  (I doubt it.)  For that matter, will the versions of System and
Finder I have even work on Macs which are too ancient to have double-sided
drives.  (I doubt this also -- if I encounter a Mac with only single-sided
drives and I don't have a disk with an old System Folder on it with me, I am
probably just out of luck -- but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask just to be
sure.)

	At any rate, I would like to experiment with stripping a System v. 4.2
file down to the minimum, but would like to avoid some of the trial-and-error.
If anyone could provide some helpful information on this matter, I would
appreciate it.

	-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
	chiaravi@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Re:IMAGEWRITER LQ & WORD 3.01
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 21:33:15 -0800
From: Lance Nakata <nakata@jessica.Stanford.EDU>

Yes, a new version of Microsoft Word is available.  Version 3.02 supports
the ImageWriter LQ, AppleShare, and the Mac II.

Lance

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 15:42 GMT
From: Ralph <MartinRR%cardiff.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: REdit

Does anyone know if a newer version than 1.2 of this exists, which will
write Rez compatible output, as opposed to RMaker output?

And while we are at it, are is there a version of ResEdit which
understands color icons, patterns and so on?  And which will allow you
to edit windows in the same way that REdit does?  Its a pity the nice
features of these two programs can't all be rolled into one.

Ralph

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 13:05:57 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: GatePost1.7

Hi,
   I am trying to run GatePost1.7 on our sun3.  GatePost is a program which
takes data coming in over the serial port on the mac and redirects it to
a laserwriter on appletalk.  The files print fine, but the sun3 doesn't
remove any of the jobs from the queue after their done.  I have to manually
remove the jobs and then kill the print daemons.  Were using transcript
filters on the sun3.  I set GatePost to 8 bits, no parity, 9600 baud, and 1
stop bit.  I am using the following printcap entry.

# PostScript printer driven by TranScript software
ap|ps|postscript|PostScript:\\
        :lp=/dev/ap:\\
        :br#9600:rw:fc#0000374:fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040:mx#0:sf:sb:\\
        :if=/usr/local/lib/ps/psif:\\
        :of=/usr/local/lib/ps/psof:\\
        :gf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psgf:\\
        :tf=/usr/local/lib/ps/pstf:\\
        :nf=/usr/local/lib/ps/psnf:\\
        :sd=/usr/spool/ap:\\
        :lf=/usr/adm/ap-log:\\
        :af=/usr/adm/ap.acct:

I would appreciate any suggestions for this problem.  GatePost would a
be an ideal program for our set up, if I can get everyting to work.

To Paul Menon, the author, can you make it run in background in multifinder,
and is there a way to preset the default settings and have it automatically
start running when you launch GatePost.  What is the latest version?

Thanks a lot,

John Salmento
PH 128c, Engineering and Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
(412) 268-2673

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 18:10:21 EST
From: "William E. Williams"
From: <BSQUARE%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scientific Graphics Query

I would like people's opinions about Macintosh graphics software that is easy
to use in scientific applications.  Things that would be nice are

          -Ability to handle lots of data (2000 points or so)
          -Error-bar handling
          -Easy interfaces with popular spreadsheets (esp. Excel)
          -Can use scientific notation on axis labels
          -Graphs easily exportable to MacDraw, etc.

I have played with Microsoft Chart (ugh!), Excel's graphing facility, and
Cricket Graph.  Excel can't handle nearly enough points.  Cricket looks quite
good, but my particular application involves points taken every hour or so for
several days, and Cricket Graph doesn't seem to be able to handle mm/dd/yy
hh:mm data (or any other reasonable date format) as a quantitative value for
the X-axis.

Are there any other good packages out there?  If I get a sufficient number of
replies, I'll summarize for the net.

            Thanks in advance,

                              -B2

------------------------------

Date: 13 Feb 88 09:10:22 EST
From: Guojun.Zhang@A.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: contact with ADS & MPDA

On January 14, I wrote Apple Developer Services in CA regarding where to find
the Chinese writing system for Macintosh, and wrote Apple Programmer's &
Developer's Association in WA to order a couple of books. One month has passed,
but I have heard nothing from them. Is their service always so bad? Thanks.

--Guojun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 88 23:55:15 DNT
From: Jakob Nielsen  Tech Univ of Denmark
From: <DATJN%NEUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing on VAX ScriptWriter

     We have a DEC ScriptWriter on our VAX and I would like to use it
for Mac output but have problems doing so.
This printer runs PostScript and I can print some of the PostScript demo
files for the Mac with no problems when I have downloaded them
(i.e. both downloading and the printer itself works OK).
    I get a PostScript from my Mac applications by holding K down
while printing (so I do get the header file included).
When trying to print this file, I get a PostScript error message stating
that the paper size "legal" is undefined (I don't even use this paper
size in my output). OK, so I find the place in the header file that
references "legal"  and change it to a NoOp - after which I do notget any
error messages, but I also don't get *any* output.
    What is the problem?  I can't believe that this problem hasn't been
solved since countless number of people must be using both Macs and Vaxen.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 16:29:29 EST
From: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE%UKCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Phonetic alphabet fonts

Does anyone know of a source for phonetic alphabet fonts like the
IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet).  I'm interest in both bitmap and
PostScript forms (PostScript preferred).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 88 10:42:08 CST
From: Chang <MT8B0101%TWNMOE10.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Greetings

HI, THERE:
IT'S CHINESE NEW YEAR ON FEB. 17, AND THE FOLLOWING CHINESE
CHARACTERS EXPRESS THE BEST WISHES FROM TAIWAN TO ALL OF YOU ON
THE NET LAND. WE WISH YOU A HAPPY ONE IN THE "YEAR OF DRAGON".

       /       /               /
------------  /               /--------------
   \    /    /               /      I
    \  /    /----------     /   ----I------
----------- I    I             I    I
-----I----- I    I             I    I
   / I\     I    I      ------------I------------
 /   I  \   /    I                  I
    \I    /      I                  I

  I      I                       /
  I   ---I----I            /     ------  /
I I      I    I           /--/   I____I /--/
I I---   I    I             /    I    I   /
I I  ----I--------        /---\  I----I /---\
I I      I\               ----------I---------
  I    /   \                      / I \
  I   /      \                  /   I   \

           -------  TO CHANG

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 88 13:58:16 EST
From: Carlo.Tomasi@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: printers

A friend of mine needs a printer for about a year, before going back to Italy.
He would like to buy a laserwriter, but he would prefer one that works with
220 volts. Can such a thing be found in the US ?
Alternatively, if you have an imagewriter you would like to sell, would you
please give him a call. His name is Bruno, and his phone number is 682-2784
(he is usually at home after 10 pm).

End of INFO-MAC Digest