Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Lance Nakata & Jon Pugh) (12/04/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat,  3 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:
                   62 meg Hard drive < $600 (long)
                       A/UX and the serial port
                       Camera Output for Mac??
               Cover page default in LaserWriter driver
                               Ethernet
                          GREAT DISK LABELS
                         Hard Disks (2 msgs)
           Incompatibility of System 6.0.2 and Radius FPD?
                          Linotronic printer
                            Mac-VAX e-mail
                         MacApp object needed
                              nVir Info
                     Pagemaker 3.0 in a 1 Meg SE?
                    Word 3.1 Pagination Goes Crazy

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 22:30 AST
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG%STMARYS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 62 meg Hard drive < $600 (long)

Here is a recipe for a 62.3 meg Mac SCSI hard disk costing less than
$600. I have built this drive, and I'm very happy with it. It is easy to
assemble and performs as advertised. The inspiration for the project was
the series of two articles "Macintos SCSI Drive Secrets Revealed" in the
Sept.-Oct. Computer Shoppers. Those articles detail many other options,
but since many people will no longer be able to get the magazines, and
since not all the information one needs was included in them, here is one
configuration that will work.

Ingredients:

Seagate ST277N SCSI HD          $450
Tulin Apple Hive                $119
Mac to SCSI cable               $ 10
Power cord                      $  4
Apple HD SC Installer free
                                ____
Total                           $583

Because I am in Canada, shipping charges are different, and I can't
provide that information for U.S. customers.

Procedure:

You may order the above items from the sources listed below.

The Apple Hive is a complete under-the-Mac sized box with 30 watt power
supply, decently quiet fan (quieter than the drive), internal cables, 2
SCSI connectors, a filtered AC connector, an external SCSI address
switch, two front panel LED's (for power on and drive selected), and a
front panel power switch. The box is *sturdy* and nicely finished.

Unpack the ST277N, open the Apple Hive box with a phillips screwdriver,
mount the drive in the box with screws provided (small slot head), and
attach the internal cables as indicated by the instructions. If you want
to use the drive select LED, you will have to solder two wires to the HD
board where on-board LED is (I removed that LED first). If you are not
comfortable doing that, skip that step and do without the activity light.
The drive makes enough of a sound changing tracks so that you can usually
tell if it is active. Now close up the box, connect it to the Mac with
the SCSI cable you ordered, and to 120 AC with the power cord. Turn it
on, and you are ready to format it an install the driver.

The Apple HD SC Installer is a part of Apple's system software release
6.02. You will need to modify it slightly with Resedit to get it to
recognized the ST277N. Using Resedit, open the Installer and open CODE
resource "%A5init." Search for and replace "ST250N" with "ST277N." Close
the file, exit Resedit, and run the installer. When you have finished,
the Finder should mount your hard disk. If it does not, you may need to
turn the drive and Mac on and off a couple of times. You might even have
to repeat the formatting. (If someone can explain why this is necessary,
I would appreciate it. I had a different driver on the drive to begin
with, which may have caused the hitch, but I don't know why.) Once the
drive is mounted, open the installer again, select "Partition," remove
the existing 40 meg partition, and install a maximum sized Macintosh
volume partion. Exit. You now have a 62.3 meg Macitosh SCSI drive for
about $600.

For the curious, this is a moderate speed drive. Its rated and measured
average access time is 40 ms. It is faster than both the FX-20 and the
Photon 30 we have at work. It is faster than the same drive formatted
with SF&I software. I used SCSI Evaluator for the comparisons. The drive's
average read time is about 1800 Kbits/sec and its average write time is
about 1200 Kbits/sec over a good range of block transfers using a
MacPlus.

I am very happy with all the sources I used for this equipment, but you
may find others more convenient. I includes these only so that you will
not have to do all the digging I did to find *somebody* to supply each
item. The relevant sources are as follows:

Seagate ST277N SCSI hard drive from:
        Hard Drives International
        1208 E. Broadway Rd. #110
        Tempe, AZ  85282
        (800) 234-DISK
        (602) 784-1038
        [includes 1 year guarantee]
        [tech support available free for
         cost of your phone call
         (602-967-3133)]

Apple Hive box from:
        Tulin Corporation
        2392 Qume Drive
        San Jose, CA 95131
        (408) 942-9025
        [includes 6 month guarantee]

MacPlus to SCSI cable & power cord from:
        Altex Electronics, Inc.
        10731 Gulfdale
        San Antonio, TX  78216
        (800) 531-5369

Apple HD SC Installer
        Your local Apple dealer

One more resource gives me confidence in the project. Seagate has a free
tech support number (800-468-34720. Their people bent over backwards to
help me sort out some software problems I was having earlier in the
project.

Thanks to Ephraim Vishniac and Jussi-Pekka Mantere who got me over the
software hurdles.

Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 26 Nov 88 21:27:23 GMT
From: gt-eedsp!lois@gatech.edu (Lois Hertz )
Subject: A/UX and the serial port

I'm sure that this is a simple question but we are quite perplexed.
We have a Mac2 running A/UX which absolutely refuses to talk to our
LaserWriter IINT.  The LaserWriter will talk to our IBM PCXT so it
seems to be ok.  We know that it can't use AppleTalk and that it needs
to use the serail port. We assume that we have to set xon/xoff on the serial
port on the mac side but an stty ixon is ignored.  Does anyone have
any idea what we are doing wrong?  We would appreciate any help anyone
has.

Thanks,
Lois Hertz

------------------------------

Date: 23 Nov 88 14:27:00 MST
From: darieb@sandia-2.arpa
Subject: Camera Output for Mac??

Does anybody know of a camera output device which meets the
following specifications:

1. (obviously) can be driven by a Mac (of any flavor)

2. Can produce full color 8" x 10" format pictures with 4000
lines (something like 500 lines per inch resolution)

3. Can actually be seen and touched (i.e. is not VaporWare)

I understand Matrix & Genigraphics have devices which meet 2
but not 1.  There are 35 mm devices which otherwise qualify,
but the users here need direct 8x10 format for Viewgraphs.

Finally, What software packages are available which can talk
to this type of  output device (even if the device doesn't
quite meet all of the specs)?????

I'll be happy to summarize to the net if I receive any replies.

Declan A. Rieb                  INTERnet:DARieb@Sandia-2.ARPA
Org 2614 (Computer Consulting)           DARieb@Sandia.GOV
Sandia National Laboratories             dxxr@LANL.GOV
Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:   (505) 844-6338

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 13:09:21 -0500
From: Joel B Levin <levin@oakland.bbn.com>
Subject: Cover page default in LaserWriter driver

We have a group of Macs scattered around the floor connected to a
LaserWriter.  Often it is a problem separating one user's document
>From another, unless the users remembered to click a "cover page"
button in the LW driver dialog.  Unfortunately, this setting defaults
to "Cover Page: No" and is not remembered (it is hard wired in the
driver), so if a user forgets to click a different button, her
printout may be inadvertantly taken away with the next user's
printout.  I want to fix this by changing the default button to "Cover
Page: Last Page" so it will take an overt act by the user to cause a
cover page NOT to be printed.

So I did.  Here is a patch to the LaserWriter driver which will cause
the dialog to come up with the "Last Page" button set.  It applies
equally well to LaserWriter driver versions 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2.  It is
not in the same location of the file in each version and is probably
not in the same position of the resource; but hex search will find it
correctly.

Using your favorite file editor (I used Fedit Plus, but Mac Zap Tools,
Symantec Tools, MacSnoopy, etc. should work, as should ResEdit):

Change   377C 0010 0004 47EC
    to   377C 0012 0004 47EC
                ^^
Fedit Plus will show this patch beginning at an odd byte address;
that's OK.  In ResEdit, this will be found in PDEF 4 (remember to
delete the old byte, then type the new; ResEdit does not overwrite).

I suggest making your backup copy of the LW driver and then editing
your actual one (reverse of normal procedure).  If you edit the copy
and then put the copy in place, you may have to reboot (I maybe had a
problem doing this once).

No guarantees. Your mileage may vary.  Using 11 instead of 12 will set
the default button to "First Page", but I think that's pretty useless.

	/JBL

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 14:54:43 GMT
From: Dr R M Damerell (RHBNC) <damerell@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Ethernet

Our site has many machines from various makers hung off one E-net (via
repeaters). Sometimes the net itself crashes (fortunately, not often)
& we dont know how to trace the cause. Please does anybody know of a
reasonably cheap piece of diagnostic software? We have MAC SE's with
the Kinetics Etherports and I'd prefer to have diagnostic S-ware for
these because they are physically more portable than (say) SUNS.

Please could you kindly reply directly, I am not on this list.

thanks, Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 15:14 CST
From: <RISTAU%ACUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GREAT DISK LABELS

With "EFFICIENCY" in mind, others may bennifit from a really keen
product I've recently discovered: "Erase-A-Label".  Its an erasable
but PERMANENT disk label.  The kit comes with pen, erasing fluid &
pads (for deleting ALL previous notation), a nifty eraser-pen (for
revising a single line, letter or word) and either 100 or 200 of the
super-duper labels. The labels are cleanly designed with two types to
choose from.  The kit also includes a couple of sheets of fat dots for
those who require a color-coding system.
Seems really well thought-out and has certainly helped us eliminate
part of the the labeling headache.  The manufacturer is:
Cates & Co., PO Box 2761a, Abilene, Texas, 79604, Ph. 800-541-4351

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 88 23:29:06 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disks

  I'm looking for a hard disk to connect to a Mac Plus.  I presently have
an Apple HD connected to one Mac, a CMS to another and find that I need
another HD for the third Mac connected to a network.  My basic philosophy
is that there doesn't seem to be too much difference between hard disks
and I should buy the cheapest I can find, but would like to know if there
are any to stay away from.  I am considering the following drives, listed
with prices.

Apple Crate 20 Meg               $549
CMS Mac Stack 20                 $509
              30                 $589
Everex 20kD                      $499
Jasmine Direct Drive 20          $549
EMAC 20D                         $479
Relax 20 Meg                     $488
UniMac 30Meg (Seagate)           $519
Photon 20                        $499
Major Mac 30 Meg (Seagate)       $549

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 9:41:02 EST
From: tom coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>

A co-worker is looking to buy a SCSI hard disk for his mac+, and, of course,
wants to know which one to buy! I'm looking for recommendations for 20Meg,
externals. Access time not a real concern (he doesn't know what it is).
Please email to me.

tom c

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"
                ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

------------------------------

Date: 22 November 88 16:23-PST
From: TEREBESS%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Incompatibility of System 6.0.2 and Radius FPD?

Date: 22 November 1988, 16:16:13 PST
From: Paul Romaniuk             (604) 721-7088       TEREBESS at UVVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX.STANFORD.EDU

I was just updating all of the various computers in our department with
the new System 6.0.2 release, and everything was going just fine until I
tried to do the two computers in our front office.  Any attempt to boot
>From the System Tools disk resulted in a System Bomb of ID=10.  These
two computers are Mac IIs with internal 40 meg drives, and Radius Full
Page Displays.  The bomb surprised me because I had successfully updated
two other Mac IIs with Apple monitors.  Further investigation showed
that simply swapping the System file from 6.0 to 6.0.2 on the Mac II
hard drive immediately reproduced the problem.  Throwing out the two
Radius FPD inits had no effect.  Since everything but the monitors and
graphics boards are the same between the Mac II systems that could be
updated, and those that couldn't be, I've concluded that there is a
compatibility problem with the Radius FPD (at least the Mac II version)
and System 6.0.2.  Has anyone had similar problems?  Are Radius or Apple
aware of this problem?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 11:52:25 EST
From: Giovanni Aliberti <vanni@dspvax.mit.edu>
Subject: Linotronic printer

Does anyone have a Linotronic printer ??
If so, could you share your experience with us.
A phone number of a local vendor would also help.

Please reply directly to vanni@dspvax.mit.edu

thanks in advance !!

-vanni

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 88 10:53:27 -0500
From: jmccombi@vax.bbn.com
Subject: Mac-VAX e-mail

I am putting together a site with an electronic mail host (a VAX
running VMS).  The users all have Macintoshes on their desks and can
connect to the VAX using NCSA Telnet and an Appletalk/Kinetics
box/Ethernet connection.  I have heard mumblings about DEC and Apple
working together on a "Mac e-mail" product that presents a Mac-like
interface to the user while s/he reads e-mail on the VAX.  If you know
anything about this, or something like it (doesn't have to be from
DEC...)  please send me e-mail directly.  I will summarize to the list
if there is enough interest.

Jon McCombie
BBN Systems and Technologies
Cambridge, MA

Internet: jmccombie@bbn.com
USEnet:   {ihpn4, decwrl}!bbn!jmccombi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 18:24 CST
From: Mark Roseman <ROSEMAN@UOFMCC>
Subject: MacApp object needed

I've got a program right now which is using the TEView object to
handle some text in one window.  Unfortunately, the output to this
window (a program listing) can sometimes grow longer than the 32K
maximum length of a TextEdit record legislated by the ToolBox.

At present what I'm doing is just having the top part of the text
get chopped off as more output is added, but thats obviously not an
adequate solution.  What I would like is to find a new object which
I could use to replace the TEView but would handle text chunks
larger than 32K in length.

I don't need all the features of TextEdit here... in fact, the user
is not even allowed to edit the text.  The program is the only thing
that does the writing to the window.  So we need more of an "output"
object than anything else.

However, the user should be able to print out the contents of the
view, save it in a file, and use cut and copy (but not paste) with
the view.

If anyone has written something along these lines, or knows where
an object of this sort can be found, it would be appreciated.  If not,
I'll write it myself, as it doesn't seem terribly complicated.  By
the way, I'm still using MacApp 1.1 on this project.

Please respond directly to me, as I'm not subscribed to the list.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 88 14:47:46 GMT
From: borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton)
Subject: nVir Info
>..the **** nVIR virus shows up!  This is getting REAL irritating!  Of course,
>Virus Rx, Apple's handy-dandy virus checking program totally misses the nVIR
>virus (NOTE THIS EVERYONE!)  We found the virus using Interferon v. 3.0, now
>v. 3.1.  Unfortunately, we have no good way to kill the virus dead, other
>then a lot of finiking with ResEdit (not clean, but effective).  Interferon
>simply deletes the file...clean, effective, but bad for lab PR when you start
>wiping out peoples applications.  And, we weren't looking for the nVIR when
>we were spot checking, so now we have to start the whole quarentine process
>over from the beginning, with Interferon instead of KillScores.

You can save yourself a lot of time and trouble by vaccinating everything
with "Vaccination", the program written by Mike Scanlin and published in
MacTutor to reverse the effects of nVIR.

The "KillVirus" INIT by Matthias Urlichs provides full protection against
nVIR by stomping on it when discovered and installing the preventative nVIR
10 resource.

Both of these and all other up-to-date virus tools are available via ftp from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu in ftp/Mac/virus (or something close to that).

Claimer: I helped Mike write Vaccination and was 'in' on the frantic dissection.

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21-NOV-1988 17:19  +0100
From: "3077::PBAUMANN"  <U0055%DGOGWDG5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Pagemaker 3.0 in a 1 Meg SE?

