[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #62

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (06/25/88)

INFO-MAC Digest         Saturday, 25 Jun 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 62

Today's Topics:
                       "Reach for the Stars" query
              Re:  Help! Labels get stuck in ImageWriter II
                     LightspeedC 3.0 Upgrade Notice
                        Thunderscan -- not a toy
                             Re: word stuff
                         Recursion in HyperTalk
                    Law office software applications
                              Misc. Queries
                                FlashTalk
                                 Sounds
                    PICT resources w/ Cricketdraw 1.1
                                dataflow
                                Dataflow
              List - Query: Looking for 'two mac' debugger
                     Dedicated File Server on TOPS?
                      Re: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #11
                         Kinetics FastPath boxes
                              SCSI Question
                  MacPeak systems Orion SE accelerator
                         Warp 9 Drive Chattering
               QUESTION: Porting Mac generated PostScript
                               pd modula-2
                 Problems with a PageMaker 3.0 document
                        Mac II video alternatives

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 88 10:32:45 EDT
From: jba@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Jonathan B. Amsterdam)
Subject: "Reach for the Stars" query

Does anybody know anything about the game "Reach for the Stars"?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 10:21:41 EDT
From: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Re:  Help! Labels get stuck in ImageWriter II

Actually, I have been under the impression, for some time now, that the "little
dance" is to compensate for the difference between the top of form dimension on
the imagewriter II, as opposed to the imagewriter I. Notice that the same
printer driver will cause an iwII to dance, and an iwI not to, even tho both
are on the same mac, using the same driver, printing from the same program.

I think that the appropriate route for Apple to take, is to modify the released
version of the imagewriter driver to make the iwII the default, and to have the
iwI do the little dance.

My rationale behind that statement is my belief that the installed base of
iwII's greatly outnumbers that of iwI's. This is based upon my purely subjective
observations of what is installed where I work.

Is there an official word from Apple on this matter?

tom c

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 19:14:03 EDT
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: LightspeedC 3.0 Upgrade Notice

 debugger for fast development
	* Precompiled headers for maximum compilation speed
	* Support for routines in Inside Macintosh volumes 1-5
	* inline 68020 and 68881 support
	* new documentation

The most exciting of the new features is the source-level debugger.
It lets you set breakpoints, trace execution line by line or function
by function, examine and modify variables, arrays, and structs while
the program is running.

THINK C will run with one megabyte of memory, however, to use the source
level debugger you'll need at least two megabytes and MultiFinder.

All registered users can upgrade to version 3.0 for $69 plus shipping
costs. The new version will read projects built with version 2.01 or
later directly.

If you purchased LightspeedC after February 1, 1988, your upgrade
is free. With your update order, include a copy of your dated sales
receipt or purchase order with your request, along with a check to
cover shipping costs.

Send upgrade orders to:

	Symantec Corp.
	Customer Service Dept.
	THINK's LightspeedC 3.0 Upgrade
	10201 Torre Ave.
	Cupertino, CA 95014

In your order, please supply your name, company, address, phone number,
LightspeedC registration number, and a check or money order for the costs.
NO CREDIT CARD OR PURCHASE ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Also note that
UPS will not deliver to PO Box addresses.

When ordering your upgrade, please specify your shipping preference:

	UPS Ground - $3.50
	UPS Second Day Air - $5.50

Please allow two to four weeks for processing of your order.

You have any questions about the upgrade process, please call
(408) 446-9994.

If you have not registered your copy of LightspeedC, send in your
original registration card or original LightspeedC system disk, along
with your name, company, address, phone number, and check or money
order to the above address.

To avoid delay, we recommend placing your upgrade order as soon as possible.

Diana Bury
Language Products Manager

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 21:26:18 PDT
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Thunderscan -- not a toy

Thunderscan is not just a toy. My wife (and many others) use it to scan
images that are "polished up" in Adobe Illustrator and other programs
for professional use. My wife operates a destop publishing business.

We have not felt it was worth the expense at this time to purchase a more
expensive scanner which would not offer significantly greater benefits.
The main inconvenience of using Thunderscan is that it does take a considerable
amount of time to scan an image.

mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 10:12:23 EDT
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@VAX.BBN.COM>
Subject: Re: word stuff

It is actually quite easy to patch the version of WordFinder so that it can
work with other applications than Word (by default it also works with the
Finder).  I did not see anything which said that you violate some kind of
agreement by altering the software, but all the same I decline to post the
specifics of the patch.

	--Mark

P.S. My company did not put me up to this -- I did it with my own Mac at
home.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 88 09:04:00 EST
From: "ARTIC::PSOTKA" <psotka%artic.decnet@ari-hq1.arpa>
Subject: Recursion in HyperTalk

In working with HyperTalk we have found the number of levels of recursion to be very limited.  We have been unable to go pass 8 levels.  Does anyone know if
it is possible to get around this limitation?

				Seymour Hanfling
				202-274-5948

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1988 13:05:38 EDT
From: Kathy S Brown <KATHY%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Law office software applications

Our General Counsel's office here at Brown is interested in developing a
database/file management application for document/case tracking.  Is anyone
else here in Macland also doing something in this area?  They have seen
applications to their liking in the DOS world but we'd like to keep them in
the Mac environment they're used to...

Another area of consideration is running this DOS application on the Mac
(again a 2nd choice in my opinion), but does anyone have anything to add to
the AST card vs. SoftPC "debate"?

Any suggestions, comments etc. would be most appreciated.
Kathy Brown
Academic & User Services
Brown University
Bitnet: KATHY@BROWNVM
AppleLink: A0287

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 23:56 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Misc. Queries

Hi MacScholars!

        Two quick questions, and then you can get back to work:

1)  Do you have first-hand experience with CMS MacStack or Everex EMAC
drives?  I would appreciate some info (other than from an ad) on these,
as I have not been able to find reviews.

2)  Do you know anything about WriteNow V2.0 ?  I would like to get the
most current version, but would rather stick with 1.07 if 2.0 has gone
the memory-hog route like many of its kin.  The ad in MacUser said lots
of nice stuff, but they aren't bragging about fitting into a 128K
partition anymore.

        Thanks for any comments, info, or really good jokes you
might pass on.

                                Jeff Templon
                        Indiana U. Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 21:00 CST
From: <SPCLAR%MACALSTR.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: FlashTalk

        Does anyone out there have any knowledge of a package called FlashTalk,
which can supposedly boost the throughput of Appletalk networks? Also, we're
going to be networking some 30 mac II's, in 2 appletalk zones, to our
VAX 11/780, most likely with a kinetics fastpath gateway. Anyone who has
any suggestions as to the best/easiest/cheapest ways of doing this, please
speak up!
                Thanks,
                Pete Clark
                SPCLAR@MACALSTR.BITNET
p.s. please respond by direct mail, if there's interest, I'll post the replies.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 17:19:38 PDT
From: mse%Phobos.Caltech.Edu%CitJulie.Bitnet@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
From: (Martin Ewing)
Subject: Sounds

OK, so I bit and downloaded Soundmaster recently.  (Have avoided
such frills in the past.)  Only problem- no sound files (only 1 that
works on info-mac archive).

Would someone suggest a good source for sounds?

Thanks,
Martin Ewing
mse@caltech.edu, mse@citphobo.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 17:03 EST
From: JJ_KRAME%FANDM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: PICT resources w/ Cricketdraw 1.1

I'm currently having problems transferring PICT files. To be more specific
I need to transfer a Pict file created with Superpaint to CricketDraw 1.1.
I have run in to a lot of of problems getting the full picture to load into
Cricketdraw when I open them. I have read Tech Note #154 and I understand
that the maximum size for a Pict resource is 32k, it does go into something
about how you can enlarge that by reading the picture to the end-of-picture
opcode.  I even understand that but I don't have the ability to implement
it. (It is obvious that CricketDraw doesn't have this ability). I guess
what I am asking is does anyone know a way to get Cricketdraw to load the
whole PICT resource not just a 32k block?  Incidentally does anyone know
how programs determine what 32k portion of the PICT resource actually
loads up?.......
                         Joe Kramer
            Consultant--Franklin and Marshall College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 88 11:05:48 EDT
From: <kim@cs.williams.edu>
Subject: dataflow

I have a very old version (0.0 written in 1985) of a program called DataFlow,
written by Gustavo A. Fernandez.  Unfortunately I have neither documentation
nor any address to find the author (there is a Stanford E-mail address, but
the author is apparently no longer there).  Does anyone have any further
information on this program?  In particular, is there a newer version, or is
there any documentation anywhere?  I also would be interested in any information
on any other simulator for a dataflow machine available either on Macs or
on Suns.  Thanks,
	Kim Bruce, Williams College
	kim@cs.williams.edu, bruce@williams.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 88 15:58:53 EDT
From: <kim@cs.williams.edu>

An addition to my previous questions on dataflow.  I have found two items
in the archives marked dataflow.dcc and dataflow.hcx.  Unfortunately they
both seem to have been corrupted.  Does anyone have a clean version of either
of these that they could upload or send directly to me?
	Kim Bruce, Williams College
	Kim@cs.williams.edu or bruce@williams.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 88 13:32:09 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: List - Query: Looking for 'two mac' debugger

Hello,
I need to debug a program that does real time hardware control from
a mac II. I remember there used to be a debugger running on a second
mac connected via the serial port that allows the monitoring of the
execution on the first mac.

Any pointer in the right direction will be appriciated,
send answers direct to:

   Dr. Ami Zakai      LifeSci project, Telecommunication.

                      Rappaport Institute for Medical Research,
                      P.O.B. 9697, Haifa 31096  ISRAEL
                      Phone   +972-4-516265
                      Fax     +972-4-521296 attn Zakai
                      Email    RPR1ZAK@TECHNION.BITNET
                               RPR1ZAK@TECHNION.TECH.AC.IL
                               RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 	  Mon, 20 Jun 88 16:26:23 PDT
From: grow#jerry%e.mfenet@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Dedicated File Server on TOPS?

From: grow%mfe.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa (Jerry Grow)
Org'n: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Date: June 20, 1988
Subject: A Dedicated File Server on TOPS?

We are using TOPS on a network consisting of three Mac SEs,
four Mac Pluses, one Mac II, a LaserWriter Plus, and a
LaserWriter II NTX. Even though TOPS is designed as a
distributed file server, we would like to know if system
speed could be improved by dedicating one of the Macs as a
file server. In addition, we would appreciate hints on how the
system administrator could limit accessibility to files from
the central file server (other than by using a password).
Thanks for any advice.

Jerry

------------------------------

From: dartvax!eleazar!earleh.UUCP@seismo.css.gov (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: Re: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #11
Date: 21 Jun 88 00:53:34 GMT
Sender: dartvax!news.UUCP@seismo.css.gov

>From: SOCCERKING
>Subject: scaning generator
>Date: 18-JUN 22:26 Tools for Developers
>
>Does anyone know of Lex or ScanGen for the Mac.
>
>Brent.

I posted sources to flex to comp.sources.mac a month or so ago.  It's
an MPW Tool in my implementation, but could probably be compiled in
LSC or Aztec or whatever with little trouble.  If it doesn't show up
there soon enough for you, then send me a blank disk and some stamps.

Earle Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755.
Earle R. Horton, Thayer School of Engineering, Hanover, NH
  I wouldn't mind dying -- it's that business of having to stay dead that
  scares the sh*t out of me.  -- R. Geis

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 08:36 5
From: "I am only an egg." <JOHNSON@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu>
Subject: Kinetics FastPath boxes

     I'm trying to get a LocalTalk network and a TCP/IP Ethernet to talk
to each other using Kinetics FastPath boxes.  I'm also having a bit of a
problem with it.  I have class B IP addresses on both sides of the box.
The box seems to downline fine with the NSCA downline code.  It also
sends RTMP packets out at 10 second intervals after it comes up.  So far
so good but I don't seem to be able to get from one side of the box to
the other with NCSA TELNET.

     Any help greatly appreciated.  Please contact me direct if possible.
I'll summarize any wonderous wizardry for the list.

     Address is (or should be)

     johnson@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu

                     or

     johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@relay.cs.net

Chris Johnson
Northeastern University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 17:21 EDT
From: Neal Feinberg <Feinberg@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: SCSI Question

Does anyone have sources for a simple program written in either Pascal
or C which reads one block from a SCSI device, or even just reads
Inquiry Data information from a SCSI device?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 22:07 CST
From: SPCLAR%MACALSTR.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: MacPeak systems Orion SE accelerator

        Does anyone out there have any experience with the MacPeak Orion
SE accelerator? I'm considering purchasing one, and any feedback on the
board itself, its support & and software, and software compatibility would
be greatly appreciated.
        If you have a different accelerator and you have great things to
say about it, please let me know as well!
        Please reply directly to me if possible, I'll compile and repost the
replies if there are a lot or if anyone else is interested.
                Thanks,
                        Pete Clark
                        SPCLAR@MACALSTR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 1988 09:49-EDT
Sender: LIZZA@A.ISI.EDU
Subject: Warp 9 Drive Chattering
From: LIZZA@A.ISI.EDU

Just took delivery of a Warp 9, 30Meg external drive.  I have
noticed that when you reset the Mac the drive light comes on
solid and it chatters the entire time until the Mac starts the
boot sequence.  This period can vary depending on the memory
configuration of the Mac but it lasts at least for several
seconds.  Warp 9 has been very responsive to my calls.  But they
tell me that this is a calibration test as the head steps over
all the tracks--related to the auto-park feature and having a
step motor rather than voice coil.  And, other drives do this
also (though the 5 I've worked with do not.)  Does this make
sense or is there some problem in their driver software that
causes the disk to thrash while the Mac is doing its memory test?
Note that this does not happen on cold starts and that this drive
uses a Miniscribe disk.  Thanx...  P.S.  They give a 30-day
return privledge so I appreciate the input

---Carl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 21:05:57 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: QUESTION: Porting Mac generated PostScript

Hello,
I need help from some1 who 'done it' :)
I have a PostScript file on the Mac, I want to make it available for any
postscript printer no matter if its on a Vax or connedted to a PC.
How do I do it?
I need to mention the file was created using the command-F option of the
LaserWriter print dialog. Its suppose to be standard ASCII file with some
encapsulated graphics inside. It is of type TEXT and creator MPS for its
recognition by the postscript loaders (LaserStatus, PS dump etc..).
I never tried to submit a Mac prepared postscript file to a printer     r
other then the Mac's LaserWriter, have you?
Since I anticipate all sort of technical questions from the intended
audience of this file like to add a small 'how to do it' manual with the file. A
as much detail as possible.

Please send in your experience with various machines, I will summerize
and post the 'manual'

  --Zak

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 14:49 -0500
From: Mark Roseman <shad40@cc.uofm.cdn>
Subject: pd modula-2

hello.  i'm looking for a public domain modula-2 computer that runs on the
macintosh (NOT under MPW though).  please send any information to me directly
(at shad40@cc.uofm.cdn) as i'm not a member of this list.

thanks in advance.

mark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 17:08:35 EDT
From: Alonso Velazquez <PLALONSO@TECMTYVM>
Subject: Problems with a PageMaker 3.0 document

One question for all of you...
 Does anyone recover a PageMaker 3.0 document?
The problem is that marks the end of file before read all file
and after says "Sorry, a system..." with the know Restart option
choise.
I will appreciate the help that you may give me.
Thanks in advance and Regards.

Alonso Velazquez
Department of Academic Services
Institute of Technologic Studies at Monterrey

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 10:12 CST
From: SPCLAR%MACALSTR.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Mac II video alternatives

        We here at Macalester College are going to be purchasing some 30
mac II's, and we're interested in any 3rd party monochrome video systems,
with similar capabilities to the Apple system, and a lower price. We're
also interested in both the high end (300Mb) and low end (20Mb) of internal
hard drives & backup systems.
        Please reply directly, I'll compile & repost any replies.
                Thanks,
                Pete Clark
                SPCLAR@MACALSTR.BITNET

End of INFO-MAC Digest