[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #76

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Pugh and Lance Nakata) (08/21/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 21 Aug 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 76

Today's Topics:
     bug in MPW 2.0.2 release? linker error on sample program build?
          Problems with Turbo Pascal during compilation to disk
                  Opening StuffIt files from the Finder
                     Recent version of macget/macput
                              Need Help...
                    Drawing lines in TE ala HyperCard
                             SCSI cables...
              Re:  Accessing Mac laserprep/postscript files
                           DEC Printer help...
                        MultiFinder and Hypercard
                          Suggested Mac feature
                        DISKUS Electronic Trading
                   Interface cards for Pluses and SEs?
                     old Mac connectors & AppleTalk
                     Please post to info mac bboard
                           Terminal Emulation

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 88 18:30 EDT
From: "RCSDY::YOUNG"@gmr.com
Subject: bug in MPW 2.0.2 release? linker error on sample program
Subject: build?

Hello all you mac netters --

MacWorld in Boston was great and a great dinner at the Shanghai house!
Thanks to all of the Info-Mac dinner arrangers in Boston. I will soon send
out a summary of some interesting items I found at the Convention.

BUG?  A question that at the moment has at least six developers (including
several at Apple that I asked at MacWorld) stumped -- maybe one of you
netters stumbled across it too!

I recently received MPW 2.0.2 and Pascal 2 (finally). Unfortunately, when I
attempt to build the sample program (or testperf) using the supplied make
file, the linker hangs!  After command-period I get resource error -45, as
follows:
# 5:51:44 PM ----- Build of sample.
# 5:51:44 PM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 5:51:47 PM ----- Executing build commands.
    Rez Sample.r -o Sample -append
    SetFile -a B Sample -c PSMP -t APPL
    Link Sample.p.o "dick:MPW:Libraries:"Interface.o
    "dick:MPW:Libraries:"Runtime.o "dick:MPW:PLibraries:"Paslib.o -o Sample

(MPW hangs here, and after hitting command-period I get: )

### Link: Error  Resource I/O error, # -45 while adding resource.

### Link: Errors prevented normal completion.

There is no indication in the MPW manual or Pascal manual of this or any
other linker errors, at least that I can find, so I am stuck at the moment,
and can't get even to first base.

Configuration: Mac II, 4 megabytes, running under Finder (not MultiFinder).
Same problem occurs under System 4.2 and System 6.0. Any suggestions? I
never had this particular problem with MPW 1.0.

YOUNG@GMR.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 88 15:10:14 SET
From: EDB87003%NOBIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Problems with Turbo Pascal during compilation to disk
Date: 19 August 1988, 15:09:03 SET
From: Georg Moe                 47-2-123050          EDB87003 at
From: NOBIVM

Hello again

The other day I sent a note regarding my problems with Turbo Pascal, now
I have looked more at the problem.  Here is a more correct description
of the problem:

My problem is, as written earlier, that when I RUN the program from
within the TURBO PASCAL editor everything works fine (the program
size is 145kb). In my previous note I assumed that the problem occured
during the initialization,before reading the resources (after a
compilation to disk (and then launcing the APPL from FINDER)). This is
not the case.
The problem is more subtle than that, because it happens during
a loop like this:

   For counter:=1 to 7 do
   Begin
      GotoXY(50,counter);WriteLn('      some spaces     ');
      GotoXY(50,counter);WriteLn(A_Real_Type_Variable#counter$:9:0);
   end;

If I RUN the program, everything is OK.
If I COMPILE it TO DISK, and run it using FILE TRANSFER, then it is still
OK.
Then, if I launch the application from FINDER, it takes about 5 minutes
to perform this loop.  That's not all, it wipes out the screen as well,
almost like an endless loop using WRITELN('              '); after
which the program behaves well again.   The next time the program is
doing the same loop, everything works fine.

I have not changed this part of the program for a long time, but the
program behaved well only 2 weeks ago which was the last time I
compiled to disk.
If someone could give me a hint of what is going on here, I would
be more than happy|||

                               Georg Moe
    ____                       DP Department
   / __  __  _________         Norwegian School of Management
  (___/ (___(__) / (__)        PO. Box 69, N-1341 Bekkestua
 ____________________/         Tlf +47 2 12 30 50 ext. 232

------------------------------

Date: 	  Fri, 19 Aug 88 11:45:18 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Opening StuffIt files from the Finder

For those of you who are upset that StuffIt 1.40B cannot have documents
opened from the Finder, simply add two resources to StuffIt and it can!

mstr 102 (same as a STR ) "File"
mstr 103 (same as a STR ) "Open Archive..." (That's Option; not ...)

Now don't you feel better?

For you language buffs, add mst# resources of the same name for a list of
things to look for.  These are formatted like STR# resources if you couldn't
guess.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 88 14:33:51 PDT
From: frailong.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Recent version of macget/macput

Where can I find the most recent versions of macget/macput/xbin and related
software to support Mac-Unix communication using the XMODEM protocol from the
Unix side ? The versions that are in the INFO-MAC directory at
SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu (<INFO-MAC>MACGET.C & MACPUT.C) seem to be fairly out of
date (I could not get them to work with RedRyder 10.3).
I plan to install them on our Arpanet FTP server at PARC (a Sun currently
running Sun OS 3.5, which is Berkeley 4.2 compatible).
Please reply directly (to Frailong.pa@Xerox.COM), as I would like to see that
done ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Mark Frailong

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 13:59:07 EDT
From: Lap@UDEL.EDU
Subject: Need Help...

I would greatly appreciate help with the following problem:

I have been successfully using the public domain programs
'macget' and 'macput' to accomplish SUN to Macintosh file
transfers under the XMODEM protocol.  VersaTerm PRO is used
on the Macintosh end to handle data.  Upon our recent switch
to SUNs operating system version 4.0 'macput' started failing.

About 1K bytes of data are transferred, and then the process hangs.
The technical support at VersaTerm suggested that the SUN was
(undesireably) recognizing real data as the XOFF character, ^S.
Has anyone else experienced this problem.  Any help would be
welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

					Larry Pearlstein
					University of Delaware

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 88 17:39 U
From: <JINTEIK%ITIVAX.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Drawing lines in TE ala HyperCard

         Hi folks,

         Does anybody know how to draw ruled lines in TextEdit, a la
         Hypercard? The requirement is simple: basically we need to
         get TE to put thin gray lines in the TERecord's destRect -
         that's all. Is there some way to do this without hacking
         into the guts of TE?

         The obvious kludgey way to do it would be to draw those
         lines ourselves, after every call to TE that might alter the
         display - BUT, there is one problem with TEKey, everytime a
         character is drawn it seems to do an erase to the right edge
         of the destRect. (Or is this a problem with DrawChar?). This
         results in a slight flicker, because the ruled lines are
         wiped out and redrawn.

         The best way to do lines would be to rewrite TextEdit, but
         none of us are exactly feeling up to it at the moment...

         Someone told me once that it is possible to customise TE by
         patching into TEDoText - but I've never done it myself.

         Helpful replies will be appreciated! Really useful advice
         will be worth a free lunch. A solution that even works might
         earn you a free mention in our About Box...

         I've tried setting the Text transfer modes to scrOr and patOr
         but they work only for the text being drawn. TEKey still
         erases to the right edge of the destination rectangle.

         Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

         Jek K J (KIANJIN@ITIVAX.BITNET)
         J T Teh (JINTEIK@ITIVAX.BITNET)

         "Opinions? Our Organisation will be glad if any of its
         employees even show an inclination to THINK..."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 13:35:03 CDT
From: Scott Comer <wert@rosetta.com>
Subject: SCSI cables...

FYI:

The 50 pin centronics connector on the back of your XP60, like all the C50
connectors that apple uses, is numbered differently than normal:

Normal is like this (as labelled on the connector):

1  26
2  27
3  28
.  .
.  .
.  .

Apple labels it like this:

1  2
3  4
5  6
.  .
.  .
.  .

That is, pin 1 is the same as the label on the connector, but not the
others.

The 25 pin connector on the back of your mac is just the 25 SCSI signal
pins, without the grounds. In normal 50 pin SCSI cables, all the odd pins
are grounds, and the even pins are signal. If you make a long SCSI cable,
6 meters is the max length, without the grounds or shielding, you might
have RFI problems. I have made such extension cables, without problems,
but they were only about a meter in length. Here is what I did:

I got two DB 25 insulation displacement connectors, one of each sex, the
kind used to connect to ribbon cable, and some 25 conductor ribbon cable.
Put the connectors on, one on each end, with a vice. Make sure pin 1 is
connected to pin 1. Do not connect pin 25. Voila, SCSI extension cable.

To make a DB25 to C50 cable:

Same thing as above, but pay attention to sex, and replace one of the
DB25s with a C50. Put the DB25 on the ribbon cable. You have to assemble
the other end by hand, but you can use either insulation displacement C50
or (preferred) a solder tail C50. Remember to number the C50 correctly.
Also, because of the way that insulation displacement connectors work, the
25 conductor cable is numbered strangely from pin 1. The numbering goes 1
14 2 15 ... as you go across the cable from pin 1. The sequence below is
the cable sequence, starting at pin 1.

DB25	C50	signal name
1	48	REQ
14	34	Ground
2	42	MSG
15	46	C/D
3	50	I/O
16	30	Ground
4	40	RST
17	32	ATN
5	38	ACK
18	28	Ground
6	36	BSY
19	44	SEL
7	24	Ground
20	18	DBP
8	2	DB0
21	4	DB1
9	22	Ground
22	6	DB2
10	8	DB3
23	10	DB4
11	12	DB5
24	20	Ground
12	14	DB6
25	nc	Terminator power
13	16	DB7

Hope that helps,
scott comer

------------------------------

From: mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw)
Subject: Re:  Accessing Mac laserprep/postscript files
Date: 17 Aug 88 17:39:27 GMT

> I have a new Mac SE and I want to use a PostScript laser printer
> (QMS-800PS) located elsewhere and hooked onto a non-Apple
> workstation (Apollo) to print my Mac stuff. I know that
> I can get a PostScript file dumped to disk on the Mac by hitting
> Command-F after asking for a print; I can transfer this file by
> modem to the Apollo, but it won't print out. Reason is, the
> PS file assumes a prolog or header file (presumably Laserprep) has
> been sent ot the laser printer, defining a whole bunch of things.
> Any idea how I can generate or get hold of the relevant laserprep/
> header/prolog PS file?

Over a year ago, a package called "paintps" was posted to
comp.sources.mac.  Its main contents were designed to print Macpaint
files to Unix Postscript printers, but it happens to include several
versions of LaserWriter laserprep files and scripts/lpd filters that
can be used to print most Postscript files generated from a Mac with
CMD-F.  The laserprep files in the paintps package are modified from
the normal Mac versions so that they don't try to install themselves
permanently on the printer (unfriendly in a multiuser non-Mac
environment).

If paintps isn't on any of the usual archive sites, I have the shar
files (about 3000 lines in 120 Mbytes), and can e-mail them.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Aug 88 07:00:23-PDT
From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@STAR3.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: DEC Printer help...

From the "Help Macs in West Germany Dept." comes the following plea:

A friend of mine has a Plus connected to a DEC LNO3R Scriptprinter which was
just upgraded with Postscript (but doesn't have Appletalk).  The problem is
that in this 99.99% IBM infested country he's having a lot of trouble getting
help to make this work.  So I thought I would appeal to a broader audience to
see if anyone might have some help for him.

The problem is simply this: he can't get the printer to print anything or
acknowledge commands.  If anyone has ANY idea how to configure this printer
so that he can print, I would appreciate it if you could respond to me and
I'll pass along the information.  (We have heard that the LS Laserdriver from
APDA might work, but cant get that confirmed - if anyone has information
on this, it would be very welcomed.)

Please respond to: elliot@star.stanford.edu

Thanx in advance,
Elliot

------------------------------

Date: 	  Fri, 19 Aug 88 08:56:07 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: MultiFinder and Hypercard

A couple of items about the interaction of MultiFinder and Hypercard:

MultiFinder starts up my computer with four applications and ALWAYS leaves
Hypercard as the active application.  Is this intentional?  I suspect that it
is.  I have reset the Set Startup option a number of times just to see if it
makes a difference.  The programs don't seem to always start up in the same
order, but Hypercard always ends up in the front layer even if it loads
before some others.

Next, how does MultiFinder hook into the SFGetFile call to open documents
from the Finder?  The reason I need this info is that I want to feed MacPaint
files to Hypercard's Import Paint dialog so that I don't have to pick the
names of all the files I want to import.  My only option besides this is an
XCMD that reads a MacPaint file into the clipboard.  I have looked at Andy's
Import PICT XCMD, but it requires everything to be in a scrapbook file and I
have a series of MacPaint or MacDraw PICT files.  So, how does MF feed the
file name to a program?  I want to do that!

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 17 Aug 1988 14:41-EDT
Sender: PHORWITZ@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Suggested Mac feature
From: PHORWITZ@G.BBN.COM

As we all know, when you try to copy a file (e.g. from one disk to
another) the system checks to see whether you are replacing a file by
the same name and alerts you to make sure you really want to delete the
version of the file that is about to be copied over.  Question: how hard
would it be, in these circumstances, for the system to check the "last
modified" dates of the two files and give the user a special alert when
the file being written over is more recent than the one with which it is
to be replaced?  Would anyone out there be interested in adding this
feature some time?  Maybe it could be an INIT.  (Maybe it already is!)

Paul Horwitz

BBN Systems and Technology, Inc. (They've changed the name on us again!)
Cambridge, Mass.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 11:51:14 +0200
From: Jay Rolls <jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa>
Subject: DISKUS Electronic Trading

Does anyone have any info on the following?:

DISKUS Electronic Trading - "Presentation Planner"
Ingram Software Centram Distrib. Westinghouse Disk Catalog

A point of contact?  A distribution channel?  A mail order house that sells
this?  Any info appreciated......

Jay Rolls
<jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 88 10:38 MET
From: Thomas Fruin <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Interface cards for Pluses and SEs?

     At the Department of Chemistry of the Vrije Universiteit  of
     Amsterdam they would like to know what  kind  of  cards  and
     auxiliary hardware exist to  interface  Macintosh  Plus  and
     Macintosh SE computers to laboratory  equipment.  Note:  NOT
     the Macintosh II.

     Could those of you who have something to say  on  this  send
     me mail or reply via this forum? Just a quick note  will  do
     fine, you don't have to write a magazine quality review  for
     me... I will also post a summary afterwards.

     Thanks!

     -- Thomas Fruin

        fruin@hlerul5.BITNET           University of Leiden
        thomas@uvabick.UUCP            University of Amsterdam
        hol0066.AppleLink
        2:512/114.FidoNet              MacSaga MotherBoard
                                       The Netherlands

------------------------------

From: rupp@cod.nosc.mil (William L. rupp)
Subject: old Mac connectors & AppleTalk
Date: 18 Aug 88 20:27:49 GMT

I have a vintage Mac, from about April 1984.  In the meantime it has
been upgraded to 128K ROMs, 2 Mb RAM, a hard disk, external 800K drive,
but...

The "but" is that I got a hybrid upgrade (DigiGraphics board, etc.) that
left me with the original Mac connectors.  I have been aspiring to a
PostScript printer, but have suddenly started to worry about whether
my antiquated connectors will make it difficult for me to use AppleTalk.

How about it?  Are there adapters that can be used to hook my elderly
Mac to AppleTalk and a PostScript printer?

Thanks,

Bill
rupp@nosc.mil

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 88 20:47:00 EDT
From: "LUIGART, LCDR CRAIG/A2223354" <luigart@optimis-pent.arpa>
Subject: Please post to info mac bboard

Request for HELP!
I'm interested in the requirements for setting up a MAC II
as a host on the DDN here at the Naval Air Systems Command.
I am establishing a LAN built around a MAC II and several
MAC+'s, along with these several Z-248's will be integrated all
on TOP's.  This group will be a sub net of a larger LAN built
on a 3COM server.  Total number of machines in the large net
will be about 30 (includes the 10 unit TOPs net).

Bottom Line: I desire to implement a host status to the LAN and run
it on a MAC II (for control reasons).  Any ideas out there of the
required boards, software, interfaces, etc.  ...  I'd like to run
the whole gauntlet of support if it's possible.  FTP, TELNET,
Kermit, Mail, am I asking for the moon?  If so what am I
limited to?

Replies please to  -  Luigart@Optimis-Pent.Arpa.  Just a simple MISer
trying to bring todays Navy to today!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 88 14:28:24 MDT
From: John Shaver Modernization Office <steep-mo-m@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: Terminal Emulation

Our commanding officer has newly arrived with a Macintosh Computer.  Is there
a public domain terminal package that we can get off the network to get hinm
started talking to a mainframe?  Please reply to me as I am not on the mailing
list.
Thanks

John

End of INFO-MAC Digest