[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V6 #84

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Pugh and Lance Nakata) (09/08/88)

INFO-MAC Digest          Thursday, 8 Sep 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 84

Today's Topics:
                       MAC II vs IBM PS/2 Model 70
                         MacII fan replacement ?
                       Mac SE Cables - Pin layout
                                LisaMac?
                               Grappler LQ
                               MS FORTRAN
                           Chemistry stackware
                            Date & Time INIT
                 Suitcae, the Option key, and Finder 6.1
                    Multi dimensional Spreadsheet...
                                MAC-TERM
                           SendPS 1.21 vs LWNT
                           DA-DICTIONARY-MAKER
                             SUM-FIXES.HQX.1
                         MacBinary files on UNIX
                   Help with RS-232 Serial Connection
                program for tutoring intermediate algebra
         InvisiHDMainBo3b:  Virus or just a crashed application?
                           Genealogical trees
                        Font Editor info request
                    StuffIt 1.5, docs, UnStuffIt 1.5
                     StuffIt Utilities 1.5 (2 parts)
                        Remember? 1.22 (2 parts)
                Tarski's World and Turing's World stacks

Date: Thu,  1 Sep 88 23:08:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Leonard John Schultz <ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: MAC II vs IBM PS/2 Model 70

  I am considering purchasing either an IBM model 70 or an Apple Mac II.  I
would appreciate anyone`s opinions or advise on the subject.  I consider the
two just about equal in graphics, memory, storage,  speed, and cost at the CMU
computer store.  I believe the 70 has more potential for the future considering
the raw power and multitasking abilities of OS/2.  I also may run CADD systems.
What do you think?

                                                                           Len
Schultz

lsli@andrew.cmu.edu

[Anyone who has to ask this question hasn't used a Macintosh - Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 88 16:28:09 CET
From: Guido Dilles <KAMBVL%BLEKUL13.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: MacII fan replacement ?

I bought a Tandy/Radio Shack fan to replace the annoyingly loud
fan in our MacII (80Mb intern.) and found someone to do it for me.
But he needs more info before getting started.
I have archived a few messages (from UseNet mostly, I recall)
with instructions, but these often refer to more detailed instructions
posted earlier (somewhere in May/June).  I don't have those.

If someone could *e-mail* me copies of anything relating to this
fan-business, I would be most grateful.

B.T.W., has anyone else done this ?  Experiences, caveat's,
warranty problems ?

E-mail preferred : KAMBVL@BLEKUL13.BITNET
              or : KAMBVL%BLEKUL13.BITNET@<your favorite gateway>

Guido Dilles - Univ. Psychiatrisch Centrum St.-Kamillus
               Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Belgium
          <* no snappy quote tonight, I've got a head-ache *>
Acknowledge-To: <KAMBVL@BLEKUL13>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 00:15:23 IST
From: "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100%BGUVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Mac SE Cables - Pin layout

Hi fellow Macusers!

   I am sure I am not the only one who upgraded from a Fat Mac to an SE.
If you did the same, you must have noticed the different plugs used
for the printer and modem ports on the back of the SE (they don't seem
to fit anymore, now do they!?).  Well, it seems apple decided to
switch to 8 pin Miniplugs instead of the DB9 connectors.

   Getting to the point, I have purchased the 8 pin miniplugs from
an electornics store and would like to replace the DB9 connectors on
the cables I have.  Each plus costs under one dollar compared to
buying a new cable which goes for $20 and up...

   Would you happen to have the wire-up diagrams for the printer and
modem cables (having 8 pin miniplus on both ends, of course)?
   I guess that a few wires must be crossed, such as TX and RX etc..

   *** the ready made cables are OVERPRICED - Check if this option suits you!

                                  Thanks for any help,
                                                       JB

P.S. Please send replies directly to me and I will summerize...
  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      | \|/\   /\/) /|-\   Snail: 55 Hovevei Zion
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ | |_/        Tel-Aviv, 63346  ISRAEL
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen             Voice: (03) 281-422

 Point of view:  A chicken is the means by which an egg reproduces an egg.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 15:55 N
From: <RCST9%HEITHE5.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: LisaMac?

 Hello,

 After half rewiring the thing, I created a Lisa from two defective Lisa's.
Now I have a Lisa with an internal Widget drive, and 1 Meg of memory. On
the HD is the Lisa system software with a couple of programs.
 No, this is not the problem. The problem is:

 I would like to have the Lisa and the Mac connected by AppleTalk. Do I have
to make a Mac XL from the Lisa first, or is there a network program for the
Lisa? Is it useful to keep the Lisa being a Lisa, or is making a Mac XL
from it more useful? I would like to be able to use the HD in the Lisa from
my Mac.

 If you have any advice, please send them to me (RCST9@HEITHE5.bitnet).

---------------------------

 Something else. I would like to be able to access the Info Mac archives
but infomac@pucc tells me to try infomac@irlearn. The latter however is
months behind on the info-mac digests..

---------------------------

 Yet another thing, I would like to have an aquarium in the background of
my Mac plus. :) Anyone? :)

 Ernst.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 88 08:14:44 EDT
From: Kathy S Brown <KATHY%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Grappler LQ

After purchasing the Grappler LQ at the Boston MacWorld expo, we couldn't
get text to print on an HP LaserJet series II...we were using the newest
Apple ImageWriter LQ driver.  After confirming this with Orange Micro's
tech support, installing the original 1.0 IWLQ driver solved the problem.

Request 1 - tech support said they do NOT notify registered users when the
pending upgrade is available.  I have to call back.  They said the update
should be available "in a couple weeks" - meaning mid-Sept.  If anyone else
needs the upgrade I suggest you call tech support.  If anyone receives it
(including me) lets post that its available here...I hate dealing with long
distance phone calls from the east coast to the west!...

We're still having some strange occurences printing from Word 3.02, which I
suspect are due to IWLQ driver v1.0.  Sometimes the first requested page
doesn't print, and sometimes there is funny characters in the upper left
corner on the first printed page, along with everything else perfectly (1st
page included).

Request 2 - Does anyone have experience working with the HP LJ series II with
Grappler LQ?  Our HP has 512K of memory and we get some out of memory messages
printing some MacDraw documents - one page of a full flowchart (but not that
complicated...).  Hoping to upgrade the HP's memory to at least a meg.  Think
or know if this will help?

System config.: System V5.0 on an SE w/20mb internal.
By the way - the SWA fonts supplied by Orange Micro LOOK GREAT.  Lots better
than just the Courier that prints for the IBM folks! :)
Thanks for any info.
Kathy Brown, User Services, Brown University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 88 20:54:56 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM>
Subject: MS FORTRAN

I an using MS Fortran to develop factorial analysis packages as well as
classification methods. SO far all computations were in MS Fortran while the
Mac interface was creates with ZBasic as a main program.
I WANT TO REWRITE ALL THESE ROUTINES USING ONLY CALL TO THE TOOLBOX WITH THE
MS FORTRAN COMPILER.
Using the available documentation I was able to program the toolbox routines I
needed (event manager, menus...).
MY PROBLEM IS THE FOLLOWING: HOW DO I IMPLEMENT THE FOLLOWINGS WITH MS FORTRAN
SFPUTFILE (open new files files) SFGETFILE (Open old files). All help will be
welcome... please reply directly on BITNET to:
Jean Brunet, Univ. Of Quebec, Montreal, R31631@UQAM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 09:44:35 +0300
From: Doron Eren <COEREN@WEIZMANN>
Subject: Chemistry stackware

Hi
we have reacently purchased a Mac II for the Organic Chemistry department
and would like to use it (among other things) to help people organize their
bibliography. The cards should have graphic and text data with the ability
to do keyword search etc... Is there anyone out there in Netland anyone who
knows about or has such (or similar) stackware?
                                                 Thanks.........Doron
Acknowledge-To: <COEREN@WEIZMANN>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 09:10:36 CDT
From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: Date & Time INIT

Does anyone know of an INIT that asks for date & time if they have not
been set?  My Lisa 2/10 has no batteries, and forgets the date and time
every time it is unplugged to cure a system hang or loses power.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 11:33:41 PDT
From: msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Mike Simpson)
Subject: Suitcae, the Option key, and Finder 6.1

Configuration:  Mac Plus with accelerator card
		Suitcase 1.2.1
		Finder 6.1
		System 4.2
		60 Meg external hard disk.

I have 38 desk accessories between my System file and various DA files
in my System Folder.  If I pull down the Apple menu, I can see a
scrollable listing of all 38 (Suitcase is NOT included in this count).
However, if I then select one of these DAs, it opens in the DA Handler
shell, rather than in the current application's environment.  If I hold
down the Option key before pulling down the Apple menu, I only see the
last 30 (alphabetically-sorted) DAs in the menu, but if I select
Suitcase, I get the scroll box of all 38.  (If I continue to hold down
the Option key while selecting the DA from the Suitcase scrolling list,
it opens in the application's environment.)  Is this a 'feature' of the
newest Finder or Suitcase?

Mike Simpson
msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
{smart-host}!teknowledge-vaxc.arpa!msimpson

[Modeator's Note:

This is a feature of MultiFinder.  It's been there since the beginning.

Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 31 Aug 1988 03:31 CDT
From: Samir Kaleem <XSAK%ECNCDC.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Multi dimensional Spreadsheet...

Has anyone heard of Multi dimensional Spreadsheet on the Mac? A friend
of mine is interested in using such a beast, and he would rather use it
on a Mac than on a PC (hooray for him!!). Any such luck anyone?

Thanx in advance...

                                          -- Samir <xsak@ecncdc.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 15:33:05 EDT
From: "john P. McNeely" <JMCNEELY@UTCVM>
Subject: MAC-TERM

   Can anyone tell me how I can get the MAC-TERM package?

John P. McNeely
<JMCNEELY@UTCVM>
Chattanooga, TN.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 10:35:39 EDT
From: ME599017%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: SendPS 1.21 vs LWNT

SendPS v. 1.21 doesn't seem to reboot the LaserWriter NT, even though it
successfully reboots a LaserWriter Plus on the same AppleTalk net.  The NT
does respond to other Postscript commands from SendPS 1.21.  What's up?  Is
the reboot command for the NT different from the command for the Plus?
Thenks in advance for any info.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 88 00:08:28 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM>
Subject: DA-DICTIONARY-MAKER

Nice, but somehow I can not make it work! Any help or doc?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 88 12:34:55 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM>
Subject: SUM-FIXES.HQX.1

     Is it possible to have more information on the purpose of these two inits.
The author said it was the second mailing, what was the name of the first.
     Thanks for the information and the trouble.
Jean Brunet: R31631@UQAM

[The Shield INIT helps keep track of disk information for file and disk
recovery purposes.  It also has some anti-virus capabilities.  The HD
Partition INIT keeps track of hard disk partitioning info.  You'll have to
look at a Symantec Utilities manual for more details.  - Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 15:43:38 EDT
From: Tom Downey x2558 11/321 <tdowney@BFLY-VAX.BBN.COM>
Subject: MacBinary files on UNIX

I have a MacBinary file on a UNIX system that I want to transfer to a Mac
via Versaterm. Versaterm supports a MacBinary XMODEM mode, so what it seems I
need is a UNIX program that can take a MacBinary file and transfer it using
the XMODEM protocol (like what macput does with its .info, .data and .rsrc).

Alternatively, a utility that takes a MacBinary file on a Mac and turns it into
a regular Mac file would also do the trick.

Why do I want to do this? I am using NCSA Telnet on my Mac at work. I can
dial in from my Mac at home into our UNIX system and ftp a file out of my work
Mac onto the UNIX system as a MacBinary file. The question is: how to get it
from there to my Mac at home (over a dial-up asynch line; I use Versaterm as my
communications software)?

Thanks,
	Tom Downey
	BBN Advanced Computers Inc.
	tdowney@bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Sep 88 11:26:45 CDT
From: GA0048%SIUCVMB.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Help with RS-232 Serial Connection

We have a new faculty member who needs to hook up an RS-232
digital scale to a Mac SE.  What do we need to get the numbers
off the scale and into the Mac?  I'm a total novice at this and
so is she.  We'd appreciate any help and/or suggestions.
| Jon Muller, Chairman         |  Bitnet:  GA0048@SIUCVMB |
| Department of Anthropology   |    Phone: 618-536-6651   |
| Southern Illinois University |                          |
| Carbondale, IL 62901  USA    |                          |

------------------------------

Date: Mon 5 Sep 88 11:58:01-MDT
From: Brent Carruth <MA.CARRUTH@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU>
Subject: program for tutoring intermediate algebra

     Could someone give me a reference for a software program for the MAC that
is designed to be used as a tutor for a student of intermediate algebra?
The software may be PD, shareware, or commercial.  It should have exercises
which help to develop a student's skill in the basic topics of a second
course of (high-school) algebra: polynomials, factoring, quadratic equation,
laws of exponents, etc.

     Please reply to me directly.

     Thanks very much.

     Brent Carruth
     ma.carruth@science.utah.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 21:38:47 bst
From: Stephen Page <sdpage%prg.oxford.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: InvisiHDMainBo3b:  Virus or just a crashed application?

I spent most of last night removing applications from an nVIR-infected
Mac SE. (Now, of course, I would be very happy to tear limb from limb
the person/s who originated it...)

I found an invisible file named InvisiHDMainBo3b on the hard disk. It
has no file type, no creator, and no resource fork (the latter makes
ResEdit grumble about trying to read it.) It contains a few bytes of
data and the name of the hard disk.

I also found a similar file on a floppy which had some nVIR-infected
applications on it. This coincidence seems dangerous.

Does anyone know whether this file is part of a virus, or just some temp
file left by a crashing application? If the former, would it be safe to
"trash" (as they say in the US) it?

[This file is from the Apple HDBackup program.  It keeps track of file
information for backup purposes.  - Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1988 08:34:01 EDT
From: "Roberto A. Banos Alvarez"
From: <PP205138%TECMTYVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Genealogical trees

This little message is to ask for some help. I'd like to know if there is any
mac application for building GENEALOGICAL TREES.

A friend of me is very interested and he thinks I know this information,
so, please help me to do not disappoint him.

Thank you in advance.
                                      Roberto A. Banos Alvarez
                                        (PP205138@TECMTYVM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Sep 88 19:38:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thomas Waterbury Davis <td19+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Font Editor info request

I am looking for a font editor for the Macintosh.  Please send me information
as soon as possible.  Thank you.

td19+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 20:24:16 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: StuffIt 1.5, docs, UnStuffIt 1.5

  This is StuffIt 1.5 which was downloaded from Genie.  The most
significant new feature is the ability to 'stuff' an entire folder
hierarchy (or even an entire volume) at once.  It is shareware - $20.

  StuffIt 1.5 is no longer free for unstuffing files.  A separate utility
called UnStuffIt is provided free for unstuffing.  So, the functionality
for free unstuffing is still there, but in a separate utility.  I only
mention this so you don't automatically provide StuffIt 1.5 to people who
still expect it to be free for unstuffing.  Give them UnStuffIt instead.

  This file is in the form of a StuffIt archive.  It contains StuffIt 1.5,
StuffIt 1.5 documentation, and UnStuffIt 1.5.  To recreate the original
files, recombine the [parts], dehexify them with BinHex, and unstuff them
with your old StuffIt.

Have fun!

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-DOC-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-DOC-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>UNSTUFFIT-15.HQX

They are in separate files for more selective downloading.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 20:42:33 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: StuffIt Utilities 1.5 (2 parts)

This is StuffIt Utilities 1.5 which was downloaded from Genie.  This
package consists of 4 shareware utilities ($15 for registered StuffIt
users, $18 for others).  UnStuffIt DA is a desk accessory which unstuffs
unencrypted StuffIt archives from within any application that supports desk
accessories.  Auto UnStuffIt creates standalone, self-extracting StuffIt
archives.  You just double click on the Auto UnStuffIt archive like any
application & all the stuffed files are automatically extracted from it.
Viewer is a desk accessory that only allows you to see what files are
inside a StuffIt archive.  It is provided primarily for users who don't
have enough memory to run the UnStuffIt DA.  SF Vol INIT is an INIT that
adds the ability to create new folders and to check the amount of remaining
free space on a disk.  It is in the form of a popup menu that appears when
you click on the disk icon in any application's open dialog box (neat!).
Finally, a documentation file is included.

If you use the StuffIt Utilities, please pay Ray Lau for his work.  Let's
keep shareware alive!

To recreate the original files, recombine the 4 parts of this file,
dehexify them with BinHex, and unstuff them with your old StuffIt.

Have fun!

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-UTILITIES-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>STUFFIT-15-UTILITIES-PART2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 31 Aug 88 09:30:49-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Remember? 1.22 (2 parts)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: REMEMBER? DA/INIT
Date: 31-AUG-1988 00:57 by DAVEWARKER

[ Updated to version 1.22 31-AUG-1988 00:57 by DAVEWARKER. Remember?
version 1.22 fixes a nasty problem involving multiple copies of the text
for an occasion appearing in the occasion display box. ]

[ Updated to version 1.21 22-AUG-1988 22:12 by DAVEWARKER. Adds printing,
alphabetical order for occasions, copy to scrap, and bug fixes. ]

Remember? is a DA and an INIT to help keep track of important occasions,
birthdays, meetings, etc.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>DA-INIT-REMEMBER-122-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>DA-INIT-REMEMBER-122-PART2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 88 11:12:11 PDT
Subject: Tarski's World and Turing's World stacks
From: barwise@russell.stanford.edu

John Etchemendy and I have developed two logic courseware packages for the
Macintosh, Turing's World and Tarski's World.  Turing's World is for use in
introductory courses in computability and automata theory, and Tarski's
World is for use in introductory courses in first-order logic.

We have recently put together hypercard stacks describing and demonstrating
each of these programs.  The hypercard stacks are available on info-mac.

We are also willing to send copies of the hypercard stacks if you send a
Mac disk and self-addressed envelope to:

	Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy
	Center for the Study of Language and Information
	Ventura Hall
	Stanford University
	Stanford, CA 94305

These programs (and hypercard stacks) are only available for the Macintosh.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TARSKI-DEMO-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TARSKI-DEMO-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TARSKI-DEMO-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TURING-DEMO-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TURING-DEMO-PART2.HQX

HyperCard stacks will now begin with the prefix HC instead of HYPERCARD.  I
will make this change retroactive for consistency.  When I do, I think this
will lead to "new" files (in name only) appearing at MACSERVE@PUCC, so I'll
try to phase in the changes to avoid MACSERVE overload.  However,
<INFO-MAC>00DIR.RECENT will be correct since it ignores name changes.

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest