Date: 5 Sep 88 08:17 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: TEX v.0.5 .sit.hqx free-text real-time indexer/browser HC
Subject: stack

Appended below, if all goes well, is the file tex.0.5.sit.hqx, which has
to be run through BINHEX and then STUFFIT to recover.  It's the HyperCard
stack that's the shareware extended/enhanced/improved version of my old
effort Texas.  TEX (no relation to TeX or typesetting, obviously), like
Texas, can be used to build complete inverted indices to arbitrarily-large
completely unstructured free-text files (which I call 'dataspaces') ...
and like Texas, TEX lets you scroll around in an index window, click on a
word to call up a key-word-in-context view of all of the occurrences of
that word and its neighbors, click on a line in that Context view to jump
immediately into the actual text of your dataspace at that point, and
copy/paste anything you read from that Text view into notes or other
material you're working on.

But in addition to what Texas allowed, TEX shows you multiple windows into
a dataspace's Index view (independently scrollable), TEX lets you browse
through multiple dataspaces (just copy the browsing Card and paste in
extra copies), and TEX has 'subspace' browsing (a form of proximity search
that's very friendly and nicely intuitive).  TEX is also much better
designed graphically (thanks to help from Andreas Vichr) and is much
easier for users to customize or extend at the HyperTalk scripting level.

TEX contains complete documentation, and the C source code for all of its
XFCNS is available separately (I'll try to post it to you here next).  The
license fee requested is $10 for individual/family/nonprofit/educational
users, and $40 for corporate users.  I would greatly appreciate any comments,
suggestions for improvements, bug reports, etc. from anybody who tries
the stack.

Best,   ^z
  Mark Zimmermann, 9511 Gwyndale Dr., Silver Spring, MD  20910

P.S.  if you can't get the .sit.hqx files off the net, you can send me a
self-addressed stamped envelope, a formatted Mac disk, and $15 (which
includes the individual license fee, refundable if you don't like TEX)
and I'll put TEX 0.5, the source code, qndxr, MultIndexer, brwsr, Texas
version 0.27, and whatever else fits on there for you ... I really hate
to spend time duplicating disks, though, so please don't write unless
there is no other way.  The same disk should be available from BMUG and
other places in a few weeks....  Apologies for mentioning money (pls
feel free to delete this postscript, moderator!), but I don't want to
be in the disk duping business any more!!

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TEX-05.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 88 08:29 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Texas v.0.27 HC indexer/browser free public-domain stack

Appended below, if all goes well, is a BINHEX'd, STUFFIT'd file of
the latest version of Texas, 0.27 -- please discard all previous
versions, as this one fixes some bugs in them that may cause trouble
in the Merge Indices operation and elsewhere.

Texas, as previously described, is a free, public-domain HyperCard
stack which lets you build complete inverted indices to big (hundreds
of megabytes) unstructured text files, and then browse through those
indices, clicking and retrieving key-word-in-context and full-text
displays.  This version 0.27 is (I hope!) the last one I'm going to
work on, as it's superseded by TEX (posted separately with its
source code) ... Texas lacks the subspace browsing (proximity search)
and the multi-dataspace abilities of TEX, but it is free.  If anybody
wants to use Texas (or TEX) to build improved systems which have
additional capabilities, I would be most pleased (provided you sell or
otherwise distribute it at a rational price, rather than $30,000/copy --
sorry for editorializing, but the current price structure for inverted
index systems is rather out of line, in my humble opinion!).  I took
Texas and built TEX from it; you may want to do the same.  Contact me
for source code, or check around on the networks/boards....

Best,  ^z
Mark Zimmermann, 9511 Gwyndale Dr., Silver Spring, MD  20910, USA

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TEXAS-027.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 88 08:21 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: tex XFCN source code (Lightspeed C) .sit.hqx file

Appended below, if all goes well, is a file containing all of the TEX
(version 0.5) indexer/browser XFCN source code; requires STUFFIT and
BINHEX to unpack.  There are 4 external functions, two of which are
pretty major (to build indices and to browse through the index files
and format data for HyperCard Index/Context/Text view fields).  Have
fun with them!  ^z
Mark Zimmermann, 9511 Gwyndale Dr., Silver Spring, MD  20910, USA

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>HC-TEX-XFCN-SOURCE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 19:44:27 PDT
From: Bryce Jasmer <jasmerb@orstcs.cs.orst.edu>
Subject: shar.unshar.sit.hqx

[No comments included so I pulled these from the files themselves (there
are two in this StuffIt posting).  - Lance ]

UNIX shar - this script was written by Bryce Jasmer for MPW. This script
will produce a shar file that is compatible with UNIX's shar. In fact, it
is identical to a UNIX shar'ed file. Shar several files together with MPW,
upload them to a UNIX machine, and unshar them from UNIX.
written: 7/29/88  12:29:15 AM

	unshar - remove files from a UNIX shell archive (shar).

	This MPW tool was written by Steven A. Falco and was heavily
	modified by myself (Bryce Jasmer) without permission because
	Steve's version did not work for me and I couldn't locate him
	to ask if I could modify it.
	This tool is being sold under "PostcardWare". Please send a
	postcard of your city or your latest vacation to me. I would
	really appreciate hearing from you!

	Bryce Jasmer
	Eagle Software
	1974 Lomond Avenue
	Springfield, OR  97477

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>MPW-SHAR-UNSHAR.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 88 11:55:41 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Olympic Event Logos

From GENIE:

Here are two MacPaint files in Stuffit/HQX format of Olympic Event Logos
that were Thunderscanned, and cleaned up using MacPaint.  I simply
downloaded them, but didn't do the work.

	- Peter

--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>OLYMPIC-LOGO.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	  Wed, 7 Sep 88 19:47:01 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: SeaHaven Towers Game (4 parts)

This is a very pretty solitaire game for any machine with color
QuickDraw.  It was all drawn with PixelPaint and plays very well
with some nice card shuffling and moving sounds.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>GAME-SEAHAVEN-TOWERS-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>GAME-SEAHAVEN-TOWERS-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>GAME-SEAHAVEN-TOWERS-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>GAME-SEAHAVEN-TOWERS-PART4.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 88 23:59:52 EDT
From: jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear)
Subject: Mac archives submission: MacSnoop 1.4.4

MacSnoop(TM) 1.4.4 Demo, 5 Aug 88, by Art A. Schumer, Shareware $25.

[upload from Boston Computer Society's Mac BBS & abstract by Jon Spear]

From the program's "Shareware Notice" text:

  "MacSnoop is a file/volume editor that was developed to help fill the
  gap left by FEDIT since its departure from the shareware market. MacSnoop
  is both HFS and MFS compatible and tries to adhere to the Macintosh
  interface as closely as possible.

  "Some of the advanced features include support for any hard disk up to
  512M in size, the use of multiple windows for file/volume editing as well
  as directory windows to allow you to perform common file tasks such as
  renaming, deleting, locking, unlocking, attribute setting and
  informational display."

MacSnoop (like the commercial programs MacZap Tools, Symantec Tools, FEDIT,
and Copy II's MacTools) lets you view/edit any block of a file or disk
volume in hex or ASCII. These programs differ in user interface and features.

The included MacWrite-format user manual (dated 17 July 1988) includes a two
page listing of bug fixes and incremental improvements through v1.3.1.

Version "1.4.4 Demo" doesn't explain what's changed or what improvements might
be found in a non-demo version, but this is fully functional, NOT crippleware.

MacSnoop should work with Mac 512KE, Plus, SE, and II, but may have problems
with pre-512KE machines with 64K ROMs. Multifinder compatible.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>MACSNOOP-144-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>MACSNOOP-144-PART2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Sep 88 09:31:21-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #15

Delphi Mac Digest     Tuesday, September 6, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 15

Today's Topics:
     Falcon 2.0
     Re: HELP HELP HELP DEAD MAC
     DG Terminal Emulation / Fax Machine (3 messages)
     re: old Mac connectors & AppleTalk
     MultiFinder Problems
     Re: Attention all Suitcase Owners...
     Re: Suitcase upgrade
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #76
     RE: File stripper (2 messages)
     LCD displays (6 messages)
     MacWorks Plus for LISA & Mac/XL (2 messages)
     Mac Construction records package
     MenuEdit 1.2 (2 messages)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-15.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:11:14-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #117

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 117

Today's Topics:
     homebrew tape backup
     Re: Software Upgrade Policies (problems with Symantec)
     FAX -> text
     Re: Finder 6.1 bug
     Re: Shareware charges
     PICT-->hex DA?
     Nisus from Paragon Concepts, Inc.
     Re: Followup to Mac512 ROM/disk upgrade availability
     Re: Disks for 29 cents?
     Re: How to Make Pronunciation Marks
     Re: Chess game across the LAN?
     Re: FAX -> text
     Re: How to Make Pronunciation Marks
     Syquest cartridge disk problem
     Re: SuperMac dying?
     Re: LSC 3.0 Gripes or Commendations?
     Re: Slow appleshare using CAP v5.0
     Re: Chinese Talk
     Low Cost Laser Printers
     Re: Mac<->D-Size Plotter interface?
     Re: SUM ( HD Partition )
     Rodime disk drives, A/UX, MacOS no longer recognizing the Rodime
     Re: Followup to Mac512 ROM/disk upgrade availability
     Re: Finder 6.1 bug

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-117.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:11:53-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #118

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 118

Today's Topics:
     Re: Databases: distributed vs. monolithic file structure
     Re: LaserWriter password
     Re: Mac SCSI drive on a Sun
     Need Info on Package for Managing POs
     16 Bit Audio Cards for the Mac?
     Re: How to Make Pronunciation Marks
     Re: Nisus from Paragon Concepts, Inc.
     Re: UPTIME VIRUS
     Re: Quickmail, anyone?
     Apple HDBACKUP help needed
     Macintosh Bowling League program wanted
     DEC RD54 as a Mac RLL drive!
     Trackballs
     Re: LaserWriter II NT, how to avoid first test page?
     Need WriteNow file format
     Re: Replacing power boards in old 512K macs
     Raw picture to a usable format
     Re: LogicWorks Simulator Wanted
     Re: Word 3.0 file format?
     LaserWriter password
     Robust Modula 2 implementations on the Mac
     Need info on Mac II 80286-based coprocessors

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-118.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:12:58-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #119

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
     Databases: distributed vs. monolithic file structure (was Re: FoxBase)
     Re: Summary of responses to request for info. on back up devices
     LQ Imagewriter and HyperCard
     Kudo for DEST
     Re: SE hard drives
     Followup to Mac512 ROM/disk upgrade availability
     Re: SFVolInit
     System 6.0, Textures, HyperCharger 020 board
     Re: Databases: distributed vs. monolithic file structure (was Re: FoxBase)
     Re: UPS for Mac II file server- what do I need?
     AppleTalk Laser Accounting.
     Educational Software Evaluation Methods?
     LSC almost gets it right.
     Curses for the Mac
     Re: MultiFinder and the event mask
     Problem with menu resources.
     CopyBits and the Mac II
     Re: playing snd 2 resources
     Re: ResEdit question
     Re: Launching a program from LightSpeed C and returning...

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-119.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:13:47-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #120

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 120

Today's Topics:
     Re: LSC almost gets it right.
     Re: Problem with menu resources.
     Think C 3.0 Bug?
     Re: 32K jump table limit; MacApp memory problem
     Setting the Sound Volume (XFCN)/ Control Panel
     Color animation on the Mac II
     LSC 3.0, argc & argv, linking
     Color programming question (256 vs 16 colors)
     Opening and Closing the Printer Driver
     Re: CopyBits and the Mac II
     LSC profiling, bugs, missing features
     Re: Setting the Sound Volume (XFCN)/ Control Panel
     Re: Think C 3.0 Bug?
     LSC INIT Sample Code?
     Re: Bug in SysBeep?
     Wanted: Very Technical Mac II Video Card Info
     Re: Bug in SysBeep?
     Hitachi Tiger Tablet
     Re: SB-Prolog on a Mac II
     Re: What's the official name for the box in the scroll bar?
     Wanted: File formats for 4th Dimension data files
     a/ux look-alikes etc
     Changing name of term windows
     SLIP for A/UX ?
     Re: a/ux look-alikes etc (long)
     Re: Mathematica
     Re: Rodime disk drives and A/UX
     Wide Draft-quality printers for the mac (inexpensive)
     Spellchecker compatible with PageMaker 2.0a

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-120.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:14:26-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #121

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 121

Today's Topics:
     Re: Superpaint 2.0 vs. Canvas 2.0
     Speech Synthesizer??
     Re: 16 Bit Audio Cards for the Mac?
     Re: LaserWriter password
     Why am I getting this sad mac?
     Re: System 6.0, Textures, HyperCharger 020 board
     Re:  Bad Floppy Drive
     How to create menus and windows in FoxBase & a comparison with 4D.
     Dialogs in INITS (LSC3)
     Calling MPW Tools from other Tools written in C
     Re: Dialogs in INITS (LSC3)
     Re: LSC almost gets it right.
     Re: Millisecond timing on Mac II
     What's the right way to create a user preferences file?
     Re: Millisecond timing on Mac II
     How to write dialogs in an application
     Re: Dialogs in INITS (LSC3)
     Highlight "OK" buttons
     X11 questions
     How to get NFS reads >1024 bytes?
     Re: a/ux look-alikes etc (long)
     Re: Canvas 2.0 ????
     Re: SUM ( HD Partition )

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-121.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Sep 88 09:15:41-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #122

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 10, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 122

Today's Topics:
     Re: Summation on Trackballs
     RGB
     Re: Shareware charges
     Retouch Problem
     Erratic ImageWriter II Appletalk behaviour
     Bar code reading/writing software
     tablets for the mac
     Re: Mac<->D-Size Plotter interface?
     Re: Wide Draft-quality printers for the mac (inexpensive)
     LOG10 Problem in Excel
     dealing with fragmentation (was Re: SUM ( HD Partition ))
     Re: Shareware charges
     Re: Wide Draft-quality printers for the mac (inexpensive)
     Re: Shareware charges
     Re: Highlight "OK" buttons
     Parameterizable INITs (was:Dialogs in INITS (LSC3))
     Re: Highlight "OK" buttons
     Re: Reading a resource from an already open file
     Re: Millisecond timing on Mac II
     Re: LSC 3.0, argc & argv, linking
     Finder/application interface oddity
     Re: CopyBits and the Mac II
     Re: LSC 3.0, argc & argv, linking
     Long pause using Berkeley networking

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu]<INFO-MAC>USENETV4-122.ARC

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest