[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #41

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU (04/25/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 24 Apr 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
                                  Kolor
                           Bay software stores
                       ARPANET Macintosh Archives?
                         QuickDraw to PostScript
                             Script Manager
               Dollars & $ense 4.0 bugs--use 4.1 instead!
                         Symbolic Math Software
                               Tamil Fonts
                         Talking Moose on Mac II
                            Mac's in a museum
                                Who's Who
                            Re: Windows Demo
                      here comes FKEY TelePort-4.1
                        here comes "Magic Menus"
                          here comes QuickStart
                 Daily Organiser -- a hierarchical joke
                                TN77-TN83
                             Calendar Stack
                        Flex, a color screensaver
              virus-killer (no guarantees from me, though)
                             Virus articles

Date: Sun 17 Apr 88 08:16:19-EDT
From: Computing Analysis Corporation <eoyang@A.ISI.EDU>
Subject: Kolor

Greetings,
Last week I ftp'd the Kolor CDEV, I was not able to get the second part
intact.  Or rather it seems that the second part is corrupted.  When
looking at it with emacs there is a load of extraneous junk in it.
If i am correct, could you reload it?
Thanks much,
Greg Eoyang

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 88 12:41:28 PDT
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Bay software stores

SOmeone asked about good places to buy software at good prices.  The
3 best places I know of in terms of price, reliability, and helpfulness
are

(1) Mac Orchard, Berkeley Mail Order in CA: 800-852-4666 US: 800-445-7633
(2) M.A.C., Berkeley Mail Order US and CA: 800_BUY-A-MAC
(3) Computer Ware, Palo Alto  Mail Order CA: 800-323-1133  US: 800-235-1155

I have found the people at all three stores to be really nice and helpful.
When they have stuff in stock it ships immediately (which in the bay area
means getting it the next day).  ALl three have stores. I've been to
ComputerWare (nice big store) and M.A.C. (smaller but easier to try out
stuff).  They all advertise regularly in bay areas mags like COmputer
Currents and all will send you a price list. I have found Mac Orchard to
have the best prices, M.A.C., second, and COMputerWare, third.  But it
can vary on different products and sometimes one store has something the
other does not.

And I have never had any problem with any of the companies.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 88 23:14:12 PDT
From: aboba@Portia.stanford.edu (Bernard Aboba)
Subject: ARPANET Macintosh Archives?

I would like to get a comprehensive list together of all the publicly
accessible ARPANET Macintosh archives like <info-mac> on sumex-aim.
Please respond  to me, and I'll summarize for the net.  For each location,
please tell:

1. Machine name
2. Directory
3. Directory password, if any
4. anonymous ftp supported?
5. Some description of the contents, and when last cleaned out.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 88 17:14:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Philip H. Dye" <pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: QuickDraw to PostScript

What is the easiest way to convert a quickdraw file to
postscript ?

Does anyone have a free or shareware program w/ source
that does such ?  Or quickdraw to bitmap ?

I need to translate files that include QuickDraw graphics
to a Unix system so to later print to postscript printers.

Thank you,

Philip H. Dye
Chemical Engineering Dept.
Carnegie Mellon

Internet:       pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Usenet:        seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!pd1h+
Bitnet:        pd1h+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 88 17:33:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Philip H. Dye" <pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Script Manager

Are their Word Processors available or can the available word processors
(MacWrite, MS Word 3, WriteNow, etc.) use the script manager
described in Inside Mac V, for the Scripts 10 (Gurmukhi) and
11 (Gujarati).  Or any other Indian languages ?

Does anyone have even any related experience ?

A special font will not do the trick since letter combinations
actually modify shape of letters around them.  Also the direction
should be right to left.

Thank you,

Philip H. Dye
Data Systems Analyst

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 88 21:18:50 PDT
From: <MBorsetti%nucyb.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dollars & $ense 4.0 bugs--use 4.1 instead!

Date: Tue, 19  Apr 88  23:09:57 CDT
From: "Borsetti, Mike" <MBorsetti@nucyb.bitnet>
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU  "INFO-MAC"

> I recently got 4.0 of D&S and the first thing I found was that I
> couldn't convert my old database with this version (I had been
> using the first version of D&S (can't remember the version)).

I just got the program and received version 4.1.  The disk contained an
application called Monogram Converter 1.0 that allowed me to successfully
import all transactions made under 1.4 into the new format

> [Entering a 0 amount in a transaction and then clicking 'No' when asked
> "are you sure?" causes a system bomb ID=2, and clicking on "Resume" will
> cause the total loss of your transactions]

I have tried reproducing your bug _exactly_ as you specified it (several
paragraphs were dedicated to this one on your original message), but got no
system bombs.  I guess this too was fixed with release 4.1.

One more note: Dollars & $ense 4.1 will inexplicably quit once in a while
when running under MultiFinder (and Monogram claims that the program is
MF-compatible).  Tsk Tsk.  Otherwise, I am very satisfied with it, even though
a demo of Andrea Tobia's Managing your Money impressed me more.  Maybe the
latter, once available, will be rated better than Dollars & $ense.

Mike Borsetti
mainuser@anyode.anynet   (wouldn't such address be neat?)

FidoNet:    1:115/729  (+ 1 312 729-8768, member EchoMAC)     [checked daily]
MCI Mail:   MBORSETTI  (252-6746 from Compu$erve)          [checked weekdays]
Telex:      6502526746 MCI UW                              [checked weekdays]
Internet:   mborsetti@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu               [checked twice a week]
Bitnet:     mborsetti@nuacc.bitnet                     [checked twice a week]
GEnie:      M.BORSETTI                                [checked twice a month]
CI$:        71041,116                                  [checked twice a year]
Voice:      + 1 312 492-0921  (Use US Sprint, GMT-05)     [answering machine]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 88 12:55 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Symbolic Math Software

One of my colleagues in the Mathematics Department is looking
for a symbolic math package on the Macintosh. He recently heard
of a program called "Maple" in conjunction with "Ohio State
Grapher."  If anyone could post a notice of the availabilty/suitability
of either of these I would appreciate it.  This person is a diehard
IBMer, so this would be a major conversion if he found it suitable.

No, I have not tried "Milo" in the Info-Mac archives.  I do note
that I read somewhere that this was going commercial--maybe it's time
for a closer look...

Jim Clark
Dept of Math/CS
The University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN.

jrclark@utkvx1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 88 11:44 EDT
From: Mark Mandel <Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Tamil Fonts

I believe the ComputerPlace at the Museum of Science in Boston
(Cambridge?)  has Macintosh fonts in a godzillion dozen languages, and I
think I saw Tamil among them.  I was last there around 8 months to a
year ago.  Try telephone (617) 227-4634.  I KNOW they had several fonts
for several Devanagari-derived alphabets; at worst, you could start with
one of them and use a font editor.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 10:08 EST
From: <MCGUFFEY%MUVMS1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Talking Moose on Mac II

I'm new to both the list and the Mac II which I inherited with my new job, so
please forgive me for my naivete and if this has been covered before and/or is
blatently obvious.

    I am having trouble getting the Talking Moose (version unknown) to run on
my Mac II.  I use the DA mover to get it into the deskstop (apple menu).  When
I pull the apple menu down and click on "Talking Moose" I get the Moose Window
(volume, pitch, etc.), but the Mac dies.  The mouse cursor will move around but
I can't click on anything.  I then have to re-boot the machine.   What am I
doing wrong? What files are needed?  Where are they supposed to be?  Is there
life after Mac death?  What exactly is Macintalk?

    Please mail directly to me and I will summarize for the list.

