Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/19/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 18 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 112

Today's Topics:
                     CODE Unlocker desk accessory
                       Delphi Mac Digest V4 #18
                           Going to Germany
         here comes nVir fighting program "Antipan.sit_hqx"
                     I want Asynch Disk I/O !.sit
                  Monaco Font Fix (new and improved)
                   New Apple Technotes (TN 211-216)
                        QuikErase Disk Eraser
                         ToMultiFinder2.Hqx
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #130
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #131
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #132
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #133
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #136
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #137

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 88 11:08:36 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: CODE Unlocker desk accessory

This posting contains CODE Unlocker, a desk accessory that can set or
reset the "locked" bit on CODE resources in an application.  It was
written for developers coding in LightSpeed C, but can be used with
other development systems or even without a development system (i.e., on
completed commercial applications) if necessary.

The original version of the Segment Loader (in the 128k and 512k Macs)
required that all CODE resources be locked in the application file, thus
ensuring that the program's code would not move around in memory during
execution (and hence invalidating jump-table addresses and stack-return
addresses).  This scheme tended to cause some severe heap-fragmentation
problems, because code (once loaded) could never be relocated when the
Memory Manager tried to compact the heap.

In the 128k and 256k ROMs (and in 64k-ROM systems equipped with a patch
to the Segment Loader), most CODE resources can and should be marked as
"unlocked" in the application resource file.  The new Segment Loader
will read the CODE resources into memory, move them to the top of the
heap, and lock them there... thus keeping them out of the middle of the
heap and reducing the chances of heap fragmentation.

Some development systems permit the programmer to specify whether CODE
resources should be placed in the application file in "locked" or
"unlocked" form.  Unfortunately, LightSpeed C does not: all CODE
resources are marked "lock", thus ensuring maximum compatibility with
all Macs but leaving the application vulnerable to heap fragmentation.

The CODE Unlocker desk accessory can be used to set (lock) or reset
(unlock) the lock bits on the CODE resources in an application.  It
follows the rules in Inside Mac: the main CODE resource is not unlocked.

If you're developing an application that you _know_ will never need to
run on a 128k or 512k Mac that might not have the Segment Loader patch,
then you can use CODE Unlocker to turn off the "lock" bits in the
application file... it's much quicker and more convenient than doing so
with ResEdit.

Note: if you've been a cautious person and installed Vaccine on your
Mac, CODE Unlocker will trigger Vaccine alerts each time it attempts to
lock or unlock a CODE resource... just as LightSpeed C does when it
writes new CODE resources into an application you're linking.  CODE
Unlocker does _not_ add new CODE resources or modify the ones in the
file... it simply twiddles the lock bit.

CODE Unlocker is "freeware": feel free to use it, pass it around, etc.
It's based on the "Generic DA" shell written by David HM Spector.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-CODE-UNLOCKER.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Oct 88 08:23:58-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #18

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, October 3, 1988        Volume 4 : Issue 18

Today's Topics:
     RE: New Jasmine Drives, Tape Drive (6 messages)
     beginning MIDI (2 messages)
     CAD PROGRAM (5 messages)
     re: Finder I-Beam
     Math query (5 messages)
     Will Writing program for the Mac (2 messages)
     HP DeskJet
     RE: Graphics windows

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-18.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 88 13:15:49 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Going to Germany

Good morning, Mr Phelps,
  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to provide some
information on transporting a Mac+ w/hard disk, purchased in the US, to
Germany. A US Army Captain, who works in my group, will be rotated out of
here this coming summer, probably to West Germany. What does he need to do,
so his 120V, 60Hzj mac & hard disk will work OK over there. The thing I'm
particularly worried about is the drive motor for the HD, and how it would
respond to 50Hz line power. Please email to me. If there's a large response,
I'll "summarize to the net".

tom c

                  Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch
         US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                       Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
                          ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa
                UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 08:09:45 NZS
From: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley)
Subject: here comes nVir fighting program "Antipan.sit_hqx"
I enclose, to add to your
collection another program written by a local (if you call someone who lives
500 miles away from my site a local) to deal with the nVIR virus.

regards

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>VIRUS-ANTIPAN.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 88 04:18:38 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: I want Asynch Disk I/O !.sit

Here is the .sit file for my posting to info-mac.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-ASYNCH-DISK-IO.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 88 10:56:59 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Monaco Font Fix (new and improved)

Well, I liked the Monaco font that was posted so much better than
the one built into the Mac II and the Apple System that I placed
it on all my machines.  Unfortunately, it had one small problem.
No Registered or Copyright symbols.  As all of you MPW hacks out
there know, the Registered symbol is very important, so I
patched it and the Copyright symbol into the Monaco font fix and
am reposting it.  Have fun!

Jon

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MONACO-FONT-FIX.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 88 10:58:59 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@ardec.arpa>
Subject: New Apple Technotes (TN 211-216)

Here are copies of the new Technotes from Apple. Please
note that several previous notes were revised and these
are NOT included here.

211 Palette Manager Changes
212 Joy of 32-Bit Clean
213 StripAddress
214 New Resource Mgr Calls
215 RNewS cdev Messages
216 AppleShare Limits

Ken

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>TN211-216.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 8:40:03 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: QuikErase Disk Eraser

Here is a small program for quickly erasing a disk's file
directory.  It does not format disks, it just zeroes out the
directroy. It is useful for recycling backup disks without having
to reformat or manually go and throw out the files into the
trash.

Ken

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-QUIKERASE.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 08:16:43 EDT
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: ToMultiFinder2.Hqx

	Attached in StuffIt 1.5 format is version 2.0 of ToMultiFinder, a
utility that lets you choose between the Finder and MultiFinder at startup
time.

	Improvements over version 1.1 include:

	- Remembering your choice of Finder, MultiFinder, or another program
	- Ability to chain another program before launching Finder or MultiFinder.

ToMultiFinder is shareware.

		--Rich

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-TOMULTIFINDER20.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 08:24 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #130

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 1, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 130

Today's Topics:
     Re: Tektronix 410X emulator for SUN's
     PostScript Macros?
     Re: Mac MIDI for beginners?
     Need to go from PICT to ART format ...
     Re: French Font needed (correction)
     ./etc/APPLE.  No Free Software for Mac users. (2 messages)
     Re: Make Life Easier with the Control Panel and CDEVs
     Looking for a Personal Accounting system
     LSC 3.0 _pow() bug.
     Mac to Async Decnet software???
     Request for info on Mac PD Statistics/Graphing Packages
     Changing the World, One Person at a Time (long)
     Educational Software for 3 year olds
     Re: Let's Talk OCR
     Re: Hiliting inactive controls (statText in dialog)
     Re: NuBus interrupt routine
     Bug in MPW C 2.0.2 print header files.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-130.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 08:27 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #131

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 1, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 131

Today's Topics:
     LSC & Calling CODE segments as functions
     MPW C bug; low memory considerations
     Re: Bug in MPW C 2.0.2 print header files.
     Re: LSC & Calling CODE segments as functions & BitManager XCMD
     Defining Lists in MPW C
     How do I remove a drive from the drive queue
     Region Manipulation
     Serial Ports
     Re: Region Manipulation
     Re: LSC 3.0 critique (long)
     Mac Partitioning Program for Floppies?
     Re: Serial Ports
     Re: Mac IIx upgrade (price)? + musings re: NeXT (long)
     Need Electric Circuit Components Drawings
     Third Party HD in the Mac SE
     Caps Lock <-> Control
     Logic Symbols Needed
     Choosing printers w/o using chooser (is it possible?)
     System Software 6.0.2 arrives
     Re: Is there a MacPlus Keyboard with a Control Key?
     Re: NFS for the Mac
     Lacking AppleLink, another Finder Bug

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-131.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 08:28 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #132

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 1, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 132

Today's Topics:
     Re: Lacking AppleLink, another Finder Bug
     turbo pascal mac DA help
     Re: Request for info on Mac PD Statistics/Graphing Packages
     TCP-IP libraries for Macs and ATs
     Digital Logic Symbols
     Head-to-Head Falcon. It's Here!
     porting an applications from SUNs to networked Macs
     Real Time Coprocessor boards for the Mac II ?
     Re: Head-to-Head Falcon. It's Here!
     Bus and Address Error insights (was Re: Listing of error...)
     PICT to PIC filter
     Mathematica of 2.5M Mac+
     Will the New HD Floppy be released as an external drive?
     Screenwriting software
     Seeking info on Rundgren's "HyperCode" OS
     Rodime disk drives. vs. System 6.0[.x]
     Re: C++, A/UX, and Mac OS
     Allocating my own (longer) SndChannel record
     Languages on A/UX?
     Big screen on expanded 512E possible?
     Re: Aliens Ate My SE! (SE Power Supply Prices)
     A/UX and system 6.0.2 (SASH)
     Does the Mac need another communications program?
     Re: Netserial?
     Re: Let's Talk OCR
     bmug online?
     Weird keyboard problem
     Re: Easy Access
     Laserwriter SC fonts

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-132.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 08:28 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #133

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 1, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 133

Today's Topics:
     Re: real greek font wanted
     abaton scanner followup
     Mac Database Conference at next Expo
     Re: NFS for the Mac
     Re: TCP-IP libraries for Macs and ATs
     Re: Laserwriter SC fonts
     Re: real greek font wanted
     Re:  real greek font
     Mac II, Integrated Solutions V24 network - Request for info
     Mac IIx vs. Dove 68030 upgrades; PC boards for SIMMs?
     3270 Terminal Emulation for A/UX ???
     Lightspeed Pascal 3D Libraries
     MacHeaven - How do I  reach them? Should I bother?
     TSI Gemini 020/030 accelerator for 512/+/SE
     Re: NFS for the Mac
     the NeXT bad news
     Re: Mac IIx vs. Dove 68030 upgrades; PC boards for SIMMs?
     Serial drivers and interrupt trapping
     Re: Is run-length compression possible in PostScript?
     LEX and YACC on a Mac II
     Re: Serial drivers and interrupt trapping
     Off-screen PixMaps and animating colors
     Re: Allocating my own (longer) SndChannel record
     Re: MultiFinder Weirdness + D.A. owned fonts
     MPW Sort Tool Request
     Re: Serial drivers and interrupt trapping

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-133.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 88 08:37 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #136

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, October 7, 1988       Volume 4 : Issue 136

Today's Topics:
     Re: GDevices
     Re: Text editor help
     Using MPW C sprintf(),sscanf() without getting Stdio.
     Re: A/UX hangs.
     Re: Word Processing software for A/UX system???
     Idea for future Mac
     Any 68030 boards for SE?
     Re: Unexpected $$$ in the mail!
     Re: Backdrop INIT Enhancement suggestion
     Re: Lightspeed Pascal
     Apple Job posting
     Should we keep AppleCare?
     DataDesk Keyboard
     Re: Amber Mac !?!?
     LCD projector for MacII?
     Mac II with Sun monitor?
     Golden Gate
     Re: MicroPhone II bug
     Re: Apple ][ disks on Mac?
     Re: When will MacOS get virtual memory? (long)
     How do I get the old beep on a Plus with Sys 6.0?
     DiskExpress upgrade worthwhile?
     Re: Moire bug with MS Word 3.02
     Mac Memory SIMMS
     NetModem v2400 by Shiva
     DENTIST SOFTWARE FOR MAC+/SE
     Re: Plugging in ADB devices
     DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Apple File Exchange Prob

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-136.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 88 08:38 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #137

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, October 7, 1988       Volume 4 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:
     Telesis {Software; Educational} Systems
     fix for some a/ux hangs
     Re: Advantages of a 68030 and a IIx
     DTR problems with AUX 1.0
     Re: Is Dollars and Sense Compatable with 6.02?
     Re: Interrupt switch doesn't work
     Re: Standing Mac II Base Unit on end:  is this safe?
     Equation editor
     Macintosh and Printers
     The computer as a medium (was Re: Computers in education)
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Re: Executing a code segement from LS Pascal? [LONG]
     Re: Text editor help
     Color Printing with Color QuickDraw?
     Re: Text editor help
     Re: Executing a code segement from Lightspeed Pascal?
     Re: Icons in D.A. menus
     FYI: Fixing a crash under Multifinder
     Re: Overflow Checking from within Pasca
     Re: MultiFinder Weirdness
     Detecting and Using 68881 when it is installed
     macPascal to Lightspeed error
     Re: Bus and Address Error insights (was
     Re: a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces) (2 messages)
     University ingres, A/UX
     Re: a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-137.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest