Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 16:08 EST
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX4.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Alphabetizing icons

To alphabetize icons, create a new folder, select all, drag them into it,
arrange by name (to alphabetize).  Then drag all back to the original
folder.  The icons will show up alphabetized.

Jim Clark
U TN at Martin

------------------------------

From: ephraim@Think.COM
Subject: Re: Alphabetizing Icons?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 10:15:48 EST

   Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 13:19:57 PST
   From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

   Does anyone know of a way to get the icons to line up alphabetically
   by file name when the <option><Clean Up> selection is chosen?  I'd
   like to be able to do this in both large and small icon modes.
   Thanks.

First, View By Name to get an alphabetical list.
Second, Select All (command-A).
Third, drag them all into the disk or folder they're already in.
Fourth, change back to an icon view.
Fifth, <option>Clean Up.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 15:27:19 PST
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Organizing Icons

I received several helpful responses to my query about putting icons
in folders into alphabetical order.  The general procedure is as
follows:

                    PROCEDURE FOR ORGANIZING ICONS

1) Open folder to be arranged.

2) Move windows so dimmed icon for that folder is visible.

3) Pull down "view" menu, and select order you want items organized by
   (ie., name, size, date...).  Icons will be changed to text.

4) Select all items in window.

5) Drag all items to dimmed icon of folder.

6) Pull down "view" menu and select either "Icon" or "Small Icon" view.

7) Icons will appear in same order as previous text view.

Thanks again.

Steve Dennett
  dennett@sri-nic.arpa

------------------------------

Subject: adding SCSI after memory
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 16:54:55 -0800
From: Mark Nagel <nagel@BONNIE.UCI.EDU>

I never got much of reply about my SCSI question (I wanted to know how
difficult it was to add a SCSI after having already added a 2M Dove upgrade
to my 512e) so I just went ahead and ordered the Dove SCSI.  I installed it
with basically no problems other than having to remove the originally
installed memory board so I could pry the ROMS out of the sockets.  Generally
no fuss no muss.  I have had absolutely no problems with the Dove upgrades
and MacConnection is the mail order store of the GODS!!  I called them on
Tuesday morning and got the port on Wednesday morning.  I still don't know
if any other brand of port would work well with the Dove mem upgrade, but
I guess it no longer matters.

Mark Nagel
Department of Information and Computer Science
University of California, Irvine

nagel%bonnie@ics.uci.edu                (ARPA)
{sdcsvax|ucbvax}!ucivax!bonnie!nagel    (UUCP)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 21:09:45 PST
From: PRUSA@suWatson.Stanford.EDU

There has been some discussion recently on how to
dowload a file that has been uploaded in multiple parts.
(eg. for those large uploads)

One user has suggested that you append the files together before
you download.  This is not the first-best alternative.  One reason for
breaking a file up before uploading is that the possibility
of transmission error ruining a large download is greatly diminished.
   A better idea is to download the files as uploaded.
(I.E. in the various parts)
Then run the APPEND utility on the various
parts (creating a large file), then run BINHEX on the appended file.

   The APPEND utility is available in the INFO-MAC (or SUMEX) archives
under the name APPEND.HQX.

      Hope this helps !!!!!   Happy downloading,
                             Tom Prusa

------------------------------

Date: 	  Tue, 16 Feb 88 06:23:00 PST
From: PEPKE%FSU.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: RE: Overhead Mac Displays

displays:

I, too, was at the MacWorld show, and I looked at all the displays.  Kodak
was indeed there.  In my opinion, the Kodak display was the best at the
show.  The contrast was high, it was sharp and fast, and I could
perceive no row or column artifacts.  It is not surprising that their
display was so good, considering that the first company to my knowledge
which came out with a good display for the PC was mostly owned by Kodak.
Kodak, unlike many of the other vendors at the show, made sure that the
display conditions were as good as possible, which may have exaggerated
the difference in quality.

The Kodak display was, however specifically for the small Macs, and the
salesman there refused to comment at all about their plans for a Mac II
version.

The use of the term "high-powered" to describe the overhead projector is
dangerous.  Everyone who has left an LCD watch on a car dashboard knows
that heat and LCD's are natural enemies.  The original Sayett system, the
Kodak precursor, was said to fail after about an hour on cheap projectors.
So, if you get one of these, make sure that the projector has the magic
piece of glass that stops infrared.

I have no connection with any of the vendors except as a potential
customer.

Eric Pepke                           pepke%fsu.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa
Supercomputer Computations           pepke%scri.hepnet@lbl-csa2.arpa
   Research Institute                pepke%fsu.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Florida State University

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions, let alone
            endorse them.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 8:09:02 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: Re:  Open Dialogue from the Desktop

Matt
What you are asking for partly already exists.  Get QuickKeys by CE Software.
This cdev allows you to define a keystroke or combination of keystrokes
to do about anything, including launching programs.  I have set up the most
often used programs for cmd and menomic keys to lauch.  It works very well.

John Buono

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 01:05 CDT
From: <BOYD%TAMLSR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bug reporting -- how to

Bugs reported to info-mac are interesting.

Bugs reported to Apple get things done.
Applelink:  APPLE.BUGS
MCI:  I think it's APPLEBUGS (you can always search through the apple names)
USnail also works, albeit slower.  Bug Report Center, Apple Co., Inc., 20525
Mariani, MS 27 AN, Cupertino, CA 95014  Attn:  Rosemary Chavez

For a current version of bug reporter, call Rosemary at 408 973 4836.
BTW, the MCI address is indeed APPLEBUGS.

They may not like to hear that there are bugs in their stuff, but they
are always glad to hear what bugs are in their stuff (huh?).

scott t. boyd
the machax(tm) group

------------------------------

Subject: Claris Software Upgrades
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 12:33:04 -0800
From: Andrew Kwan <kwan@BONNIE.UCI.EDU>

An upgrade packet for MacPaint 2.0, MacWrite 5.0, MacProject II, and
MacDraw II can be received by calling CLARIS at (800) 544-8554.  The
packet provides a form and instructions for upgrading.  These
instructions will tell you to send in the master disks and the upgrade
fee ($25 for MacPaint or MacWrite, $145 for MacProject, and $100 for
MacDraw).

------------------------------

Subject: SFGetBox (i.e. minifinder)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 20:30:55 -0800
From: MAC ICS199 ACCOUNT <mac@ICS.UCI.EDU>

Someone inquired as to meandering through the file system with the keyboard
and they 'wished' for a way to go up & down.. There is...

As he said, typing the first few letters will nail it pretty close,
but the up & down arrow keys let you scroll through the list of files,
command (clover leaf) up will pop you up a hierarchial level & command
down arrow will let you go down into a folder..

Hope this helps..
--Roy Lovejoy
-- The platinum adept.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 09:54:25 ECT
From: FALK%NORUNIT.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Versacad 1.0 Review

Versacad 1.0 - review after 12 hour of testing

At first a conclusion: This product is far from finished.

The program itself is very un-Mac-like. The usual click-techniques does not
apply as in other object-graphics programs.
However not being mac-like can be thought of as a matter of personal comfort.
Far more serious is the fact that there are numerous minor bugs, and
professional features that should be compulsory in a  CAD-program is missing.
The program also appears slow and with a 'sluggish' response in many
situations.

PRO's and CON's (except numerous bugs)

PROs:Layer and grouping facilities.
     Object dimensioning
     Window handling and zooming.
     Symbol and libraries.

CONs:No way of edit object-geometry after drawing.
     Lack of alignment of objects after they are drawn.
     Does not support standard screenfonts.
     Does not support graphics on clipboard or import of PICT-objects.
     Limited use of fillets between objects.
     Hatching is almost useless. You have to select all objects that
     borders the hatch area. (Think of doing this with a spline curve
     consisting of 100 points). Then the hatch is drawn as individual
     object lines! No wonder that the response slows down.
     Program don't remember settings and options.

Don't choose this product if ypu are looking for CAD-software.
As far as I know, there is few alternatives, but then it's better to wait for a
new version (or another product - watch out for JONATHAN !)

 Regards Christian Falck.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 08:40:20 EST
From: Joe Simpson <JS05STAF%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: INFO-MAC Digest   V6 #15

I downloaded the 0.9(36)b4 version of Kermit.  The communications settings
menu will permit even parity, but the program I downloaded would not.  The
same is true of the versions on the Kermit servers at Columbia and Toledo.
We use IBM mainframes with 7171 protocol converters as terminal controllers.
They require even parity.

I use the 0.9(36)b3 version of Kermit.  It has worked flawlesly for a month,
including use as a multifinder compliant, but not aware program.  (Just do a
getinfo and change the application size to 128K).  This size works well with
1Kbyte packets!

I sent a message to the KERMERV listserver, but have not received a reply.
I presume by BITNET skills are showing.  If you are having trouble with b4,
you could contact the folks at Columbia and lobby for a reposting of the b3
version on the servers.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 08:27:11 CST
From: "Larry Pickett, INFOREP"
From: <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: kermit 0.9(36)b4 problem

I recently obtained kermit 0.9(36)b4 after using ...b3 for some time.
b4 appears to not initialize my communications port appropriately.  I've
tried to set it to 4800 baud (or 96000 baud) with even parity.  the
identical settings work with version ...b3 but not in ...b4.  anyoneelse
seeing this behavior.  I'm on a MacPlus with the new system and finder.
finder/multifinder makes no difference in behavior.  It behaves as other
packages have when the parity is not set properly.
Acknowledge-To: <C4898@UMSLVMA>

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 88 17:18:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Bug in TeXtures 1.1 Preview

There is a bug in the screen preview in TeXtures 1.0 and 1.1. To see it, do
this: Open the preview window, with any document you like. Move the preview
window so that the window sticks off the left hand side of the physical Mac
screen. Now use the magnifying glass to magnify around the left hand edge of
the window and the edge of the screen. You will see random garbage deposited on
the screen.

Work around: Don't move the preview window off the edge of the Mac screen.
However, since the preview text is not left justified on the preview
window, this reduces the amount of text you can see at once. Other work
around, use Stepping Out so that the size of the physical screen is less
important. Kellerman and Smith have been notified of this bug, so it should
be fixed soon.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88  07:59 EST
From: STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Tex

  Are there any public domain versions of Tex available for the Mac?

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

End of INFO-MAC Digest