--michael
mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 21:44:42 EST
From: Brendan Reilly <reilly@facman>
Subject: Mac's in a museum

We're going to start using Mac's in an exhibit on Communications
at the Franklin Institute.  We hoping to use Hypercard as the user
interface.  Has anyone written a stack that stops all input except
for certain keys?

Please reply to me directly since I'm not on this list.

Brendan Reilly

reilly@wharton.upenn.edu      -or-    reilly@fi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri 11 Mar 88 09:25:33-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Who's Who

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: WHO'S WHO CDEV
Date: 11-MAR-1988 06:16 by PREDA

This is a CDEV who looks inside of your mac displying CPU and .... Color
supported for MACII. My first Upload so bugs and suggestion please! Bye
from ITALY.

Unpack with StuffIt after downloading.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>CDEV-WHOS-WHO.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 88 10:02:08 EST
From: ephraim@Think.COM
Subject: Re: Windows Demo

The attached BinHex/PackIt file contains Windows Demo and the extracted
help text from Windows Demo.  This program demonstrates a variety of
unusual windows created with a variant WDEF.  The help text includes the
source code of the WDEF, written in Megamax C.

Old copies of Windows Demo died under the current system software because
of Megamax C using a reserved location in low memory.  I patched this copy
to use ApplScratch instead and it works fine on my Mac II.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>WINDOWS-DEMO.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 15:00:33 CST
From: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: here comes FKEY TelePort-4.1

[Teleport 4.1 FKEY by John Lim]

The Teleport 4.1 is an application launcher that is compatible with
MultiFinder.

If you are using it under Finder, I recommend keeping this FKEY in the
Finder using ResEdit (or ask your local Mac guru if you don't know how
to!).  This is because some programs like HyperCard 1.0.1 only do cleaning
up when you select QUIT from the File Menu.  If you use this FKEY, because
you have not explicitly selected QUIT from the FILE MENU, this cleanup
might be not performed and you might crash.

Launching from the Finder is ok in general as the Finder is very robust and
cleans up everything even if you use this FKEY.  This caveat does not apply
to MultiFinder as under MultiFinder the current application is not closed
when you launch another program using Teleport 4.1.

Source code in LSC assembly is included.  Portions THINK Technologies.
This FKEY can be distributed freely provided no commercial use is made of
it without my permission.  Enjoy.

	John Lim
	18 Nottingwood St.,
	Doncaster East 3109,
	Victoria,
	Australia.

HINT:  Hold the Caps Lock key down to launch a document.  This feature
should be used with caution as Teleport 4 will assume that the document is
an application.  This is useful for running programs like MultiFinder which
are not "APPL" files.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-TELEPORT-41.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 15:04:27 CST
From: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: here comes "Magic Menus"

[Magic Menus -- fun with hierarchy]

Magic Menus -- an experiment in hierarchy.

Magic Menus uses the new hierarchial menus present in systems 4.1 and up.
The object is quite simple: FIGURE OUT HOW TO QUIT!!

Distributed under the HappiWare system. (If you like it, smile!)

--
John Rotenstein		ACSnet: johnr@runx.ips.oz
PO Box 165		CSNET:	johnr@runx.ips.oz

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MAGIC-MENUS.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 15:30:39 CST
From: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: here comes QuickStart

[QuickStart -- a speedy start for QuicKeys]

Introducing the most useful thing since QuicKeys...

Ever restarted and then sat there, waiting for the Finder to load
before you can hit a QuicKey to launch another application?

By setting QuickStart as Startup, you can execute a QuicKeys sequence
without first arriving in the Finder.

If no key sequence is hit after one second, the Finder is launched.
Any other key press or mouse click will instantly quit QuickStart.

It's of no use if you're running MultiFinder.

--
John Rotenstein		ACSnet: johnr@runx.ips.oz
PO Box 165		CSNET:	johnr@runx.ips.oz
Double Bay, NSW 2028.	ARPA:	johnr%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
AUSTRALIA		JANET:	runx.ips.oz!johnr@ukc
UUCP: {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!johnr

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>QUICKSTART.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 15:36:37 CST
From: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: Daily Organiser -- a hierarchical joke

[Daily Organiser -- a hierarchical joke]

If you've seen some of the new-generation applications, you should have
noticed the usage of hierarchical and pop-up menus.

Quite frankly, some applications use them to extremes, resulting in an
interface not much better than before.

Let's just hope that developers don't go as far as this...

--
John Rotenstein		ACSnet: johnr@runx.ips.oz
PO Box 165		CSNET:	johnr@runx.ips.oz
Double Bay, NSW 2028.	ARPA:	johnr%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
AUSTRALIA		JANET:	runx.ips.oz!johnr@ukc
UUCP: {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!johnr

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DAILY-ORGANISER.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 12 Mar 88 12:35:57-PST
From: Bill Lipa <P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: TN77-TN83

The following set of files is from the July 1986 release.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN077.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN078.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN079.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN080.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN081.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN082.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TN083.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 88 15:25 EDT
From: <90_GRAZA%UNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Calendar Stack

Here is a simple Calendar stack that displays five weeks worth of data on
one card using a small, five point font installed directly into the stack.
It is stuffed and binhexed.  I hope many of you will find it useful as it
is small and simple.  Please send me any comments or bug reports as it is
the first real stack I have written.  Its features are pretty
self-explainatory, but it does have a help screen in the about box.

Enjoy,

Jason Grazado

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-CALENDAR-STACK.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 88 17:30:24 EST
From: eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander)
Subject: Flex, a color screensaver

[Flex 3.0]

Flex is a screen saver that displays a moving moire-like pattern.  Unlike
the "Moire" screen saver posted earlier, Flex does not allow you to change
the pattern: a travelling series of straight line segments is all you get.
However, Flex draws in continuously changing colors on a Mac II.  It also
works on a 512e, Plus or SE.

The Flex file is a combination cdev/INIT.  Put it in your system folder and
it installs at boot time.  You can adjust several settings from the control
panel, including time delay, and the "sleep-now" and "never-sleep" rects in
which you can toggle the dimming action with the mouse.  There are also
buttons that enable or disable response to background events and turn the
screen saver completely on or off.

This was written by Ben Haller.  It is shareware.

Submitted by Julian Vrieslander
UUCP: {cmcl2,decvax,rochester,uw-beaver,ihnp4}!cornell!batcomputer!eacj
ARPA: eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       BITNET: eacj@CRNLTHRY

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>CDEV-INIT-FLEX-30.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 88 01:01:40 CST
From: kraut@emx.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: virus-killer (no guarantees from me, though)

Place this short INIT into your active System folder and reboot.  From now
on, the virus will be removed automatically from every program you start.
Your System will also be virus-free. The INIT installs a "nVIR" 10 resource
in the System to prevent the virus from doing anything.  (This is a feature
the virus author has thoughtfully put in - didn't want to get problems with
his own Mac, I suppose.)

I've decided to post it here because it's (a) faster and (b) needed by about
everyone. Take it as sort of vaccination...

Matthias Urlichs              CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9
8501 Schwaig 2                "Violence is the last refuge
West Germany                            of the incompetent." -- Salvor Hardin

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 88 10:46:38 EST
From: sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel)
Subject: VirusKiller INIT with icon

Here is a copy of the KillVirus init that recently appeared on
comp.sys.mac.  I have added an icon (it didn't have one before) and the
ShowInit resource so that the icon is displayed during boot up.  This init
will protect you from the virus called "nVIR" only.  It uses a feature that
the author of the virus included to keep his own system clean.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-KILLVIRUS-NVIR.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 88 01:02:40 CST
From: kraut@emx.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: Virus articles

[Moderator's note:  These messages are a bit dated, but provide info on
some of the various viruses that have been floating around.]

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>VIRUS-MESSAGES.TXT

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest