[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #6

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (03/24/88)

Date: Thu 24 Mar 88 08:08:40-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #6
To: leroy@SDR, Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Thursday, March 24, 1988        Volume 4 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:
     help in recovering backed-up files
     big SE monitors (8 messages)
     Re: HELP accessing time
     Re: Can Hypercard be used _at all_ on a
     Re: Shiva 2400 NetModem
     re: FONT/DA mover and NFNTs
     re: Toggle Cursor FKEY
     MacProject II
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #26
     New Mouse Troubles
     RE: McSink V4.3 (4 messages)
     FCC drops access charge plan
     RE: Apple Sues Microsoft and Hewlett Pac
     4D & Async AppleTalk
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #39 (2 messages)
     Sign maker/cutter for Mac
     re: Word 3 Reader?
     re: Which file does disk block belong to
     re: Printing Scaled Bitmaps
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #40 (2 messages)
     KAO disks (3 messages)
     Vaccine (2 messages)

From: DAVISON
Subject: help in recovering backed-up files
Date: 10-MAR 23:41 Hardware & Peripherals

I am in desparate need of help in recovering a set of files that have
been backed-up with the ProApp 20S back-up utility QuickBackup (Bacchi
Dev.Corp). In an effort to restructure fragmented files I re-initialized
the ProApp drive after making a back-up set of all my wanted files. When
I attempted to restore the files, I discovered that my back-up copy of
the disk utility had flipped a bit or two and would no longer boot.  I
am stuck with an encoded set of backed-up files and no tool to restore
them.  Alas, it appears that the producers of the drive are no longer in
business (at least their phones are disconnected).

Can anyone provide me with
    1. The address of the software manufacturer (Bacchi Development
Corp)
    2. Knowledge of another drive mfg. that distributes this utility
    3. Any other idea that will help me restore my files.

Thanks,

Lynn E. Davison 5015 14th Ave. S.W. Naples, FL  33999 813-455-2279

------------------------------

From: MOONLIGHT
Subject: big SE monitors
Date: 12-MAR 10:23 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone have experience with using a large monochrome monitor withan
SE?  I want to buy one to do figures for scientific papers and
proposals.

Alan Bleier (MOONLIGHT)

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: big SE monitors (Re: Msg 25842)
Date: 12-MAR 13:39 Hardware & Peripherals

I'd recommend a Radius Full Page Display or Two Page Display.

Brian

------------------------------

From: MOONLIGHT
Subject: RE: big SE monitors (Re: Msg 25850)
Date: 12-MAR 18:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks for the recommendation, Brian.  Why do you like Radius displays?

Alan

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: RE: big SE monitors (Re: Msg 25856)
Date: 12-MAR 22:04 Hardware & Peripherals

I am currently using the Nutmeg Hi Top monitor (Nutmeg software, Xerox
monitor).

I am generally pleased with it, but it does take a bit of time to fill
the display of there is a lot of text, the SE screen flickers a bit, but
the Nutmeg seems clear and clean.  I have becomed used to the white
phosphor screen so much that the Mac screen seems a bit blue now! The
reason I got the Nutmeg was price (near $1000).

Bill

------------------------------

From: HAMMEN
Date: 13-MAR 01:20 Hardware & Peripherals

Alan,
  If you can afford it, the Radius Two-Page Display ($2300 list) is
nice. Otherwise, I like the E-Machines Big Picture - the Plus version
has some problems because of the @#$#@$# clip-on connectors, but SE's
don't have that problem :-)

Robert

------------------------------

From: DRITTNER
Subject: RE: big SE monitors (Re: Msg 25876)
Date: 13-MAR 02:16 Hardware & Peripherals

I understand that the Radius had a glitch if you use the accel board in
a SE. I think there is an INIT that fixed it though.

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Date: 14-MAR 03:08 Hardware & Peripherals

If I was going to go to a two-page display (TPD) I might be more
inclined to go with the E-Machines unit (the IQ is incredible for
graphics & gray scale -256 levels!). There have been a few
compatiability problems with Radius units - especially with memory
upgrades, '020 enhancers, etc. The Big Picture does not have these
problems, that I know of, and its color is a soft gray- with a slight
yellowish cast: very easy on the eyes. There are several other TPDs
available and some are quite good. Basically it comes down to what's the
most bang for the buck. Radius is the only one that I have heard has
compatability problems, however. And I'm personally not crazy about
SuperMac.

Neil

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: big SE monitors (Re: Msg 25852)
Date: 12-MAR 20:33 Hardware & Peripherals

They big, they're good, and they have the best software.  The software
is by Andy Hertzfeld, and the hardware (at least some of it) is by
Burrell Smith. ( Right?) They've also been around longer than any of the
other big screen makers.

Brian

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Re: HELP accessing time (Re: Msg 25843)
Date: 12-MAR 19:17 Network Digests

>Re: HELP accessing time
>To: Ephraim Vishniac

Pacing is a technique that isn't just applicable to games. FEdit, for
instance, can scroll impossibly fast with an accelerated Mac SE. Acta's
icons for file import/export also scroll too fast with a 68020. User
interfaces/controls need pacing as much as games, but I seldom see it.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Re: Can Hypercard be used _at all_ on a (Re: Msg 25844)
Date: 12-MAR 19:27 Network Digests

>Re: Can Hypercard be used _at all_ on a 512Ke?

I believe that you can use HyperCard on a 512Ke via the HyperDA desk
accessory from Symmetry Software.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Re: Shiva 2400 NetModem (Re: Msg 25845)
Date: 12-MAR 19:35 Network Digests

>Re: Shiva 2400 NetModem

We have been using the Shiva 2400 NetModem in the San Francisco office
of MacWEEK for some time. It does work, but our network there is
overloaded and we've experienced some problems that may be due to the
overload. Desktop Express has had some trouble ("XPC errors"), but I'm
not sure whether it's the local access number or the NetModem.

You can dial into the NetModem and connect to AppleTalk via the Async
AppleTalk DA. It's horribly slow in my experience, even at 2400.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: FONT/DA mover and NFNTs (Re: Msg 25844)
Date: 13-MAR 02:06 Network Digests

 > From: newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery)
 > Subject: FONT/DA mover and NFNTs
 > [Alert readers will have (correctly) concluded that I hacked the
Adode
 I didn't conclude anything of the kind -- you said Adobe supplied
NFNTs. As for making the non-plain fonts not show up in menus, your best
bet is to rename the fonts to begin with a '.' or '%'.  Some programs
that use scrolling lists will still show them (not mine, of course).

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Toggle Cursor FKEY (Re: Msg 25845)
Date: 13-MAR 02:06 Network Digests

Hertzfeld's cursor doubler probably plays directly with cursor routines,
which are different on the II.  I don't think it's out yet, but Stepping
Out II may give you a big cursor option.

 David Dunham     "A mind is like a parachute.  It only functions when
open."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: TRAINBRAIN
Subject: MacProject II
Date: 13-MAR 16:38 Business Mac

Has anyone had any experience yet with MacProject II?  In particular
does anyone know whether it supports resource spreading?  That is, does
it have a scheduling mode that prevents overlapping of resources?

Any information on this product would be appreciated.  Have any reviews
appeared in the trade press yet?

Thanks

Steve Seidensticker

------------------------------

From: BERTIER
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #26 (Re: Msg 25711)
Date: 14-MAR 19:56 Network Digests

re: Request for wargamers (Re: Msg 25711)

 > From: <PORTERG%VCUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
 > Subject: Request for wargamers

I play the multiplayers boardgames (Diplomacy, Junta...), the simulation
games (Austerlitz, Cry Havoc ...) and the RPG (Reve de Dragon, Paranoia
...) as well as traditional games (Chess, Go).

Antoine Bertier         "Roi ne suis, Prince ne daigne"

------------------------------

From: YMUG
Subject: New Mouse Troubles
Date: 17-MAR 03:08 Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone else here had any experience with the new mice? Had one for less
than two weeks. The Mac started bombing, reseting, video chrashes of the
worst sort (use your imagination). Pulled out memory, put it back
in,...scratched head ;-), finally removed the mouse and all troubles
went away...learned how to use mouseKeys that night. ;-) I'll be back.

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND
Subject: RE: McSink V4.3 (Re: Msg 25928)
Date: 17-MAR 08:26 User Supported Software

Dave,

    I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I downloaded V4.3 and it
bombs immediately upon exit under MF. I have a MacII, running
quickergraf,Moire (screensaver), and MFMenu inits. If I open McSink
immediately after restarting, do nothing except click the goaway box,
then the McSink window goes away, leaves a hole in the desktop and hangs
(once it took the screen with it). This reproduced three times under MF
and does not happen under the simple finder. No error msgs and I have to
pull the plug (why does apple do that ? - I hate it when even the on/off
switch on my computer thinks its smarter than I am). Once I tried some
opertions in McSink before quiting and they seemed to go OK - loaded
file, moved text around, got statistics, etc.

    Haven't had time to delete inits to see if any of those are causing
problems, but I didn't have similar problems with earlier versions of
McSink. Maybe the download was bad, but there were no objections from
VersaTerm.

    If there's anything else I can do to supply useful info, just let me
know. I'm about ready to make McSink my standard editor, but I don't
like it well enough to never want to leave it ...

Mike Burns

------------------------------

From: DMCWHERTER
Subject: RE: McSink V4.3 (Re: Msg 25939)
Date: 17-MAR 17:45 User Supported Software

Well, I don't like it well enough to never leave it either! I just tried
to duplicate this several times, and couldn't. I have basically the same
config, except I don't have quickergraf and Moire. Do you by any chance
have an Init called PopIt installed? Several people have reported
problems with that. I'm going to try and download that tonight and see
if I can find out what's going on with it. Otherwise, I don't know
what's causing your problem. Anyone else seen this with V4.3?
   Dave

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND
Subject: RE: McSink V4.3 (Re: Msg 25943)
Date: 17-MAR 19:49 User Supported Software

Dave:
    Got home from work and started tossing inits - finally found that
MFMenu seems to be the culprit. McSink works fine with all except that
one and when I add it - gone. (I did have Popit but it was in my
inactive folder throughout).

    I worry a little because when I looked at my system file yesterday
there was a strange resource - something like -(E3439587) ; I had to
install one protected application a while back (sorry - it was necessary
for work- otherwise I don't touch CP stuff) and I suspect it is
connected with that. Other than that I think system is pretty vanilla.

    Anyway even if its not an answer, maybe this will help on where to
look.

Mike

------------------------------

From: HALL
Date: 17-MAR 22:41 User Supported Software

I've had problems with the Moire screen saver CDEV.  I had to remove it.
 :-( It was nice, but wouldn't work with everything.  If the author's
around, please fix it!

Brian

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: FCC drops access charge plan
Date: 17-MAR 14:46 SIG Business

According to a story in the Wall Street Journal this morning, FCC
Chairman Dennis Patrick has decided to drop the plan for charging access
fees to connect to local packet network ports.  The plan was dropped
because of intense political opposition in Congress and opposition by
users of computer information networks, who wrote more than 10,000
letters to the FCC opposing the access fees.

Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) says that his office will continue to
monitor FCC proposals to make sure this proposal does not resurface in
an alternate form in the future.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: Apple Sues Microsoft and Hewlett Pac (Re: Msg 25959)
Date: 19-MAR 06:55 Business Mac

I hope everyone realizes that if Apple forays into enough donnybrooks
like this they will eventually face their own unbundling of system
software and hardware.

In the 1960's, IBM was sued for only selling their hardware and
software.  That is, they included the software for nothing while it was
by far the most costly part of the product.

Apple faces a similar situation now.  With the increasing technological
sophistication of modern computer users (I hestitate to say, in all
honesty, of the modern public) the outcome of one of these lawsuits
could be that they will have to unbundle the ROMs as well.

If Microsoft and HP are involved in a serious suit, they will surely
counter- claim that Apple is engaging in anti-trust (that is,
monopolistic) business practices.  Folks, Apple _is_.  The intellectual
property laws which they rely on to protect their machines were never
designed to protect the function and effect of a physical device.
Copyright was intended only to protect authors from copying - the
effects of artistry is deemed embodied in the actual form of the work.
What Apple have is a method of using a computer.  I am uncertain if it
is even the proper subject matter of a patent.

On the other hand, I always applaud Apples' attitude of targeting
important legal issues and getting the law clarified.  It is just that
they are set for a severe boomerang on one of these.

Laird

------------------------------

From: PROTEUS1
Subject: 4D & Async AppleTalk
Date: 20-MAR 08:21 Programming

Hello, this question concerns the use of software, designed for US-made
Macintosh systems on european models. The program particularly in
question is 4th-dimension. I heard rumors that: - the us-version of 4d
does not run on european macs (diff. roms) - the us-version of 4d does
not run on european versions of
  the system and/or finder The later would not be a problem, because I
can use the us-system on european macs. The second item on my
"need-information" list is a documentation of the "async AppleTalk"
protocol.  I was told about the existence of this protocol on the
MacWorld expo in San Francisco. The application I have in mind is to
implement a device-driver on a DEC PDP 11 machine to use the Apple
Laserwriter via AppleTalk. Any hints and help would be appreciated.
marcus

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #39 (Re: Msg 25985)
Date: 20-MAR 09:50 Network Digests

>to: hellerst@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein)
>Subject: Micah hard drive recs wanted

Micah had some trouble with a batch of SMS controllers, but they have
switched to embedded-controller drives according to VP of Engineering,
Larry Deleski. They seem to be concerned with maintaining high quality,
but I'm not sure there are enough drives in the field to substantiate
the claims yet.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Date: 20-MAR 09:56 Network Digests

>Re: MIDI software

There are two things I know of that may help getting started in writing
MIDI applications: MacTutor magazine has had 2 articles on writing MIDI
drivers, complete with source (assembler) code. These drivers do work.
[PO Box 400    Placentia  CA  92670  714-630-3730 for MacTutor]

The other possibility is to call Dave Oppenheim/Opcode Systems
[415-321-8977]. I think they sell a MIDI driver (probably without
source).

I'm disappointed that no full-fledged library of MIDI subroutines has
come to market with good documentation, and I'd like to hear of anything
else along these lines...

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: GIB
Subject: Sign maker/cutter for Mac
Date: 20-MAR 17:12 User Supported Software

I want to use my Mac to create those vinyl cut-out-and-stick signs
you've seen professional sign companies make.  Anyone know about
software and a plotter (or is it a cutter?) that are Mac-compatible?

--Gib

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Word 3 Reader? (Re: Msg 25984)
Date: 21-MAR 01:16 Network Digests

 > From: clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group)
 > Subject: Word 3 Reader?
 If I got a Word 3 file, I'd probably read it with PageMaker 2.0a.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Which file does disk block belong to (Re: Msg 25985)
Date: 21-MAR 01:16 Network Digests

 > From: perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins)
 > Subject: Which file does disk block belong to?
 My backup program usually tells me when it can't read a file.  So try
backing up your entire hard disk (which you were going to do anyway,
right?).  When I find a bad file this way, I rename it (by adding ".bad"
to its name), then restore it from a previous backup.

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be
illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be
illegal."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Printing Scaled Bitmaps (Re: Msg 25986)
Date: 21-MAR 01:17 Network Digests

 > From: peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele)
 > Subject: Printing Scaled Bitmaps
 What you're seeing is a rounding problem; 72 dpi doesn't scale exactly
to 300 dpi.  There's a setting in Page Setup that's supposed to take
care of this ( precision bitmaps).  Note that 96%, 72%, 48%, 24% all
give you integer LaserWriter pixels needed to represent a screen pixel.

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #40 (Re: Msg 25986)
Date: 21-MAR 22:07 Network Digests

To: !hoptoad!astral!sunny

Sunny,

Thanks for the reply.  Let me clarify what was apparently confused:

Running the latest MacWorks and the system Sun ships with their HFS
update, disk formatting works.  If the disk was formatted before,
something in the software spends a long time counting nibbles and
stepping tracks before it says the format is okay.  Don't ask me, it
just takes a long time and makes a bunch of noises.

I did not try using the old 6504 (floppy DMA(!) controller) ROM in the
2/10 before I swapped the drive into my 2/5.  Lisa Workshop formatting
works but Maccom reported an error with the original ROM and the new
drive (a Chinon). I did not test it extensively.

With the double-sided driver, the 2/5 processed double-sided disks - up
to a point.  It was unreliable.  I formatted a disk double-sided on the
hybrid, and it seemed to work reliably that way.  I only tried that one
disk.  There are enough differences between the 2/5 and 2/10 that I am
sure the ROMs are incompatible:  for instance, the 2/10 has an IWM and
the 2/5 has a Woz state machine interface board.

For the curious, the Lisa uses a 6504 with 4K ROM and 1K RAM _shared_
with the 68000.  Some copy protection schemes used the 1K for
programming, but if you want to read in a block at 512 bytes plus tags,
your routine had better be pretty small.  The engineers behind the DS
drive must have felt that it was better to burn new ROMs than to try
such patchwork.

I am curious too.  I will try putting a DS Sony drive into my 2/10
before I send its ROM back, just to see.  I would expect it to work fine
and to fit with the Widget's fan.  The Chinon drive is just a little too
long.  Despite the assurances of the seller that it could not be a
problem, the problems I had with the Widget immediately after removing
its fan were very much like what I had with another hard drive whose fan
I removed due to noise.

As for my internal drive, this very reliable piece of hardware has
worked very well since I replaced the controller boards and put the fan
back in. Personally, I do not believe that heat was a problem, as I keep
my house _cold_, but I have described what happened.

The patch I described only affects those systems whose internal hard
drive is disfunctional.  The original software did a CloseDriver,
GetResource, OpenDriver, DetachResource.  If you do a GetResource,
CloseDriver, OpenDriver, DetachResource, the Resource Manager has not
"lost" the address of the driver you want to install, and thus does not
attempt to read it from disk. Sun's software still leaves stray traf
like SonyVars in the System Heap. The .Sony driver in MacWorks, which I
had occasion to look at, does nothing more in its Close routine than
return #noErr.

Here is a disassembled comparison of the changes I made to the INIT,
thanks to MacNosy.

    1A: 4E56 FFF8      'NV..'  proc2    LINK    A6,#-8
    1E: 48E7 0108      'H...'           MOVEM.L D7/A4,-(A7)
    22: 42A7           'B.'             CLR.L   -(A7)
    24: 2F3A 003C      1000062          PUSH.L  data3       ; 'DRVR'
    28: 3F3C 0004      '?<..'           PUSH    #4
    2C: A9A0           '..'             _GetResource ; (theType:ResType;
                                                     ;
ID:INTEGER):Handle
    2E: 285F           '(_'             POP.L   A4
    30: 4267           'Bg'             CLR     -(A7)
    32: 3F3C FFFB      '?<..'           PUSH    #$FFFB
    36: 4EBA 005E      1000096          JSR     CloseDriver
    3A: 3E1F           '>.'             POP     D7
    3C: 4267           'Bg'             CLR     -(A7)
    3E: 487A 001A      100005A          PEA     data2       ; '.Sun800'
    42: 486E FFFC           -4          PEA     vac_1(A6)
    46: 4EBA 001E      1000066          JSR     OpenDriver
    4A: 3D5F FFFC           -4          POP     vac_1(A6)
    4E: 2F0C           '/.'             PUSH.L  A4
    50: A992           '..'             _DetachResource ; (theResource:
                                                        ;  Handle)
    52: 4CDF 1080      'L...'           MOVEM.L (A7)+,D7/A4
    56: 4E5E           'N^'             UNLK    A6
    58: 4E75           'Nu'             RTS

    1A: 4E56 FFF8      'NV..'  proc2    LINK    A6,#-8
    1E: 48E7 0108      'H...'           MOVEM.L D7/A4,-(A7)
    22: 4267           'Bg'             CLR     -(A7)
    24: 3F3C FFFB      '?<..'           PUSH    #$FFFB
    28: 4EBA 006C      1000096          JSR     CloseDriver
    2C: 3E1F           '>.'             POP     D7
    2E: 42A7           'B.'             CLR.L   -(A7)
    30: 2F3A 0030      1000062          PUSH.L  data3       ; 'DRVR'
    34: 3F3C 0004      '?<..'           PUSH    #4
    38: A9A0           '..'             _GetResource ; (theType:ResType;
                                                     ;
ID:INTEGER):Handle
    3A: 285F           '(_'             POP.L   A4
    3C: 4267           'Bg'             CLR     -(A7)
    3E: 487A 001A      100005A          PEA     data2       ; '.Sun800'
    42: 486E FFFC           -4          PEA     vac_1(A6)
    46: 4EBA 001E      1000066          JSR     OpenDriver
    4A: 3D5F FFFC           -4          POP     vac_1(A6)
    4E: 2F0C           '/.'             PUSH.L  A4
    50: A992           '..'             _DetachResource ; (theResource:
                                                        ;  Handle)
    52: 4CDF 1080      'L...'           MOVEM.L (A7)+,D7/A4
    56: 4E5E           'N^'             UNLK    A6
    58: 4E75           'Nu'             RTS

The second selection is the original.  You can see that it closes the
DRVR straight away before querying the Resource Manager.  However, if
the only device available to boot from is the diskette drive, you have
to do it my way.  You can apply the changes from 22 to 3A if you feel
the need and have Multi-Port Install and a 2 Port card to fall back on
if the internal hard drive fails.

Dafax Processing Corp. is offering a 20 megabyte external drive which
they want UniPlus+/Xenix users for, to make sure of compatibility.  They
assume that laying on an Office System format will result in a disk that
the Unix system can read.  They also sell a "Multi-Port Install" program
which works fine to allow MacWorks to access hard drives on parallel
cards.  I used it to limp along while resolving my internal hard disk
problem.

I personally would like to get a hold of a Unix software package for a
Lisa, just to see how the thing works, basically.  I understand it is
slow.  I am not too swift myself sometimes.  UniPlus+ serializes to the
video state chip on the CPU board (now hacking THAT would be a
challenge) and Unisoft will no longer sell it (they were also in on the
A/UX port, incidentally), so I will settle for whatever I can get.

--
Laird J. Heal
Delphi:  MACLAIRD

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 23-MAR 22:47 Network Digests

To: !hoptoad!astral!sunny

Sunny,

As an addendum, I have tried the DS Sony drive (a Macintosh part, 661-0305?)
this evening (3/23/88).  I ran the ribbon cable out the diskette slot rather
than cobble up the mounting before I tested it.  It cost just under $200 for
the drive, new.

First I tried it with the original 6504 ROM.  It was slower than molasses in
the winter, but appeared to work.  Then I swapped in the ROM I got with that
Chinon drive.  Not only did it work right that way, but it seemed to be much
faster than the Chinon ever was.

Lisa Workshop and Maccom have the same kind of formatting woes they had with
the Chinon and new ROM, but probably could read and write disks okay.  Thus,
this is a MacWorks-only kind of solution.

Now I get to tinker with spacers and all of that stuff.  No need to "ban the
fan" this time, fortunately...and no one will look at how it fits, either.
--
Laird J. Heal                                    Necessity sure is a mother!

From: DSACHS
Subject: KAO disks
Date: 22-MAR 21:37 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone used KAO 3-1/2" floppies extensively? A high pressure salesman type
is trying to persuade my employer to buy KAO floppy disks. The samples I tried
have worked well but hardly constitute a strong test.

I am well aware that the 3-1/2" floppy situation is very different than 3 years
ago when such disks were either Sony or phoney. What are the good brands now?

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: KAO disks (Re: Msg 26058)
Date: 23-MAR 02:17 Hardware & Peripherals

Dave, we have used KAOs. I don';t recall the failure rate but it was ~rpretty
low - something like 1 in 500. We did experience a higher number of failures
with one color, as opposed to other colors; probably a local anomaly, i.e., not
widespread over long enough poeriod of time to be significant. One thing I do
know, we never had any trouble with the dark blue disks. Over time we've used
Sony, Maxell, KAO, and TDK. Our failure rates seem to be pretty low everall -
less than 1 in 1000. We sell about 3,000 a month so that's pretty reliable. I
think we've started using the C.Itoh disks recently, but haven't got enough
history to warrant a guess on their reliability.

Neil/PMUG

------------------------------

From: HALL
Date: 23-MAR 22:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Everything that I've heard about Kao has been good.  I've checked into them as
much as I can.  (I'm considering ordering quite a few.)  One of the local PC
groups buys about 20,000 of them in assorted sizes every month, and they have
very few returned disks.  Apparently they tried Sony and didn't have the same
kind of quality.  I've also been told that quite a few people use the DS Kao
disks as high density without any trouble.  Considering the way disks are
manufactured, I'd tend to believe that. As for good disks in general, I'd say
Kao, Sony or Maxell.

Brian

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: Vaccine
Date: 23-MAR 21:34 Business Mac

Someone who knows how to use CIS forums might want to report to D. Brown that
Vaccine bombs if system has a locked init file.  best jim

------------------------------

From: MACGICIAN
Subject: RE: Vaccine (Re: Msg 26069)
Date: 23-MAR 22:12 Business Mac

    I have also had the unfortunate "pleasure" of discovering that Vaccine and
Lightspeed Pascal and Lightspeed C do not get along!  There is something about
the way that both of those development system work that cause Vaccine to do
everything from giving bad messages to crashing the system irrevocably. I have
reported this problem to both companies and have removed Vaccine from my system
since it is very hard to write code without a working compiler..
    Leonard

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------