[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V4 #17

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (09/24/88)

Date: Fri 23 Sep 88 14:13:27-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #17
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Friday, September 23, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 17

Today's Topics:
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #80
     RE: World geography
     MF Problems (4 messages)
     A/UX 1.1
     FileMaker II and SCSI incompat.
     HP Deskjet Printer (5 messages)
     HP DeskJet
     Removable Hard Disks
     Graphics windows (2 messages)
     re: Re: DeskCheck and LaserWriter (was R
     re: List Manager in DA's
     re: software for theatre work?
     re: RamStart woes
     New Jasmine Drives, Tape Drive

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #80 (Re: Msg 27383)
Date: 16-SEP 21:16 Network Digests

>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 14:06:34 CDT
>From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
>Subject: Bundle bits

>I have a Lisa with a 10 meg widget internal drive.  It has been crashing
>regularly in this heat.  I gather it is possible to install a fan under
>the hard drive, but where can I get such a fan?

Sorry I took so long to reply; I'm catching up after the Expo and
vacation.

The 10 MB Lisa drives _shipped_with_fan_installed_.  I experienced
crashes when my fan was disconnected.  This was in a _cold_ room; the
problem soon turned into a controller failure.  The disk's data was
fine, but I hope you did not have to replace your controller.

The fan is located under the floppy drive.  The cage containing floppy
and hard drives can be removed by loosening the thumbscrew at the bottom
of the cage, after removing the front cover of the machine.  The wire to
the fan plugs into the top-most controller board at the back outside
corner; they sometimes can get unplugged.

There are various locations around the country with these parts.  I got
my replacement controller from a local 'tech' who freelances with such
things. If you are in the Midwest, you could call The Lisa Shop in
Minneapolis; the number is the current Macazine; sorry I do not have it
handy.  When I spoke to them recently, I was told about some very
interesting products they were perparing.
--
Laird Heal
Delphi:  MACLAIRD

Home:  (603) 898-1406
Away:  (312) 339-6582

------------------------------

From: JIMSB
Subject: RE: World geography (Re: Msg 27472)
Date: 17-SEP 00:32 HyperCard

The U.S. Geological Survey has a stack on map projections. To contact
them for more info send mail to:

 U.S Geolgical Survey,
 Books & Open-File Reports
 Federal Center,
 Building 41,
 Box 25425
 Denver, CO 80225

The current issue of MacUser has a brief description of the stack.

Good Luck!

Jim

------------------------------

From: PMANDEL
Subject: MF Problems
Date: 17-SEP 01:15 Programming Techniques

Peter, You are right.  The application is quiting the Finder and that is what is
causing the clearing of the screen.  The question that I can't answer is why the
program can launch under MultiFinder when it has the information stored as a
resource, but when it h as to use the SFGetFile call it fails with the 'Can't
load Finder' error?  What does SFGetFile do that would cause this? Paul

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: MF Problems (Re: Msg 2566)
Date: 17-SEP 16:53 Programming Techniques

SFGetFile has been patched by MultiFinder to allow double-clicking a document
icon in Finder to swap to the document's application and simulate dragging the
File menu to Open and running the standard file dialog.  Conceivably it is this
patch that is causing the system to look for Finder.  However, I have no idea
how the patch works, so I can't point to this definitely.

If you start tracing through SFGetFile to find out what causes this you'll have
the satisfaction of learning a lot about the Standard File package!

I think that quitting the Finder is generally a pretty bad thing to do, so I'd
recommend fixing your program so it doesn't do that.

peter

------------------------------

From: PMANDEL
Subject: RE: MF Problems (Re: Msg 2567)
Date: 18-SEP 01:05 Programming Techniques

I agree.  Until recently I did not realize that I was quitting the Finder. There
must be something that I am missing from the Tech Note or from unpublished
information.  On Cue does exactly what I want to do.  A simple launch and then
it goes away until you need it again.  I guess I'll write Fred Reed and see what
light he can shed.  I still have not figured out what SFGetFile does to disturb
the launch. Thanks for the ear. Paul

------------------------------

From: PMANDEL
Subject: RE: MF Problems (Re: Msg 2570)
Date: 18-SEP 18:56 Programming Techniques

ShutDown does all of the clean up that other programs have to do when they just
patch the trap.  Another way of saying it is that it is the easy way out.  I
think that I can just close the resource file after the information about the
program is written and then just jump to the beginning of my code. If I have
time I am going to test this method this weekend.  I could also make a cdev that
would be the Setup part of the INIT.  Open the cdev and set the application as
well as how and when you want it to come up.  One of the options that I am
working on lets you set the number of days that you are willing to have between
each backup.  This would stop the problem of having it come up every time that
you reboot.

Paul

------------------------------

From: NOFAL
Subject: A/UX 1.1
Date: 18-SEP 02:13 Tools for Developers

Does someone know when it's A/UX 1.1 supossed to be available? I find it a very
interesting OS to program.If version 1.1 brings the improvments they
promise(printing,memory manager patches,etc.) and we can gradually work to
multitask usual Mac programs written for MultiFinder in A/UX we could have a g
at OS for everyday work.(programing) I think that every programer should think
not only in MultiFinder when programing new code but also in A/UX compatibility, for example Wingz is going to be able to run in A/UX. And Coral's Common Lisp will also run.
                                    Danny

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH
Subject: FileMaker II and SCSI incompat.
Date: 17-SEP 15:03 Business Mac

FileMaker II (formerly FileMaker 4), now from Claris, won't run unless you have
(1) the new ROMs  (2) 1 meg or more    and (3) a SCSI port.  1 and 2 make sense,
but 3 is stupid; apparently it looks for a SCSI port as a quick and dirty
surrogate for 1 and 2.

So those of us who have a 512KE upgraded to 1 meg are stuck!  Is there a
workaround?  Does FileMaker II REALLY use any SCSI commands???  If so, why? If
not, wouldn't there be some FEdit way to make it runnable?

Help! --Jim Weinrich

------------------------------

From: ZCLUB
Subject: HP Deskjet Printer
Date: 17-SEP 20:45 Hardware & Peripherals

   Just got thru looking at a PC User's (yeah I know) new HP DeskJet
printer..... 300 DPI FOR $700 is not bad at all.  Heard a rumor that there is a
Mac driver for it.
   Just wondering if anyone uses or knows of another Mac user who uses a HP
Deskjet, and what kind of results are achieved, particularly on fonts, quickdraw & even bitmapped.  Not having to learn postscript would be ok in my case.
   Will much appreciate hearing of anyones experiences using it. Thanks much /
Jack Carr

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: HP Deskjet Printer (Re: Msg 27485)
Date: 18-SEP 11:31 Hardware & Peripherals

We looked at the literature for the hp deskjet but literature while claiming
apple ][ compatability does not claim mac compatability.  also you should not
that the speed is something like 2 pages per minute (slow...).  best jim

------------------------------

From: HALL
Date: 18-SEP 14:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Yes, I've used it with the Grappler LQ.  It's slow (make that very slow), but
the quality is good.  You do have to use fonts that are 4 times larger than the
ones you're printing.

Brian

------------------------------

From: ZCLUB
Subject: RE: HP Deskjet Printer (Re: Msg 27487)
Date: 19-SEP 00:24 Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks for the reply, re: HP DeskJet. Guess that means it does fonts like the
Imagewriter LQ, 4 times size from the Mac itself.  Hows about use of quickdraw & bitmapped graphics?  If most of the functionality is intact, the $700 price may
still be worth the slow speed (hope my MacBottom print spooler would work with
it). Is the Grappler LQ print driver the reason for the slow speed, and if so,
are there any other known drivers for it?  Again, thanks much for your info.
Jack Carr / Manhattan, KS. Exit

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: HP Deskjet Printer (Re: Msg 27489)
Date: 19-SEP 22:51 Hardware & Peripherals

I didn't have any trouble with graphics (both MacDraw and MacPaint), but it was
slow overall.  If you use the built in fonts, it's faster, but you have to be
careful to use a screen font that matches the printer font, otherwise you get
garbage (overlapping characters, bad spacing, etc.).  I don't think the Grappler
LQ has much to do with the slowness;  the DeskJet is fairly slow by itself.  The
Grappler LQ uses the ImageWriter LQ driver (in addition to its own CDEV, which I
suppose overlays the ImageWrite LQ driver...), so it should work fine with any
software that's written correctly...  If you use MS Word, be sure to get version 3.02.

Brian

------------------------------

From: ZCLUB
Subject: HP DeskJet
Date: 20-SEP 21:35 Hardware & Peripherals

     Thanks again for your reply on my previous message.
     The new issue of Mad Mac News arrived with an interesting item about the HP DeskJet.  According to the writeup, Mike Amling of Semper Software (the
Sempersoft Modula-2 people) has developed a driver which will even do FKey 4.
I'll have to scrounge around to get the address/location/phone# of Semper
Software in order to find out more.
     Also got a reply on CIS to a similiar question explaining that Cricket
Software had developed a Deskjet driver already.  They call it the Cricket
Expression driver.
     Need to ask you for more info on the Grappler.LQ driver - mainly how to get it.  Is it commercial, public domain, system software or what? People who sell
it know nothing about a driver (unless customer uses a PC). Is the imagewriter
cable correct for it?  I'm serious about getting the HP DeskJet provided I can
get squared away on the driver.

------------------------------

From: ELL
Subject: Removable Hard Disks
Date: 18-SEP 17:53 Hardware & Peripherals

I am considering purchasing a 45 Meg Rremovable Hard Disk system, such as those
based on SyQuest drives. The one's I've found are made by: DPI, Mass Micro
Systems, and Peripheral Land. Also MacProducts just announced a similar product.

[Yes, I know about Custom Memory Systems...]

I have never used any of these drives, so I would welcome feedback from some
experienced users.  What are your personal experiences? Any problems?

How good is the software, hardware & support on these?

Are there any good magazine articles you could point me to?

Will 90 Meg (or more) cartridges systems be available soon? (should I wait?)

Any other technologies you recommend?

Thanks, ELL

------------------------------

From: DWOOD
Subject: Graphics windows
Date: 18-SEP 22:34 Programming Techniques

I am about to add a graphics window to a program that will function in many ways like the windows of MacDraw.  Can anyone here direct me to some examples of C
(or Pascal) source code that would be a good example to follow?  I would like my
windows scroll quickly, and to be viewed at several magnifications (zoom)
levels.  I would also like to be able to print them easily and, like MacDraw, I
would like to create drawings that span several pages.  Any suggestions will be
gratefully received! -Doug

------------------------------

From: DWOOD
Subject: RE: Graphics windows (Re: Msg 2576)
Date: 22-SEP 21:37 Programming Techniques

Thanks for your offer of help.  Actually I am just starting this part of my
project and so right now I am considering what would be the best approch.  First
of all it should be as fast as possible.  Second, it should allow for easy
zooming and scrolling (as in MacDraw).  And third, I would like to support color
quickdraw.  I would like to use polygons to allow for filling objects with
patterns and colors.  And I would like to be able to print easily and to save
the picture at least to the Scrap, possibly to a PICT file or MacDraw file.  I
imagine that for speed I should use offscreen bitmaps.  Some of my drawings may
span several pages and I would like to control them at the resolution of the
LaserWriter so that would mean potentially large bit maps especially if they are
in color. What basic design philosophy did you finally adopt.  Was it successful
or would you have done things differently if you had it to do over? Thanks again
for you input.... -Doug

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: DeskCheck and LaserWriter (was R (Re: Msg 27479)
Date: 20-SEP 05:08 Network Digests

>From: ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac)
>Subject: Re: DeskCheck and LaserWriter (was Re: Problem copying files ...)
>Answer: because Apple's developers and QA don't always use the simple,
No, the answer is that they ignore their testers.  I kept telling them that
the bundle was incorrect, and they didn't fix it.  Not important enough, I
guess.  (I don't think I gave them a confusing report -- it's a simple enough
problem.)

David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: List Manager in DA's (Re: Msg 27480)
Date: 20-SEP 05:08 Network Digests

>From: singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
>Subject: List Manager in DA's
> Has anyone successfully used List Manager routines (particularly with a
>custom definition procedure) from a desk accessory?
> If so, are there any special considerations (beside the usual stuff not
>allowed in DA's))?

Yes (Acta 2.0).  No.  Uh, what things aren't allowed in DAs?

David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If
Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be illegal."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: software for theatre work? (Re: Msg 27501)
Date: 21-SEP 21:42 Network Digests

>From: David Forster <FORSTER@cs.umass.edu>
>Subject: software for theatre work?

Kinko's has a Mac program which is supposed to help teach you set design and
blocking.  I gave a copy to a theatrical friend, and she wasn't very impressed.
It's available from the Courseware Exchange, so it's fairly cheap, however.
(And it looked fun to me.)  It comes with Hamlet characters.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: RamStart woes (Re: Msg 27502)
Date: 21-SEP 21:42 Network Digests

>From: STERRITT%SDEVAX.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
>Subject: RamStart woes
I get RAMstart crashes, but if I run it a second time, it usually works.

From: CSTERRITT
Subject: New Jasmine Drives, Tape Drive
Date: 22-SEP 22:28 Hardware & Peripherals

Hello,
    My ever-faithful Jasmine 20 (which has worked perfectly for over a year now)
is out of space, and I'm  interested in getting a new Jasmine 70.
    Can anyone tell me how good they are?  Have you had problems? Has it worked
just fine?  Would you recommend it to a friend?  (Or a stranger? If so, how
strange a stranger?)
    I'm also interested in their tape backup unit; has anyone used it?  Does it
work with both the new and old drives?
    If you're thinking of recommending a different drive, please feel free; BUT,
I'm sending back the second CMS 60 meg external (I have a plus) that broke
within six hours of arrival; the first one broke within four days!  Very
discouraging, after the Jasmine.
    I'm mainly curious since the new jasmines are evidently new hardware and a
new driver package.
    I apologize if this has been discussed recently; I don't get on often
enough.  If it has, could someone point me to the discussion numbers?
    thanks very much,
    chris sterritt

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------