[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #53

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (06/01/88)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 1 Jun 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:
                           re: best apple buy
                       Radius Accelearator Problem
                         Re:Overhead projectors
             Screen Projection Units for Overhead Projectors
                    FINDER: there should be a way up!
                    shipping DVI files to/from a MAC
                         C and Assembler in MPW
                                   4d
                       Simple Assembly to Pascal?
                      hard disk for old MAC128/512
                              POS programs
                          Window control XCMD's
                          Appletalk networking
                                Monitors
                         Imagewriter II problems
                              Archives....
                            sound generation

Date: Sat 14 May 1988 00:27 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: re: best apple buy

> he was leaning toward the mac, but was wondering about the //GS

If i were you, I would inform your friend to completely forget about the //GS
and to stick with the macintosh SE if he can afford it (if not, then a mac
plus if he can get one...) -- The SE is the finest machine that I have owned
to date, and once I get a really big hard drive for it, I will be in heaven.
I have used my mac since I began college years ago (when I had a simple
128K mac...) and have only come to love my mac more and more every day....its
the main reason that I got A's in my english courses, as well as tons of
other courses that it has had the brains to draw up charts for me...

Basically, I have made use of the Imagewriter I to print up most of my stuff
(over 5,000,000 characters of stuff for myself as well as typed papers for
friends, et. al..) but since acquiring my SE I have made use of the Imagewriter
//, and I am even more satisfied with its functioning so far.

The best advice for your friend.....save your money and get an SE...you wont
regret it....-- for proof of its superiority over a //GS, just try booting
up the "finder" on the //GS and then boot it on the SE, then try running
some software.  Figure out the time differences, and multiply the time differenc
by the number of times you expect to use the computer.....thats how much time
you will waste by having a //GS.....

Bye for now but not for long...
Greeny

Bitnet: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Disclaimer: #include<std_legal_stuff.h>

p.s. for more specific info, e-mail me directly...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 May 88 02:33 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Radius Accelearator Problem

>The problem is that the I/O transfer rates to my Dataframe XP20 were 3
>to 4 times *SLOWER* after the Accelerator was installed ( numbers came

>I have yet to understand how a faster CPU can't receive data at at least
>as fast as a slower one, but nonetheless it happens.  ( A friend with

        My guess is that this problem is related to the interleave factor
involved in reading out the disk.  This interleave takes into account the
fact that the CPU may not be able to process the incoming data as fast
as the disk can ship it, so files are written such that there are segments
separated by breaks during each track; the spacing is adjusted to account
for the time that it takes the CPU to process each segment.

        When you change to a faster CPU, the interleave factor is no longer
optimum for your system.  There is a way this can actually make your
transfers slower, but the reason escapes me at the moment. There is a
good article in the June MacUser about disks with a discussion about
problems with interleave when changing CPU's.  You should read it there,
what I said above may not be remembered quite right.

        Good luck with Radius!

                                                Jeff Templon
                                        Indiana U. Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 May 88 19:14:56 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re:Overhead projectors

In responce to Alex Nishri's request, I have seen the Kodak HR Projection
Pad on display at the Mac Expo in Amsterdam, there were a few other companies
displaying such machines. Overall quality is pretty much the same tho some
were abit sharper then others. Maybe someone else who have been to the Expo
can give more information about the various product.

  --Zak

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 May 88 15:00 EST
From: <PAM@GUVAX>
Subject: Screen Projection Units for Overhead Projectors

This is in response to Alex Nishri's request for information about
Macintosh screen projection units which allow you to display a Mac screen
on an overhead projector.  The following appeared in *Bits and Bytes Review*
Volume 1, No. 8, page 20.; it describes a product which may be of interest:

        "The STRETCH PROJECTOR is a complete system that allows any
        standard overhead projector to project a Macintosh screen
        image with 640-by-400 resolution.  The system includes a
        proprietary LCD plate that measures 1 by 10.9 by 12.8 inches
        and that weighs less than 1 pound, cables, software, and its own
        low-voltage power supply.  The proprietary LCD plate uses
        'supertwist' technology for sharp images at most viewing angles
        and special liquid crystals that resist over-heating.  The
        'two-screen' software allows users to display one imate on the
        standard Macintosh screen and another on the projected screen.
        The Stretch Projector is user installable (no soldering is
        required).  $1,799.  Contact:  Network Specialities,
        1485 Bayshore Blvd., San Francisco, CA  94124; (415) 467-8411"

I myself am not familiar with this product, but perhaps the information
will be a help.

Pamela Cardullo
Georgetown University
Academic Computer Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 May 88 12:18:24 EDT
From: Pedro de Rezende <rezende@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu>
Subject: FINDER: there should be a way up!

Suppose you are at the Finder and you have open the window of a folder F
way down in the tree directory, while having closed all windows for the
ancestors of that folder. How do you open a sibling of F? Well, you have to
open F's parent which can only be achieved if you start from the root (the
disk). In other words, the Finder doesn't let you climb back up the
hierarchy of directories (like the SFGet dialog of HFS Systems do).
Apple may have thought of that since Finder 6.0a, which I once saw with a
pre-release version of Juggler (before Multifinder was out), had the
following feature. If you double-clicked on the title bar of an open
window, the window corresponding to the parent folder would pop open,
regardless of whether any of the ancestors folders was open. This feature
vanished with the released Finder 6.0.

Something even more powerful is desirable. Here is the idea: let clicking
in the title bar serve to drag the window, unless the click is on the title
name itself, in which case, a pop-up menu will come up with the ancestors
folders' names, just like the SFGet dialog. Selecting a menu item will open
the window of that folder. This actually beats Unix's "cd ../../.." since
you see where you are going. Try opening MacTools(R) 7.0 for a live demo of
this feature.

If this conflicts with the interface guidelines, how about an extra menu
"Hierarchy" on the menu bar (whose contents change depending on the top
most window) to achieve the same?

Does anyone have any comments, or is the ball on Apple's court?

Pedro de Rezende               rezende@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 88 13:58 PDT
From: Brotsky.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: shipping DVI files to/from a MAC

I have successfully used Kermit
to do DVI file transfers
from Unix boxes to Macs and vice versa.
The trick, in general, is to tell Kermit
on both sides of the connection that you
are sending an 8-bit binary file between
the two machines.  On the unix side
this often looks something like

set file type binary

and I don't remember offhand what you have
to do on the mac side.

     dan

------------------------------

Date: 27-MAY-1988 12:52:31 GMT
From: STEPHEN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu

In Info-MAC 6.48 there was a question from Adrian Lappin re archived
copies of Info-MAC.

These are maintained by the Micro Software Distribution Service at
Lancaster University (how far back they go I've no idea) and are avail-
able for FTPing home.

I pulled No 48 this morning as :

[.mac.i19]i19v6n48.txt from LANCS.VAX1 with username MICROS pswd MICROS

It's easy to see how to pull other issues (though it's no9 not n9 if
you work that far back)

Best wishes,

Stephen Miller

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 May 88 12:48 edt
From: Daniel Canas <CANAS@wfu.edu>
Subject: C and Assembler in MPW

Does anyone oyt there know how to embed Assembler code into a
C source program under MPW.
Please reply directly to me

Thanks
Dan
    (CSNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 May 88 16:15 N
From: <RUUD%HTIKUB5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 4d

To 4D users, developpers, evangelists etc.
I am scratching the surface of the incredible 4d database system. I like it
however, alot is said in the documentation, which is sometime hard to find. I
understand ACIUS is publishing technotes. The distributor in Holland of the 4d
software says a magazine supposedly devoted to 4d exists in the usa and also a
library of external procedures is emerging. My question, where can i get more
information. Distributors in Europe exaggerate their prices, they usually
multiply them by 2 or 3. I need al the info on 4d, at reasonable cost. Thanks,
Ruud Kluivers
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ruud@HTIKUB5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sun 15 May 88 11:26:21-PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Simple Assembly to Pascal?

I could use a hand translating one line of assembly into Pascal (I don't know
assembly).  The assembly code is
   asm {move.w ROMBase, $E4}

I tried this in Pascal, but it bombs:
    CONST
       ROMBase = $2AE;
    TYPE
       BytePtr = ^integer;
  VAR
  SoundGluePtr : BytePtr;

{code...}
    SoundGluePtr := BytePtr($E4);
    SoundGluePtr^ := ROMBase;

This is a patch to get LightSpeed Pascal's Sound Driver glue routines to
behave under MultiFinder.  Thanks muchly for any help!

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 88 15:28:00 EDT
From: "NRL::FISHER1" <fisher1%nrl.decnet@nrl.arpa>
Subject: hard disk for old MAC128/512

    Does anyone have a used, hard disk drive that connects
to the disk drive port in the old MAC128 or 512K (old ROMs)?
I'm looking for a good price on a 20 Meg drive, as a
temporary measure to get me by until I get a ROM upgrade
and  SCSI port installed.

                 Thank you.,

                 Art Fisher
                 FISHER1@NRL.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 May 88 14:38:40 PST
From: Peter Scott <PJS@grouch.JPL.NASA.GOV>
Subject: POS programs

Does anyone know of a program that performs point-of-sale operations
(electronic cash register) with inventory control, preferably also
product labelling, daily, weekly, monthly and annual inventory and cash
flow summaries?  Also a program for scheduling register operators, requiring
them to "sign on" and "sign off", like an electronic time clock, providing
timecard summaries?  Need product name and/or company name, and city/state
of company or company telephone number.  Thanks.

Peter Scott (pjs%grouch@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 May 88 11:06:01 CDT
From: Jeff Skastis <skaistis@SLEEPY.CC.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Window control XCMD's

I am trying to write an XCMD that will place a window (or dialog) on top
of the regular Hypercard window.  I would like this XCMD to plop the
window onto the screen and return some sort of ID to Hypercard.  The
window needs to remain above the Hypercard window at all times, but still
let action take place in Hypercard (just like the message box and tool
palettes).  The window is removed by another XCMD that takes the ID passed
from the first.

Any of you wonderful people out there in net-land have any brilliant
suggestions or helpful hints?  Please reply to me directly, I don't have
regular access to the board right now.

Thanks in adavance.

Jeff Skaistis
University of Texas

Internet :  skaistis@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 May 88 14:49:35 EDT
From: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Appletalk networking

Good day, all.
In my building here, we currently have ten macs, assortedly 512's, pluses and
se's. We have had Appletalk implemented for almost three years now but only
used for a single shared laserwriter. I've been tasked to investigate the
utility of various systems for sharing and transferring of files. Under
consideration are two approaches.
One is to set up a file server, and go thru the hassles (to me, anyway. don't
let that flavor your response, as I probably won't be responsible for doing the
actual day-to-day operation) of setting up permissions and having a superuser
(of some sort), etc, etc.
The other is to use an email type system to send files from one machine to the
other. I'd appreciate it if any and all with experience in setting up one type
of system or the other, would email their impressions to me. What we need to
know are things like:
Hardware/software used. Cost (both purchase and upkeep - this should include
the time to do backups if a file server is implemented). Reliability. Ease of
use. And anything else you feel would be of interest.
Thanks, in advance for your help.

tom c

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 May 1988 11:15 CDT
From: Chip McGuill <PINKY%TAMCBA.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Monitors

We want to implement a Mac lab with several large screen monitors
( > 21" ) connected to either a Mac plus or SE.  Also we would like to
use color if possible.  Does anyone know of a source for this equipment
or had any experiences with this type of installation.

Chip McGuill
Academic Computing Center

PINKY@TAMCBA

Disclaimer: Everything I say has nothing to do with whom I work for.

------------------------------

Date: 17 MAY 88 13:32-
From: JJW7384%RITVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Imagewriter II problems

I have an Imagewriter II and am having a problem with the center pin on the
printhead not firing. I have tried spraying Electa-Clean on the head into
the pins, but it does not help.

Has anyone had similar experience with a printer? It's only 1.5 years old
with minimal use.

I would appreciate any information anyone would have on this. I am particularly
interested in what you have to do to remove the head--Does it pop out of
the PC board, or is there more to it? After it is removed, does it have
to be realigned?

Thanks,

Jeff Wasilko
"Printer's Devil"

PS: Please mail me respones if you can--I don't always get around to reading
the whole infomac conference.

Bitnet: Mail to JJW7384@RITVAX

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 May 88 16:46:47 PDT
From: PAKLEIN%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu  (DAVID KLEIN)
Subject: Archives....

I am just getting into files over the computer, I know about <info-mac> and
the archive at Rice, but would like to find some more which I can get to
live time over Arpa-net..... Please send any archive suggestions to:
                                     PAKLEIN@CALSTATE.BITNET
                                          Thanks.....

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 May 88 19:56 EDT
From: KWALDMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com
Subject: sound generation

	I'm wondering if there is any hardware/software availble that will
allow me to a/d a analog signal with the Mac Se and then d/a using the built in
speaker.
		Karl

End of INFO-MAC Digest