Subject: Re: Turbo Pascal Help
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 14:05:52 -0800
From: standish@madeleine.UCI.EDU

Here is a simple program to draw a vertical and horizontal
dashed line, then to draw a crawling ants rectangle with
moving dashed lines. Exit by pressing the mouse button
down for a second or more. Hope this helps.
  Tim Standish, UC Irvine
{------------------------------<cut here>----------------------------------}

PROGRAM DashedLine;

  USES
    MemTypes,QuickDraw,OSIntf,ToolIntf,PackIntf;

  VAR
    myRect: Rect;

  PROCEDURE DashedLine(r: Rect);
    VAR
      dashPattern:Pattern;
      pnState: PenState;
  BEGIN
    getPenState(pnState);  {save current pen state}
    penNormal;
    StuffHex(@dashPattern,'FCF9F3E7CF9F3F7E');
    penPat(dashPattern);
    WITH r DO
      BEGIN
      moveTo(left,top);
      lineTo(right,top);
      moveTo(left,bottom);
      lineTo(left,top);
      END;
    setPenState(pnState);  {restore saved pen state}
  END; {DashedLine}

  PROCEDURE CrawlingAnts(r: Rect);
     VAR
        i: Integer;
        pnState: PenState;
        finalTicks: LongInt;
        pats:array[0..3] of Pattern;  { for crawling ants rectangles}
  BEGIN
     getPenState(pnState);
     penNormal;
     {stuff hex to set up patterns for crawling ants rectangles}
     StuffHex(@pats[3],'FCF9F3E7CF9F3F7E');
     StuffHex(@pats[2],'F3E7CF9F3F7EFCF9');
     StuffHex(@pats[1],'CF9F3F7EFCF9F3E7');
     StuffHex(@pats[0],'3F7EFCF9F3E7CF9F');
     {RGBBackColor(myWhite);  -- if you're on a Macintosh II}
     {RGBForeColor(myBlack);  -- if you're on a Macintosh II}
     FOR i := 0 TO 3 DO
        BEGIN
        penPat(pats[i]);
        frameRect(r);
        delay(3,finalTicks); {delay 3 ticks}
        END;
     setPenState(pnState);
  END {CrawlingAnts} ;

BEGIN {main program}
  setRect(myRect, 60, 60, 200, 120);
  DashedLine(myRect);
  offsetRect(myRect,10,10);
  WHILE NOT button DO {draw crawling ants rect until user clicks mouse}
      crawlingAnts(myRect);
END. {Program}

{------------------------------<cut here>----------------------------------}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 9:05:16 EST
From: "Hugh A. Huntzinger" (CCL-S) <huntzing@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: MacNovice

This question's probably routine by now.  Sorry to bore you:

"I'm a newcomer to the Mac.  Where do I start?"

With all the up/downloading from archives and such, what telecommunication
programs, transfer protocols, uncompact routines and so forth are
priorities to get ahold of to get moving on all the Shareware & Hyperdrive
Stacks & so on that exist to take up disc space?

Likewise, what reference guides should I be reading to learn "DOS" and all
those good Macintosh tricks (ex:  "change this to that to do such") as seen
here in the Mac-Digests.  I know that the stuff in the digest is involved &
looks like assembler-level programming, but with documentation, I'm less
likely to wipe out a disc from ignorance while trying to do something I
can't & shouldn't ("Children will play").

BTW, I've got a ][+ system for sale - like this group really wants to
revert to a 6502!  Nevertheless, all offers considered.

Thanks much!

Hugh Huntzinger, huntzing@ARDEC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 11:25:10 EST
From: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: [tom coradeschi:  Re: Reassembling Files]

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Tue, 16 Feb 88 10:03:23 EST
From:     tom coradeschi  <tcora@ardec.arpa>
To:       Steve Dennett <DENNETT@sri-nic.arpa>
Subject:  Re:  Reassembling Files

What protocol do you use to download? I use Kermit, and what I do is to ftp the
files to my mainframe, and then Kermit using a wildcard designator for the
unique portion of the filename. The VAX then handles sending the files in the
right order and all at one time. It seems to work rather well. As an example,
consider the following files:
TEMP-FILE-PART1.HQX
TEMP-FILE-PART2.HQX
TEMP-FILE-PART3.HQX
TEMP-FILE-PART4.HQX

I Kermit using the command:
kermit -s TEMP-FILE-PART*
Where * is the wildcard designator. Give this a try. If you still have problems
give me a yell <tcora@ardec.arpa> or 201-724-4348.

tom c

----- End of forwarded messages

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88 08:12:00 PDT
From: "SEF::PIPPEN" <pippen%sef.decnet@nwc.arpa>
Subject: RE:INIT-SHUTDOWN-SOUND.HQX

	The following message is posted for a coworker without an account on
our MILNET computer.

	A recent submittal to the INFO-MAC archives is a .PIT
(INIT-SHUTDOWN-SOUND.HQX)file containing a shutdown sound INIT ,
shutdown sound and a third file whose name is show by STUFFIT to be
four boxes and when unpacked turns out to be invisible. The INIT
seems to work fine without it, and the file itself is one block long and
consists only of a data fork. Does anyone know what this file is for ?
What with all the talk on the various conferences about virus programs,
this invisible file with no apparent use has me curious. Post any reply's
on the INFO-MAC conference.

			Mike LeVine
			Naval Weapons Center
			China Lake,Ca

[
Moderator's Note:

I noticed the invisible file too when I unpacked the archived file.  It does
not appear to be anything virulent, just an inadvertant invisible file.  It
is not executable and contains no resources at all.  I think it was just a
screw up.  I will see about getting it replaced with a corrected file.

Jon
]25-Feb-88 10:06:22-PST,2647;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 13:04:51 est
From: magill@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Operations Manager)
Subject: Bad versions of MAC kermit.

There have been several posting recently concerning problems with
Kermit 9(36)b4.

I have been supporting Kermit 0.8(34) for quite some time on the MACs
around here because it works.

Sometime this past Fall someone loaded a copy of what now looks like it was
the infamous 9(36)b3 to one of our public hard disks. After about 30 seconds
of testing it was easy to determine why Kermit no longer worked on that
system - It no longer supported even parity.

It appears that whoever re-wrote Kermit from version 8 decided to trash
the parity provisions of that code and to simply use the Uart in the MAC.
This evidently (according to the 9(36)b4 documentation) has the property,
of simply ignoring any character that it sees which is of the wrong parity.
Personally I find it hard to believe that someone would design a chip like
that, but then I'm not a hardware type.

There appear to be many parity problems in the 9(36)b4 version. And judging
by the comments in the Doc file, it appears that the authors do not
understand communications encodings and their implecations in their various
manifestations.

One nasty thing, for example, is that they seem to be of the opinion that
"no-parity" means an 8-databit character. That is not necessarily true.
One needs to be capable of independently determining the number of data
bits in a character independently of the parity bit. Not to mention the
inclusion of various numbers of whole or partial stopbits.

We happen to have a rather large and hetrogenious network around here and
support all kinds of wierd computers like IBM, HP, Harris, and DEC,
running all sorts of wierd operating systems, not to mention even stranger
things pretending to be front-ends, protocol converters, "transparent"
gateways, and the like.

I would strongly urge that Kermit 8(34) be left in the archives until
the new version works. Even if 9(36)b4 happens to support large packet
sizes and makes transferring Hypercard stacks almost painless at 9600
baud, once you get the parity problems sorted out.

And in case you haven't guessed, you have to specify 1020 to get a 1000
byte packet size.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 18:30:08 GMT
From: "Kieran Carrick,UCD,Ireland"
From: <CARRICK%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TN3270 for Macintosh

I need to source a good TN3270 application for the Mac - Preferably
one that supports Mac II, ETHERTALK and the KINETICS Fastpath.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.
Kieran Carrick
Systems Group
University College Dublin (UCD)
Dublin ( One thousand years a city in 1988)
Ireland
Acknowledge-To: <CARRICK@IRLEARN>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 22:34 EST
From: <SEGAL%NYUACF.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: (Not) Printing With Sys 4.1/Find 5.5/DC I-W 2.6

Ok, I take back all of the nasty things I have been thinking about Red Ryder
9.4 (for now).
I've tried priting using the above mentioned setup on my still-unmodified
Mac+. I've tried printing stuff from MacWrite, WriteNow, RR9.4 and a few
other things and I get BUPKIS!
What's going on? Have I got one of the wrong files (Especially possible
with the IW.)? What else could be wrong? I dunno. I'm sick of having to
HELP!!!!!

Please!!!!!

Slack,
Hail Eris,
Richard Segal.
SEGAL@NYUACF.Bitnet
SEGAL@ACFCLUSTER.NYU.EDU
If wishes were horses, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 22:43:42 EST
From: Atul Butte <ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Desktop Pictures on the Mac 2

Is there any way to get color desktop pictures on the Mac II?  Are there any
public domain inits for this?

Atul Butte
Brown University           /-------\    /---------\
.                          !  OK   !    !  CANCEL
.                          \-------/    \---------/
ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 21:22 CDT
From: CS_SURD@uta.edu
Subject: Turbo Pascal Version 1.00A

When I try to run Turbo Pascal under MultiFinder, my system freezes up.  Is
there a patch that will make it run properly with MultiFinder?  I don't really
want to buy the newer version of it.

Dan Stewart

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88 12:08:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Siegel <rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: WriteNow->MS Word?

Does anyone have or know of a conversion utility to take WriteNow files and
convert them to MS Word 3.0 format? I have some largish (50+ pages) WN docs
full of graphics, and I'd like to minimize the pain.

	Rich

Richard Siegel
Confused Undergrad, Carnegie-Mellon University

The opinions stated here do not represent the policies
of Carnegie-Mellon University.

Arpa: rich.siegel@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rich.siegel

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88 15:00 EST
From: Mark Mandel <Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Design 2.0

Does anyone out there have experience with Design/2.0?  We're
considering it as a tool for drawing diagrams to go with internal
papers.  The reported "private-palette" capability would be an advantage
over MacDraw, MacDraft, MacPaint, and Cricket Draw -- if it means we
could design our own node shapes -- but the old "Design 1.0" betatest
that I've seen uses an awkward pulldown menu to select shapes rather
than a selection palette along the margin.  Any experiences, advice, pro
or con, would be appreciated.  Please reply by mail to Mandel at
BCO-MULTICS.ARPA, if you can; if I get enough to be of interest, I'll
summarize to the net.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88 19:37:25 EST
From: Bull <WCD%VTVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Newguy problems

I'm new on the net, and have been trying to tap the resources available
in the archived files at PUCC. Everything there assumes you have something
to unstuff (or unpack) and unbinhex (hexbin, I suppose). Maybe I'm doing
something wrong.

Anyhow, if there are any samaritans out there who could take the time to
straighten me out, maybe send me the files I need to undo the archived
files, I'd sure appreciate it. Your reward will be great in Heaven...

By the way, how does a Bitnic get into the stuff at SUMEX?

Bull

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88  23:29 EST
From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: March Vaporware

<It ought to be obvious that rumors for next month's column will be
 received with glee.  I'd appreciate documentation of source whenever
 possible.  Rumors related to ANY micro hardware/software/peripherals
 are appropriate -- MAS>

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
               From the March 1988 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Mac II+ (or Mac III).
Although the 68030 version of the Macintosh won't arrive
until next year (see last November and December's columns),
rumors about what the machine will be like exist already.
Look for a 68882 math coprocessor, 8 Mbytes of RAM, and a
151 Mbyte hard disk (with A/Ux taking 30 Mbytes).  The new
system will be priced at about the level of today's Mac II,
and the SE will be discontinued (to be replaced by the
Mac II).  However, system software to really take full
advantage of the new processor's capabilities won't be
introduced until 1990 or '91 (hmmm, sounds like an IBM
move).  - InfoWorld 25 January and 1 February

Blue's Future Looks Rosy.
The awesome Intel 80486 processor, the chip that does
everything (see last July's column), is ahead of schedule.
Intel expects to introduce a 25 MHz version in late '89 with
a 50 MHz model to follow as early as 1990.  The 486 should
arrive just about when needed.  IBM has revealed a "game
plan" of "migration" in which price categories remain the
same, but hardware performance is upgraded.  Current 8086
machines soon will be replaced by 80286 models, and an 80386
computer at the Model 60's present price will appear in the
Fall.  Analysts envision an 80386 PS/2 clone for less than
$1,000 early in the next decade.
- PC Week 9 February and InfoWorld 15 February

