Date: Sun, 11 Dec 88 17:40:45 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Administrivia

Well, I have several things to say here.

First of all, Happy Holidays to all of you.  Since it is a time of gathering
with one's families, Lance and I are going to be away for a while, so expect
a couple of digests next week and then some in the beginning of January.  Of
course, our irregularity has already weeded out the people who think we
should be faster about all of this...

Second, MacWorld is January 20, 21, & 22 and approaching soon.  I will be
working (that's a euphemism) in the A32 user group booth, which will be in
Brooks hall, booth 5338. Come by and say hello.

Third, that means it is time for the bi-annual netter's dinner.  It will be
Friday or Saturday at the same wonderful Hunan place it has been the last two
years which is within walking distance of the Moscone Center.  Send me your
RSVPs and your vote for which day so I can get the reservations in.  I'm
going to make the reservations on the 6th of January, so send me mail soon.

Once again, Happy Holidays to you and your kin.

Jon

      N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
       M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
        F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
         E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
          C                           Livermore, California 94550
           C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 10 Dec 88 11:21:00 CST
From: hacke@mdc.com
Subject: AppleTalk/Ethernet Bridge

Does anyone know of a software product that will allow a Mac II (or SE) to
be used as a bridge between and AppleTalk LocalTalk wired network and an
Ethernet.   We have several users who don't need the throughput of a
Kinetics FP (or the expense).  But, they do need to get some of their other
Macs onto the Ethernet occasionally.  They have one Mac with a Ethernet
card and a connection to LocalTalk.  So, this Mac could be used as
a bridge.  It would be nice is a bridge program could run on the Mac in
background!  It could even be set as the start-up program under multifinder.

Keith Hacke
314-895-5343
hacke@mdc.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 10:58 EST
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@wpafb-aamrl.arpa:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: BINHEX5.BAS not working

I just downloaded BINHEX5.BAS to my VAX and then transferred it to my MAC II
with MS BASIC.  The program compiles ok but when I activate it, it complains
the down load was bad. I tried it twice.

Can someone send me a good copy (or tell me where I can get a good copy).
There looks to be a lot of good material out there, but a lot of it is in
BINHEX format, and I need the tool to translate back.

Since I am new to the MAC world and the archives (even though I am learnbing
very fast), I was wondering if anyone has a list of the known virus containing
programs?  I have been reading up a lot on viruses lately and I would like to
get has much protection as possible, starting with avoiding the known problem
programs.

|                M. Edward (Ted) Nieland - Systems Analyst                     |
| US Snail:                            | Arpa Internet:                        |
| Systems Research Laboratories, Inc.  | TNIELAND@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA             |
| 2800 Indian Ripple Road   WP 196     | TNIELAND%FALCON@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA      |
| Dayton, OH  45440                    |                                       |
| A T & T:  (513) 255-8846/8760/5165                                           |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 88 07:59:08 PST
From: TOLLIVER%ATF.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Chooser and Page Setup question

Under MultiFinder, using Chooser to switch from a LaserWriter to an
AppleTalk ImageWriter, one obtains an alert that says,"Be sure to choose
Page Setup and confirm the settings so that the application can format
documents correctly for the AppleTalk ImageWriter."  A similar alert
appears when switching from ImageWriter to LaserWriter.  However, under
uni-Finder (or whatever it's called) no such alert appears when switching
printers.  WHY NOT?  When is it important to actually bother with Page
Setup?  In practice it often (always?) seems to not matter -- at least for
the applications and printing I tend to do.  In fact, some applications
even seem to know that I haven't done Page Setup and call it for me when
printing the first time after "Choosering" a different printer.  Where is
the Page Setup information actually kept?  In the resource fork of a
document, in the application, or in the System somewhere?  Why should it
matter more to do Page Setup after switching printers under MultiFinder
than under uni-Finder?  Is it really necessary under MultiFinder?  Is it
really UNnecessary under uni-Finder?  Or is the alert just missing in
uni-Finder somehow?  This is System 6.0.2, by the way.  But I am 99% sure
that the same behavior existed with System 5.0.  I can imagine that it is
possible that something important regarding Chooser and Page Setup
information happens at application start-up that would be missed by an
application already running under MultiFinder.  But what?  Even under
uni-Finder, you can always change the printer in the middle of an
already-started application since Chooser is a DA.

Thanks,
John Tolliver (Tolliver%atf.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa)

P.S. If DA's really disappear in System 8.0 (see Mac the Knife, Dec. 6) I
wonder how printers will be chosen.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 88 10:32 EST
From: PCHRISTENSEN%ATL.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Color Bitmap formats/programs

What is the best format for storing color bitmaps on the MacII?  I've been
using PixelPaint's native format, but I discovered that its compression
algorithm is absolutely horrible!  A simple file consisting of only a small
patterned blue box is 146K!!!  With Stuffit, you can almost always compress
a PixelPaint file by over 85%!

Storing in PICT2 format creates much more compact files (171K vs. 273K, for
example). Also, PixelPaint reads and saves PICT2 files almost instantly, while
it can take "all day" to read and save its native format files.  But there are
two problems with PICT2 format. The most obvious is its apparent 512x512 pixel
size. (Why???...I can exchange larger color bitmaps via the clipboard!)  The
second is that no color lookup tables seem to be saved with PICT2 files, so
you must rely on a constant System CLUT. (Am I right???)

Does anyone know of a good alternative to PICT2 without the limitations?
Would you recommend the .GIF format?  I know it uses compression, but really
isn't a *Mac* standard.  Also, I'm not familiar with its limitations or
the ability to translate large files to GIF format.

How about alternatives to PixelPaint, like Canvas, Studio/8, GraphistPaintII?
How do their file compressions/load & save times compare to PixelPaint and
PICT2 format?  I'm more interested in file access/size than interchange
capability with other programs. After all, if I own the program I can always
export portions of the files in PICT2 format for exchange.

Also, can any of the color paint programs paste/make selections greater than
the window size?  This is a really annoying drawback of PixelPaint.

Thanks in advance...

Paul Christensen

GE Aerospace/Advanced Technology Laboratories
Moorestown, NJ 08057

ARPAnet: PCHRISTENSEN%ATL.DECNET@GE-CRD.ARPA
ATTnet: (609)866-6623

------------------------------

Date: 9 Dec 88 15:15 EST
From: PCHRISTENSEN%ATL.decnet@ge-crd.arpa

Well, after some guidance from David Fry at Harvard (thanks Dave!), I
played around some more with PixelPaint.

I discovered that the apparent "limitation" of PICT2 files to 512x512
was not in the file format, but rather in PixelPaint's memory usage on a
2MB machine.  When I did the same thing on the 5MB MacII's here at work,
I was successfully able to save very large PICT2 files.

Also, David informed me that color lookup tables ARE saved in PICT2
format, but that not all programs use them.

Given the size of PICT2 files and the speed of loading/saving PICT2
documents, I think I'm going to use that format from now on instead of
PixelPaint's native file format!!!

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 13:42 CST
From: MARK@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Subject: Default colors, GIF readers and pictures

HEllo all,
	Currently, I using a program called "Giffer" to read the GIF files
that you can obtain from Stanford and Compuserve.  The problem is that it
does not clean up its memory well and has the  nasty tendency to crash after
about 6 pictures or so (we have 2 meg on the Mac II).  Is there any other
GIF reader for the II?   Where else can I get GIF files from on the various
networks?  (All of the Mac file servers have the same GIFs).

	Along the same lines, how do you change the standard pallete so
that the files that I save as "DeskPicture" will come up with the proper
pallete when I use them as desk-top pictures?   Are there any graphics viewers
that will read (and hopefully edit) TIFF files?  If so, tell me about 'em.

	What about the Venus fly-trap ("SuperDrive")?  We have one, but
it no longer works.  It won't even work as aregular drive any more.

Thanks for the help..... please reply to me directly and I will sumarize
should the be enough responses.

Mark Thacker

Mark Thacker                  Bitnet : MARK@UNTVAX or AC48@UNTVAX
Graphics Lab Consultant       THENET : NTVAXB::MARK  or NTVAXB::AC48
(and student of CSCI at)    Internet : MARK%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
The University of North Texas   SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::MARK

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 88 06:30 CST
From: <MBENSMAN%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help with Lisa Problem

I have just gained access to a Lisa/with 5 mg. Profile external hard disk.
My department is not willing to buy me a Mac for my office, but will let
me use the Lisa (which I can make into a MacXL, I thought!)
No sucess in attempting to make it into a MacXL.  Advice?
I load MacWorks (Version 3) and get the Mac startup screen.
I then load MacXL System Disc and get the desktop with system folder.
I then select Hard Disc Install.
It then asks to erase the Profile Hard Disk (1 min. 50 sec.); and then
requests the Mac XL disk.  I put in the MacWorks Disc and it says it is
reading it.  Almost immediately thereafter it says "Unable to read...".
That is as far as I can get.  I went to two dealers in town and had
the MacWorks and MacXLSys discs copied over.  As Lisa people know,
the MacWorks program was written by some strange machine and neither the
Mac nor Lisa can read the disc.  I have looked at the program using Fedit,
but that is all.  I have attempted to find someone with a Lisa so I might
use their machine to see if I can upload the program, assuming that it
might be a disc drive problem, but have had no luck.  I am awaiting a
catalog from Sun ReMarketing, which deals in Lisa software and hardware
but; Does anyone have any specific knowledge of what I can do to get the
Profile initialized and get a copy of the ROM onto it so that it will be
recognized and I can then load the system folder onto it? I have a feeling
that the MacWorks disc is just not working right as I do have some
difficulty in getting the Lisa to read it initially when first starting
up.  Please contact me at my mail address.  MBensman @ UTMem1

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 88 11:22:26 EST
From: Jim Sanborn <sanborn@brillig.umd.edu>
Subject: Lispm/Unix/Mac-in-a-box?

Happy Holidays!

Indeed, I'm hoping it will be, as I'm trying to swing the purchase of a
micro-Explorer (uExp)!  (Not *personally*, of course ;-)).  This seems like
an ideal setup to me; the ExpII is the nicest Lispm I've worked on, and the
Mac is great for graphics/text processing.  If Apple gets its act together
w.r.t. A/UX (or whatever they're calling their Unix(tm) system), it seems
like one could put together a fairly complete work environment on a single
Mac platform.

Which brings me to my question:  What hardware configurations are people
using for uExp's and/or Mac A/UX systems?  Does anyone out there have a
complete Mac/Unix/Lispm environment up, running, and useful on the Mac?
I know a fair bit about the Mac and uExp configurations, so what I'm after
is a "wish list" for a complete environment.  Please email a description,
of whatever useful advice you may have on putting together such a system,
to me via the addresses below.  In the spirit of the season, I'll summarize
your wishes and followup with whatever the definitive configuration(s)
appear(s) to be!

					-Jim Sanborn

  Internet: sanborn@brillig.umd.edu	    Computer Science Dept.
    Usenet: ...!uunet!mimsy!sanborn	    University of Maryland
     Phone: (301)454-1564,2002		    College Park, MD 20742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 19:36:32 EST
From: David_S._Allan@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: PRAM Fix

I installed an init called PRAM fix in my system folder when I was
running System Upgrade 5.0 on my Mac II.  Is this fix still necessary
under System 6.0.2?

David_Allan@ub.cc.umich.edu

[Moderator's Note:  The release notes for 6.0 said that this was fixed. --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 20:02 MST
From: Friesen@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com
Subject: Printing extended characters

Hello all

I am in one of those Pascal courses, and would like to get some browny
points (the professor gives extra credit for creativity).

What I would like to do is to print the little bunny that is in the
character set of the Geneva font.  It takes place of the apostraphe key
in the alternate character set.  I am using turbo pascal and an image
writerII hooked up through appletalk.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
            thanks in advance.

  * *  *  *** *** * *   * * *** *   *** **   *  * *  **
  *** *** *** ***  *    *** * * *    *  * * ***  *   *
  * * * * *   *    *    * * *** *** *** **  * *  *  **

Aric Friesen

You can E-mail me at

    ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA or Just Post to the net!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 88 18:33 EST
From: Gegel@dockmaster.arpa
Subject: Railroad Software

          I apologize for the delay in sending out this response.  I
recieved mail from about 5 people, and all of them suggested that  I check
out the same program.  The program is called "MacInooga Choo-Choo".  It is
available from.

          Abracadata
          Box 2440, Dept. M
          Eugene, OR 97402
          (503)342-3030

It costs $49.95 + 3.55 shipping

The program is not really meant to be used to design a model railroad, but
to simulate a railroad on the screen of your Macintosh.  The program
allows you to lay out track, import scenery from MacWrite, and then run
imaginary trains on the track.  The program supports many track shapes
and sizes, but does not suggest that they are the same as, or similar to the
track shapes and sizes need to lay out a model railroad.

          I have not yet bought this software, but when and if I do, I will
send out a note, letting all of you know if this is really useful.

          I'd like to thank all of the people that sent me responses.

                                        Larry Gegel,

                                  Gegel@DOCKMASTER.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 14:46 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: System 6.0.2 bug

System 6.0.2 appears to have a bug which allows the trashing of one file to
cause other files of the same name, but in a different folder, to be trashed
as well.  This bug may also beset previous system versions; I have not
done any futher experimentation.

Here, then, is the situation in which the bug occurred:

1.  A copy of Vaccine is already in the System folder (and in use).
2.  MacTerminal and Binhex reside in a folder called "Terminal"
3.  Download a copy of Vaccine.hqx from MacServe, placing the file in Terminal
4.  Run Binhex and save the resulting file as Vaccine also in folder Terminal.
5.  Drag this copy of Vaccine into the Trash and "Empty Trash".
6.  Restart machine.
7.  Now note that the copy of Vaccine originally in the System folder is no
      longer there.  Neither is the copy in the Terminal folder.

One would suppose the same phenomenon could happen in other situations, but
I have not experimented to see how to simplify the set of cirumstances.

The particulars:  MacII, 5/40, System 6.0.2 upgrade all 'round, RAM cache off

I have not checked to see if this happens on other machines.  I have duplicated
it on my machine twice.

This is a bit disturbing.

david a. belsley
boston college          belsley@bcvms.bitnet