[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #49

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (05/13/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Friday, 13 May 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 49

Today's Topics:
                       Radius Accelerator Problem
                        Any news on this product?
        Macintosh screen projection units for overhead projectors
                Sending TeX dvi files from a VAX to a Mac
                         Help with Modal dialogs
                         Request for information
                         Bug in MPW Shell 2.0.2
                       Bug in MPW 2.0.2 Link tool
        Preventing viral contamination of public domain programs
                             Image scanners
             Data Pak by Mass Micro request for Information
                        Best Apple Buy for School
                 Microsoft Works communication software
                          Double Helix II query
                      Question about CMS drives...
                  XCMD/XFCN interfaces for LightSpeed C

Date: Sun, 3 Apr 88 20:02 EDT
From: DSchwartz@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject: Radius Accelerator Problem

Last Fall I became aware of a problem with the Radius Accelerator for
the Mac Plus, but I have been having no success in getting Radius to
come up with a solution for it.  I am writing this note in order to
bring the problem to the attention of other owners, and to get them to
let Radius know we want a fix.

The problem is that the I/O transfer rates to my Dataframe XP20 were 3
to 4 times *SLOWER* after the Accelerator was installed ( numbers came
from running DiskTimer IIa ).  Other local Radius owners reported
similar speed decreases with other Dataframe drives ( XP60 ), and other
manufacturers' SCSI drives as well.

I have yet to understand how a faster CPU can't receive data at at least
as fast as a slower one, but nonetheless it happens.  ( A friend with
the Radius Accelerator on a Mac SE got about a 33% INCREASE in speed,
and I expect that's about what a Mac Plus could achieve also.  )

Radius says that the problem lies in the lack of SCSI Hardware
handshaking on the Plus.  They have been telling me they are "working"
on the problem since last November, but even as late as last week they
said that it was "not a high priority" problem.  I suspect that if no
one else is interested, it will never be fixed.

So, if you are a Mac Plus / Radius Accelerator / SCSI disk owner who is
also concerned about this slowdown, please let Radius Technical Support
hear from you.  The number that I have used is 408-434-1010.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Apr 88 14:12:08 LCL
From: "Tony S. Dahbura" <DAHBURA%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Any news on this product?

Hi all:
Does anyone have any news on the company MASS MICRO SYSTEMS?
They have recently marketed a 45MB removable cartridge drive for the MACINTOSH.
I am interested in hearing if they are reliable (are cartridge drives reliable
in general? Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with that type of drive
or this company?)
Please respond to me and I will summarize the list.
thanks for all the help.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 88 11:39:16 EST
From: Alex Nishri <nishri@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
Subject: Macintosh screen projection units for overhead projectors

We are interested in getting a screen projection screen unit used with an
overhead projector.  (These are special screens, which connect to your personal
computer and sit on top of the overhead projector, where your transparencies
normally sit.)  We have one such unit, made by Sharp, in our PC classroom, and
we now want one in our Macintosh classroom.

So far we have seen the Kodak prototype unit, but it is not available, or even
announced yet.  The only unit we have seen here in Toronto, which is available,
is the MacViewFrame, made by nView Corporation of Newport News, VA.

Does anyone have a MacViewFrame?  We would be interested in hearing user
experiences with it.  Does anyone know of or have any other competing units?

Alex Nishri
University of Toronto Computing Services
BITNET: alex@utoronto

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 88 16:19:19 EDT
From: worley@msr.EPM.ORNL.GOV (Pat Worley)
Subject: Sending TeX dvi files from a VAX to a Mac

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to package TeX dvi files so
that I can send them from a Unix machine (VAX 780) to my Mac II?
I use MacKermit for file transfer over a dial-in line.

If I send the original dvi file, it gets trashed. I can BinHex
a dvi file produced on the Mac (using TexTures), ship it to the VAX,
and unBinHex it there using xbin. The dvi file is then found in
xxx.dvi.data . But I can't seem to make the reverse direction work.
The command unxbin expects an xxx.dvi.info file, which I don't have,
in order to make the xxx.dvi.hqx file. "Making one up" doesn't work
either since the crc number (whatever that is) is not correct.
Is there a standard way of shipping binaries not generated on a Mac?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat Worley
worley@msr.epm.ornl.gov
(615) 574-3128

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 88 15:18:26 LCL
From: "Tony S. Dahbura" <DAHBURA%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help with Modal dialogs

Hi all:
Can anyone help out with the following.  I am trying to create a dialog
box on the MAC that has say 5 or 6 lines of viewable text (maybe 10-12 total)
that the user can scroll(using the scroll bar/thumb/arrow) up and down
in (not left/right) and click on a line of the text (twice) or click once
and click on an ok button.  Much like the save dialog. The text will be
put in via my application not stored in a resource file (i.e. it changes on
the fly).  I have been all through Inside Macintosh volume I but the code
to handle this task seems overwhelming.  I am coding in Pascal.  Does anyone
have some sample code or a block of code I could peruse to get the idea of
the resources I have to set up and how to control the window once it is on
the screen?
Any help would be appreciated.  You can respond to me directly if you prefer.

/thanks
/Tony Dahbura
US Mail   : 262 Small Road
            Syracuse, NY 13210
            U.S.A.
Phone     : 315-476-0989

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 88 00:15:16 EDT
From: exsgc <EXSGC%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Request for information

We at the Graduate School of CUNY have an AppleTalk network and a kinetics
fastpath box; we do not have an Internet router, though.  We are looking to
implement one, and have read network postings regarding several Mac IP
software packages.  Can anyone tell us of their experience with any of this
software, or tell us about their Mac-Internet setup?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 May 88 10:53:17 MET DST
From: Norbert Lindenberg - U Karlsruhe <norbert@ira.uka.de>
Subject: Bug in MPW Shell 2.0.2

Today I found a bug in MPW Shell 2.0.2:

The "Open" command does not open a file read-only if the -r option is
used in conjunction with the -t option. "Open -r -t myFile" opens the
file as target window, but lets the user modify the file. Rewriting
"Open -r -t myFile" as "Open -r myFile; Open -t myFile" works, but
causes unnecessary window movements.

-- Norbert

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 May 88 11:00:22 MET DST
From: Norbert Lindenberg - U Karlsruhe <norbert@ira.uka.de>
Subject: Bug in MPW 2.0.2 Link tool

One bug seems to have been fixed in the MPW 2.0.2 Link tool, but I
discovered still another one.

The bug occurs if you declare an object type in the implementation part
of a unit and define a new method for this type (new as opposed to
overriding a superclass method), and let the linker optimize method
calls (-opt option). The new method does not show up in the method table
listing produced with the -p option, and the linker still produces a
%_SelProcs segment. According to MacApp DA newsletter 1/5, this segment
should never be present in an optimized program. When I start the
program, it drops into MacsBug with a User break: Method not found
message when the new method is called.

-- Norbert

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 May 88 20:19:36 EDT
From: Atul Butte <ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Preventing viral contamination of public domain programs

With all the problems with virus infected public domain and shareware
software, I propose the following solution (for the Macintosh):

There exists a shareware program called StuffIt 1.4 which was designed
to group multiple files into one file which can then be uploaded.
StuffIt 1.4 is for the Macintosh, and is turning into a sort of standard
for packing. StuffIt 1.4, in addition to grouping files can compress
them and can encrypt them.

The proposal:
How about adding a new feature to StuffIt that encrypts files, but in
such a way that they can only be decrypted and not encrypted again? This
can be done with the following method. StuffIt could prompt the
uploading user to enter an encrypting code which is used to encrypt the
files. Along with the files, another code is included. This code is the
decrypting code, which downloading users can use to decrypt the file.
The decrypting code could be hashed by some secret function into the
original encrypting code. This method is similar to the "trapdoor"
functions used for Public-Key Cryptosystems with one-way functions.

The advantage of this is that the original author of a program can
encrypt his or her software and place it in the public domain without
the fear of others downloading the file, contaminating it with a virus,
and then uploading the file as the original.

Atul Butte                  /----------\  /----------\
Brown University            !    OK    !  !  CANCEL  !
ST602397@BROWNVM.BITNET     \----------/  \----------/

------------------------------

From: Terry Jones <tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
Subject: Image scanners
Date: 9 May 88 15:53:17 GMT

We recently ordered a Dest PC Scan 2020 (2000) and have had good success with
it when used with an IBM/PC and a Mac II but have had numerous failures when
using it with a number of Mac SE's around here. It comes back with
Scanner Not Responding and you have to power it off and on to get it
back operational. Some days it works fine, others it is really frustrating.

I would like to hear from scanner owners about successes and failures,
especially Dest scanner owners.

tj@utgpu.uucp
tj@utoronto.bitnet
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 May 88 9:34:18 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: Data Pak by Mass Micro request for Information

I am thinking of getting the Data Pak drive from Mass Micro that has the
45m removable cartridge.  Has anyone used this drive and can give me your
impression of it.  This would not be used as a primary drive but hopefully
a way to get rid of all the floppies that seem to be accumulating.
Thanks in advance

John Buono

------------------------------

From: SSG Kurt Nuemaier <20-37bn@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Best Apple Buy for School
Date: Tue, 10 May 88 12:09:58 EDT

I need a little guidance from net.advice about which Apple to buy.

I work with a guy who is going back to school and needs a computer that
will give the best all around performance.  He is leaning toward one of
the MAC's but was wondering about the IIGS.  The MAC SE is alittle more
expensive than he can afford right now.  Also, what would be a good list
of software to get him through school the first semester or two?

It would be a real help if the capabilities of the MAC PLUS, MAC II, and
the APPLE IIGS could be synopsized.

Is the IMAGE WRITER a good printer for school?

He is at the moment going to major in Liberal Arts and would therefore
need Word processing, along with capabilities for sciences, math,
econimics and accounting.

Any and all help would be appreciated as he has got it in his mind to
buy without really thinking about it! An opportunistic buyer.

reply:  KA NEUMAIER
        20-37bn@braggvax.arpa

----------------AIRBORNE!!!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 12:08 AST
From: "Steve Smith, Manager, Systems and Operations"
From: <SSMITH%STMARYS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Hello Netpeople,

I have installed some Appletalk PC cards in PC's to connect to Localtalk.
They work fine to print to Laserwriters on the Localtalk but the software
cannot see Imagewriters. I am using ATALK.EXE version 1.0. Does anyone know
if Imagewriters are accessable using either later versions of this software
or other software. Are these cards limited to printing to Laserwriters?

Please mail directly to me .

BITNET:         SSMITH@STMARYS.BITNET

Steve Smith
Computer Services
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, NS
Canada

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 14:00:54 PDT
From: Eileen Leatherman <LEATHERMAN@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Microsoft Works communication software

A friend asked for help with this (I am not familiar with
Microsoft Works myself):  VT100 emulation works fine except for
the delete key.  The host machine seems to interpret the delete
key as some kind of control or escape sequence rather than the
delete character.  Any suggestions?
leatherman@sumex

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 17:11 CST
From: <OPTON@UHVAX1>
Subject: Double Helix II query

Can someone tell me how to do the following in Double Helix II:
(Please excuse the pseudo-DBasese)

1.  Copy all the records that match a given criterion to a new relation,
that is:

        use <currentRelation>
        for firstrecord to lastrecord in <currentRelation>
           if <field x> starts with a 1 {or 2, or 3, or whatever}
           then copy <thisRecord> to <newRelation>

2. duplicate the structure of an existing relation to a new relation, that is,

         use <existingRelation>
         copy structure to <newRelation>

Thanks in advance,

Lee Thomison
BITNET: OPTON@UHVAX1
landline: (713) 749-3127

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 23:46 EST
From: ALLEN@ISIS.MIT.EDU

does anyone know of a card for the mac][ that is just a bunch of
simms slots?
(please rely to me this time since I'm not on the mailing list yet.)
thanx
al

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 1988 01:04 PDT
From: SHIPLEY <SPHERE%UWACDC.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Question about CMS drives...

I saw, on the side of a CMS drive's box, a picture of a drive for a Mac II that
had something like "DMA modified ROM" written on its side.

Is this true?  Has someone actually hacked Apple SCSI so it supports DMA?
Geez,
that would quiet a LOT of complaints about A/UX being too slow.  (Asynchronous
I/O saves the day.)

Or am I imagining things?  (The salesman, of course, didn't have any idea what
DMA was, and he was too lazy to find any documentation.  I COULD flame for two
more pages on what I think of computer salesmen, but I think you all know...)

-William Shipley

------------------------------

Subject: XCMD/XFCN interfaces for LightSpeed C
Date: Thu, 12 May 88 13:08:46 +0300
From: shmuli@humus.huji.ac.il

I've been trying to get the HyperCard XCMD/XFCN interfaces for LightSpeed C
but to no avail.  I've checked the INFO-MAC archives and the IRLEARN server
(we can no longer access the server at PUCC from overseas) but couldn't find
these files.  I've been told that they are in comp.binaries.mac but I don't
know how to get them from there, so can somebody PLEASE tell me or send me
the files?
      Thank you.    Shmuel

End of INFO-MAC Digest