[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #7

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (04/12/88)

Date: Tue 12 Apr 88 10:27:42-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #7
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, April 11, 1988          Volume 4 : Issue 7

Today's Topics:
     RE: StuffIt 1.31 problem?
     re: Dialog Boxes with Scrollable region
     screwed again by MS Word (3 messages)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #32 (3 messages)
     Verbatim/Jasmine/NuData cartridge proble
     RE: Verbatim/Jasmine/NuData cartridge pr
     PowerStation & Suitcase
     DataSpace TeleNode remote AppleTalk
     puzzled
     OpenResFile from an INIT (3 messages)
     color in basic (3 messages)
     re: Proposal for enhancements to the Mac
     RE: Hammer300
     RE: 256K carrier boards
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #35
     RE: Disk Cataloging Programs, again...

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: StuffIt 1.31 problem? (Re: Msg 26070)
Date: 25-MAR 21:13 Bugs & Features

Latest status. I downloaded a new copy of 1.31, and it works fine. So
I'm chalking the problem up to bitrot, not Stuffit. Thanks to everyone
for the help.

chuq

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Dialog Boxes with Scrollable region (Re: Msg 26106)
Date: 27-MAR 02:28 Network Digests

 > From: lipsett@inmet.UUCP
 > Subject: Dialog Boxes with Scrollable region
 > I am trying to build a dialog box with a scrollable region embedded
 > use a filter function to ModalDialog
 A filter proc (read Knaster's 2nd book, nobody calls them filter funcs
:-) is exactly the way to do it.  It's not at all an incredible hack.
You get the event, you call the list manager with an LClick.  You tell
ModalDialog not to bother with the event.  Simple.

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: screwed again by MS Word
Date: 27-MAR 13:05 Bugs & Features

Word Users:

  Let me tell you about a little problem I had with Word 3.02, so you
don't run into it. I had been working on a manual and decided to save
it, and compress it. This means turning off Word's Fast Save option. I
know of no way to do this other than by doing a Save As and turning it
off there.
  I did a Save As and used the same name as it had before. (This has
worked in the past.) Word went into an infinite loop and I now have a
file that is completely unusable and unrecoverable. I'm obviously not
happy with this program, but I have more respect for Microsoft, at
least, than for Ann Arbor Softworks. I wonder how Word Perfect is coming
along...

Ric Ford

P.S. Word has 1.5MB of my 2.5 total to play with and I'm not running
MultiFinder or any weird INITs.

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: screwed again by MS Word (Re: Msg 26146)
Date: 27-MAR 22:47 Bugs & Features

I have never lost a file to Word's overwriting itself with Save AS. And
I use it a fair amount, since Ready, Set, Go 4.0 is sludgy as hell with
any word file that has been saved more than once. Word writes to a temp
file and then does a delete and rename, so unless you get hit in exactly
the wrong moment, you should be okay. And you can always save copies of
things, either in Word or via one of the DA's that copies files.

chuq

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: screwed again by MS Word (Re: Msg 26170)
Date: 29-MAR 19:52 Bugs & Features

When you save as in this manner, the original file is NOT destroyed
until the new file is completely saved. You might be able to recover you
data from one of the Word Temp files.  I prefer to use the backup option
when making extensive changes.

------------------------------

From: HAMMEN
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #32 (Re: Msg 26087)
Date: 27-MAR 22:05 Network Digests

>To: "William E. Williams" <BSQUARE%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject:Resource Editor

>I notice that there haven't been any updates of the freebie resource editor in
>some time.  Does this mean that MPW has pre-empted the field?  Does anyone

Apple is working on ResEdit, trying to make it more MultiFinder
compatible. Version 1.2 should be released for electronic distribution
in a few weeks. Unfortunately, that electronic distribution won't
include Usenet or Info-Mac since there is no official entity to be able
to sign Apple's licensing agreement (and pay the yearly fee). It will be
available from all of the major services (like Delphi) and also as a
seperate product from APDA. Users Groups and BBS' that have signed the
licensing agreement will also be able to distribute.

 Robert Hammen
 hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
 uwvax!uwmacc!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen

------------------------------

From: HAMMEN
Date: 27-MAR 22:06 Network Digests

>To: Rahaim%UMass.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
>Subject: Mouse Technolgy's A+ Mouse

>  Has any one had any Experience with the A+ opticle Mouse? I am getting
> frustrated with me old mouse (2+ years old) and am thinking of moving

I've used the A+ mouse. It's cheaper than repairing or replacing your
old Apple mouse, but whether or not you like it is a matter of personal
preference. I personally prefer the Apple mouse. The optical mouse
requires a gridded pad and you have to keep the mouse fairly straight on
the grid for it to track correctly - I tend to keep my mice at an angle,
and thus had problems adjusting. I do havetwo friends who have had them
for 2 years and are very pleased with them...

From: HAMMEN
Date: 27-MAR 22:07 Network Digests

>To: JA1W@TE.CC.CMU.EDU
>Subject: 'snd ' -> SoundCap

>Is there any utility out there which converts 'snd ' (Hypercard) resources
>to SoundCap (data fork) sound files? All of the conversion programs that I have

Well, I know of no utility (though I would like one), here's a procedure
that was originally posted to Usenet:

In article <6399@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Marc Sarrel) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of a utility that converts from snd resources
>to soundcap files?  I have one that goes the other way.  However, I like
>CheapBeep better that I like IBeep2 and I'd like to convert a whole
>bunch of sounds.

I asked this same question a few months ago and received the following
instructions.

First, you will need an MFS format disk (remember them?) or an MFS
RAMdisk. and a version of FEdit that supports reversing the forks of the
file.

The procedure is simple.  Copy the snd resource file (see note later) to
the MFS volume.  Launch FEdit and open the file.  Select the menu entry
for 'Reverse Forks'.  Save the file but before closing it, go to the
'Finder Information' menu item and set the Creator and Type
appropriately for SoundWave/SoundCap files (I don't remember them off
hand).

That's all there is to it, except the sound file may need a little
judicious editing in FEdit at the start and end.

NOTE: (as mentioned earlier) if the snd resource does not exist as a
file by itself, you will need RedEdit to create one for it.  Launch
ResEdit, select 'New' to create a new, empty file, and copy the snd
resource to it. Exit RedEdit and save the new file on the way out.  Then
proceed with the steps outlined above.

This routine is somewhat crude, but it does work.  (At least, it does
for me.)

                Dale M. Arends  (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
                {...}!amdahl!cerebus!dalea

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Verbatim/Jasmine/NuData cartridge proble
Date: 29-MAR 17:10 Bugs & Features

Hi,
  I'm looking for feedback from people who have experience using the
10MB cartridges from Verbatim in Jasmine MegaDrives or NuData DataCell
10R drives. I've been having severe media problems with five cartridges
I'm using, and I'd like to know whether it's a widespread problem or
simply a few bad samples I got.
  Thanks,
  Ric Ford
  MacWEEK

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Verbatim/Jasmine/NuData cartridge pr (Re: Msg 26171)
Date: 30-MAR 04:16 Bugs & Features

I have 2 boxes (6 cartridges) I use in my Jasmine MegaDrive, and haven't
had any problems.  My father, on the other hand, did have problems, I
think with two of his cartridges.  I believe he contacted Verbatim and
got new ones.

I really like my unit -- I back up much more frequently (thanks in part
to Redux).

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: PowerStation & Suitcase
Date: 31-MAR 01:23 Business Mac

I am pleased to announce that my company, Software Supply, has made an
agreement with Fifth Generation Systems, Inc. under which Fifth
Generation will henceforth be the publisher of PowerStation and
Suitcase.  I will continue development of future versions of the
products, while  Fifth Generation will handle marketing, sales, and
support.  I will, however, continue to provide technical support online
here.

Fifth Generation is headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, with sales
and marketing offices in Tustin, California.  Fifth Generation currently
markets FastBack and The Logical Connection for the IBM PC, and FastBack
for the Macintosh.

I was open to Fifth Generation's publishing proposal because my
interests and skills are in software development.  Although I managed to
get PowerStation and Suitcase successfully launched into the Macintosh
marketplace, when my thoughts run free they naturally turn to technical
challenges rather than to issues of sales, marketing, and finance.
Therefore, I look forward to "offloading" the publishing activities of
Software Supply and returning to programming full time.

Initially, I will be working primarily on a major upgrade to Suitcase.

In the course of my talks with the Fifth Generation people, I was
convinced that they intend to become a major publisher of Macintosh
utility software products and that they have the resources and skills to
do so.  Fifth Generation has a commitment to the Macintosh and to the
level of customer service and support that is required to gain the
confidence and respect of Macintosh users; that is why I am willing to
entrust my products to them.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: DataSpace TeleNode remote AppleTalk
Date: 31-MAR 07:38 Business Mac

DataSpace has announced that it is now shipping its remote AppleTalk
hardware and software package, TeleNode, at $595 US ($995 Canadian).
Through May 31, the company is offering a demo disk containing the
software and information that will allow you to dial up their demo host
system and try it out. Contact Anne Ohman at DataSpace Corporation, 185
Riviera Drive, Unit 9, Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 5J6; (416) 474-0113.
[I talked to the company at the expo and the product looked good.]

Ric.

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: puzzled
Date: 2-APR-00:47: Business Mac

I have noticed lately that whenever I leave a large (ie, lots of files)
folder open on the desktop and do a Restart, I get some error message
telling me it canUt open the folder cuz itUs out of memory. This strikes
me as preposterous--I have 5 megs. Only seems to happen under
MultiFinder. And the memory usage indicator in the about box doesnUt
even budge when I open the folder.  What gives?

Joe

------------------------------

From: DAVEWARKER
Subject: OpenResFile from an INIT
Date: 1-APR-22:46: Programming Techniques

I have run into a very strange problem while writing an INIT.  My INIT
bombs out on a Mac+ on an OpenResFile call.  TMON indicates that the
problem seems to be that some RAM patch code for OpenResFile is doing a
RecoverHandle on the filename passed to OpenResFile. Since I was passing
it a simple string it got garbage back and thendied.  If I copy the
string into a junk handle created with "NewHandle(256)" it works fine.
This is nice but I really want to know why/what is going on.  Anyone
else run into this? (By the way, the same routine works fine when called
from a DA.)

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: OpenResFile from an INIT (Re: Msg 2365)
Date: 2-APR-18:34: Programming Techniques

Clear the high byte of the pointer you pass to OpenResFile.  The
OpenResFile patch is trying to see if the filename is contained in the
System STR resource that contains the name of the current printing
resource.  If bits are set in the high byte of the string pointer,
OpenResFile can get confused.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 3-APR-02:08: Programming Techniques

There's a bug in OpenResFile; you've got to do something like

    clr.w       -(SP)                ; make room for result
    pea         filename
    clr.b       (SP)                 ; account for bug in OpenResFile patch
    _OpenResFile

I don't remember the exact nature of the bug, but if you clear the high
byte of the address, all is OK.

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND
Subject: color in basic
Date: 2-APR-22:20: Programming

Does anyone know if any of the versions of Basic allow you to get at
(full) color programming on a MacII ?

I hasten to add this isn't for me - a friend of mine, you know.

Mike Burns

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: color in basic (Re: Msg 26243)
Date: 3-APR-02:39: Programming

You didn't say what you meant by "full" color. However, I believe that
among basics that ZBasic will do anything, and that if it's not possible
there, then it might be hard to find. I doubt, however, that any Basics
are capable of rendering the "full"complement of colors, hues, shades &
intensities which the II can produce. Seems to me that MacBasic was
optimized for color - not bad for an unreleased program that predated
color on Macs....

Neil

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Date: 3-APR-08:57: Programming

TrueBasic 2.0 has lots of color support. I don't know if they've shipped
it yet.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Proposal for enhancements to the Mac (Re: Msg 26211)
Date: 3-APR-02:08: Network Digests

 > From: jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki)
 > Subject: Proposal for enhancements to the Macintosh System (Repost!)
 Your hyphenation proposal is very interesting.  It appears to be
lacking a few things (just like FullWrite's).  Some organizations have
specific rules for hyphenation of English words -- don't leave just 2
characters on a line (for ex-ample would thus be invalid).  Or perhaps
that's what your HyphDialog does that.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Hammer300 (Re: Msg 26212)
Date: 3-APR-08:48: Network Digests

Re: Hammer300

I am using a Hammer300, which I reviewed in MacWEEK. I like it a lot,
except for two problems. One is a noise which I assume is the
static-drain-spring noise that afflicts many drives. The other is that
the Hammer300 will not act as a boot disk if any other startup disk is
available, no matter what you set the SCSI ID to, and no matter how you
specify Startup Device in the Control Panel. I've found the easiest way
to bypass this is to disable the boot blocks on the disk I don't want to
be a startup disk, so the Hammer300 is forced into doing its duty.

Ric ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: 256K carrier boards (Re: Msg 26265)
Date: 4-APR-22:08: Network Digests

RE: 256K carrier boards

I'm not quite sure what the question was in the curt message I'm
replying to, but I thought people might be interested to know that Dove
Computer is selling memory expansion boards for the Mac SE that carry
256K SIMMs.

A vendor in the L.A. area who was doing 256K-SIMM upgrades for the Mac
II doesn't sound too good according to my source, who says there were
problems with the upgrades.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #35 (Re: Msg 26272)
Date: 10-APR 06:50 Network Digests

>Subject: Interpreters for the Macintosh
>Date: 29 Mar 88 22:49:58 GMT

This is at least a little plug for a book which a friend wrote, for
which he wrote a C interpreter.  It implements a generous subset of the
language.  The author has been on the ANSI C committee for several
years, by being a manager (very hands-on!) of C compiler development for
a couple of manufacturers.

The source listings are in an appendix to the book, or available on soft
copy from the author.  It should run under MPW almost without
modifications, with the Unix-compatible Make tool that is floating
around.  It should not be too hard to code the changes to call
pre-compiled modules; I would advise, in the MPW environment, coding to
use the shell facilities as much as possible.

I have promised the author that I would produce a Macintosh version of
this C interpreter.  He, on his own part, is hoping to distribute source
and collect the changes every year or so, and include the best
enhancements in subsequent versions.  His current employer gave him a
big chunk of stock and unrealistic deadlines, and he has worked about
72-hour weeks for the past six months, so he has no free time.  That is
what I call sweat equity.

The book is "Software Engineering in C", by Peter Darnell and Philip
Margolis. It is published by Springer-Verlag.  I do not know Pete's
usenet address off- hand, but I'll talk to him Monday and try to get
word out if stellar!pete is wrong.

I doubt if I will start hanging his interpreter under a Macintosh
application this month, anyway, but soon after that, I hope.  I have not
even compiled it under MPW, but I just thought of something quick I
could use it for.

Laird J. Heal                              "Inertia is never an excuse"

P.S.  By the way, how did that Davong hard disk patch I sent Henry Kautz
work out?  I just picked up a Rodime 204E (40 Meg) drive to use with
mine.

------------------------------

From: MACGICIAN
Subject: RE: Disk Cataloging Programs, again... (Re: Msg 26096)
Date: 10-APR 21:36 Creative Pursuits

    Although I myself have not used it, a friend of mine recently
purchased a product called DiskFinder which is controlled through a DA
and comes with a Hypercard Help Stack (nicely done too).  The DA is
relatively small (30-40K) and includes ALL of the features that one
would like in a DiskCataloging program My friend uses it both for
keeping track of his 80meg HD as well his over 800 disk software
collection and finds it meets all his needs (and since it is a DA he can
find the disk that he needs VERY quickly and without leaving what he is
doing.)

If I have a chance to try it out myself, I will report back...
    Leonard Rosenthol

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------