Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Lance Nakata & Jon Pugh) (12/12/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 11 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 107

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                    A Mac 512E Disk Drive Question
                           Color Quickdraw?
                Controlling macs in a lab enviroment.
                          Digitizer software
                      Disk Initialization icons
                Follow-Up Note on Erasable Disk Labels
                              Hard Disks
                         Hard disks for mac+
                     MacApp & MacII-only programs
                          Macintosh viruses
            Mac SCSI Hard Drives: List of Printed Reviews
                                 MPW
                       REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
                           System Defaults
                       Textbook-Pascal problem
                    voice synthesis systems query

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1988 21:31:25 PST
From: Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: Administrivia

Getting the new archive set up on the new SUMEX-AIM will take me longer
than I expected.  For now, all files still reside on
SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.  Please note that binaries sent long ago are
still waiting to be archived.  Sorry about that.  I will get to them and
probably start placing newer files on SUMEX-AIM and leave SUMEX-2060
alone.

I realize many of your are facing problems with Mac viruses.  Please
check RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU (128.83.144.1) for the latest virus-fighting
software available.  Werner Uhrig has done a great job at keeping his
archive up-to-date with that software, plus many other items.  You can
also check WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (26.0.0.74), where Robert Thum is
keeping his archive.  Both sites offer anonymous ftp access (account:
anonymous, password: guest).

For Bitnet users, please check MACSERVE@PUCC for the software.  If they
don't have all of it, it probably will appear soon.

Lance Nakata
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Wed 7 Dec 88 12:55:56-EST
From: Andy Braunstein <OA.ASB@xx.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: A Mac 512E Disk Drive Question

I thought one of you out there might be able to help me with this one.
Please reply to me directly.

I got hold of 2 Mac 512e's.  I replaced the internal floppy on one with
a new apple 800K drive (the old one was broke).  On the other, I added
an external drive from a third party.  Both machines, however, seem
to have the same problem in using 800K disks, so I don't think this is
a broken hardware problem.  Every so often, the mac trashes the Disk.
It usually starts by trashing the directory entries so that files/folders
disappear, but eventually, the whole disk is unreadable.  In many
cases, the disk have been unformatable after this (I am using high
quality Sony DS disks).  I have had these problems running several
different versions of the System (5.3, 5.4 and 6.0).  Does anyone
know of any reason why this might be happening and what to
do about it (short of spend hundreds in a repair shop that will tell
be I need new drives or something).  BTW - this happens using many
different applications, so I don't think it is a program bug.

Thanks for your help,
Andy Braunstein

other addresses:
	asb@athena.mit.edu
	asb@xx.lcs.mit.edu

-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Dec 88 15:30:46 EST
From: sbm@purdue.edu
Subject: Color Quickdraw?

     Where do I find out how to use color Quickdraw?

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET

[Moderator's Note: Volume 5 of Inside Mac!  --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7-DEC-1988 07:03:19.67 CST
From: <mark%untvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Controlling macs in a lab enviroment.

Hello all,
        I work in a lab here at UNT where we have 8 Mac IIs with programs
like Excel, MS Word, Turbo Pascal and Power Point.  The problem is that
there are a lot of people who change thset-up of the Mac or save their own
copyrighted programs on the hard disks.  I surely don't have to go through
the explination of why this is a administration headache.  The main problem
is the legalities of having copyrighted programs where they don't belong.
        My question is, are there any programs that will clean-up the hard
disk and reset the set-up upon booting the machine?  I may have to wright
a Turbo program to do it, but I would like  knonow of a publically available
programs to do it.  Thas.....

Mark Thacker                  Bitnet : MARK@UNTVAX or AC48@UNTVAX
Graphics Lab Consultant       THENET : NTVAXB::MARK  or NTVAXB::AC48
(and student of CSCI at)    Internet : MARK%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
The University of North Texas   SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::MARK

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Dec 88 17:08 N
From: <MLAMMI%FINKUO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Digitizer software

We are planning to purchase a digitizer in order to
measure certain structures from  electron microscopic
pictures. The problem is that we do not know what kind
of software there exists for digitizers. The requirements
are as follows:

1. We must be able to measure the lengths of irregularly
   curved lines, also area measurements would be nice, but
   not obligatory. Grey scales are not required.

2. Another possibility would be the use of video images,
   if only there is suitable equipment and application
   to work this way. We have video camera connected to
   our electron microscope.

Any suggestions or experience on such applications are
wellcome.

Mikko Lammi,
University of Kuopio,
Finland                       Bitnet: MLAMMI@FINKUO

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 88 09:56 EST
From: PCHRISTENSEN%ATL.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Disk Initialization icons

Where does the Disk Initialization Package get the icons it displays in
the disk formatting dialog boxes?  On a MacSE or MacII, if you format a
floppy disk, an icon appears to show you which drive it's in.

Since my MacII is floor-standing (using the Kensington hardware), I'd
like to patch the icons to properly match the drive's orientation. Since
I can't find them in the ROM or System file, I assume they must be in the
.Sony driver, since the hard disk icons are found in their respective
drivers.

Can anybody help me on this one?  Thanks in advance.

Paul Christensen

GE Aerospace/Advanced Technology Laboratories
Moorestown, NJ 08057

ARPAnet: PCHRISTENSEN%ATL.DECNET@GE-CRD.ARPA
ATTnet: (609)866-6623

As an aside, if you try to insert a format that can't be read in the
Apple CD SC drive, the Disk Initializtion Package asks you if you want
to format it, and displays an icon of a CD drive outside of a Mac!!!
How's that for read-only media :-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 19:36 CST
From: <RISTAU%ACUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Follow-Up Note on Erasable Disk Labels

Well things sure change fast......
I posted a note about an erasable label product recently.
The product is now available as: "CATES Erasable Labels".
Same source:
Cates & Co., PO Box 2761f, Abilene, Texas, 79604, Ph. 800-541-4351
Evidently the contents of the kit are totally unchanged...
just a new name.

For those who may have missed the earlier posting:
This nifty product is an erasable but PERMANENT disk label.  The kit
comes with pen, erasing fluid & pads (for deleting ALL previous
notation), a nifty eraser-pen (for revising a single line, letter or
word) and either 100 or 200 of the super-duper labels. The labels
are cleanly designed with two types to choose from.  The kit also
includes a couple of sheets of fat dots for those who require a color-
coding system.  Seems really well thought-out and has certainly
helped us eliminate part of the the labeling headache.  If you're
frequently revising the contents of floppies check it out.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 5 Dec 88 21:06:57-EST
From: "Rich DeJordy, x295" <RAD@vax01.ams.com>
Subject: Hard Disks

I have two questions for a friend of mine who is not on the network.

Could you please respond directly to me and I'll summarize to the list
if there's enough interest.

1)  They have a DataFrame 20 which they seem to be unable to make work on
	their MAC SE II (two internal floppy drives).  We think that maybe the
	problem is with contention for drive #s 0 and 1.

2)  They also have a Jasmin DirectDrive 140 and TOPS with a SHIVA netmodem.
	The NetModem allows them to dial up from a remote MAC running TOPS
	and Join the AppleTalk network.  They would like to be able to then
	conditionally Mount partitions on the DirectDrive 140.  Is there some
	utility out there which can do this (presumably by taking control of
	the MAC with the DirectDrive attached to it.)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rich DeJordy
RAD@MATH.AMS.COM
-------

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 88 16:25:59 PST (Thursday)
From: Carol_Kiparsky.Fremont@xerox.com
Subject: Hard disks for mac+

Having just acquired a mac+ we are now shopping for a hard disk.  The
choices are bewildering, and we would appreciate advice about the various
types.  For example, MacCrate puts out what seem to be reasonably priced
ones - 60 meg for about $800.  Do any of you know the pros and cons of
MacCrate drives?

		Carol & Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 Dec 88 12:43:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: MacApp & MacII-only programs

Hi MacApp/MPW Pascal folks,

I am developing a program using MacApp 1.1.1 under MPW Pascal 2.0.2,
and it desperately needs performance enhancement.  That is, in order to
be comparable in speed with its Sun-III version, I need to take advantage of
the MC68881.  Since the manual suggests consistent usage of 68881
throughout all code,I have attempted aliasing Pascal to include the compiler
options -MC68881 -MC68020 and -q Elems881=TRUE recompiling MacApp
and all 12 modules of my program and linking in SANE881.p.o.  However, I
have been quite unable to determine whether and how aliasing or
embedding the compiler options, linking SANE881 are having an effect on the
debug version.  According to the manual, Extendeds become 96 bits wide, and
while the compiler doesn't complain, SANE881.p.o seems to expect 96 bit
Ext while I discover my code has and SANE trashes what really seem to be
80 bit Ext's.  In effect, the debug compilation doesn't appear to observe
the 68881 option and the stack crawl and like debugging features become
massively confused before a single line of my code is executed.

Can anybody explain the role of these compiler options with MacApp, for
instance whether MacApp is overriding my compiler options or aliasing and
the role of SANE881.p.o in all of this too?  I need speed in computations...

If I could pin down say half a dozen procedures that need speed, can
anybody show me how to conditionally use the 881 if it's there?  Should I
put these procs in their own file, pass Reals, and compile for the 68881?

I would appreciate any spec of enlightenment in this matter.  - Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 88 11:04:06 EST
From: Kathy DuBose <DUBOSE%AKRONVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.Edu>
Subject: Macintosh viruses

Hello,

I am an Academic Programmer at the University of Akron, Ohio.  I am
interested in obtaining more information about viruses and the
Macintosh.  I know that this is a fairly general request -- but I don't
have any specific questions.

We have experienced viruses on the Macintosh, but have not been able to
detect what they are nor do we have any vaccines for them.  So I would
like any and all information relating to viruses and vaccines that are
available.

I would guess that there are several vaccines available as public domain
and I would like information about them.  However, I have a user who
would like to purchase a vaccine (to insure integrity, etc.) so if
anyone has any information about vaccines available for purchase I would
like that also.

I am not on this list so any reponses can be sent to my E-Mail address:

DUBOSE@AKRONVM

Thank you,

Kathy DuBose
The University of Akron

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 88 12:02 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac SCSI Hard Drives: List of Printed Reviews

        There seem to have been several requests for information on
Macintosh hard disk drives lately.  Here is a compilation of all
the printed info that I know about.  All articles are in MacUser.

        Apple HD-20SC           Feb. '87
        GCC FX-20               Feb. '87
        Jasmine DD50            Mar. '88
        MacBottom 45 SCSI       Oct. '87
        MacBottom HD21          Feb. '87
        MacCrate 60MB           Nov. '88

        There is also a MacUser Labs report on BIG (100+ Meg) hard disks
in the June 1988 issue.

        This reporter's opinion from reading these articles:

                the Mac Crate looks REAL nice.

More when I get mine.

                                    Jeff Templon
                        Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Dec 88 13:09:53 EST
From: IO60039%MAINE.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.Edu (Michael Breton)
Subject: MPW

I don't want to sound like I don't know anything...but...

What is MPW???  I know it stand for Macintosh Programmers Workshop..but
not what it is for...

[Moderator's Note:  It's for programming.  snicker snicker
Actually it is a Unix-like shell.  Command lines and power.
It's not quite as easy as the Lightspeed shells, but it's
much more flexible.  --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Dec 88 10:54 EST
From: <TINA%FANDM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I am interested in finding out if a particular kind of software is available.
The software should perform incremental backups from a hard disk through
PacerShare to the VAX.

If anyone has an idea that this software exists, please send mail directly
to me since I do not subscribe to any lists.

Thank you,

Tina Tuscano
Tina@FandM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 16:37 UT+1
From: "Roger Marks, MARKS@HDETUD53.bitnet" <MARKS%HDETUD53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: System Defaults

Can someone tell me where to locate the default control-panel parameters?
That is, if you boot a Mac with a dead battery, so that the parameter RAM
isn't set, you get default values for things like keyboard repeat rate and
bell volume.  Well, what if you have a chronically dead battery and don't
want to always adjust these parameters after you boot?  Seems like there must
be defaults stored somewhere.  Maybe in ROM.  But, if they are stored
somewhere in the System file, you ought to be able to get at them with
ResEdit, I would think.  I just haven't been able to locate anything.

Thanks,

Roger
MARKS@HDETUD53  (Technical University of Delft, The Netherlands)

------------------------------

Date: 05 Dec 88 10:36:11 EDT
From: Ernst Niggli <ENIGGLI%UMAB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Textbook-Pascal problem

From: Ernst Niggli (ENIGGLI@UMAB.BITNET)

I AN TRYING TO PORT A PASCAL PROGRAM TO THE MAC. IT IS WRITTEN IN
TurboPascal for the IBM/PC. For the first tests, I would like to run
the ported software as a textbook-application, without the Mac
user interface. In an attempt to do so, I ran in a couple of
ANTICIPATED PROBLEMS. MOST OF THESE ARE NOW SOLVED, THE PROGRAM
compiles and runs nicely, but produces incorrect values. The problem
seems to arise from some incorrect access of variables
(elements of an array of type extended) during different
assignment statements.

Below is a short example listing. The writeln-statements print the
correct values of the variables. The assignment statement produces an
incorrect result. If values instead of the variables are substituted
in the same assignment statement, the correct result is calculated.
The critical variables are yx, elements of an array of type extended.
One of these variables seems to be accessed incorrectly.
All variables are of type extended (not the array index).

 Writeln(Y1);   { Prints correct value }
 Writeln(EMH);    { Prints correct value }
 Writeln(GNA);    { Prints correct value }
 Writeln(Y9);   { Prints correct value }
 Writeln(Y10);  { Prints correct value }

 INA:=(Y1-EMH)*GNA*Y9*(Y10*Y10*Y10);{ Incorrect result }

 INA:=(80.0-50.0)*0.5*0.3*(0.2*0.2*0.2); { Produces correct result }

I am using TML-Pascal II under MPW on a MacSE.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong, but I don know what. Any help and
suggestions would be appreciated.

                                                Ernst

Ernst Niggli
Department of Physiology
University of Maryland
660 W. Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

BITNET:  ENIGGLI@UMAB

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 88 12:19:45 PST (Tuesday)
From: "Donald_T.C._Sun.WBST129"@xerox.com
Subject: voice synthesis systems query

Hi folks,

I am interested in obtaining any information I can on an inexpensive voice
synthesis system for a friend who has lost his ability to speak.  Any
information on hardware/software for a complete system would be
appreciated.  My requirements are quite simple.  One, quality speech.  Two,
an efficient method of text input.  Three, reasonable cost.  A compact,
portable system would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

internet/bitnet: sun.wbst129@xerox.com
uucp: ...!{amd|hplabs|ihnp4|rochester|seismo}!parcvax!Sun.wbst129

End of Info-Mac Digest