Mac Hardware for '88.
The "LapMac" from Apple continues to be a phantom because
Apple still isn't happy with the quality of the display
technology.  Apple chairman John Sculley has indicated that
the "Mac SE 40" (a 2 Mbyte RAM with 40 Mbyte, 28 millisecond
access hard drive SE) and a lower priced Mac II (priced at
roughly $5,000 and $6,000 respectively) will be introduced
later this year.  Either or both machines also will sport
Apple's newest, 1.6 Mbyte, 3.5 inch floppy drive.
- InfoWorld 1 and 15 February and Random Access 23 January

Sun Killer.
Sony Corporation is entering the scientific work station
market with the NWS-841 (to be known as the "News") a 16-MHz
68020 box with a 68881 math coprocessor, 8 Mbytes of RAM, a
1.44 Mbyte 3.5 inch floppy drive, a 286 Mbyte hard disk and
six I/O ports, including an Ethernet interface.  The
operating system will be Unix, and the initial retail price
will be $19,900.  - InfoWorld 1 February

What NeXt?
When last heard from (January's column), Steve Job's NeXt
Computer would arrive sometime this Spring (a scheduled
February intro was postponed until April, or was it June?
Seeing is believing).  Rumor has it that software likely to
be available with the introduction will be Aldus's
PageMaker, Write Now, Word Perfect, Microsoft Word, and
Excel - so far, no database.  - InfoWorld 25 January

Hyper in Only 512K.
Hyper DA will let let owners of 512K Macintoshes use (some)
Hypercard applications.  The program uses a subset of the
Hypertalk scripting language to squeeze stackware into the
smallish RAM.  - Random Access 23 January

Enhanced A/Ux.
Only 5 percent of existing Macintosh software will run under
the new Unix operating system without modification.  At
least 25 companies already have announced A/Ux compatible
products.  Meanwhile, plans to improve the operating system
are well underway.  Among the improvements: eliminating the
need to reboot when switching between A/Ux and Mac System,
support for color applications, and allowing more than one
program to run on-screen at any time.
- InfoWorld 15 February

Excel-erating.
Microsoft recently demonstrated its upcoming version 1.5 of
Excel for the Macintosh that supports color, runs in
background mode under Multifinder, and includes
user-definable menus.  Late this year, version 2.0 will be
released with increased memory support, multiple fonts in a
sheet, cell notes, variable row heights, and sparse memory
management.  - InfoWorld 1 February

Mainframe Software Migration to A/Ux.
Ingres 5.0, Relational Technology's fully relational
database, which runs on DEC VAX's and IBM System/3X
minicomputers will be offered in an Apple Macintosh Unix
version.  - PC Week 2 February

Display Postscript on the Mac?
Apple vice president, Jean-Louis Gassee has indicated that
Apple has no plans to include Adobe's Display Postscript in
the Mac's system software.  Instead, the company plans to
enhance Quickdraw (see following item).
- InfoWorld 25 January

Quicker on the Draw (Find the Hidden Vaporware).
Software wizard Andy Hertzfeld has improved the color
Quickdraw code for the Mac II.  His 5K revision of parts of
the system software can improve the speed of some graphics
operations by as much as a factor of three in some
applications.  Hertzfeld has offered the improved Quickdraw
code to Apple, and it may be included in September's planned
update of Mac systems software (did you catch that?  There's
going to be an update of Mac System in September).
Hertzfeld's routine also may be uploaded to Compuserve in
the near future.  - InfoWorld 25 January

OS/3.
Microsoft expects to release a multitasking operating system
specifically tailored for 80386 computers next year.  Among
the more dramatic new features will be an "enhanced
intelligent file system" and support for a multi-processor
PC.  - Random Access 6 February

MS-DOS 3.4.
IBM will soon end confusion between the PC's DOS and the old
Apple II version by releasing DOS 3.4.  The most obvious new
feature is an optional user-shell with pull-down menus,
windows, and help screens (text, not icon based).  The shell
can be controlled either by keyboard or mouse and contains
many features commonly found in hard disk file manager
programs.  - PC Week 2 February

Artificially Intelligent Mac.
Apple and Texas Instruments are close to announcing a Lisp
chip that will turn a Mac II into a (relatively) low-priced
(at about $8,000) artificial intelligence delivery system.
Lisp processing currently is performed on TI's Explorer II
systems (at $40,000 to $100,000).  Lisp for the Mac also
will come with a high-performance add-in board to let Apple
offer low-cost symbolic processing for AI applications.
- InfoWorld 1 February

50 Mbytes on a 3.5 Inch Disk.
Verbatim Corporation is developing an erasable
magneto-optical drive that will store 50 Mbytes on a single
sided (initially) 3.5 media (only slightly larger than
current 3.5 inch diskettes).  The anticipated price will be
under $2,400.  - InfoWorld 25 January

High Performance Hard Drives.
Next month Microscience International will unveil a series
of 3.5 inch hard drives with capacities ranging from 40
Mbytes to 100 Mbytes and access times averaging under 20
milliseconds.  The 100 Mbyte drive will be available in
versions with high speed SCSI and ESDI interfaces.
- InfoWorld 1 February

Faster Laser Printers.
Adobe Systems says that development of Display Postscript
will soon result in the release of a faster page description
language for laser printers.  The new release will be able
to support printers capable of 60 to 80 pages per minute.
Meanwhile, the Postscript clone printers will offer faster
drivers which will considerably improve the realized print
speed of existing desktop publishing software.  Alas, these
faster new printers won't be any less expensive than the
current, approximately, $4,000 models.
- PC Week 9 February

dBase IV (Continuing Saga).
Ashton-Tate's new dBase with SQL (query language) looks like
it will be a winner when it finally arrives.  The drawback
is that the existing code is still bug-laden, and chances of
making the (currently) scheduled March 31 delivery date do
not look good (latest guess is June).
- PC Week 2 and 16 February

Will IBM Pay Royalties to Apple?
A little over two years ago, Microsoft signed a secret (well
secretive anyway) pact with Apple conceding that the "look
and feel" of Windows was derived from the Macintosh
display.  It is possible that agreement may lead to a claim
by Apple for royalty payments on the IBM Presentation
Manager (maybe that's why the planned $795 price is so
steep).  - InfoWorld 25 January

New MS-DOS Word Processors.
Palantir Software should become the first third-party vendor
to ship an OS/2 application when "HoustonText" (a temporary
codename) is released at the end of the month.  Palantir's
word processor will carry the same $495 price tag expected
for DisplayWrite 4/2 which IBM will ship in the second
quarter.  Word Perfect 5.0 with a command for integrating
graphics into a document and expanded memory support should
arrive this month.  Lotus's Manuscript also will be upgraded
to include macros, integrated downloading of fonts, and
automatic worksheet import.  Both programs will support
numerous "standard" graphics file formats.
- InfoWorld 1 February, PC Week 2 February,
  and Random Access 6 February

Expert Shopping System.
Decision Sciences Professor Thomas A. Williams at the
Rochester Institute of Technology has developed "expert
system" software to advise consumers about running shoes,
washing machines, automobiles and the like.  The system
makes recommendations by matching product characteristics
with answers to questions about personal characteristics,
preferences, and price ranges.  For example, a running shoe
brand would be recommended on the basis of the anatomy of
the consumers' feet, how often and how long they run, and
the kind of terrain they run on.  Williams isn't sure there
is a market for his program; he says "the typical consumer
does not approach a purchasing decision in a logical
fashion."  - Business Week 7 December

But When Will There Be a Modem For It?
Researchers at Bellcor, and R&D center for the seven
regional Bell companies, reports it has set a record for
moving data across a single optical fiber.  Bellcor
engineers were able to send 27 billion bits of information
per second (that's 27 gigabaud) through a hair thin fiber
using 18 different laser beams (each on a different
wavelength).  - Random Access 19 December

When it Starts Complaining, it's Finished.
Scientists at NEC say they've made progress on a neuron
computer based on parallel processing.  By the end of the
year, they hope to have a working prototype using four
processors to simulate a neural network.  The eventual goal
is to form a net of 128 processors and simulate the action
of eight million human brain cells.
- Random Access 26 December

Throw Your Hat in the Ring.
Look for a new piece of software called "President-elect"
that provides for planning strategy and tactics for any of
67 real political candidates in caucuses, primaries, and
media.  One experienced reviewer says the program is very
realistic: experience, honesty, and ability get you
nowhere!  - Random Access 5 January

Disclaimer: My employer often is appalled by my opinions, and
            my facts may be only vaguely right <slippery when wet>.

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

End of INFO-MAC Digest