Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Lance Nakata & Jon Pugh) (11/21/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 20 Nov 88       Volume 6 : Issue 102

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                  A modula -2 compiler for the mac??
                   Are binhexed files true 7-bit ?
                        bibliographic software
                           Chooser problems
                          Digests in general
                    endnote bibliography software
                      Exporting text from RSG 4
                    Forms creation/management S/W?
                  Help request for a VIRUS campaign
                            Mac WP <> TeX?
                  MacWrite bomb under System 6.0.2?
                     Need info on color printing
                        Ordering Stanford SMTP
                       Unix mail for Macintosh
                        Unix Virus Maker Found

The Info-Mac archives are still available (via anonymous FTP) at
SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu in the <INFO-MAC> directory.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 88 03:14:17 PST
>From: INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-2060.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Administrivia

[This message is from 8-Nov-88.]

This is a status message describing the Info-Mac situation at
SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

First, I apologize for not sending out a message sooner.  Things have
been really hectic.  I did post messages a few months ago explaining the
switch from a DEC-2060 to a Sun-4 to take place at the end of October
1988.  Well, that officially happened on November 4, 1988, but some of
you may still have old addresses in your host tables (this is irrelevant
if you're using domain lookup).

SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu is now a Sun-4/280 running SunOS 4.0 (UNIX).  Its
Internet address is 36.44.0.6.

SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu is the old SUMEX-AIM DEC-2060 running TOPS-20.
Its Internet addresses are 36.45.0.87 and 10.0.0.56.

You should continue to send digest messages and binaries to
Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu, and administrative mail to
Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

As of this date, November 8 (hope you all voted!), the Info-Mac archives
are on SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.  Anonymous FTP to this host still works.
I do not yet know when the archives will move to the Sun.  I hope I
don't have to do it manually, because that would take me a long time.
I'll also have to collaborate with the other archive maintainers around
the country to see if we can agree upon a standard file naming and
directory structure format.  As of this time I don't think we'll do a
general conversion to an all-binary (8-bit) archive.  This could change,
though, if we're critically short of disk space and don't want to throw
away files.

No matter what we decide, I expect things to be disorganized for a
while, so delays in response are to be expected.  Also, I think our
BITNET maintainers with their LISTSERV archives will be thrown for a
tizzy, since I've never been clear on how they get our archived files.

On behalf of Jon Pugh and myself, please pass on the word about the
changes to Info-Mac.  I'll try to keep you informed of our decisions, so
please refrain from flooding this account with questions.  Thanks, and
happy Macking.

Lance Nakata
Info-Mac Moderator (along with Jon Pugh)
Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu

-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  4 Nov 88 12:59:06 -0500 (EST)
>From: Michael Joseph Darweesh <md32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: A modula -2 compiler for the mac??

Does anyone out there know of or have a modula two compiler for the macintosh.
It would be very useful for me as a Carnegie Mellon student.

Thank You,

-Mike Darweesh

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 88 12:35 ITA
>From: Marco Colombini <IDPO%IGECUNIV.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Are binhexed files true 7-bit ?

Hi there,
         I have some trouble trying to download software for the MAC from
MACSERVE at IRLEARN.
      I work on a VM/CMS system so the files are stored in EBCDIC format and
a conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII should take place at some time.
      Unfortunately the binhexed files I have received (for example see
HUMPBACK.HQX) are fully 7-bit except for one character, that is AD in EBCDIC
and becomes D5 in ASCII.
      Is this correct ? Should this character be translated into D5 ASCII ?

      Any help welcome.

Marco Colombini
IDPO@IGECUNIV

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 88 17:51:30 CST
>From: Gerald Kutish <ACRC0008%UNLVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: bibliographic software

Can anyone give me some information on the all time best
BIBLIOGRAPHIC program on MS-DOS or Macintosh which does
the following:

-takes bibliographic citation
-abstract
-extract by key-word
-sort by author etc
-reformat the citation to fit publication
-database like

thanks--gerald kutish

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 16:56:57 EST
>From: toM coradeschI <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Chooser problems

We appear to be having a problem with one of our mac 512s (yes, we still
have 4 of them). Running system 4.0, finder 5.4, laserwriter and prep 4.0,
chooser 3.0, we cannot seem to get the machine to talk to the laserwriter
upon a restart or cold boot. The laserwriter shows up in the chooser, when it
is selected, and the print dialog reports that the mac is looking for the
laserwriter, but then there's a beep, and a dialog box reports that the
printer was not found. The only cure we've found is to open the chooser, and
deselect, then reselect appletalk. This has to be done each time the machine
is restarted, with all the 'appletalk is (dis)connected dialogs and so
forth, but then all is well. Until the next time you restart, of course,
when you go thru the appletalk bit all over again. I was thinking of
installing a later release of the chooser. System 6.0.2 uses chooser
v 3.3.1, for instance. But replacing the chooser doesn't explain why this
only happen on this one machine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all
your help.

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit
                   offers you some DOS, JUST SAY NO!"

ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa    UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 88 12:41:37 EST
>From: toM coradeschI <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Digests in general

Good day, <info-mac> moderators. I'm bouncing this suggestion off you,
if you see fit, then I'd appreciate this being included in an upcoming
info-mac digest as administrivia, or whatever. Is it possible to ask
folks not to use lines of dashes (-'s) to break up fields in their msgs?
Any line with more than 20 dashes is interpreted as a new msg by our
undigestifyer.  So I end up getting some guy's msg, then (usually) his
signature ends up being broken into two or three msgs, because he used
dashed lines to separate his email address from his disclaimer from his
whatever. So instead of one msg, I get several. It's only a minor
irritation, until it happens 5 times in a 25 message digest, at which
point it gets to be a real pain in the neck.

I've noticed this phenom for some time now, but it's just recently that
I've found out just how the undigestifyer works, so I have an
explanation.  Anyway, I just wanted to sound off on one of my pet
peeves. You are, of course, free to do as you wish. BTW, did you get a
chance to try out that digestifying program I sent you?

tom c

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"
                ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

[I think removing the dashes is a good idea.  - Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 88 20:13:24 CST
>From: Gerald Kutish <ACRC0008%UNLVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: endnote bibliography software

does anyone have the address, telephone number for the vendor
niles and associates who sell endnote bibliography software for the
mac?

thanks--gerald kutish

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 23:43 AST
>From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG%STMARYS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Exporting text from RSG 4

Does anyone know of a way of exporting formatted text from RSG 4. Plain
text is no problem, but the program appears to lack the ability of Pagemaker
to keep formats by exporting to Word or MacWrite files. Is there perhaps
a DA that will do the trick?

Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 14:50:40 est
>From: moy@nrl-csr.arpa (Gene Moy)
Subject: Forms creation/management S/W?

Does anyone know of any forms creation/management software
that can merge a database into a form?  does some of the
database management software on the Mac have additional
capabilities to create simple forms and then merge the database
with the blocks, lines of the form?

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 88 19:32:37 EDT
>From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Help request for a VIRUS campaign

At Monterrey Institute of Technology we are having a very severe problem
with viruses, mostly of the nVIR ilk. Could someone please direct me to
where we may obtain the latest virus fighting tools, i.e. Interferon 2.1,
etc. ?  Also, any advise, comments, tips will be greatly appreciated.

We plan on having a Virus Extermination Day next week, during which all
Mac users will be persuaded to bring their diskettes for examination.
Hence the need for some effective tools.

Thanks in advance for all the help given !

Juan Courcoul

  Juan M. Courcoul                  | Phone:
  Postmaster / Listserv coordinator |       (835) 820-0000  Ext. 4151
  Dept. of Academic Services        |
  Monterrey Institute of Technology | BitNet:
  Monterrey, N. L.   64849          |         POSTMAST @ TECMTYVM
  Mexico                            |         PP838474 @ TECMTYVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  4 Nov 88  06:48:36 EST
>From: "Peter E. Lee" <FULIGIN%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Mac WP <> TeX?

Howdy,
     I've just started working in a lab where LaTeX is the document formatting
system in use.  I'd love to be able to create documents on the Mac in Word,
and then run some kind of translator to convert them to the equivalent TeX or
LaTeX code.  Does such a program exist?
     I do know of both TeXtures and MacTeX, but both are (A) more than I really
need, and (B) well out of my budget.
     Thanks for any help!
                                              -Peter E. Lee
Fuligin%UMass.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 88 08:11 EDT
>From: "RCSDY::YOUNG"@gmr.com
Subject: MacWrite bomb under System 6.0.2?

Has anyone else experienced a complete failure of MacWrite under System 6.0.2?
Using a Mac II I receive  a system bomb ID=01 right after the opening Claris
logo display, when attempting to launch the current version of Claris MacWrite

(5.0.1, 4/26/88) from the current System 6.0.2 (9/14/88) and current
Finder 6.1. From Multifinder I get message: The application MacWrite has
unexpectedly quit. Others in our group get the same message using similar
 configurations.  If confirmed by others, this is a rather embarrassing fatal
bug.
YOUNG@GMR.COM
- Dick

------------------------------

Date: Monday 07 Nov 88 6:51 PM CT
>From: Kevin R. Cooper <GWCKRCPG%UIAMVS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Need info on color printing

I am writing a program that takes a PICT file and generates four-color vectors
to use on a plotter.  I had been using a call to ColorBit(whichBit) for each
color, drawing the picture, and vectorizing the bitmap.  However, this does not
work as I expected because QD seems to treat colors as transparent instead of
opaque.  That is, if I draw a cyan filled rectangle with a yellow filled
rectangle partially overlapping, the area of overlap shows up on both
color planes instead of only the yellow plane as I anticipated.  So how can
I figure out what is the top (last-drawn) color of a pixel?  Surely I need not
write an entire set of QuickDraw routines?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
                                                 --Kevin R. Cooper
                                                   gwckrcpg@uiamvs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 88 10:59:53 -0600 (CST)
>From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: Ordering Stanford SMTP

Here's the information I got on ordering Stanford STMP:

Date:  Mon,  7 Nov 88 08:21:31 PST
>From:  Laura Kenny <GD.NET@STANFORD.BitNet>
Subject:  Ordering SU-Mac/IP & SU-Mac/MH

David,
The license is a site license, and its $100 per copy each, Macip,
and pcip.  Though if you need to make additional copies for the
University, there is no charge once you are licensed.  We only
accept checks since we are a very small operation.  If you
could give me your address I can mail you the license agreements
and an invoice.  Thank you for your interest.

Regards
Laura Kenny
Networking Systems
115 Pine Hall
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4122
(415) 723-3909

David,
I just noticed, macip and macmh are part of the same program, so
the cost will be $100. for both
Laura

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 88 10:26:12 -0600 (CST)
>From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: Unix mail for Macintosh

Here's the information I got on Stanford SMTP:

========

This is some info about Stanford MacMH implementation. It's done and
due to be out by December.

1. MacMh is a client implementation of SMTP and "revised" POP protocols.

2. User should have a POP subscriber account in a POP server machine.

3. For better security, a connection to SMTP server is preceded with an
	authorization with POP server. This simply check if the user has a
	valid account in POP server. The intention is not to let user
	"pretending" as somebody else, in sending out mail.

4. POP server should run "revised" POP protocol.
	MH6.6 distribution from U of Delaware should have this support
	by April 1988. This is public domain and UNIX
	dependent.
	ftp anonymously from louie.udel.edu:portal/mh-6.6.tar.Z

Andy Mass

========

Our SU-Mac/MH program (part of the SU-Mac/IP package) provides mail
services for Macs on the Internet.  For incoming mail, the Mac depends
on MH-POP service from a Unix host.  MH-POP is the POP service that
comes with the Rand/UCI MH package for Unix, available from UCI,
UUNET, and other places.  For outgoing mail, the Mac uses SMTP to send
to a local "forwarding" host.  Mac/MH provides for creation, editing,
and filing of messages, and also includes an "address book" facility.

It's now released, with docs.  We have had some 30-50 users of it for
the last six months or so, most of whom are very pleased with it.  We
license SU-Mac/IP & SU-Mac/MH (executables only) to universities for
$100.  To get more info on ordering it, send mail to
"macip@jessica.stanford.edu".

 - RL "Bob" Morgan

------------------------------

Date: Sat 5 Nov 88 16:42:08-PST
>From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Unix Virus Maker Found

STUDENT REPORTEDLY CREATED 'VIRUS'
_New York Times_
   The "virus" program that has plagued many of the nation's computer networks
since Wednesday night was created by a computer science student who is the son
of one of the government's most respected computer security experts.
   The writer, Robert T. Morris Jr., a 23-year-old graduate student at Cornell
University whom friends describe as "brilliant," wrote the set of computer
instructions as an experiment, two sources with detailed knowledge of the case
have told The New York Times.
   The program was intended to live innocently and undetected in the Arpanet,
the Department of Defense computer network in which it was first introduced,
and secretly and slowly make copies that would move from computer to computer.
   But a design error caused it instead to replicate madly out of control,
ultimately jamming more than 6,000 computers nationwide.
   In the most serious computer "virus" attack in this country, the student's
program jammed the computers of corporate research centers including the Rand
Corp. and SRI International, universities like Stanford, the University of
California at Berkeley, and MIT as well as military bases and research centers
all over the United States.
   The younger Morris could not be reached for comment Friday.
   The sources said he flew to Washington Friday and is planning to hire a
lawyer and meet with officials of the Defense Communications Agency, in charge
of the Arpanet network, to discuss the case.
   His father, Robert Morris Sr., has written widely on the security of the
Unix operating system, the master program that was the target of the son's
virus program.
   He is now chief scientist at the National Computer Security Center in
Bethesda, Md., the arm of the National Security Agency devoted to protecting
computers against outside attack.
   He is most widely known for writing a program to decipher symbols, or
"passwords," that give users access to computers and their data.
   The elder Morris, in a telephone interview Friday, called the virus "the
work of a bored graduate student."
   Speaking in the presence of officials and lawyers of the National Security
Agency, he would not discuss the case in detail.  He said his son was "for his
age very well trained in computer science:  he studied it in college and held
various summer jobs at various places."
   The sources said the 56-year-old Morris had no prior knowledge of the virus
attack.
   He said he believed that the virus might ultimately have a positive effect.
"It has raised the public awareness to a considerable degree," he said.  "It is
likely to make people more careful and more attentive to vulnerabilities in the
future."
   Managers at hundreds of research and military facilities around the country
Friday continued efforts to cleanse their systems, while computer scientists
studied the virulent program in an effort to prevent a recurrence.

[I hope the SOB gets 50 years.  -Brodie]

SRI ON THE FRONT LINE DURING 'VIRUS' ATTACK
_Times Tribune news services_
   For Stevan Milunovic, the director of information systrems at SRI
International in Menlo Park, Thursday began with warning telephone calls from
computer experts at the University of California at Berkeley and San Diego.
   A crippling software "virus" had infiltrated their systems, a destructive
bug to which SRI was vulnerable.
   That was at 8 a.m., before most of the researchers and engineers at the
international research and consulting company had begun their day.  Many were
due to attend a meeting in San Francisco, but were hastily called back.
   By 9 a.m., a preliminary search had revealed that several small but powerful
Sun Microsystems, Inc. computers had been infected by a "bug" planted by an
unknown person knowledgable about computers, who could be anywhere in the
country--anywhere on the data network the computers were attached to.
   "I thought, 'This is the catastrophe we've all been anticipating, and it's
finally come,'" Milunovic said.
   Fear, anger, intrigue and excitement, "plus a lot of annoyance," mingled in
his mind as the symptoms of the disease became apparent.
   "We had very sluggish system response; some systems were virtually unusable
because they were busy executing the programs the worm established for itself."
   The intruder was first thought to be a virus, a software parasite that
attaches itself to other programs, but is now thought to be what engineers call
a "worm," a self-contained program designed to invade and disable computer
systems.
   While software viruses are commonly distributed on the floppy disks used to
store programs and data, worms reproduce through the vast networks that link
military, corporate and university computers.
  Experts now suspect that a flaw in the worm program actually caused it to
multiply in each computer rather than simply copying itself from one machine to
the next.
  "One system affects all the others it can reach," Milunovic said.
  Like the "bugs" that afflict humans, it congests systems by endlessly
replicating itself.  But this particular worm proved to be relatively benign.
   "Once it entered the system, it could have copied our files, destroyed data
or stolen codes," Milunovic said.  "Judging by the capabilities it demonstrated
in doing what it did, it certainly could have done a lot more damage had the
intent been there."
   As it was, SRI spent all day and much of Thursday night disconnecting many
of its 80 computer systems, removing the worm program and then bringing systems
back on line.
   Most important was to plug the security "holes" through which the worm
entered, a task the engineers believe they have accomplished.
   "We noticed when we innoculated our systems and put them back on the network
that they were still being attacked, but unsuccessfully," Milunovic said.
   SRI, whose initials once stood for Stanford Research Institute, was perhaps
ideally positioned both to contract the disease and to help cure it.
   SRI manages the national information center of the Arpanet, the military
data communications network on which the worm first spread, and is also a major
component of the computer network used by universities and corporations.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU
-------

End of Info-Mac Digest