[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #74

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Pugh and Lance Nakata) (08/17/88)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 17 Aug 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 74

Today's Topics:
                         3270 emulation on a Mac
         Release of Brown University's tn3270 for the Macintosh
                       MacTerminal bombing Mac II
                    TEK terminal emulation on the MAC
                               Transputers
                               ZOOM modem
                           Statistics Software
                           RE: Mouse cleaners
                            unix to mac mail
                   Help!  Vendor for MegaBrot program?
                        changing the date format
                  Cross Assemblers and Cross Compilers
                       Foreign Languages for Mac?
                            Microtek Scanner
                               SCSI Cables
                     Slot interrupt service routine

Date: Sun,  7 Aug 88 08:00:53 PDT
From: <GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: 3270 emulation on a Mac

Date: 7 August 88, 01:38:36 CST
From: Robert J. Brenstein       (618) 453-5721 x 227 GA0095   at SIUCVMB
To:   INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU at STANFORD

I have recently seen a question posted about IBM 3270 terminal emulation for
Macintosh.  I believe there is no cheap way to do it.  I checked into that a
few months ago and all products were of the order of 1k green ones.  What we
actually did was to get IBM 3174 controller (model 51R) with the AEA option
(asynch emulation adapter).  I guess IBM must be doing something right this
time -- it works really well.  You have access to either IBM or ASCII host
from any of the terminals attached to it.  Every terminal behaves like 3270
when connected to IBM host and like VT100 terminal when connected to an ASCII
host.  Yes, you can use IBM 3270 terminals to work on non-IBM computer and
vice versa.  Neat.  How does Mac fits there?  You probably guessed by now.
We have an SE running VersaTerm attached to one of AEA ports.  It makes a
very good 3270 terminal with all the features offered by VersaTerm available.
One can use VersaTerm to substitute for IBM's function keys.  We haven't
tried this but it seems that QuicKeys could be used to actually use function
keys on an extended keyboard to simulate IBM's PF keys.  3174 can be connected
to an IBM host in a number of ways including remote hookup.  The only missing
functionality is a direct file transfer -- that is simpler than Kermit or
text capture which we use at a moment.  Since many shops do have 3174's
installed, the AEA option is a worthwhile consideration to utilize Macs as
full-screen terminals with nothing extra needed at the Macintosh end (except
a good VT100 emulation).

Disclaimer:  the above opinions are MINE... and I surely have no association
with IBM except being a satisfied user...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 88 01:01:03 EDT
From: Peter DiCamillo <CMSMAINT%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Release of Brown University's tn3270 for the Macintosh

Please forgive the posting of this announcement to several relevant
distribution lists.

The first release of Brown University's tn3270 for the Macintosh is now
available.  This program consists of the NCSA TCP/IP kernel by Tim
Krauskopf and Gaige B. Paulsen, Telnet 3270 option negotiation code
developed by Greg Minshall at Berkeley, and 3270 emulation and Macintosh
user interface code developed at Brown.  It allows a Macintosh with a
TCP/IP connection to access a host as a full-featured 3270 terminal.
tn3270 is available via Internet anonymous FTP, over BITNET, or from
Brown for a small distribution fee.  Details of tn3270's features and
availability are provided below.

NETWORK FEATURES

tn3270 includes all the features of version 2.0 of the NCSA TCP/IP
kernel.  These include support for both Ethernet connections and
LocalTalk connections via a Kinetics gateway, a built-in FTP server,
and domain nameserver support. Also, tn3270 supports dynamic IP number
assignment when a Kinetics gateway is running KIP code, and allows the
user to override the default Telnet terminal type and port number.

EMULATION FEATURES

On all Macintoshes, tn3270 emulates a 3278 with extended highlighting,
APL, and the APL/Text character set.  In addition, most graphics
capabilities of a 3179 G or PC/GX are emulated.  tn3270 also supports
several 3270 enhancements, including typeahead and special blank
processing.

On a Macintosh II (or other Macintosh with color Quickdraw) tn3270
supports 3279 base color, four color, and eight color text, and eight
color 3179 graphics.  On Macintoshes with large screens, tn3270 supports
either 9 or 12-point text for 24 lines, and 32 lines using 9-point text.

Although primarily a 3270 emulation program, tn3270 also provides basic
line mode Telnet support, and emulates a VT-52 terminal.

MACINTOSH FEATURES

tn3270 allows the 3270 cursor to be moved with a single mouse click, and
allows the user to set the function of a double mouse click.  Full
MultiFinder support is provided, and on color Macintoshes the standard
color picker may be used to set any screen colors.  tn3270 utilizes
offscreen bitmaps for fast, flicker-free screen refreshing.  The speed
of tn3270 can approach that of a locally-connected 3270, with updates
as fast as two screens per second.

SPECIAL FEATURES

In addition to FTP server support, special support is provided for
VM/CMS file transfer.  Easy-to-use CMS RMAC and WMAC commands may be
used to upload and download files during a CMS terminal session
through the Telnet connection.  Data transfer rates can be as high as
10K bytes/second.

Brown also distributes an asynchronous terminal program, Term, which
provides a user interface nearly the same as tn3270's when used with an
IBM 7171.  The combination of Term and tn3270 provides users with a
consistent terminal interface, whether they have a high-speed network
connection or a modem connection.  The same CMS RMAC and WMAC commands
also work with Term.

HOW TO OBTAIN TN3270

Brown encourages tn3270 to be freely distributed, provided the program
is not modified and the copyright notices are retained. tn3270 can be
obtained in any of the following ways:

Anonymous FTP from BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (128.148.128.40):
    The distribution files are in the highest level directory.  Begin
    by retrieving the file $READ-ME.FIRST which describes the other
    files.

Anonymous FTP from NCSA (128.174.20.50):
    The distribution files are the contents of the directory
    NCSA_Telnet/tn3270.

BITNET distribution from LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET:
    Request the distribution files by sending LISTSERV the command
    "get tn3270 package".  This command may be sent as a message
    over BITNET, or as the first line of text in standard RFC 822
    formatted mail. Other packages available are "tn3270xf" for the CMS
    file transfer programs, and "term" for the Term program.  Issue the
    command "get local filelist" for a complete list of available
    files.

Mail order from Brown:
    Starting on September 1, Brown will accept mail orders for copies
    of the tn3270 disk and documentation.  To place an order, send a
    check payable to Brown University for $20 to:
        tn3270 Distribution
        Brown University Computer Store
        P.O. Box 1885
        Providence, RI 02912
    (Orders from Rhode Island must include 6% sales tax.)

KEEPING UP-TO-DATE

The NCSA Telnet Digest will be used for discussing issues related to
tn3270, as well as NCSA Telnet.  To subscribe to the digest, send a
request to telnet-request@ncsa.uiuc.edu.

SOURCE AVAILABILITY

tn3270 source is written for Manx Aztec C, using the MPW-compatible
library and include files.  Brown intends to distribute the source in
the near future.  An announcement of source availability will be made
in the NCSA Telnet Digest mentioned above.

Peter DiCamillo
BITNET:    CMSMAINT@BROWNVM
Internet:  CMSMAINT%BROWNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
U.S. Mail: Computing and Information Services, Brown University,
           P.O. Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Phone:     (401) 863-7582

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Aug 88 04:53:16 edt
From: ulrich@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Nathan Ulrich)
Subject: MacTerminal bombing Mac II

I use MacTerminal 2.2 to login to a host VAX and to transfer files with macput
and macget.  Either after I perform a file transfer or within a few operations
after exiting MacTerminal, my Mac II dies--the pointer disappears, I can get
no response, and I have to manually restart.

I'm using System 4.2, Finder 6.0, sometimes MultiFinder, and also the following
inits:  UploadNIPramFix, WatchINIT5.0, Kolor, ApplicationMenu, Front&Center,
SFScrollInit, Preview, DiskTop.INIT, SaratogaKey, Vaccine, VirusWarningINIT,
Dimmer, QuickerGraf, ChooseCDEV, and MenuTimeINIT.  A friend has a similar
problem; is it a bug in MacTerminal?  Any clues as to how to fix it?

