Date: 	  Sat, 23 Jul 88 12:24:45 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Netter's Dinner

Well, with the Boston MacWorld coming up on 11 through 14 August, it is time
to start thinking about the semiannual Netter's Dinner!

Getting people together should be no problem since plenty of people want to
eat, but when we get 60 or so people involved, we need a very understanding
restaurant with a big banquet room.  Since I live in the SF area, I am not as
familiar with the Boston area as I need to be.  I would like to petition any
netters living in the Boston area to get their fingers walking and find us an
understanding place within walking distance of the hall so that we can pull
this thing off.

Dinner is tentatively planned for 6:30 on Saturday the 13th of August. Please
RSVP to PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA so I can get an accurate head count and reserve a big
enough place for us to chow.

The idea has been suggested that we just make this into a real party, so if
anyone is stupid enough to donate their house or other facility, then we can
do that, but since we have no funding (and the group was virtually all male
in January) maybe we had better stick to dinner and crash someone else's
party :-)

Jon "one of the elite but foolish volunteer moderators" Pugh

pugh@nmfecc.arpa
(415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 13:31:34 PDT
From: digiorgi@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV
Subject: re: curve fitting software

I am posting this reply for one of my colleagues here at JPL.
Direct reply to my address below if this reaches you.

Godfrey DiGiorgi
digiorgi@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon, Jul 18, 1988
----------------
To: Dr. NORBERT MUELLER
       INSTITUTE OF CHEMISTRY
       JOHANNES KEPLER UNIVERSITY
      A-4040 LINZ
      AUSTRIA
Dr. Mueller was looking for curve-fitting software.

While I know of no commercial packages, I have had success
with Fortran programs that I found in the book: Data
Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences, P.
R. Bevington, McGraw-Hill, 1969. The program I have used is
GRIDLS, a non-linear, least-squares fitting subroutine that
is very flexible- the only requirement is that you must be
able to express the function you wish to fit to your data
points as a Fortran expression. I have not programmed this
subroutine on my Macintosh yet, but it works well on a VAX
and I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a Mac.

Good luck.
Tom Farr
MS 300-233
Jet Propulsion Lab
Pasadena, CA 91109

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Jun 88 19:18:00 SET
From: EDB87003%NOBIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Linear programming for on the Macintosh.

Date: 7 June 88, 19:17:24 SET
From: Georg Moe                 47-2-123050          EDB87003 at NOBIVM
To:   INFO-MAC-REQUEST at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD

Hello

Does anyone out there know about a program (public domain) for
linear, integer and quadratic programming (like Lindo for the PC)
for the Macintosh?

Sincerely

                               Georg Moe
    ____                       DP Department
   / __  __  _________         Norwegian School of Management
  (___/ (___(__) / (__)        PO. Box 69, N-1341 Bekkestua, NORWAY
 ____________________/         Tlf (+47 2) 12 30 50 ext. 232

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 21:03:42 LCL
From: "Tony S. Dahbura" <DAHBURA%SUVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Help locating a utility

Does anyone know of a way to generate apple ii assembler code on a mac?
I would like to develop the code on the mac and transfer it via my serial
cable to my apple ][.  Is there a pd 6502 assembler for the mac?  I can
probably get kermit to do the transfers.
Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

/thanks
/Tony Dahbura
US Mail   : 262 Small Road
            Syracuse, NY 13210
            U.S.A.
Phone     : 315-476-0989

------------------------------

Date: Mon 18 Jul 88 16:42:27-EDT
From: Mark McCall <MCCALL@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>
Subject: Imagewriter LQ RFI

Request for any information good or bad about the Imagewriter LQ announced
in Jan by Apple.  The only information I have seen is a letter to the editor
in the latest MACUSER.  The letter was less than complimentary.  A friend is
buying his first MAC (an SE) and is trying to talk himself into (or out of)
the LQ.  Therefore any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Send repies to mccall@radc-tops20.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 17:26:13 EDT
From: gillett@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Walter Gillett)
Subject: refreshing modeless dialog boxes

As a novice Mac hacker, I'd like some advice on modeless dialog boxes.
I have coded a very small test application (using MPW C) that does
nothing but put up a modeless dialog box with three buttons.  In
response to clicking on the buttons, the program ("test") moves the
dialog box around the screen.

Everything works fine except refreshing the controls of the dialog box
when it is uncovered by another window.  Any portions of the buttons
that were obscured do not get repainted.  According to Inside Mac, the
Dialog Manager is supposed to handle the update event, given the
sequence of calls to IsDialogEvent and DialogSelect.  (Since the
buttons work, the call to DialogSelect must be successful.)  I have
tried calling DrawControls myself and it doesn't appear to make any
difference.  Note that the buttons remain active even when they are no
longer visible on the screen.

-Walter

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 88 12:02:00 EDT
From: Nahum (N.) Goldmann <ACOUST%BNR.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Object-Oriented bboard?
Sender: Nahum (N.) Goldmann <ACOUST%BNR.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>

Everybody in Canada who is interested in the Object-Oriented Programming
(OOP) and/or in the behavioral design research as related to the
development of human-machine interfaces (however remotely connected to
these subjects) - please reply to my e-mail address.  The long-term
objective - organization of a corresponding Canadian bulletin board.

Greetings and thanks.

Nahum Goldmann
(613)763-2329

e-mail: <ACOUST@BNR.CA>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 May 88 09:27:28 EDT
From: Mark Nickel <MNGSJ%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac-to-Data-General and back

I am looking for someone who has experience uploading and downloading files
from a Mac to a Data General (running AOS/VS 6.04). I use VersaTerm as my
DG200 terminal emulator, which works wonderfully, but I cannot get the file
transfer stuff to work. Is there Kermit for AOS/VS? Does anything else work?
Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 JUL 88 08:21:45 PDT
From: "Jonathan M. Levine"  <VISRES.JLEVINE@CRVAX.SRI.COM>
Subject: Mathematica

All I read about these days in MacWEEK is "Mathematica, Mathematica,
Mathematica..."  What I grasp from reading the articles is that the MacWEEK
staff is convinced this program is important, although they aren't sure why,
and won't (or can't) explain what it does.  Has this program been released?
Has anyone seen it?  Can I get a demo/buy a copy?  How does it compare to
other symbolic math software?  (And how is the author getting around the
trademark on the word Mathematica that the RAMIS II people own?)

Answers, pointers, handles appreciated...

                            Jonathan Levine

                            visres.jlevine@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 88 17:32:38 +0200
From: Jay Rolls <jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa>
Subject: DISKUS Presentation Planner

Does anyone know of a source or distributor (or address of developer)  where  I
can  obtain  a  program  entitled  "Presentation  Planner" by DISKUS Electronic
Trading (Ingram Software Centram Distrib. Westinghouse Disk Catalog)?  Any info
appreciated.

Jay Rolls
jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa
Stuttgart, West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 88 13:30 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: MathType

Hello Net.

        I've seen lots of people complain about the lack of information
on MathType; the only review seems to be that in the April MacWorld (and
we know how INFORMATIVE their reviews are...) and a tidbit in the latest
MacUser article on DTP.

        Well, I just recieved a DEMO DISK, *FREE* from Design Science,
of MathType, and not even really crippled; the only difference between it
and the real program is that the characters are permuted upon output.
Both the DA and program are included.  I would post it, but the demoware
agreement does not allow posting to "dial-up" boards. I'm not sure
INFO-MAC qualifies as "dial-up", but I don't want to take any chances.

        You can recieve the demo disk *FREE* by contacting them, however:

                Design Science
                6475-B East Pacific Coast Highway, Suite 392
                Long Beach, CA 90803  ph. (213) 433 0685

        If anyone knows where to purchase this program from a
MacConnection-type discount house, please reply to me... it looks much
better than what I have seen of Expressionist, but the list price ($149)
is WAY too steep.

Disclaimer:  I'm just a grad student, and have never even BEEN to California.

                                Jeff Templon
                        Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1988 14:05 CDT
From: Frank Wu <IFRA%UMINN1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Bigscreen INIT incompatible with SE

Does anyone know if there is a new version of Big Screen INIT?  The
version (March, 1987) in the Mac archive is incompatible with the SE.
I'm using Finder 6.1/System 6.0 on a 1M SE...It's works fine on a Plus
with 1M, under Finder 6.1/System 6.0.
| Frank Wu                                        *** ***   ***   ***  |
| University of Minnesota                        *    *  * *     *     |
| St. Paul Computing Services                     *  ***  *       *    |
|                                              ***  *      *** ***     |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
|     BITNET: IFRA@UMINN1    |     INTERNET: IFRA@VM1.SPCS.UMN.EDU     |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 88 16:12:00 EDT
From: <brun@nrl-lcp.arpa>
Subject: Cyrillic fonts

Is there a freely available font for the Cyrillic characters (Russian)?
I didn't find one at sumex, and I was wondering if there was one in the
public domain.  Please email replies, to BRUN@NRL-LCP.ARPA.   Thanks!

	-- Todd Brun

End of INFO-MAC Digest