Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/18/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 17 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 111

Today's Topics:
                          Adobe screen fonts
                         ASCII printer driver
                           Dir-Acta-Ry APPL
                             Facade INIT
               latest SUM-patches available on RASCAL
                             MacEnvy CDEV
        PatDocProc - document window defproc with new features
                           Tattle Tale INIT
                                upload
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #126
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #127
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #128
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #129

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 13:20 CET
From: Anders Liljegren <TEKAL%SEUDAC21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Adobe screen fonts

Hello everyone|

At our department we have recently bought a program for writing
mathematical formulas. It's called "Expressionist" and we are very
satisfied with it. There is only one small problem. The company
selling Expressionist, "allan bonadio associates" in CA, recomends
strongly that you use the Adobe improved versions of the Mac screen
fonts (times and symbol) in order to get a perfect result.
But I have not been able to find these fonts here in Sweden.
Does anyone know how to get hold of them?
It is said that you can get them free from "CompuServe". What is that?
Is it, as the name implies, some sort of server on a computer somewhere?
And how do you in that case come in contact with it?

Anders Liljegren, a frustrated perfectionist.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 06:45:46 ITA
From: Cristina Tozzi <CRISTINA%IRMIAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ASCII printer driver

I'm looking for a Chooser printer driver to print on an ASCII printer.
The printer is used only to print program listings and has no graphics.

Any help welcome.
Thanks.
Cristina.
cristina@irmias.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 16:35 +0200
From: mcvax!kom.komunity.se!Ian_Feldman_randomCyklist@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Dir-Acta-Ry APPL

   I'd like to confirm whether there exists a _proper_ version
of this small gem of an utility (creates structured Acta-format
disk catalogues) for the Mac: the one I have is named "version 0.3
prerelease", dates from 1986 and has two much-needed cataloging
options (by-size and by-mod.date) still disabled. Please advise also
about possible sources of acquisition, if in existence.

   Reply to: Ian_Feldman@kom.komunity.se       (thanx in advance)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 88 12:58:20 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Facade INIT

This is Facade (a.k.a. FaceLift Plus), an INIT written by Greg Marriot.
Facade permits you to give a unique, customizable icon to each of your
disk or tape volumes: hard disks, floppy disks, AppleShare volumes, etc.
may each have their own icon.

Instructions are included.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-FACADE.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1988 17:12:11 CDT
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: latest SUM-patches available on RASCAL

I just received the latest (and, hopefully, LAST) updated INITs of SUM, i.e.

	HD Partition INIT	Version 1.02	mod-date Sep 23, 11:45

	Shield INIT		version 1.02	mod-date Sep 26, 8:47

and made them available for FTP from RASCAL in file

		mac/BRAND-NEW/SUM-1pt02.sit_hqx

I don't know more and offer no guarantees ...

I will also send them to the archives at SUMEX and SIMTEL20 but, at this
point, am not in favor of distributing it on comp.binaries.mac.

I will, however, email them on request to people without FTP-ability.

Remember, this file is only useful to people who have purchased SUM!

		Cheers,		---Werner

PS: thank you, Chuq

--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu     (Internet # 128.83.144.1)
     or:	  werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu
UUCP:        .....!cs.utexas.edu!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
ALTERNATIVE:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu   OR    werner@utastro.UUCP

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-SUM-102.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 88 13:01:06 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: MacEnvy CDEV

This posting contains MacEnvy, a control-panel device (CDEV) written by
Ken McLeod.  MacEnvy displays information about your Mac's environment:
model, memory size, coprocessor type, ROM size and version, AppleTalk
status, Finder and System version numbers, and other good stuff.  It also
has a small game of Life built in, for your casual amusement.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>CDEV-MACENVY.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 88 15:22 MET
From: Thomas Fruin <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: PatDocProc - document window defproc with new features

Some time ago there was a need in our department for a window definition
function that did some things differently than Apple Computer's standard
WDEFs.  I decided to write one of my own, and started out by translating
the assembly language source of Apple's standard WDEF, wProcAsm.a (which
I got from AppleLink).

I noticed from the source that WDEF 0 does a lot,so as I was translating
I added _lots_ of comments and documentation.  In the meantime, I incor-
porated some new features.

The result is PatDocProc,a window definition procedure almost completely
compatible with Apple's standard WDEF 0.  "Almost",  because  PatDocProc
_only_ supports document windows (not dialogs), and does  _not_  support
color windows. I just didn't have the time to build it in, but you could
add it easily from Apple's assembly source.

PatDocProc adds the following new features to windows:

1) You can specify your own pattern to paint the title bar with.  The
   standard pattern is the 'horizontal lines' pattern,but you can now
   choose any funky pattern you like for your windows.

2) If the length of the title is zero,  there won't be a white gap in
   the middle of the title bar any more, but it  will  be  completely
   filled.  Because windows without titles _do_ exist.

3) Windows have a true shadow again on the Mac II ( Apple ripped this
   feature out back when the II appeared ). However, dragging is much
   slower this way in 8 bit color mode, so  we  conclude  that  Apple
   really does these things for a reason.  You can take it out if you
   don't like it ...

4) Finally,you can tell the WDEF what scroll bar outlines to draw and
   which ones not to draw for DrawGrowIcon  and  GrowWindow.  Suppose
   you have a window with only one scroll bar, like Acta.  PatDocProc
   lets you specify you don't want the horizontal scroll bar to  show
   during resizing.

5) All of PatDocProc's features are accessible by changing  the  WIND
   resource describing a window.  This means that you  can  customize
   existing applications (besides using PatDocProc in the ones  which
   you have programmed yourself).

Although PatDocProc is reasonably well  debugged,  there  is  still  some
weird behaviour with some programs.   I've traced and traced, but haven't
been able to locate all the bugs.  And since I have run out of time to do
the rest of the debugging myself, I thought I would let the net do it  :)
In the meantime it's a nice example of how to write WDEFs,for those of us
that can't read assembly.  Have fun!

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                          University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                           University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet (MacSaga Motherboard)       The Netherlands

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>WDEF-PATDOCPROC.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 88 13:23:08 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Tattle Tale INIT

This is Tattle Tale, an INIT written by Bob Hablutzel.  Tattle Tale
writes a log file that records all of the INITs executed during
your Mac's boot sequence.  For each INIT, Tattle Tale records the
filename, the INIT name, the amount of above-BufPtr memory acquired
by the INIT, the amount of time used by the INIT, and a flag indicating
whether the INIT has locked itself into the system heap.

Tattle Tale is shareware;  a contribution of $5 is suggested.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-TATTLETALE.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 88 11:46 EST
From: MIKEORO@prism.clemson.edu
Subject: upload

This program is a shareware text file concatenator.
written by michael o'rourke, version 1.0 pre-release

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TEXT-CONCATENATOR.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 26 Sep 88 09:01:57-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #126

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 24, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:
     Re: Apple Gets Greedier; Hmmmmmmm.
     Rodime disks are tough! (and a warning about carry bags)
     Re: SuperMac tape backup drives
     Re: A plot against IBM?
     Macintosh Ada Compilers - Survey Results (LONG)
     Re: EXCEL LOG10 Error on MAC II
     Multiprocessor Add-ins for MACII
     viruses & public mac clusters - followup
     Addendum to Mac Expo Report (part 2 of ?)- Networking & Communications
     prog'ers extender, etc
     Re: Multiprocessor Add-ins for MACII
     Need IBM 3270 Emulator for the Mac...
     transputers products for Mac II
     Macwrite default font
     Color Dialog with Absoft Fortran
     SCSI Cables and Terminators
     Stereo sounds playing
     LSC 3.0 critique (long)
     C++, A/UX, and Mac OS

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-126.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 26 Sep 88 09:03:07-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #127

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 24, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 127

Today's Topics:
     Re: LSC 3.0 gripe
     Palette Manager and offscreen pixmaps
     Sending PostScript to the Laserwriter loses.
     Color Programming Question (optimization)
     Hiliting inactive controls (statText in dialog)
     Re: C++, A/UX, and Mac OS (2 messages)
     Sound on a Plus (2 messages)
     Re: Is there a MacPlus Keyboard with a Control Key?
     French Font needed
     Sneak?
     Re: HD Partition INIT-How does it work?
     RasterOps
     Re: transputers products for Mac II
     Re: SCSI Cables and Terminators
     Re: SIMM pinout
     Finder I-Beam
     Re: NuBus interrupts - how long of pulse?
     Re: Multiprocessor Add-ins for MACII
     Need advice for quiet Mac SE fan
     A/UX driver for CMS tape drive
     Re: LSC 3.0 critique (long)
     Re: Hiliting inactive controls (statText in dialog) (2 messages)
     Tty mailer.
     Re: Non-Apple HDs for A/UX
     Minor Finder Bug
     Hanzi Talk
     Re: Is there a PostScript->QuickDraw Application?
     KMAP,INTL, Desk Manager and Startprog HELP wanted
     MAC <-> VMS Again (Alisa Systems in particular)
     LSC

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-127.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 26 Sep 88 09:04:38-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #128

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 24, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 128

Today's Topics:
     Imagewriter II overseas
     McSink Registered Owners, take note
     Audio digitizer with programmer's interface?
     Word 3.02 outline printing bug?
     Jam Session on the Mac II:   WARNING!!!
     abaton 300 scanner?
     Re: SuperMac tape backup drives
     Re: Addendum to Mac Expo Report (part 2 of ?)- Networking & Communications
     Re: Need IBM 3270 Emulator for the Mac...
     Virii at the U of I
     Re: abaton 300 scanner?
     Great service from CMS for my PRO-140 disk drive
     Changes in 4D V2.0 ? (2 messages)
     Re: Macwrite default font
     Connection to Wang VS?
     Re: French Font needed
     Netserial?
     Hard disk inquiry - Summary of responses (long)
     Re: Finder I-Beam
     Re: RasterOps
     SCSI to ST-506 (revisited)
     Arabic font for Mac

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-128.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 26 Sep 88 09:06:38-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #129

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, September 24, 1988  Volume 4 : Issue 129

Today's Topics:
     Re: IBM's NeXT User Interface
     Mac PICT -> Versatec
     QUED/M Macro Emulations of VAX/VMS EDT/EVE wanted.
     Prolog on a Macintosh
     New Minor Finder Bug
     card readers/Laserwriters
     Re: New Minor Finder Bug
     Make Life Easier with the Control Panel and CDEVs
     MasterJuggler
     Re: Make Life Easier with the Control Panel and CDEVs
     Is run-length compression possible in PostScript?
     Re: transputers products for Mac II
     Unix-compatible 'make' for the Mac?
     Re: Pascal compilers
     MacApp and the Control Manager (2 messages)
     Re: LSC patch
     Aztec C 3.6c bargain. (2 messages)
     Re: LSC patch
     NuBus interrupt routine
     Re: Dialogs in INITS (LSC3)
     Displaying MacPaint Sized Bitmaps in Hypercard
     Help with network init
     A/UX multiuser performance
     Re: Tty mailer.
     Repartition A/UX disk?

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-129.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest