[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #20

Moderators.Jon@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU, Dwayne@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU, (02/22/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Monday, 22 Feb 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
                                CheapBeep
                      Help on TMPL resources needed
                              Tilt and Risk
                         MacSnap ROM enhancement
                      New systems on old hard disks
                         HP laser printer on MAC
                            Palettes & CLUTs
                                SigmaEdit
                                  POP2
                     Creating overlays with MacDraft
                             DW4 to MacWrite
                     Asynchronous LaserWriter driver
                               WordPerfect
                   Chinese-language Operating System.
                     Any public domain or shareware?
          HELP!! GEM Draw --> Mac file conversion prgm needed!
                       Re:  INFO-MAC Digest V6 #17
                           Info-Mac Submission
                              Milo Inquiry
                           BBS in Connecticut?
                             Can't open file
                            Remote LocalTalk
             How to use Mac for Reaction Time experiments ?

Date: Sun 14 Feb 88 22:42:19-EST
From: JA1W@TE.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: CheapBeep

I have heard of a CDEV called Cheap Beep, but I have yet to see it in action.
Does anyone out there in NetLand have it? Is it Shareware or Freeware?

	Thanks,
	Jesse Adelman

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
Jesse Adelman				Disclaimer: I have no money, so I don't
Network Administrator				    care if they sue me for
Macintosh Archive Maintainer			    every penny I've got
Carnegie Mellon University
Internet: JA1W+@Andrew.CMU.EDU		USnail: 596 Dorseyville Road
BITNET: JA1W+%Andrew.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVB		Pittsburgh, Pa 15238
_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 11:33:27 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help on TMPL resources needed

ResEdit uses TMPL (template) resource that describe other resources. By
inspecting ResEdit's built-in TMPLs and by experimenting I found out for
a couple of them, what they are for, but I would rather like to know all
about them.
Has anyone out there a complete list of the four-character codes and their
meaning?
Thanks in advance
 gu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 16:53 EST
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX4.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Tilt and Risk

Could someone please upload the jousting stack, Tilt to the archives?  Also,
I note that there is a copy of a Risk game on Delphi.  Could someone please
upload this too.

Jim Clark
The University of Tennessee at Martin

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  16 Feb 88 20:13:14 +0200
From: Prof. David A. Owen <GDAU100%BGUNOS.BITNET@CNUCE-VM.ARPA>
Subject: MacSnap ROM enhancement

I have received from a friend the MacSnap ROM enhancement (from 64K to
128K ROM) for my Fat-Mac.  He cannot find the installation instructions.
I have opened up my mac and saw no jumpers.  So assume all I need to know
is the ROM chip which has to be removed (High or Low ROM) and the appropriate
way to plug in the MacSnap Board.

I would very much appreciate any help in installing the board.

                              Thank you in advance,
                                        JB
  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bgunos (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      : \:/\   /\/) /:-\   Snail: Mendelson 6, Tel-Aviv, Israel
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ : :_/ Voice: 03-5577519
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen
 Point of view:  A chicken is the means in which an egg reproduces an egg.

------------------------------

Date: 16 Feb 1988 15:42-EST
Sender: LIZZA@A.ISI.EDU
Subject: New systems on old hard disks
From: LIZZA@A.ISI.EDU

        I still use a Tecmar 10M hard disk through the serial
port on my machine at home.  With the release of system 4.1 and
later it will no longer boot from the floppy correctly.  Normal
procedure is to insert a boot floppy which executes an INIT that
recognizes the hard disk, switches to its system and ejects.  The
problem with the newer systems is that when the floppy tries to
launch the finder on the hard disk and ejects itself, the switch
fails and the floppy must be reinserted and remains the boot
disk.  I have workarounds, with the help of QuicKeys, that are
tolerable but I would like a better solution.  I tried setting
the 'switch on launch' bit in the hard disk finder--nada.  Tecmar
is less than concerned about supporting an old product so I am
looking for a patch that will allow the switch to occur as it did
in previous versions of the system.

Thanx--Carl

(Neither cute saying nor logo)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Feb 88 15:03:19-PST
From: Dave Callender <CALLENDER@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: HP laser printer on MAC

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a HP Laser Jet II with a MAC SE.

If it is possible, what cables and software do I need to make it work.

Thanks for your help

Dave Callender

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Feb 88 16:16:05-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Palettes & CLUTs

I am trying to draw color PICTs in color windows and offscreen pixmaps, using
DrawPicture and my own colors (via Save Colors As... in PixelPaint).  I'm
fuzzy on whether I need palettes, color tables, or both, for the windows and
the pixmaps.  The only things that I need in color are the PICTs and maybe the
background color.  What are the general rules for using color tables vs.
using palettes?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 17:30:36 PST
From: Erazm J. Behr <khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: SigmaEdit

Hi, I've been looking all over the place for the SigmaEdit DA
editor; someone sent me a copy a while ago but it had a Binhex
error and I lost contact with that guy. Could you provide any
information on where to look for it? (via ftp or some BBS...)
Thank you very much in advance.             Eric (khayo@math.ucla.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1988 13:59:21 LCL
From: Darryl E. Marsee <DEMARSEE%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: POP2

Does anyone know of any POP2 client software for the Mac (any model)?
We have just installed a POP2 server on one of our UNIX systems, and
have a great many users who might like this kind of service.

