Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Lance Nakata & Jon Pugh) (12/04/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat,  3 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 105

Today's Topics:
                AppleTalk DDP Socket listener question
                   Geographic Information Systemm?
                         Hard disks for mac+
                            Ho, Ho, Ho !!!
                          hypercard question
                           keyboard problem
                          Modula-2 compiler
                 More about MacDraw II version 1.0v4
                  Printing extended ascii characters
                 Programs for French classes for Mac
                         Quality video output
                    Securing an AppleShare server
                 Wanted: 3-D Protein Analysis Program
                        Warning init available

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 88 12:05:50 MST
From: Mike Duigou <MDUIGOU%UALTAVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.EDU>
Subject: AppleTalk DDP Socket listener question

     I recently began working with Appletalk and found to my amazement that
there was no default DDP socket listener available in the prefered interface.
Looking at the description of the assembler interface in IM 2 I see that
none is provided there either, however there is a confusing reference to
not needing to write a socket listener if you plan to use the default pascal
one, but no documentation on how one might do this is provided. SO, my question
is : How do I access the default socket listener from the prefered interface?
If this is not possible does anyone out there have any DDP socket listeners
that behave similar to the default listener?

Mike Duigou
MDUIGOU@UALTAVM.BITNET.EDU
          "This message contains no opinions, just bare facts,
               but I think I'd better disclaim it anyway."
-------
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue 29 Nov 88 15:06:30-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu>
Subject: Geographic Information Systemm?

I read a note from Pete Miller at Bowdoin College asking about
Geographic Information System (GIS) packages for the Mac.  Can someone tell
me about GIS and its features?  Who makes it?

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU
-------

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 88 16:23:57 PST (Thursday)
From: "Carol_Kiparsky.Fremont"@xerox.com
Subject: Hard disks for mac+

Having just acquired a mac+ we are now shopping for a hard disk.  The
choices are bewildering, and we would appreciate advice about the various
types.  For example, MacCrate puts out what seem to be reasonably priced
ones - 60 meg for about $800.  Do any of you know the pros and cons of
MacCrate drives?

		Carol & Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 88 00:02:02 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ho, Ho, Ho !!!

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
              From the December 1988 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

MS-DOS to Unix Recompiler.
Hunter Systems of Mountain View, California and Motorola
have announced a software utility, XDOS, that will translate
MS-DOS applications into binary code that can run directly
on Motorola 68000 and 88000 family processors running the
Unix operating system.  Motorola says that, beginning
January 1, XDOS will be bundled with each version of Unix V
3.2 it sells.  Hunter officials emphasize that XDOS is not a
DOS environment emulator such as SoftPC from Insignia
Solutions (see last December's column).  Instead XDOS
"decompiles" DOS applications, including all popular DOS
business programs, into an intermediate code and then
recompiles the intermediate into a runtime binary that will
run nearly as fast as native Unix code (about three times PC
AT speed according to Hunter officials).
- InfoWorld 7 November and PC Week 7 November

Accelerated Apple IIgs.
Applied Engineering expects to ship the TransWarp GS
accelerator board that will double the speed of a standard
Apple IIgs before Christmas for a retail price of less than
$400.  - A+ December

PS/2 at 14 MIPS.
Intel is developing a bus master chip which will break the
master-slave relationship between coprocessors and the main
CPU and allow true multiple bus mastering and
multiprocessing on Micro Channel Architecture (MCA) personal
computers.  A board with the bus master will accommodate any
coprocessor, including an 80386 CPU.  The implementation of
this multiprocessing capacity in a four processor PS/2 (at
3.5 MIPS per 803386 CPU) would improve performance to a
blazing 14 MIPS.  Deliveries of the new bus master are
anticipated after mid-1989.  - InfoWorld 14 November

Amiga 3000.
Commodore is about to introduce the hermaphroditic Motorola
(19.4 MHz) 68030/Intel (20 MHz) 80386 dual-CPU model 3000
(see last May's column).  The machine has five Amiga slots,
5 PC-AT type slots, 2 Mbytes of RAM (expandable to 16
Mbytes), a 68882 math coprocessor, a megapixel display, and
an 80 Mbyte SCSI disk drive.  The announced price is
$5,200.  - InfoWorld 7 November

Color Laptops.
By next year, most laptops will come standard with 640 by
480 resolution VGA graphics and color flat panel displays
will begin shipping.  Seiko-Epson plans an 80286 laptop that
can display 4096 colors for mid-1989 with an estimated
$7,800 price.  Zenith is expected to show it's color LCD
laptop at the Hannover Fair in March.
- InfoWorld 24 October, PC Week 24 October
  and Random Access 29 October

Apple II Hyper-clones.
Roger Wagner did demonstrate their HyperStudio program for
the Apple IIgs at September's AppleFest (see September's
column).  The expected retail price will be $130.  Techware
Corporation displayed a HyperCard like program for 128K
Apple II's (//e, //c, IIgs).  The Tutor-Tech program
dynamically combines text and graphics in one $195 program.
- A+ December

PostScript Compatible Color Printer.
Tektronix, of Wilsonville, Oregon will market the first
Adobe PostScript compatible printer with a price tag of less
than $13,000.  The printer uses thermal-wax-transfer
technology and will come bundled with an XT/AT bus
controller card containing 8 Mbytes (expandable to 11
Mbytes) of RAM.  The card uses a proprietary PostScript
interpreter and also supports the Hewlett-Packard Graphics
Language (HPGL).  - PC Week 31 October

Quadruple Laserjet II Resolution.
Microtek Labs is showing a laser printer controller that
increases the resolution of HP Laserjet Series II printers
to 1200 dots per inch.  The Microtek GLZ replaces the
standard bottom of a Laserjet II, uses a Motorola 68000
processor, and allows the printer to print individual dots
in 16 shades of gray.  The product already works with
Xerox's Ventura Publisher software and support for Aldus
Pagemaker is expected by the time the product ships early
next year.  No price has been announced.
- InfoWorld 24 October

Ultradense RAM Chips.
Ramtron Corporation of Colorado Springs has signed a
joint-venture deal with Japan's NMB Semiconductors to
develop "ferroelectric" DRAM chips based on ceramics rather
than silicon.  Ferroelectric material can hold up to 250
times more electrons than silicon making it feasible to
produce 16 Megabit chips more easily and cheaply than
silicon DRAM chips with the same memory.  The first chips
made under the contract will be 4 Megabits, but the long
term aim is comparatively inexpensive 16 Megabit chips.
- Business Week 14 November

Does OS/2 Matter?
Most developers don't believe OS/2 will replace MS-DOS to
any significant degree before the early 1990's.
Consequently, nineteen months after introduction, only a few
applications are available that make any use of the
operating system's multitasking capabilities and other
features not included in MS-DOS.  Many software companies
are porting only their best selling applications until
demand improves.  Many buyers are leery of OS/2's apparent
memory requirements.  Although IBM and Microsoft both
recommend 2.5 Mbytes of RAM to run OS/2 and DOS compatible
applications, corporate micro managers indicate 4 Mbytes is
a more realistic number (6 Mbytes to run multiple
applications without degrading performance).
- PC Week 7 and 14 November

MS-DOS Wordprocessor Updates.
Microsoft's Word 5.0 is in beta testing and may be released
before New Year's Day.  The program provides more
sophisticated text and graphics integration and several
preview functions.  Meanwhile WordPerfect expects to release
an interim upgrade for version 5.0 by year's end and version
5.1 in the second quarter of 1989.  Version 5.1 will include
the ability to build forms, create and edit tables, and
perform complex equations.
- InfoWorld 24 October and PC Week 24 October

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 1988 09:01-EST
From: jay mendelsohn@a.isi.edu
Subject: hypercard question

 Can anyone out there tell me how to answer a dialogue box within
a HyperCard script.  For example, if a script uses "open printing
with dialogue", the dialogue box requires the user to select (by
mouse click) the output parameters (number of cards on a page
etc).  I would like to answer the dialogue box within the script
and therefore require no user response.  Is this possible or is
there another way to achieve the same results.  thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 16:52:29 MST
From: Capt Geoff Mulligan <geoff@usafa.arpa>
Subject: keyboard problem

I have suddenly started having a problem with my keyboard.  I have an
extended Keyboard connected to my se and whenever I reboot or plug
anything into the adb ports I start getting a bunch of *'s printed out
on the screen.  Has any encountered this problem?

	Thanks,
		geoff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 88 13:42 EST
From: "Miami Hopper...I~)" <V087P945%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modula-2 compiler

hi,
        to the person who needed a modula-2 compiler:

i'm currently a student at SUNY Buffalo and i using a modula-2 compiler
for the Mac SE..It is sold by MetCom in Canada and works excellent..It is
a one-pass compiler and offers a built in debugger ( called the Examiner)
, will use the FPU68xxx if equiped, ram cache for increase performance,
will work for MAC II and a host of other features...If you can make
arrangements with your CS Dept. and MetCom, they will offer this compiler
for $50 excluding manual..This product is definitely worth investing in..

DISCLAIMER: I am just a lowly student so my opinions are my own !!!

                                Henry Hue
                                V087P945@ubvms.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 88 19:07:10 gmt
From: Stephen Page <sdpage%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: More about MacDraw II version 1.0v4

I followed up Paul Christensen's recent message (thanks!) about the
bugfix versionette of MacDraw II (what kind of number is 1.0v4??!) with
Claris, and I was interested to find out that this version should also
fix the failure of MacDraw II to do font substitution. (The released
version ignores the setting in the laserwriter dialogue box.)

Claris UK also hinted that the feature was "not implemented at first because
they thought no one used it". I was under the impression, to the contrary,
that the feature was a standard part of the interface. If Claris can't
build all the standard features, what hope is there for the rest of the
Mac world?

Still no news of distribution of the bugfix, though. Keep hassling
Claris, everyone, and don't forget to remind them that they should
contact US, not the other way around, when new releases are available.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Dec 88 18:32 MST
From: Friesen@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com
Subject: Printing extended ascii characters

Hello all, I am in the process of writing a program in Turbo pascal on
the Mac.

(I took one of those blow-off computer courses)

My program is due Monday, and I still cannot get it to print the
extended character set (I want to print the delta symbol and those nifty
little apples).  I am sending it to an image writerII, and using the
current system on a Mac Plus.  I'm using version 1.00A of Turbo pascal.
What it seems to do when I use the following line (which should print
the apples, but prints p's) is revert back to the normal characters
i.e., it prints the characters as if 128 was being subtracted from the
character's code that I put in.

writeln(printer,chr(240));

I have spent the last three days (my program is all done except for
this) searching through the reference material my proffesor has, but
that material is limited.

Could some kind soul please send me the info I need to print the apple
and delta symbols?

You can e-mail me at:

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

disclaimer:  Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but I am pressed for
time!

Aric Friesen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 16:19 EST
From: DGL%ALBION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Programs for French classes for Mac

I am interested in information on programs for Mac's which work for any level
French language or literature class.

If anyone knows of any program like this please send to this address:
dgl@albion.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 88 09:44:30 -0500
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Subject: Quality video output

We would like to use a MAC II to produce quality NTSC video output.  This
output will be fed into mixers and other video equipment to produce video
tapes.

We are looking for recommendations concerning an interface card and/or
software.  The person who will be doing the work isn't on the net, but
will be happy to phone anyone with experience.

Please reply to me directly; I'm not on this list.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Short e-mail address: abrams@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 16:55:12 CET
From: Guido Dilles <KAMBVL%BLEKUL13.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Securing an AppleShare server

We have a Mac II as an AppleShare server.  We want to prevent unauthorized
people from booting it up with their own floppies, thus allowing them to
view, and mess with, any information on the hard disks.

More specifically...
* We need the diskette drive for server management and backup routines
* Putting the server behind closed doors is not an option, but inside a metal
  cage might be...
* I've seen ads on "MacMuzzle", a strong metal band locking the diskette
  'door' of an SE.  Does such a thing exist for the Mac II ?
* Dynamically control the use of the diskette drive with a password ?
* Control access to the hard disks with a password for anyone except the
  AppleShare application itself ?

I would really appreciate any comments, experiences, tips, etc.

Guido DILLES                       University Psychiatric Centre St.-Kamillus
BITNET/EARN : KAMBVL@BLEKUL13.BITNET     Catholic University Leuven - Belgium
Acknowledge-To: <KAMBVL@BLEKUL13>

------------------------------

Date: Thu 1 Dec 88 22:22:43-EST
From: Betsy Ramsey <EWR@vax01.ams.com>
Subject: Wanted: 3-D Protein Analysis Program

I have a friend who is looking for a program for the MAC II that will
display amino acids three-dimensionally, allow the user to specify
changes to its structure, and redisplay the protein's changed
structure.  Does anyone have such a thing?  Please reply to me
directly at EWR@VAX01.AMS.COM (Internet) or RAMSEY@CUA (Bitnet).
Thanks.
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1988 22:10:29 PST
From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: Warning init available

I have written an init for use on Macintosh computers which checks for the
presence of the nVIR and Scores viruses each time you start the system. If it
finds an infected System, the user is presented with an alert which describes
the situation. One can Shut Down, Continue, or (eventually) Repair the disk.

The program is designed to be transparent in use so that it is suitable for
novice users. Just throw it in your System Folder and forget about it (unless
you have a virus, that is). It does not yet provide the same level of
protection as Vaccine, however. It is for those people who do not want to
deal with a more technical defense against viruses but who want some warning
before all their applications get infected.

I'll send it to whomever requests a copy.

Bill Lipa

Bitnet: lipa%polya@stanford
Arpanet: lipa@polya.stanford.edu

[Moderator's Note: Send it in, Bill.  I want a copy! --Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest