[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #11

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (06/20/88)

Date: Mon 20 Jun 88 11:44:58-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #11
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, June 20, 1988          Volume 4 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
     re: Software Distribution
     re: Quest+Leech+SoundMaster
     re: DA question
     re: Re: DA question
     re: menu conflict with On-Cue, HFS Navig
     microphone 2
     Macintalk patchwork
     re: Mac II WishList Summary
     PC Font for the Mac
     DIABLO AND OTHER DAISY WHEEL PRINTERS
     RE: Good 2400 modems??
     System 6.0 and Script Manager
     Mac 512K questions (2 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #75
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #76
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #74
     dataframe crash
     ImageWriter pricing (2 messages)
     Dollars and Sense 4.1b
     System 6.0 Sounds on non Mac II's
     Drvrs and resedit
     scaning generator
     RE: Your MUG exchange thingy
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #74
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #79

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Software Distribution (Re: Msg 26629)
Date: 5-JUN-22:41: Network Digests

 > From: shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker)
 > Subject: Software Distribution

If you've got a program, call or write publishers you think would be
interested. (Apple makes available to certified developers a list of
publishers.)  I would not send unsolicited programs to people.

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be
illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be
illegal."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Quest+Leech+SoundMaster (Re: Msg 26630)
Date: 5-JUN-22:42: Network Digests

 > From: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
 > Subject: Quest+Leech+SoundMaster
 > If you wish to republish these directions, please contact me.
 Is it OK to republish this in my user group newsletter?

 David Dunham
 Editor, Mouse Times

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: DA question (Re: Msg 26630)
Date: 5-JUN-22:42: Network Digests

 > From: bolter@unc.cs.unc.edu (Jay D. Bolter)
 > Subject: DA question
 Read my article in the Jun86 issue of MacTutor; you can indeed do your
own "segmenting."

 David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: DA question (Re: Msg 26631)
Date: 5-JUN-22:43: Network Digests

 > From: dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen)
 > Subject: Re: DA question
 > The party line today is to not write DAs that big: just write an
 > application
 I submit that the party line ignores the fact that DAs are the best
multi- tasking available with System 6.0, because they use memory
dynamically. Applications have fixed size partitions.  Big DAs aren't
that hard to write, and A5 has nothing to do with it (tho it would make
life simpler).

 David Dunham     "We've got the best government money can buy."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: menu conflict with On-Cue, HFS Navig (Re: Msg 26631)
Date: 5-JUN-22:43: Network Digests

 > From: flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
 > Subject: menu conflict with On-Cue, HFS Navigator & Popkeys
 You can always use Findswell instead of HFS Navigator.  It's accessed
via a button so you don't have to mess with modifier keys.

 David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means there
 Maitreya Design   is an exit."      Disclaimer:  I wrote Findswell.

------------------------------

From: JONMORRIS
Subject: microphone 2
Date: 5-JUN-23:38: Telecommunicating

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a problem I have
with Microphone 2. I have a macintosh 2 and a hayes smartmodem 2400.  I
can't seem to get the modem to go into 2400 baud mode with this program.
Thanks, Jon

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: Macintalk patchwork
Date: 5-JUN-22:01: Software Supplement

Has anyone gotten the Macintalk Developers' Kit from APDA?  In
particular, does it discuss the various patches that might/should be
applied to earlier versions of Macintalk to do things like remove the
divide-by-zero bomb?  In fact, is the latest version patched to do these
things already?

The network digests indicate that Apple control neither the source code
nor the destiny of Macintalk.  Too bad.  I like my Macintosh to talk
like an Asian with a hair lip - or is that a cleft pate?

Laird

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Mac II WishList Summary (Re: Msg 26646)
Date: 6-JUN-21:02: Network Digests

 > From: Ken Laws <LAWS@IU.AI.SRI.COM>
 > Subject: Mac II WishList Summary
 Acta is not a slide tool, but a tool for organizing things.  Whether
you're organized or not.  Keep graphics, addresses, bug lists, notes,
even outlines in outline format, immediately accessible as a DA.

> locating files by their contents are Findswell (a bit slow)
 Findswell would be a bit slow at locating files by their content,
because that's not what it does.  It's the fastest program at locating
files by name. Even better, it remembers files and folders so you can
open them again without having to navigate through folders.  Buy now,
and you'll get the 2.0 update free.  Findswell 2.0 appears in all Open
and Save dialogs.  And you'll be able to locate files by their "Get
Info" comments.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Author of Acta and Findswell

------------------------------

From: GURU1
Subject: PC Font for the Mac
Date: 6-JUN-21:43: Business Mac

Here's an interesting request/question/query/stab in the dark...

Does anyone know where I can get a version of the PC character set for
the Mac? You know the one -- that ugly/boring pseudo courier thing that
IBM forced on the world.   I write books about PC software (using an SE
and MS Word of course) and it would be extremely convenient if I could
slap a PC character in text from time to time.

If anyone knows of a source for this, you'll have my undying gratitude.
The first reply might even get a free copy of The Cobb Group's
"Excellence -- The Excel Users Journal" or "The Inside Word -- The Word
Users Journal"... ;-)

Joe

------------------------------

From: BLOOMHARDT
Subject: DIABLO AND OTHER DAISY WHEEL PRINTERS
Date: 8-JUN-10:47: Hardware & Peripherals

I'm still searching on this question of what daisy wheel printer
interfaces best with the Mac.  I got our Diablo 630 to run somewhat okay
using a custom cable and the serial driver included in MS Word.  It took
some fiddling with the DIP switches, and I still can't get the control
codes for underlining or boldface to work, so I don't know if I'm on the
right track or not.
   Someone suggested looking into the NEC printers as a possibility.  I
know that the ELF model works okay with the Mac, but is slow for office
work demands.

The Brother printers were also suggested.  Anyone out there had any good
experiences?  Anyone used Mac-Daisy Link software?
   My feeling is that the MS Word drivers are the best avenue, if I can
come up with the right hardware.  Wish I could just use a Laser Writer,
but the Multi-lith masters I have to do every day require single-strike
impact images on the plate.
   Appreciate any feedback,

   Thanks,  Paul Bloomhardt

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Good 2400 modems?? (Re: Msg 26592)
Date: 8-JUN-14:07: Telecommunicating

In the continuing search for cheap 2400 baud modems, I just did a quick
and dirty test of an Avatex 2400. I think it's cheap, though I don't
have a price handy. Anyway, it just successfully called California,
Delphi, and CompuServe at 2400 with no apparent line noise. (I'm in
Boston). It's compact has a speaker (though I can't find a volume
control on it) and switches on the front for Data/Voice, Orig/Ans, and
Synch/Async. It also has a full complement of lights.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: SQZDEV
Subject: System 6.0 and Script Manager
Date: 7-JUN-12:49: Tech Notes

I recently received the System Software 6.0 beta version and the
accompanying tech notes for the script manager described new routines
for scanning and formatting strings to and from SANE extended reals
using Pictures a la Excel and 4th Dimension. Unfortunately there were no
descriptions of the record type definitions needed to call the routines
nor was there any description of the structure of the number parts table
in the itl4 resource and the canonical picture formats. Does anyone know
what the structure of some of these items are?

Thanks, Gordon Finlay

------------------------------

From: ALLBERY
Subject: Mac 512K questions
Date: 8-JUN-19:53: Hardware & Peripherals

I have just purchased a used Mac 512K.  Now I want to do something with
it... I have some questions.

(1) Does there exist somewhere a printer driver for an Epson LX-series
printer? I just bought an Epson-compatible (Oki 390, actually -- it is
NOT Oki compatible!) and would like to use it for the Mac as well as the
other computers around here.

(2) Are there any upgrade options available to me?  800KB drives, more
RAM, etc., even maybe a "package" upgrade to an SE or even a Mac II?
How about prices?

Thanks in advance to a new machacker...

++Brandon

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: Mac 512K questions (Re: Msg 26688)
Date: 8-JUN-20:45: Hardware & Peripherals

If you want to use an Epson printer with a Mac, the thing to get is the
Grappler C/Mac/GS from Orange Micro, or the Grappler LQ (for a 24 pin
printer) from the same place.  Don't bother with Epstart or PrintWorks
from SoftStyle; neither one orks very well (I've used both).

As for upgrading, you should first get an  upgrade to a 512E (800K drive
and 128K ROMs) from your local Apple dealer for about $275.  Next, you
can either go with a Dove memory upgrade (they seem to be the best, but
there are others out there, and I haven't seen them all), or, possibly
more attractive, get a 16MHz 68000 or 68020 accelerator board.  The
better ones have SIMM sockets on board; avoid those that don't.  With
one of these and 1MB SIMMs, you should be able to go to at least 4MB.
With the MacPeak Orion, you may be able to go to 8MB; they've told me
that they're working on a patch for this, but I doubt that they'll be
successful.

Brian

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #75 (Re: Msg 26707)
Date: 11-JUN 20:14 Network Digests

>From: gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: Re: Printer Drivers?
>Date: 3 Jun 88 04:01:00 GMT
>After a little bit of research, I find that most commercial 24-pin
>printers support 180*180 resolution.  This is 2.5 times the resolution
>of the ImageWriter...

Wrong, the resolution of the ImageWriter I and II is 144 dpi (in high
quality); the resolution of the ImageWriter LQ (in high quality) is 216
dpi.

Brian

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #76 (Re: Msg 26708)
Date: 11-JUN 20:22 Network Digests

>From: long@mosaic.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!)
>Subject: Mac carrying cases
>Date: 8 Jun 88 01:57:46 GMT
>Hi,
> Can anyone relate experiences with carrying cases?

The BEST Mac SE carrying case is made by Madson.  The retail price is
$129 or $139 (it's carried by ComputerWare in Palo Alto), and it has
enough room for an SE, the extended keyboard, mouse, cables, and a large
hard disk.  It's very well made, too;  ballistic nylon, heavy straps,
leather, etc.

Brian

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #74 (Re: Msg 26706)
Date: 12-JUN 16:14 Network Digests

>From: rcopm@koel.rmit.oz (Paul Menon)
>Subject: Help needed on L/W d/load Fonts
>Date: 1 Jun 88 04:58:33 GMT

Did any screen font files come with the PostScript download files? In
order for a font to be recongized as having an associated file with
PostScript code corresing to the font, the FOND resource must have
special information to be used by the LaserWriter driver.

..

>From: wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter)
>Subject: Re: Can FullWrite do this?
>Date: 3 Jun 88 11:00:36 GMT

The operation you want (stack superscript directl over subscript) can
easily be done with Microsoft word by using the formula facility.

------------------------------

From: DRITTNER
Subject: dataframe crash
Date: 14-JUN 22:50 Hardware & Peripherals

Thank God for MacZap.  I was able to recover most of my files from the
crashed Dataframe.  I owe them my first born (actually my third since I
already have two).  However, not so good news for the Cirrus.  They
haven't even looked at it.  Has anyone had similar problems with CIRRUS
crashing within a month? Don

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: ImageWriter pricing
Date: 14-JUN 22:50 Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone have any idea what a used ImageWriter I should sell for?

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: ImageWriter pricing (Re: Msg 26732)
Date: 15-JUN 02:41 Hardware & Peripherals

not much.

$100 might be fair - although it might be possible to get more; over
$200 would be out of the question.

Neil

------------------------------

From: NETMAN
Subject: Dollars and Sense 4.1b
Date: 16-JUN 08:32 Business Mac

If you are using this version of Dollars and Sense (the latest release),
be forewearned not to upgrade to System Software 6.0 as running D & S
under 6.0 can cause unrecoverable corruption of your data files.
Monogram expects to release 4.1c within a month to fix problems with the
new system software.

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: System 6.0 Sounds on non Mac II's
Date: 17-JUN 21:30 Bugs & Features

I've received several complaints among people who just got System 6.0
installed on their Mac Plus' and Mac SE's:  The beep sound is too low.
It *did* get noticably quieter even at the maximum setting.  Anyone know
why or how to make it louder?

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: MUSEUM
Subject: Drvrs and resedit
Date: 17-JUN 11:14 Macintosh Developers

Hi.  I have a question for anyone with experience hacking drvr's.  I
have a driver that was developed under an older system, so that it is
intended to be installed with RESEDIT, rather than self installing when
placed in the system folder.  What would I have to do to make it self
installing?  I presume that beyond stuffing all the relevanresources
into a file, I would have to make that file be of the correct type (?)
and make sure that the resource numbers don't tromp on any magic
numbers.  Can anyone help? --mike

------------------------------

From: SOCCERKING
Subject: scaning generator
Date: 18-JUN 22:26 Tools for Developers

Does anyone know of Lex or ScanGen for the Mac.

Brent.

------------------------------

From: DRITTNER
Subject: RE: Your MUG exchange thingy (Re: Msg 26782)
Date: 19-JUN 00:37 MUGS Online

Sure Raines (BTW, I just answered this on Apple Link).  To all MUG
editors. I have started a MUG NEWS SERVICE, mostly out of desperation.
After four years of trying to get members write for our newsleter, and
after talking to many of you at the NAUG88 conference in Ann ARbor last
April, we decided to do something about it.  Each month, I will be
sending all 800 user group editors a disk(s) packed with articles,
clipart, and any other userful Mac info for you to use in your
newsletter - free.  I have gotton corporate sponsors to pay for the
service so that all you need to do is one of three things (or all
three), 1) place a small quarter page ad in your newsletter, if you use
ads. 2), put the disk in your PD library for your members, and 3)
mention somewhere in your editoral or newsletter that the reprinted
material was supplied courtesy of the sponsor. That's it.  Furthermore,
if we use any of your newsletters articles, etc, we will pay you or the
author a small honorarium.m. m.  This service besides providing info for
all MAc enthusiasts will also develop better relationships between the
comapnies and the MUG community. Not all of them are abandoning the
little guy.  I have uploaded on Applelink an agreement form for MUG
editors to fill out and send me.
    Again, in a nutshell, the service is free to all MUG editors.  We
are also expanding the service to BBS's. If any additional info is
needed, please ask. P.S.  There are several large and excellent MUGS who
produce a tremendous amount of great writing (like your group Raines).
However, the majority of MUGs are small and do not have the resources or
expertise.  This service is an attempt to distribute and share that
wealth of information to all Mac users. Don

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 19-JUN 13:20 Network Digests

>To: bhatt@Apple.COM (Nick Bhatt)
>Subject: Re: Help! Labels get stuck in ImageWriter II

>I have been quietly watching the messages go back and forth on
>Usenet about the ImageWriter printing and peeling labels and I now have
>some questions.

I was wondering why I did not have this problem with my labels.  Then I
remembered that I always used "Hand Feed" instead of "Automatic" when I
printed labels.  I started this with my ImageWriter I, and continued on
the ImageWriter II.

Maybe this will work for others with this problem?
--
Laird J. Heal                          If a credo fits, share it.
Delphi:  MACLAIRD

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #79 (Re: Msg 26769)
Date: 19-JUN 22:08 Network Digests

 > Desk accessories are put into the heap of an application called
 > "DAHandler".
 Uh, don't they go into the system heap, which can expand and contract in size?
There should be no need to play around, except possibly with system heap size in the boot blocks.

 David Dunham     "We've got the best government money can buy."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

End of Delphi Mac Digest
************************