Many Thanks & Regards,

Darryl Marsee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 15:20:45 EST
From: csrobe@icase.arpa (Charles S. Roberson)
Subject: Creating overlays with MacDraft

We have a old Mac (512K with SS Drives) and MacDraft v. 1.1 that we use
every so often to create diagrams and such.  One of these diagrams is
a floor plan of our office with rooms, ports, ethernet, terminals, and
workstations mapped out.  What we would like to do is this:  arrange
this MacDraft document such that we have a basic floor plan and each
item (ports, ethernet, etc) can be overlayed (as with transparencies)
to create a composite drawing!  Is there a way to do this with MacDraft
(either our version or a later version)?  If so could someone explain
some of the details [Nobody here really knows much more than the basics
of Macintosh].

It is very important that the component drawings can be modified and
a new composite made, without a tremendous amount of headache.

Please e-mail to me, since I am not a member of this net.  Any and all
help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
-chip
|Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa                 |
|1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet              |
|Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe|
      "One world is enough, for all of us..."         - The Police.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 14:12:57 CST
From: "Larry Pickett, INFOREP"
From: <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DW4 to MacWrite

Does anyone have the answer to converting Display Write 4 documents to
MacWrite format.  I've tried direct conversion using Microsoft Word's
conversion utility, Apple's File Exchange Application, and the FileChange
DA.  I've also started with the RFT output from IBM's conversion from DW4
to RFT and likewise the DW3 result of the same software.  None of the
DW4 to MW attempts came even close.  "RFT" to MW with both Word and Apple's
utilities yielded a message that the file didnot contain a proper RFT document.
How can IBM stuff not be creating a proper RFT document?  Question for another
time.  The only partial success was from the FileChange DA but that's a mess.
Is the only solutin MacLink or some similar animal?  Are both Apple's file
exchange and Microsoft's DCA converter nonfunctional?  Am I missing something
simple? Thanks.
Acknowledge-To: <C4898@UMSLVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 16:04:03 EST
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Asynchronous LaserWriter driver

Does anyone know whether a version of the Asynchronous LaserWriter driver
[alias the "SL Laser" driver] exists beyond version 4.0? I am particularly
interested in a version that will print in the background under the
MultiFinder. Is Apple working on a version based on LaserWriter 5.0?

I am currently using the 4.0 version of the driver to connect to a LaserWriter
over a SYTEK local area network (basically an RS232 network). The only problem
I have encountered is that Cricket Draw cannot seem  to print through the new
driver---all that is produced are blank pages. Does anyone know why?

As this is my first posting to the network, my apologies if the format leaves
something to be desired.

                                         P. Galko
                                         Dept. Elect. Eng., U. of Ottawa
                                         (613)-564-7097
                                         Bitnet:PTRPB@UOTTAWA
Acknowledge-To: <PTRPB@UOTTAWA>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 14:37 N
From: <B127KLUI%HTIKUB5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: WordPerfect

Hi,
WordPerfect Europe refuses to sell me a WordPerfect macintosh beta release
which is available in th usa for $99 including manuals etc. I read about this
in Infoworld. I would be very pleased if one of you guys overthere would help
me. I want someone to buy the WP Mac offer and ship it to me, expenses paid
ofcourse. Please contact me directly at:
Ruud Kluivers
B127KLUI@HTIKUB5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 15:14 EST
From: Kang Sun <SUN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU>
Subject: Chinese-language Operating System.

Greetings,

	Scanning last years MacWorld. I saw a piece of news on the September
issue titled "The Mac Learns Chinese":
	"Pulling the latest international trick out of its hat, in
	June Apple introduced a Chinese-Language Operating System
	for the Mac, called Zhongwen Talk."

	Has anyone ever tried this? I would appreciate if anyone can
provide me with comments, price, and other information on this product.
Thank you.

--- Kang Sun
sun@yalevms.bitnet
sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 12:26:15 LCL
From: "Tony S. Dahbura" <DAHBURA%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Any public domain or shareware?

Does anyone know of a shareware or public domain schematic/circuit layout
program for the MAC SE?  I have been looking at the Douglas Package but at
$3000 it seems to steep to afford.  I basically need something to layout
simple(<40) TTL chips, some resistors etc.  Any info would be a help.

/thanks
/Tony Dahbura
US Mail   : 262 Small Road
            Syracuse, NY 13210
            U.S.A.
Phone     : 315-476-0989

------------------------------

Date: Fri 19 Feb 88 03:00:24-PDT
From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@STAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: HELP!! GEM Draw --> Mac file conversion prgm needed!

HEEELLLLPPPP!

I'm in DESPERATE need of a file conversion program which will take
files made on an IBM in GEM Draw and convert them to ANYTHING the
macintosh will read (including but not limited to: PICT, postscript,
and TIFF).

My lab will buy Macs (we're now 95% big blue and 5% Atari) and I'd
like to see some Macs here.  But the head of our institute has a library
of viewgraphs made in GEM Draw and he won't budge unless he can take them
with him to the Mac.

We seem to have no problem converting Text from IBM --> Mac,and I know
of a program that will convert Bitmaps, but I'm at a real loss on how to
convert object (MacDraw type) files.

ANY information leading to the discovery of how this can be done will
be forever appreciated (well, at least for a long time).

Thanx in advance,
Elliot@star.stanford.edu
	or
323elliot@ecd1.span

Disclaimer:
** I have no relation to anyone except myself, and then only rarely
**	So stand also my opinions...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 8:58:57 EST
From: "Sid B. Bernstein" (AED-EWD) <sidb@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Re:  INFO-MAC Digest V6 #17

	Mac power supplies again.  We are looking at a rapidly dying (or
already dead) power supply in a Mac at the home of my young nephew's
girlfriend.  We need some help.

	Is there an alternative source yet for power supplies?  There are
several sources for the Apple II power supplies.

	Does the supply fail the same way usually?  Is the part proprietary or
can a reasonably handy person replace it him(her)self.  We can get most parts
and already have the TORX screwdriver and clips to pip the case open.

					Thanx,
					sidb@ardec.arpa
					201-724-4776

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 13:13:16 GMT
From: MCSHLS%NMSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Info-Mac Submission

I'D APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES TO THE FOLLOWING 2
QUESTIONS:

     1) DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CURRENT VERSION NUMBER OF
        "XLISP" THAT WILL WORK WITH THE CURRENT MULTIFINDER
        SYSTEM SOFTWARE?  I HAVE V1.7 AND IT ONLY WORKS WITH
        AN OLDER SYSTEM.  I THINK THAT V1.7 WAS COMPILED
        WITH MEGAMAX C.   MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS THE
        LIGHTSPEEDC SOURCE?

     2) MY SECOND QUESTION CONCERNS HYPERCARD.  I AM DISPLAYING
        A TEXT FIELD THAT INCLUDES A SCROLL BAR.  I KNOW HOW
        TO RETRIEVE TEXT FROM A SPECIFIC LINE NUMBER.  RETRIEVING
        TEXT FROM LINE 1 OF THE TEXT FIELD RETURNS THE TEXT
        RESIDING AT THE TOP LINE OF THE FIELD.  HOWEVER, I WOULD
        LIKE TO RETRIEVE THE TEXT RESIDING AT THE TOP LINE OF THE
        CURRENTLY VISIBLE TEXT.  IN OTHER WORDS, MY TEXT FIELD
        ONLY DISPLAYS 1 LINE AT A TIME.  THE USER USES THE SCROLL BAR
        TO GET THE PROPER TEXT LINE INTO VIEW.  I THEN WANT TO DETERMINE
        WHICH LINE HAS THE USER SELECTED.  ANY HINTS?

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT WITH THESE PROBLEMS.

THANKS,

HUGH L. SCOTT

MCSHLS@NMSUVM1
NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY

------------------------------

Date: 19 Feb 88 22:52:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Milo Inquiry

I have tried the demo version of "Milo" that was posted on infomac. I have
tried to contact the authors about this program, as I think it could become
a truly excellent program. I have had no luck reaching them over the net.
Can anyone supply a net address or any info on the future of this nice
math scratchpad program?? I sure hope this thing continues to evolve, as it
looks really good.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 21 Feb 88 01:49-EST
From: "Stephen R. Londergan" <GZT.STEVE%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: BBS in Connecticut?

Does anyone know of any Macintosh (or any kind, for that matter) BBS's
in Connecticut?  I CAN'T be the only Macintosh in Hartford?

Thanks

Stephen Londergan
Stephen@MIT-OZ

Please respond directly to above address, if possible.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Feb 88 16:33:35 EST
From: Dionysis.Rigopoulos@CIVE.RI.CMU.EDU
Subject: Can't open file

A file created with macwrite does not like to be opened any more. Is there a
way to get some of the contents of that file or is it lost for ever?

It apears at the window, yet it gives the message file can't be opened, Ok?
(And till now I say Ok, yet I'm not happy with that...)

Any fast help would be very much appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 14 Feb 88 22:40:20-EST
From: JA1W@TE.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: Remote LocalTalk

Is anyone aware of a utility that allows a user to use AppleTalk over the
phone lines? For games like Maze Wars+ and NetTrek that would be a great
boon.

	Thanks,
	Jesse Adelman

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 16:54:10 JST
From: nojima@nuesun.NTT (NOJIMA Hisao)
Subject: How to use Mac for Reaction Time experiments ?

One of my colleagues asked me the following question.
Any information on this will be appreciated.  Thansk in advance.
---
Do you think it is possible to use Mac for controlling RT experiment,
especially using a voice key.  I found a number of people are pretty
negative, but some others report that they used it.  I would appreciate
any of your suggestions.  GIYOO

	Name: NOJIMA Hisao [NOJIMA is my family name]
	Name(Kanji): $@LnEg!!5WM:(J
	Address: nojima%ntt.jp@relay.cs.net (From Internet)

End of INFO-MAC Digest