[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #59

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (06/06/88)

INFO-MAC Digest           Monday, 6 Jun 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 59

Today's Topics:
                          Help with grafports.
                               3D graphing
                           SMTP mail for Mac's
                      Appleworks->Macwrite transfer
                        Floppy Disk in a Monitor?
                  Desktop Interface Idea: Folder Menus
              4Mb Fast RAM & 16Mhz 68020/68881 Accelerator
                           Behind Dark Castle
                          SoundMaster 1.1 cdev
                         ResTools 3.00 (4 parts)
                             BroadCast 0.5b3
                               Researcher
                             4D Utilities 2
                              SuperDex/MLM
                        SSSwitcher 2.2 (3 parts)
               Announcing Macintosh Kermit Version 0.9(40)

Date: Thu, 19 May 88 22:58:44 LCL
From: "Tony S. Dahbura" <DAHBURA%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help with grafports.

Does anyone know where I can get some samples of code to draw in an offscreen
grafport?  I don't quite understand the info about SetPortBits. I am trying to
draw something offscreen in order to read the image using some code I wrote.
I don't want the user to see the image as I scan it.  I tried setting up a wind
ow that was invisible but found the data that I scanned was not actually there.
When I made the window visible the data scanned by my routine was exactly what
I needed but alas the image was visible to the user.  I thought of maybe moving
the window to say -10000,-10000 but would prefer to not risk someone with a
mac ii seeing the image.  There must be a way to draw into a port but not have
it go to the screen.  Thanks in advance for any help.  I guess the problem is
how to set up the call to SetPortBits.

/thanks
/Tony Dahbura
US Mail   : 262 Small Road
            Syracuse, NY 13210
            U.S.A.
Phone     : 315-476-0989

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 88 14:55:00 EDT
From: Steve Buyske <ST401266%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: 3D graphing

    Are there any inexpensive programs that can do 3D graph?
I'd like to give it a function z=f(x,y) and a domain and get a nice
graph.  (If it could handle parametric equations that would be even better.)
I know about MathView Professional, but I'm looking for something simpler
(this kind of graphing is all I need) and cheaper.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 11:00 EDT
From: DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.com
Subject: SMTP mail for Mac's

	Has anyone got, seen or heard of a mail program for SE's
	or +'s that will talk SMTP over a tcp/ip link ? We're
	about to link up our 30 odd Mac's via Appletalk and then
	connect that to our Sun net (probably via TOPS) and would
	like to find a mail system so that our macusers do not
	have to learn either Un*x or VM-ess, as at present.

	Surely somebody out there has done this at least once ?
	If not, would anyone like to speculate on how much work
	it would be to produce one ? After all, SMTP is pretty
	simple, and the tcp/ip side could probably be considered
	transparent.

	please reply direct - I don't subscribe because I can't handle
	the volume this list puts out....

	many thanks in advance for your help,

	Paul Davis
	Schlumberger Cambridge Research
	Cambridge, UK
	[+44] 223 325282

	davis@blue.sdr.slb.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 14:01 EST
From: JJ_KRAME%FANDM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Appleworks->Macwrite transfer

Hello All,

  I need to transfer a large appleworks(Apple ][)file to Macwrite.  I have tried
Apple's file exchange and MacLink but have found that there is no suitable
translator.. Can anyone inform me of a simple method for completing this
task?   Any help would be appreciated.  Joe Kramer

Bitnet: JJ_kramer@fandm
Consultant -- Franklin and Marshall College

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 1988 11:10:26 PDT
From: "Anthony E. Siegman" <siegman@sierra>
Subject: Floppy Disk in a Monitor?

Desktop real estate (on real desks, I mean) is always precious; so is peace
and quiet.  Your hard disk should go under your desk or in a closet, out of
sight, out of sound, and out of the way.  Your main circuit board, power
supplies, anything that whines or requires a fan might as well go there
also.

But everybody needs a floppy drive at hand, at least once in a while.  So why
doesn't anyone provide a floppy disk drive _built into a monitor_?  The
monitor/floppy drive, mouse, and keyboard on your desk -- everything else out
of sight (and, ideally, _one_ cable from the desk to everything else).

[Moderator's Note:  Isn't that a Mac Plus? :-) ]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 1988 11:18:38 PDT
From: "Anthony E. Siegman" <siegman@sierra>
Subject: Desktop Interface Idea: Folder Menus

One way to make searching through a set of folders, or a nested set of
folders, a lot easier:  Let each folder have a sensitive spot -- maybe the
little index flap at the upper left -- such that if you click and hold
there, a narrow vertical menu opens up (running from top to bottom of the
screen if necessary) showing just the names of all the items in that
folder, alphabetical order.  The view could be like "View by Name", but
no size, type or date info, just the item names.

Merely being able to scan instantly what was in the folder, without having
to open it, would be a big help.  Even better, suppose you could scan
down this menu in usual fashion, and if you released on any item, that
item would be opened, _without opening the enclosing folder itself_.
You could move down thru a nested set of folders in a big hurry this way.
Even if this capability were limited to folders (not documents or
applications) it would be a big help.

------------------------------

From: frameli@dpdmai.dec.com (Vernon Dale Frameli)
Subject: 4Mb Fast RAM & 16Mhz 68020/68881 Accelerator
Date: 2 Jun 88 15:03:00 GMT

    I have a 4Mb Prodigy SE Accelerator for sale, I'm asking a firm
$2000.00. I checked with my local dealer, he said 4 1Mb SIMM's cost
around $1800.00 right now, so I feel like this is a very reasonable
price. You get a superb accelerator for just $200.00 more, what a
deal!

                                       dale

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 May 88 19:54:05 AEST
From: munnari!runx.ips.oz.au!johnr@uunet.uu.net (John Rotenstein)
Subject: Behind Dark Castle

Sick and tired of those electric rays sneaking out of sequence?

Nauseous over those beer barrels banging before breaking?

Hate the Buring Eye for hovering over the swamp?

Then this is for you!

Behind Dark Castle is a simple way to succeed in Beyond Dark Castle.
You can simply edit your saved games to obtain any or all of the orbs,
up to 99 rocks, elixirs, bombs, lives, keys and gas, and just about any
score you desire.

Of course, cheating is not recommended. But what does that matter?

However, you'll still have to defeat the Black Knight yourself. That alone
should keep you occupied for some time.

This file is stuffed, and distributed under the HappiWare system:

IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

Oh, and you might want to send me a postcard, too.  OK?

John Rotenstein		  Internet: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au
PO Box 165
Double Bay, NSW 2028.	UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!johnr
AUSTRALIA.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BEHIND-DARK-CASTLE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 May 1988 14:10:49 PDT
From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: SoundMaster 1.1 cdev

The following is from comp.binaries.mac:

[SoundMaster 1.1 cdev]

SoundMaster is a shareware Control Panel device from Bruce Tomlin, and is a
godsend to those of you who like to have various Mac sounds replaced with
your very own digitized sounds.  The various features include:

    o   Specific sounds for the following operations
        *  Startup
        *  Shutdown
        *  Restart
        *  Disk Eject
        *  Disk Insert
        *  Bad Disk
        *  System Beep
        *  Key Click
    o   Plays SoundCap, SoundWave, and SoundEdit files at ALL 4 SAMPLING
        RATES!  (No more 22 kHz startup sounds...).  It does not read snd
        resources.
    o   Individual volume settings for each sound.
    o   Each sound can be stored anywhere in or under the System Folder.
    o   You can play the sounds inside SoundMaster, to test for the right
        sampling rate.

This has allowed me to dump CheapBeep, SoundInit, ShutdownSound, MacII,
MacPuke and MacFeedMe.  VERY handy, and I've had no problems with it.

Standard Disclaimer:  I have no connections with Bruce Tomlin, other than
having sent my $10 shareware fee in 15 minutes after downloading this baby.

                            "General, a machine becomes human
                             when you can't tell the difference."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>CDEV-SOUNDMASTER-11.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 88 05:25:32 GMT
From: bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long)
Subject: ResTools 3.00 (4 parts)

ResTools is a Resource Compiler/Decompiler.  Resource descriptions are
entered in text windows or read in from files.  Windows can then be
compiled.  Any descriptions or changes made in the windows can be saved.
The syntax of the resources supported by ResTools is very close to that of
rez and derez; resource descriptions from one should work in the other with
few or no changes.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>RESTOOLS-30-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>RESTOOLS-30-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>RESTOOLS-30-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>RESTOOLS-30-PART4.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 May 88 18:59 MET
From: JOACHIM LINDENBERG <JOACHIM@iravcl.ira.uka.de>
Subject: BroadCast 0.5b3

BroadCast is a chooser device that contains both a message sender
and receiver to allow exchange of simple messages via AppleTalk.
It allows you to send a message of the type
  "Hey Phil, there is a call for you!"
  "Can someone please fill up the paper tray of LaserWriter xy?"
  "I need some assistance..."
to all or some users within any zone of your AppleTalk.

Installation is by moving the file into the system folder. To use
it, open the chooser and select the BroadCast icon. Select the zone/
users you want to send a message to and click ok (shortcut for all
users in one zone: all), and you'll be prompted for the message text,
which may consist of up to three lines. You may select the icon to
be sent by clicking on the icon. After clicking on Ok, BroadCast
will attempt to send the message. (BroadCast can't guarantee delivery
and there is no error message if it fails - at least currently.)

The distribution includes the protocol specification, which allows
you to implement BroadCast on other hosts. A version of BroadCast based
on CAP is under development.

BroadCast is copyrighted but free. It may be redistributed as long it
is not sold - either standalone or included in another package.

BroadCast is available from SUMEX (I hope RSN), and by sending mail
to RY77@DKAUNI11.BITNET. Mail bug reports and/or questions to
joachim@ira.uka.de

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany - West Germany.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BROADCAST-05B3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BROADCAST-05B3-DOC.TXT

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 23 May 88 10:24:39-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Researcher

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: RESEARCHER 1.2
Date: 22-MAY-1988 09:52 by DIVERDAN

Researcher is a stak used to help keep notes while doing research for
writing. The 1.2 version cleans up the user interface, adds sorting and
fields to keep bibliographic data on the sources for notes.

This stak is being distributed under a new concept: "barter-ware." You get
to see my work, now I'd like a look at yours.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-RESEARCHER-12.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 23 May 88 10:23:39-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: 4D Utilities 2

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: 4D UTILITIES 2
Date: 21-MAY-1988 09:30 by NATURAL

Two more 4th Dimension externals from your friends are Natural Intelligence
Consulting.  4Update fixes a bug the 4th Dimension has that occasionally
doesn't redraw the screen correctly.  4ReplStr will search and replace a
string in a text variable and if desired, report how many times each string
was replaced. Can and will replace up to three sets of strings per call to
4ReplStr.

Both Externals include FULL documentation and examples.

RCWare from Natural Intelligence Consulting.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>4D-UTILITIES-2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 23 May 88 10:25:00-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: SuperDex/MLM

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SUPERDEX/MAILING LIST MAKER 2.0
Date: 22-MAY-1988 09:47 by DIVERDAN

SuperDex and the Mailing List Maker are companion staks that give you an
expanded rolodex function, and the ability to automatically generate
mailing lists in text file format for use with label making programs like
Silicon Press.

The 2.0 version adds a number of new features, some of which are:
  A summary card at the top of the SuperDex stak
  The addition of radio buttons to keep track of Christmas cards lists
  An option to dynamically edit the mailing list text before storing

These staks are distributed under a new concept:  "barter-ware." You get to
see my work, so I'd like a look at yours!!

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-SUPERDEX-MAIL-LIST-MAKER-20.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 25 May 88 09:19:33-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: SSSwitcher 2.2 (3 parts)

Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman

Name: SSSWITCHER
Date: 24-MAY-1988 22:09 by BOBANDRIS

This is v 2.2, that takes advantage of all of "SoundMaster 1.2"'s new
capabilities.  SSSwitcher is a "Startup" application that will randomly
switch startup, deskpicture, and backdrop screens; and startup, beep,
diskinsert, diskeject, baddisk, diskrequest, restart, shutdown, keyclick,
returnkey, and spacekey sounds.  Screens and sounds with the same names
will play together.  Doc's are included. - BOBANDRIS

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SSSWITCHER-22-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SSSWITCHER-22-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SSSWITCHER-22-PART3.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 31 May 88 17:09:21-EDT
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Macintosh Kermit Version 0.9(40)

This is to announce Macintosh Kermit 0.9(40), by Paul Placeway of Ohio State
University and Matthias Aebi of ECOFIN Research and Consulting, Ltd, Zuerich.
MacKermit 0.9(40) runs on all Macs except the 128K original.  If you have a
128K Mac, you should keep version 0.8(34), the last formal release.

As of 0.9, MacKermit has been translated into Apple MPW C, so that it can be
edited, compiled, and built on the Macintosh itself.  This translation was
based on work by Jim Noble of Planning Research Corporation, who converted
MacKermit 0.8(34) from SUMACC C (which had to be cross-compiled on a UNIX
system) to Megamax C.  Matthias converted Jim's version to MPW C, and he also
added many of the new features listed below.  After that, Paul Placeway
integrated the program with version 4E of C-Kermit and added additional new
features, also shown below.

 - Long packet support
 - The cursor with open desk accessories now works correctly
 - New program icon
 - New settings files are no longer TEXT
 - Settings can now be written back to an already existing settings file
 - Key redefinition function built in to Kermit, no more CKMKEY
 - Server mode directory listing feature
 - Multifile (folder) send
 - Server "Delete" file command
 - Server "Space" command
 - Get whole folder content from the server with filename ":"
 - Support of menu command keys (key macros)
 - Terminal settings dialog separated from communication settings
 - Non-transparent terminal mode
 - Display of statistics and protocol version to "About Kermit" dialog
 - Parity problems fixed
 - More efficient file transfer in many cases, especially when parity in use
 - Session logging (screen capture)
 - Transaction logging
 - Multifinder support
 - Additions to the VT102 emulator (smooth scrolling, etc)
 - Rearrangement of menus and displays
 - Program no longer hangs if remote response window gets too full
 - Program now works correctly on 64K ROM machines
 - A new manual

The new files are among those in KER:CK*.* on CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, available
via anonymous FTP, and on BITNET, as CK* * from KERMSRV at CUVMA.  In
particular:

 CKMKER.HQX is the MacKermit application, in BinHex Version 4 format
 CKMKER.DOC is the new Kermit User Guide chapter for MacKermit
 CKMKER.MSS is the Scribe source for the manual chapter

If you would like sources, the files you need (using Unix notation for
brevity) are: CK[CMU]*.[CHRW], that is, all files whose names start with CK,
followed by C, M, or U, and then some more characters, with a filetype of C,
H, R, or W.  You also need the file CKMMAK.*, the "makefile" in BinHex v4
format.

The previous version, 0.8(34), will be retained (without source) as CKM834.*
and CKMKEY.HQX for use on 128K Macs.

Thanks to all the Info-Kermit readers who have been beta-testing different
pre-releases of this program since last October.  And many thanks to Paul and
Matthias for putting this release together and making it available.  Please
report any problems to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0940-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0940-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0940-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>KERMIT-0940-DOC.TXT

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest