Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/21/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 20 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 114

Today's Topics:
               All-purpose, technical LaserWriter fonts
                             ASCII-DA II
                         ASCII printer driver
       Daniel van Kraalingen's request for info on scanners...
                       Delphi Mac Digest V4 #19
                       Delphi Mac Digest V4 #24
                  File Transfer Software and Methods
                       Info-Mac Digest V6 #106
         Is there a MacWrite[,,,]-to-Tex conversion program?
                           Mac Maintenance
               Rodime formatter/installer, version 2.03
                          Set Startup Device
                summary: Mac front end for VMS e-mail
                          ToMultiFinder 2.2
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #138
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #139
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #140
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #141

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 88 19:36 EDT
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: All-purpose, technical LaserWriter fonts

Various of my colleagues at Boston College and MIT have found these
fonts very useful and suggested I make them more widely available
In addition to a standard character set, they contain a full Greek
alphabet and a generous complement of mathematical symbols (all of
which, by the way, will print in bold face, unlike the Symbol font upon
which they are based).

This file contains the Belsley and Bartholomew screen fonts (all-purpose
technical LaserWriter fonts), their LaserWriter download files,
corresponding keyboard layout documents, and a Read Me document with
full details.  The file must first be unBinHexed and then UnStuffed
(v 1.5.1 was used).

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>FONT-BELSLEY-BARTHOLOMEW.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:17 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: ASCII-DA II

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: ASCII-DA
Date: 15-OCT-1988 23:33 by SVC

    This is my contribution to the ASCII-DA's of the world.  It allows you to
view the ASCII table in any installed font and it will also display the names
of special characters such as ACK and NAK.  There is also color support for
those of you with color machines (but will work just fine in B& W) and some
other neat features...Take a look at it!!

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-ASCII.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 10:01 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ASCII printer driver

Greetings,

Microsoft supplies an ASCII printer Chooser driver with Word.  We have used
it here to drive an Apple DaisyWheel printer.  I know of another person
who uses it to drive a Brother Typewriter-printer.  It seems generic enough
to use with just about any ASCII printer.

Peter J"
PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:27:33 LCL
From: Bret Ingerman [{315} 443-1865] <INGERMAN@SUVM.BITNET>
Subject: Daniel van Kraalingen's request for info on scanners...

   The AppleScanner, as is, does not come with any software for OCR (it
does, however, come with the necessary software for graphics).  There are
a number of packages for scanning in text using the AppleScanner:  OmniPage
>From Caere Corp., TextPert from CTA Inc., and ReadIt! from Olduvai.

   Of the 3, we like OmniPage since it is easy to use, doesn't cost much,
and can read typeset material.  One drawback is that it can not be taught any
new fonts.  TextPert, on the other hand, can be taught new fonts, but is
more expensive and more difficult to use.  I have not used the most recent
version of ReadIt! but an earlier demo version we had did not work well.  I
think that they have probably fixed all the bus by now.

   If you are going with an AppleScanner, I suggest OmniPage, and, if your
budget will allow, TextPert.

   You can also buy a DEST Scanner, which you can get with DEST's OCR program
called Publish Pac.  This does not do typeset material, and can not be taught.

  If you have any more questions, let me know.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 09:33 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #19

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, October 12, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 19

Today's Topics:
     RE: beginning MIDI
     Programmers/Authors Wanted
     ADBBreak INIT vs. 6.0.2 System (4 messages)
     Megascreen vs TMON (6.0.2)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #136
     CMS SD-80 & System 6.02 (2 messages)
     Re: Backdrop INIT Enhancement suggestion
     Setting the working directory (2 messages)
     Debugging with ColorDesk
     RE: MultiFinder Test
     How to look for heap fragmentation? (2 messages)

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-19.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:22 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #24

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, December 19, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:
     Looking for VI
     User Responses Needed (13 messages)
     Rhyming Dictionary Program?
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #175

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-24]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 22:54:57 EST
From: Matt Rhodes <rhodes@ll-vlsi.arpa>
Subject: File Transfer Software and Methods

	I'd like to know how people are using telecom software to transfer
files from mac to mac.  Specifically, several of my friends and relatives are
now getting macs (it might have been some of my less than objective advice)
and I'd like to send them files and programs over the phone line.  I know
about a few things (MCS, Red Ryder, etc.) but all of them require me to call
them up and tell them "I'm going to transfer some files now....turn on your
machine and start the program..." and then the actual call.  Maybe this is the
best way to do things but I doubt it.  I'm especially interested in hearing
about things that run like a print spooler/desk accessory.  From a functional
point of view on the sending end I should be able to start sending something
and then immediately return to my work, on the receiving end the machine should
only have to be turned on and the incoming call should "wake up" the receiving
software.
	Any ideas or observations are appreciated.

Matt Rhodes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 88 13:07:02 +0200
From: shani%TAURUS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V6 #106

> Subject: Appletalk XCMD
>
> Hello Netters,
> Here's the scoop:
> I NEED a Hypercard XCMD or XFCN that either I haven't heard of or that
> does not yet exist.
> I'm looking for something that send info from one hypercard application
> on one Mac to another across a localtalk net.

Hi!

Could you please send me any information you got about this ?

AdvThanksance

Oren Shani

shani@math.tau.ac.il or shani@taurus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 21:39 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Is there a MacWrite[,,,]-to-Tex conversion program?

Hi Netters and Happy Holidaze!

        There has been a rumor in our department of a program that
will translate Mac-style wordprocessor documents in SOME format
(MacWrite, I assume) into TeX code and data.  Do any of you know about
this program?  I am aware of the MathType and Expressionist TeX
interfaces, but this is not what I am talking about ... something
more along the lines of opening up say a WriteNow file with a program
and getting an ASCII file full of backslashes...

        If you know about this or a similar program, please email
me personally.  The secretaries in the dept. will love you (a lot of
them are enrolled in TeX class now!)

                                Jeff Templon
                        Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 88 10:28:56 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Mac Maintenance

>Cleaning the disk drive every once in a while with a cleaner disk is
>recommended by some, and also dust should be removed from the mouse

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! No one has EVER demonstrated ANY improvement in disk
performance or life, by using one of those 'cleaning' disks, but LOTS of folks
can tell you horror stories about the damage they've caused. Your disk drive
will work just fine, if all you put in it is clean, good quality floppy
disks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 10:37:03 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Rodime formatter/installer, version 2.03

This posting contains version 2.03 of Rodime's disk formatter and
driver-installer.  This new driver is capable of partitioning a Rodime
disk into multiple volumes (very useful if you have a big Rodime such
as a 100- or 144-meg drive).  The new driver is not vulnerable to the
"_Status CSCode=6" bug that Apple introduced in System 6.0 (and fixed
in 6.0.2).  The new installer has a much better user-interface than the
old Rodime installer.

Rodime driver utilities 2.03 is being posted with the permission of
Rodime Tech Support.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RODIME-INSTALLER-203.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:09 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Set Startup Device

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SET STARTUP DEVICE
Date: 16-DEC-1988 21:13 by BILLHOFMANN

This application will let you change the default startup device to any SCSI
drive currently mounted.  This is handy if you have to constantly change the
startup disk (for example, if one is a different system version or different
script), and is MUCH faster than the control panel.

Power user tip: hold down option or the mouse when launching, and the startup
device will be set to the volume the application resides on.

Note that you cannot set a floppy to be the startup device.  The program will
not complain if you choose a floppy, but it won't set the startup either.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SET-STARTUP-DEVICE.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 12:41:52 -0500
From: jmccombi@bbn.com
Subject: summary: Mac front end for VMS e-mail

A while back I posted a request for info on a Mac front-end to the VAX/VMS
mail system.  Thank you to the folks who replied.

There were many more requests for a summary of the replies, so here goes:

Jon McCombie
BBN Systems & Technologies
Cambridge, MA  02138
617/873-4237

----------
From: David Bogartz <DSBOGARTZ%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

Pacer Software is working on a product that will do exactly what you suggest,
i.e., act as a Mac front end to VAX Mail.  We expect to deliver it some
time in 1989.  We're also working on a Microsoft Mail server that runs
on VAX/VMS with gateways to other mail systems including VAX Mail and
All-In-One Mail.  Delivery on the mail server is contingent on the
future major release of Microsoft Mail that we expect someday.

I'd be glad to answer any questions I can about these products.

David Bogartz
Software Engineer
Pacer Software, Inc.
1900 West Park Drive, Suite 280
Westborough, MA 01581
----------
From: Chris Borton <mcvax!uva!borton@UUNET.UU.NET>

Look at AlisaShare from Alisa Systems in Pasadena.  They include a full mail
server, I believe, that does what you want.

