[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #63

Moderators.Jon.Pugh;Dwayne.Virnau;Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (07/14/88)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 14 Jul 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 63

Today's Topics:
                    Ethertalk on IBM-PC's ??? Help...
                               laptop mac?
                         Telnet problems - Help!
                         New Mac user questions
                       flames against Bering.....
                  Program to cat and label disk library
                             game-Marienbad
                                 KERMIT
                      BITNET - AppleLink connection
                                serial IP
                 Dumping a postscript file to a printer?
                              A/UX and X.25
                            Re: A/UX and X.25
                      Re: INFO-MAC Digest   V6 #62
                           Where's Binhex 4.0?
              Single frame video tape recording on a MAC II
                   Request for info on Mac remarketing
                 Dumping Postscript to a Remote Printer

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 88 09:09 CDT
From: JEFF SMITH <CS_JSMITH@uta.edu>
Subject: Ethertalk on IBM-PC's ??? Help...

Does anyone know if the Ethernet cards for PC's (3-COM) can access
Appleshare on a MAC via Ethertalk?

Details:
10 PC's w/ Ethernet Cards (3-COM)
10 MAC's w/ Ethernet Cards (Apple or Kinetics)
 2 MAC's w/ Appleshare, Lasershare
 1 Kinetics FastPath
 2 Apple Laserwriters on Localtalk (through Fastpath)
 3 Mac's on Localtalk (through Fastpath)

I know there are Appletalk cards for the IBM-PC, but we already
have Ethernet cards. Any other comments are appreciated. Please
respond directly, I will post the response.

Jeff Smith
The University of Texas at Arlington
* BITNET B609CSE@UTARLG
  CS-NET CS_JSMITH@EVAX.ARLINGTON.UTEXAS.EDU

* please respond here if possible, CS-NET is a phonenet node <slow>

------------------------------

From: frameli@dpdmai.dec.com (Vernon Dale Frameli)
Subject: laptop mac?
Date: 25 Jun 88 13:22:46 GMT

    what's the latest rumor on the laptop mac? when?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 88 17:59 U
From: <MAYINN%ITIVAX.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Telnet problems - Help!

Would anybody out there have any experience in telnetting to the VAX
8530 using NCSA Telnet from Kinetics ? The configuration used is:

AppleTalk to Ethernet via the Kinetics FastPath gateway, NCSA
Telnet(v2.1) for telnetting to a VAX8530 running a TCP/IP package
(v3.0) from Wollongong, VMS (v4.7) and All-in-one.

My problem is in the terminal emulation provided by the NCSA Telnet;
it allows me to log in to the VAX but then it hangs shortly after that.
When I try to get into All-in-one, I get QIO ERROR.  I've tried
contacting the developer but they are rather slow getting back (if
at all!) if anybody can help please email me directly to the BitNet
address below.

Thanks in advance.

May Inn Wong

BitNet: MAYINN@ITIVAX.BITNET

Information Technology Institute
National Computer Board
Republic of Singapore.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 88 10:33:53 EDT
From: Richard.Lewis@CENTRO.SOAR.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: New Mac user questions

Mac users:

I was finally lured into the Mac world recently (via a 2-floppy SE) and I'd
like to begin immediately using it to dial up the CS computers (via 2400
baud).  I have a few McNovice questions:

1. What communications software should I be using? I used to run a public
domain VT100 emulator on a PC; there must be something similar for the Mac?
Pointers, offers to help acquire public domain programs, etc.  would be
greatly appreciated.

2. A related technical question:  I've become quite attached to having 3 or 4
windows logged in to the same machine on my RT.  It would be wonderful if
there existed some stripped down X emulator, or some clever wasy of using
multifinder, or whatever, that made use of multiple windows on the Mac.
Wishful thinking?

3. One of the big draws (if you'll pardon the pun) for me was the
availability of wonderful graphics programs, so I can illustrate my
presentations and papers with pretty pictures and diagrams.  The plan is to
upload the postscript file (via Kermit, I guess?) and include it in a LaTex
source.  Any advice about good programs, (I've had some experience with
MacDraw, MacPaint, and SuperPaint), and about this process in general, would
also be appreciated.  HyperCard (which came with my Mac), seems to have some
graphics capabilities.  Is this adequate for the task?

Thanks,

Rick
(rick@centro.cs.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

From: boulder!boulder!chase@ncar.UCAR.EDU (stumpy)
Subject: flames against Bering.....
Date: 27 Jun 88 17:29:35 GMT
Sender: boulder!sigi!news@ncar.UCAR.EDU

I have had a Bering 1220C drive (20 megabyte Miniscribe
and 20 megabyte removable cartridge system-Bernoulli
technology) and am submitting a questionnaire to others
with a similar device:

Have you had compatibility problems (system crashes
when you attempt to move a folder/file from one disk to
another) with a Mac SE or Mac II when you connect the
1220C with one other SCSI device?  Were these problems
resolved after receiving version 2.10 of the Totem driver?
Have you lost information as a result of these system
crashes?

Have you ever removed the MiniScribe to determine if it
contains SCSI terminator packs?  If so, did you find the
packs or did you find the locations where they had been
soldered?

If you have had problems, have you resolved your
problems with Bering?  If so, would you elaborate on the
details of the settlement?

The reason for my questionnaire is due to the fact that I
have had problems with my Totem device for a year: it
was incompatible with my Jasmine Direct Drive 80.  Three
months ago, I sent my device to Bering for evaluation;
the problem was attributed as being an "anomaly".
However, I resolved the issue of incompatibility after
talking to a fella who will be writing device drivers for
Jasmine.  Last week, after a few simple tests, he
concluded the Totem had an internal SCSI pack.
Yesterday, I had a friend open the Totem unit and remove
the MiniScribe.  He found that Bering had forgotten to
remove the packs from the Miniscribe (realize that each
Bering kit includes an external terminator -- but there is
NO mention of an internal SCSI resistor pack  in the Totem
manual).

Today, I advised Bering of my discovery: their technical
support personnel stated that having 3 SCSI terminators
(Mac II has an internal terminator, there is the
terminator in the MiniScribe, and the internal resistor
packs inside the Jasmine) does not necessarily cause
crashes.  Yet, when I talked to the manufacturer of
MiniScribe, they stated that it would.  And, of course, the
ANSI standard specifically states there are to be only two
SCSI terminators -- one at the beginning and another at
the end of the chain.

At this point, I am bothered with Bering's response for
several reasons:  1) I have received dis-information
regarding SCSI devices, particularly with the assertion
that having 3 SCSI is not necessarily the reason for the
system crashes that have occurred for the past year.  2)
As a result of two crashes, I have lost historical
documents (ironically, each crash occurred as I was
backing my Jasmine Direct Drive 80 to the Totem
removable cartridge).  3)  That I had invested $2,000+ in a
piece of hardware that has remained idle for the better
part of a year as being an "anomaly".

I am distrustful of Bering at this point -- the purpose of
my questionnaire is twofold:  1)  if anyone is having
problems with their Totem drive, check for internal
resistors.  2)  Has anyone else felt the "run around" from
Bering technical support.
A. Chase Turner 			UUCP: chase@boulder.colorado.EDU
Department of Computer Science		"you can call me stumpy"
University of Colorado
Boulder, Colorado  80309

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 88 15:00:16 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: Program to cat and label disk library

I am trying to find a program that will catalogue a disk library and print
disk labels.  Does anyone know of a program that does this.  I have found
ones that will do one or the other but not both.  Thanks

John Buono

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 88 17:01 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: game-Marienbad

I have posted a new game on MACSERVE called Marienbad.  It is a nim-like
game as played in the 1960's film "Last Year at Marienbad," and is excellent
for your summer's pleasure.  Please enjoy it; it is archived on MACSERVE
as GAME-MARIENBAD.  It must be unstuffed and binHexed.  Instructions are
in a menu item.

david a. belsley
boston college          belsley@bcvax3.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 88 16:41:24 EDT
From: JEAN BRUNET <R31631@UQAM>
Subject: KERMIT

How can I make the last release of Kermit (available on MacServe) compatible
with my keyboard (Mac +). Thanks for the assistance... Jean: R31631@UQAM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 88 16:58:41 EDT
From: "Larry Bradley, National Research Council"
From: <LARRY%NRCVM01.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>

I am a new MAC II user, and I have picked up a few programs from the
archives via BITNET. There are a few to do with sounds (e.g. generating
"BEEP" sounds, etc. But there is no info on how one goes about creatingg
sounds to be used with these programs. Can anyone suggest ways
of creating sounds, or books that describe what I should do?

Also, how do I get more info on what goes on inside the MAC II, in terms
of the software and hardware?

Thanks in advance.
(Please reply direct, if you can, as I don't always get this mailing)
Larry Bradley
Communications Manager
National Research Council of Canada
Networks Branch
Ottawa, Canada
(613) 993-0240

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 88 20:48 EDT
From: John Jamison <JAMISON@swarthmr.bitnet>
Subject: BITNET - AppleLink connection

I heard from an AppleLink user that there is a gateway somewhere which will
handle bitnet to applelink mail, and vice-versa.  Can someone please e-mail
to me information about this alleged fact?

John Jamison
jamison@swarthmr.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 07:48:26 MDT
From: Capt Geoff Mulligan <geoff@usafa.ARPA>
Subject: serial IP

Do any of the implementations of IP/TCP for the MAC SE support serial IP?

	geoff

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 88 11:24:00 EST
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nbs.gov>
Subject: Dumping a postscript file to a printer?

I am trying to dump a postscript file to a Varitype 600 dpi postscript printer.
I create postscript files via the Command F option when the Mac print dialogue
box appears. I then put that file on a floppy and carry it to the Mac II
which is connected to the postscript printer.

However, I do not know how to dump that to the printer? The Mac II/printer is
not my system, so I can do much experimentation on it. Can anyone tell me what
I should do??

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 10:27:58 EDT
From: Andres Echenique <aecheniq@VAX.BBN.COM>
Subject: A/UX and X.25

Does anyone know if Apple or some other company is putting "TCP/IP
over x.25" support into a/ux?

Also, is it possible (from the a/ux kernel) to set control bits in the
Z8530 communications chip to make it run SDLC/HDLC instead of async
stuff? This would allow the MacII to act as an x.25 host without out
extra hardware. Or, from another approach, are there any NU-bus x.25
boards around?

And: when is Apple planning to release X-windows for A/UX?

Andres Echenique
BBN Laboratories Inc.
10 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA
617-873-4304

------------------------------

Subject: Re: A/UX and X.25
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 11:17:36 -0400
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@ALEXANDER.BBN.COM>

Andres writes;
>> And: when is Apple planning to release X-windows for A/UX?

My latest issue of _Macintosh_Today_ which came yesterday said that
Apple previewed A/UX 1.1 at USENIX last week.  Version 1.1 includes
color support, appletalk printing, and X11. They said the release date
for 1.1 was "after October, but before December."

		--Jim Dempsey--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 88 17:31:52 pdt
From: David Rudolph <rudolph@isc.intel.com>
Subject: Re: INFO-MAC Digest   V6 #62

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen anything
recently: I'm planning to buy a hard drive in the 20-40M range in the near
future.  I'd appreciate any comments (pro or con) regarding experiences with
any drives on the market in that range.  thanks.

David Rudolph         rudolph%isc.intel.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 14:38:47 EDT
From: ron@vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax)
Subject: Where's Binhex 4.0?

Can someone please tell me where I can get Binhex4.0, and how to get
it from UNIX to my Mac II (I have MacKermit...).  Thanks.

--
ron@vsedev.vse.com	(Ron Flax)
uucp:	..!uunet!vsedev!ron

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 1988 14:17-EDT
Sender: ROSENKING@A.ISI.EDU
Subject: Single frame video tape recording on a MAC II
From: Alex Peck

Here at Grumman's Image lab we have been making single frame
movies for several years.  Our imaging systems (which are NOT
Macintoshes) generate a single image which is plotted on a video
frame buffer, sent to an NTSC encoder, and passed to a Video tape
controller made by Lyonlamb.  When the controller receives the
RECORD command over it's RS-232 serial line, that video frame is
recorded onto the attached 3/4" U-MATIC video tape recorder.
During the making of a movie, this process is automatically
repeated for each frame until the movie is complete.  This should
work with a MAC II equipped with an NTSC converter just as well.
(we are in the process of testing the Julian Systems NTSC
converter which we just received yesterday).

    If you are interested, drop me a line at this address, and I
can give you the details.  Good luck.

                                                Alex Peck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 15:14:52 CDT
From: "Jeff Balvanz" <GR.JLB%ISUMVS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Request for info on Mac remarketing

First off, my apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post
this, but I'm new at this sort of thing. . .

We here at Iowa State are in the final throes of signing a Higher
Education Purchase Program contract with Apple Computer for
remarketing Macintoshes to faculty/staff/students.  As one of the
people involved in the actual remarketing process, I would
appreciate any feedback from people already doing similar things at
other institutions.

We would like to get in touch with persons involved in Apple
remarketing at other universities and colleges.  Specificially, I
would appreciate:

     1.  Name of a contact person in the remarketing group;

     2.  A network address (preferably BITNET, but I can get to the
Internet also, see below) so we can contact you;

     3.  Any comments you might have concerning your relationship
with Apple, tips and tricks of the trade, your experiences,
war/horror stories, or other juicy tidbits.

Please respond to me directly via E-mail; if you are interested, I
would be happy to summarize responses via return mail or to the net
if folks are interested.

Again, sorry if this isn't the appropriate group to post this
to. . .but this was our best guess.  Thanks for your cooperation.

Jeff Balvanz                              BITNET: GRJLB@ISUMVS
Senior Technical Consultant               INTERNET:  GMMPC@VAXD.IASTATE.EDU
Microcomputer Services                    PHONE:  (515) 294-8683
Iowa State University Computation Center  USMail:  104 C.S., AMES, IA 50011

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 88 22:28:00 EST
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nbs.gov>
Subject: Dumping Postscript to a Remote Printer

For some time I have been unable to buy a laser printer, although there are
many postscript printers nearby at work. If you are in a similar situation
and wish to print on a "remote" laser printer, ie, not connected to you by
appletalk, here is how to do it.

First, create a postscript file by holding down 'command shift f' as you
release the 'ok' button in the standard print dialogue box. This creates an
ascii postscript file. You must choose the laserwriter driver from the chooser
before you print, and it does NOT matter if there is no laserwriter
connected to your system when you do this.

To dump the postscript out, use the utility "SendPS" to dump the file out on
the remote Mac system. SendPS is only 32K in size, so you have room for 750K of
postscript on a floppy that you can carry to the remote system. (To set the
scale, a 20 page TeX document produced 450K of postscript, while a one page
bitmap is 69K)The beauty of this is that SendPS works with output from ANY Mac
application. (I have posted SendPS to the infomac archives).

This works wonderfully for me. I have tried it with a Laserwriter NT and
with a 600 dpi Varityper printer. If you have a printer nearby at work or a
shared printer at a University, or if you use the printers at Kinko's copy
centers, this process should be of some help.

End of INFO-MAC Digest