Nathan Ulrich
ulrich@grasp.cis.upenn.edu

[I would first try removing all the INITs and see if the transfers work
okay.  If they still bomb, I would suggest finding a copy of MacTerminal
2.3 and see if any bug fixes help.  Have your system files been corrupted
in any way?  You might try replacing them if you're suspicious.  - Lance]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Aug 88 12:17:48-PDT
From: Kent Peterson <KENT@RML2.SRI.COM>
Subject: TEK terminal emulation on the MAC

Does anybody know if there are "fancy" TEKTRONIX terminal emulators available
for the MAC.  I am currently using Versaterm-Pro on a MAC-II, but it only
emulates a TEK-4105.  I am looking for a TEK-4115, 4125, or 42xx emulator.
Please reply to KENT@RML2.SRI.COM.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 88 08:58:40 SST
From: "Tai Hou, TNG" <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Transputers

Hello folks, my name is Tai-Hou TNG from Singapore. My company (Institute
of Systems Science) has ordered a transputer card (4 chips) from LEVCO since
many moons ago (more like 3 months). But NO NEWS. Is this how typical US
Companies treat the international market ? Or is this an isolated case.
I for one, has read enough about LEVCO and SUPERMAC to know of their great
products. Can anyone offer info ? Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 88 09:03:41 SST
From: "Tai Hou, TNG" <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>

A recent trade-expo - APPLEWORLD - was recently held in Singapore.
The response was fantastic, and unfortunately, so were the prices.
But never mind that for the moment. There were many booths showing
DTP, DP, Hypercard, etc. Farallon was there with their Sound-Recorder,
Ashon-Tate was there in full force, even giving seminars, though no free
Fullwrite Pro (sigh). But most of the people in the sales force was
disappointing. They were mostly technically incompetent. There was
this guy showing off AUX and didn't know much of it. I was hoping to
see Intermedia running, with X-windows and all. But all that was shown was
4 TERMS running together with a primitive ASCII maze game running on each
of them. I am sorry to say that the only booth that impresses a lot of people
was the one showing Interleaf. The lady doing the demo was competent enough
to answer many technical questions. Apple and third-party need to brush up
their act in such shows overseas if they want to sell internationally, and to
companies who will not be hyped !!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 88 12:13:38 PDT
From: calius@composite.stanford.edu (Emilio Calius)
Subject: ZOOM modem

        A company called ZOOM Telephonics, located in Boston, is offering the
MX 2400, a 2400 baud external modem for the Mac, for $169. It's supposed to be
Hayes-compatible and comes with a 2 year warranty.
        Has anybody heard of Zoom Telephonics ? Even better, is someone out
there using one of their modems, and if so, does it work as well as most 2400
baud modems on imperfect lines?
        Thanks for any information. The price is right, but I'd like to know a
something about the manufacturer.

Emilio P. Calius
Structures & Composites Lab
Aeronautics & Astronautics

------------------------------

From: QP2%CORNELLA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Date: 07 August 88 22:49 EDT
Subject: Statistics Software

My questions  are  these:  Does  anybody  have  a  list  of  available
math/stats packages with a good description of capabilities/value  for
the  MAC?   Does  anyone  have  experience  with  Kinko's   Courseware
offerings (are they good/bad?) ?

I can offer a totally biased overview of stats software on the Mac.
>> Disclaimer: I am the author of of the the packages mentioned (Data Desk)
so I am not an unbiased commentator <<<
The main statistics packages on the Mac are Data Desk Professional (from Odesta
Corp.), StatView II (Abacus Concepts), and Systat (Systat, Inc). Of these 3
only Systat runs elsewhere (translation: it was ported from the PC).
Data Desk is (in my humble opinion) the most Macish of the lot, using a
desktop interface, multiple windows, and offering dynamic graphics along
with its statistics. StatView II uses a spreadsheet format and offers some
pretty presentation-style displays along with a standard array of statistics
capabilities. Systat offers more statistics capabilities than the others, but
has a decidedly un-macish feeling to it.
 All three offer a respectable range of statistics and graphics capabilities,
and in StatView (for presentation graphs) and Data Desk (for data analysis
graphs like rotating plots and linked displays) you can find capabilities that
are just not available on the PC or any mainframe.
 Data Desk is also available through Kinko's in a Student version. That
version has the same desktop interface, but is limited in size and capabilities
to match the needs of the typical introductory stats course.
 -- Paul Velleman
QP2 @ Cornella

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 88 12:24 EDT
From: <CHRIS%FANDM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: RE: Mouse cleaners

I have been using the mousecleaner 360 since before it was known by that name
(I don't recall the original name, but I first tried it when it was being
manufactured in someone's garage near here), and have been very happy with its
performance.  Our college, Franklin & Marshall, is an AUC (Apple University
Consortium) campus, and the mac is very heavily used by students, faculty and
administration alike.  Since I am the computer electronics tech in charge of
preventive maintenance on these macs, I have had the dubious honor of cleaning
the crud out of more mice than I'd like to remember, and after almost two years
on the job I am only on my second mousecleaner 360.  The unit is basically a
plastic pad with a circular patch of velcro glued to it, a ball that replaces
the regular ball with one covered in velcro, and a bottle of cleaning fluid
which is mostly alcohol.  You squirt some cleaning fluid on the velcro mouse
ball, put it in the mouse in place of the regular ball, turn the mouse over
and run it in a circular motion on top of the velcro pad.  The velcro mouseball
does a pretty good job of scraping the gunk off of the rollers inside the mouse
quickly and easily ( I once cleaned 35 mice in one of our student user rooms in
under 45 minutes).  The only part of the mousecleaner that wears out is the
fuzzy velcro pad.  After about 50 uses it begins to shed fibers.  This doesn't
cause any problems with the mice you might subsequently clean using it, but the
hooks in the velcro mouseball don't get as good a purchase on the fuzzy pad and
the efficiency of the unit begins to drop.  I would guesstimate that my first
mousecleaner lasted somewhere between 200-300 mousecleanings before I finally
retired it to the great mousehole in the sky and got a new one.  Well worth the
fifteen bucks it cost me.

<My opinions are my own, and I received no compensation from any source of any
kind for expressing them!  Ah's jest a satisfied customer, tha'ss all...>

Drive Cheerfully!!!

Chris Iverson - F&M Tech Support

Bitnet Address: CHRIS@FANDM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1988 11:49 EDT
From: Michael Feldman <MFELDMAN%GWUVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: unix to mac mail

It seems to me I saw a posting back in May or June that mentioned a
project at Stanford which would connect InBox to Unix (or was it VMS?)
mail, given that your LocalTalk was connected to Ethernet via a Kinetics
FastPath. I lost the file and apparently had no hard copy thereof. Can anyone
out there recall it? Please reply directly to me as well as to the net -
I receive digests only at random intervals.

We have just the situation I described: LocalTalk -> Kinetics ->
Ethernet -> Sun and Vax/VMS. We would definitely be interested in the
mail project.

Michael B. Feldman, Professor              residence address for USNail:
Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci       Michael B. Feldman
The George Washington University           6218 Wagner Lane
Washington, DC  20052  U.S.A.              Bethesda, MD  20816  U.S.A.
202-994-7593
MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET
facfeld@gwusun.gwu.edu
Acknowledge-To: Michael Feldman <MFELDMAN@GWUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 88 17:01 EDT
From: <TMA1%UMBSKY.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (the lovers, the
From: dreamers, and me...)
Subject: Help!  Vendor for MegaBrot program?

Hi,

   I believe there is a program for the Mac called "MegaBrot".  If you are
aware of name/address/phone of the vendor of this program, would you be so
kind as to send it to me.

                                          Many Thanks...
                                              Tony
[Moderator's Note:

I got a very nice MegaBrot poster from the show.  It credits MegaGraphics and
gives no other info besides the caption, "These images were created using the
MegaBrot Engine designed by MegaGraphics, Inc. for the Macintosh II Computer.
This special purpose device is optimized for performing the iterative test
necessary to determine if a given point on the complex plane is a member of
the Mandelbrot Set. State-of-the-art microchip technology allows the MegaBrot
to perform 5 million iterations per second, dozens of times faster than a
comperable software algorithm."  Make what you will of that, the lady I spoke
to had no clue...

Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 11 Aug 88 13:47:22-PDT
From: Martin Yonke <YONKE@INTELLICORP.COM>
Subject: changing the date format

I have just recently become a Mac user and a reader of this bboard so
please formgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have been using Microsoft Word.  It has a way to have the current
date inserted in the document.  However it only prints as mm/dd/yy.
The manual implies that it relies on Mac OS to generate this string.

Questions:  Is it the Mac OS that formats the date string?  How do I
go about changing the format (without being a Mac programmer)
-- hopefully with several options (e.g., "dd-mmm-yy", "dd month year",
"month day, year").  Surely, there must be a DA or something to
change it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Martin
Yonke@IntelliCorp.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 2:27:28 GMT
From: ASBPF-ED@USFK-EMH.ARPA
Subject: Cross Assemblers and Cross Compilers

Are there any freeware or shareware cross assemblers and/or compilers available
for the MAC?  It's not that I'm cheap, I'm still paying for my SE. Thanks :-)
Please reply directly to:  ASBPF-ED@Walker-EMH.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 10:21:56 EDT
From: Mary Akers <makers@wash.bbn.com>
Subject: Foreign Languages for Mac?

Does anyone know of software (or hardware) that will allow you to
type in a foreign language?  That is, with umlauts over u's,
accents over e's, etc.  I'd like an "all in one key" but will
take backing up and "over striking" if that is all I can get.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Mary Akers

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 08:38 CST
From: <CCLARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (The Ayatollah
From: Computer - Cole Clark)
Subject: Microtek Scanner

Does anyone know if it is possible to import images scanned with a Microtek
Scanner using VersaScan software into Aldus Freehand?  The Scanner's manual
says little if anything about image exportation, and Freehand's manual says
the image must be saved as a EPS file.  VersaScan supports EPS, but when
opening the image under Freehand, only a shaded box with some text inside
the box appears.

Freehands manual says this is due to the fact that the scanner's software
does not bundle something called a "preview image" with EPS file.

My question is: is there a way to command VersaScan to create a preview
image?  Without it, there can be no touch-up editing with Freehand once you
import the image.

I would call Microtek, but will reserve that course of action as a last
resort.

Many thanks,

Frank C. Clark, Jr.
University of Tennessee, Memphis
CCLARK@UTMEM1 (Bitnet)
FCCLARKJR (GEnie)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Aug 1988 23:09 CDT
From: Samir Kaleem <XSAK%ECNCDC.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: SCSI Cables

Okay Mac folks...Can someone help me out with the pin-outs of SCSI cables?

Rather than pay an arm and a leg for a simple cable, I have decided to make
them myself. My XP60 is sitting on the right edge of my desk, and I'm afraid
of accidently toppling it over. So, among other kind of cables, I want to make
an extension cable.

I know, I know, you are saying..."For an extension cable, simply connect
each wire to the exact opposite on the other end". Yes, but here I have another
question. What is the max length that the SCSI cable can be?

Now, the crucial info that I need...

1. What is the pin out of the 50 pin SCSI connector?
2. What is the pin out of the 25 pin SCSI connector (at the back of the Mac+)
3. If I want to connect another SCSI device, what would the pin connections be
   from

Thanx in advance...

                                         - Samir Kaleem
                                          xsak@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Aug 88 13:51:33
From: Hirohide Mikami <MIKAMI@ntt-20.ntt.jp>
Subject: Slot interrupt service routine

We are making a CPU card which is plugged in the NuBus
slot of Macintosh II for our study.  When the card needs
the 68020 attention, it asserts the /NMRQ of NuBus (pin 31
in Row A).  We designed to put the slot interrupt service
routine in the disk, as there is not enough space for the
declaration ROM on the card.  Now the card works well, but
the service routine has not developed yet.

We wish to use the board as soon as possible.  Help us
please.  Though I wrote a simple monitor program to test
the card, I'm a novice of Mac II software.

I think I can use SIntInstall (Inside Mac V-427) to
install the service routine.  Do any routines need to be
executed before SIntInstall?  The result code of the routine
is -2.  It is "invalid queue element".  What does it mean?

The first argument of SIntInstall is sIntQElmPtr, and
SQType field of SlotIntQElement should be set to SIQType
(Inside Mac V-427).  SIQType is undefined in MPW Pascal.
Why?  I declared it as followings.  Is it correct?
    const SIQType = 6;

I cannot understand the relation between SIntInstall and
OpenSlot (Inside Mac V-427).

Any suggestions, examples and help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

                    Hirohide MIKAMI
                    mikami%ntt-20.ntt.jp@RELAY.CS.NET

End of INFO-MAC Digest