        Running PageMaker 3.0 on a 1 Meg SE is possible. I've been running
        it on a 1 Meg Plus and it didn't get faster after upgrading to two Meg.

        Peter Baumann, U0055@dgogwdg5
        MPI fuer Stroemungsforschung, Goettingen, W-Germany

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 16:32 N
From: <RCST9%HEITHE5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Ernst '42' Mulder)
Subject: Word 3.1 Pagination Goes Crazy

 On Word 3.01

 Using Word 3.01 I encountered a lot of problems. Most of them were rather
easy (sort of) to undo, after I found out what caused them.

 1: One day the repagination didn't work as it should. At some points in
    the Document I inserted a page break. At some places before the start
    of a new Chapter. When I used the Previeuwer the pages were broken at
    the right places. That is where I inserted the pagebreak. However, when
    I used the Table of Contents generator the page numbers were all WRONG!!
    The problem, I found out, was Hidden Text. At the start of a new Chapter
    the first characters are hidden (When you use .c. .c2. etc to tell the
    Table of Contents generator what it wants to know), and when I inserted
    the page break the pagebreak itself got invisible too. The Previeuwer
    didn't have problems with this, but the Table of Contents generator
    apparently has. I didn't try what would happen when printing the
    document. So: MORAL: Don't make pagebreaks, sectionbreaks HIDDEN.

 2: Then One Day, some time and some essays later, I encountered another
    problem. I had a complex page, with a lot of formulae. When repaginating
    something weird happened. Say the complex page was page 12. It would
    repaginate from the first page to page 12. Then it would start again
    at page 1, and repaginate till the end of the Document. The most funny
    thing was when creating a Table of Contents. The Chapters from the
    first page till page 12 would be TWICE in the Table of Contents!!! Again
    I didn't try what would happen when printed. The problem stayed even
    after Save As... and disappeared after repaginating with the Option
    key pressed. I don't know why I tried that, and repaginating took a
    lot of time, but it worked and the problem didn't came back. Any
    clues???? MORAL: When desperate repaginate with the Option key pressed!

 3: At out university some people run a Dutch System and some people an
    English System. I usually type my essays and reports on English Systems.
    And I use Word's formuler a lot. For instance \f(1,3)  (\ means Command-
    Option-Backslash) gives the appropriate fraction. When printing the
    Document on a Dutch System some of the formulae were printed not in
    their final form but stayed in the form typed in. It took me about
    a day to find out what caused this. Word uses the 'itl ' resources to
    get some info on the system you work with. In the Dutch number-system
    the 'decimal-point-separator' is a ',', not a '.'. "So..." Word
    apparently things, "So this user is a Dutch person. Let's make life
    convenient for him! If he wants to have a formula with numbers he
    would probably use the comma a lot, so let's separate the expressions
    with a more convenient character!!" And indeed, all worked well when
    I changed \f(1,3) into \f(1;3). To eliminate this problem for ever
    I copied my System's international Resources into Word, and now
    it works well on all Systems. (Isn't Word intelligent?)

 4: I used to have some problems with the style-sheets in Word, but those
    all dissappeared when switching from a 512K Mac to a 2Meg Mac.

 Conclusion: Word isn't a Word Processor for people who want an easy Word
             Processor that always does what the user wants. I would
             recommend MacWrite or WriteNow to such people. I used to be
             one of this kind of people. I changed. (Don't we all at times?)
             Now I would say Word is a Word Processor for people who want
             a lot of neat things. People who know how to work around the
             inconveniences (bugs some call them) of this Word Processor
             and don't give up after yet another serious drawback... (hmpf!)

 Anyway, since I use Word to write my essays and reports it takes me only
two evenings to write something that takes others two weeks. That is when
Word cooperates. And I usually get positive comments on them too. I do hope
however that Word 4.0 is a lot better, and I hope our University will
purchase Word 4.0 as soon as it gets out. :)

 Ernst.

End of Info-Mac Digest