-cbb
----------
From: "STC::MRGATE:: CTDVX3": ;,
      "mazejn %stc.mrgate. ctdvx3.a1.decnet"@STC10.CTD.ORNL.GOV

From:	NAME: J. N. {Jamey} Maze
	FUNC: C&TD Office Automation
	TEL: 574-6355             <MAZEJN AT A1 AT CTDVX5>

        From what I've heard and read, Digital and Apple will be
        developing an X.400 API on the Mac platform that will provide
        connectivity between Apple e-mail systems and VAX systems.  The
        VAX side will probably initially use Digital's MAILbus is my
        guess.

        [... pointer to Alisa and Pacer ...]

        [... some other stuff about PCs and Macs deleted ...]
----------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 11:35:12 EDT
From: milano!harvard!endor!singer@cs.utexas.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: ToMultiFinder 2.2

Try this out, and tell me if you have any problems with it. There's no
documentation enclosed with it, but the functionality should be self-evident.

	--R

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-TOMULTIFINDER-22.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:18 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #138

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 138

Today's Topics:
     GatorBox - NFS for Mac (LONG)
     Public Domain MIDI drivers available?
     CDEFs again
     Versaterm running on TCP/IP?
     Re: SUM Partitioning problems
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Re: The computer as a medium (was Re: Computers in education)
     Re: Equation editor
     old macs with 400k drives and minimal memory
     Re: Versaterm running on TCP/IP?
     Macintosh Mice (works for other brands also)
     Re: Internal Hard Drive for Mac SE
     IBM SIMMS
     Re: DTR problems with AUX 1.0

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-138.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:20 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #139

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 139

Today's Topics:
     Re: Dialogue Box of the Month
     Re: DiskExpress upgrade worthwhile?
     Re: SCSI to ST-506 (revisited)
     Venice Project Game
     Re: How do I get the old beep back on a Plus with Sys 6.0?
     Fool Apple, 400k to 800k (2 messages)
     Looking for advice on DEC PrintServe 40 printer
     Re: Let's Talk OCR
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Re: HP Desk Jet driver for Mac
     HD Partition (SUM)/MacroMaker incompatible
     Re: old macs with 400k drives and minimal memory
     Re: Fool Apple, 400k to 800k
     MacWapuro
     Re: HD Partition (SUM)/MacroMaker incompatible
     File listing on HFS volume
     CopyBits vs CopyMask
     New System??  (gaze into yer cyrstal balls, folks)
     Re: Tabs in TextEdit
     Re: Detecting and Using 68881 when it is installed
     Re: Menu shortcuts in DAs
     Re: Program fails when printing under system 3.2
     Re: Changing complicated Dialogs into Windows (TechNote 203)
     Question about Bison
     Synchronous serial communication
     Re: Changing complicated Dialogs into Windows (TechNote 203)
     Re: Synchronous serial communication
     Re: Question about Bison (2 messages)
     Re: Multifinder: how do I patch GetNextEvent?

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-139.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:23 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #140

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 140

Today's Topics:
     TN200 SlotVRemove Is Wrong
     Comments on Comments
     Re: a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)
     Re: problems with ethernet interface (2 messages)
     Re: Appletalk Support Under A/UX?
     Re: Security on A/UX
     Re: a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)
     Re: Security on A/UX (2 messages)
     Symantec Tools 1.0 bug
     Re: Public Domain MIDI drivers available?
     Looking for a generalized speech tool
     Re: Does the Lightspeed C v. 3.0 debugger require 2 Mbytes to run?!
     Re: GatorBox marketing material
     Re: GatorBox - NFS for Mac
     Re: Geneva font
     Re: Public Domain MIDI drivers available? (2 messages)
     use of alloca (2 messages)
     Custom DefProcs in DAs
     Re: Synchronous serial communication
     Re: Multifinder: how do I patch GetNextEvent?
     copying A/UX (2 messages)
     Copyright Law Revisited

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-140.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:26 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #141

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 141

Today's Topics:
     midi feedback
     Taking an internal 800k Mac drive and using it with an Apple IIGS
     Re: Advice sought re: CMS, MicroNet hard disks and MacLand .
     line in colour monitors
     Re: Custom DefProcs in DAs
     Re: CAPPS' (was:Text editor help)
     Looking for AppleTalk pascal source sample
     Aztec C/Shell DOES HAVE a 'vi' editor
     how to copy files in the background?
     ressources format
     Re: Aztec C/Shell DOES HAVE a 'vi' editor (2 messages)
     Troff -> PostScript conversion?
     Mac diagnostic program mentioned in Chilton's MAC-repair guide..
     Re: ressources format
     MacIntosh to "pic" format
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     MacWorld correction
     The nasy Multifinder bug returns!  PLEASE HELP!!

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-141.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest