Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 16:18 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Analyze InterPoll

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: ANALYZE INTERPOLL STACK
Date: 18-OCT-1988 20:59 by SCHERFNET

This Hypercard stack analyzes the output of an Interpoll listing. It is most
useful in large organizations connecting many LocalTalk networks together with
multiple zones, gateways, network software, etc.  Columns are created reporting
and listing Macs, network printers, and other devices discovered from Interpoll
based on user definable criteria. This is freeware.  Enjoy.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-ANALYZE-INTERPOLL.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 88 10:21:48 PDT
From: lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie)
Subject: Color Screen Dump FKEY

This is an FKEY that replaces the standard Command-Shift-3 FKEY for screen
dumps.  It takes color screen dumps from the Mac II.  A little documentation
is included.  NOTE:  The FKEY comes preset with ID=5.  Thus it won't
automatically replace the FKEY 3 that is standard with the Mac.  I did this
so I could test it out before actually deleting the orignial.

Have fun

Greg DeMichillie

lgdemichillia@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178  <---- preferred

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>FKEY-COLOR-SCREEN-DUMP.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 88 10:07:39 PST
From: weissman@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Conformer -- convert std. MIDI files to Professional Performer format

Conformer takes standard MIDI files and converts them into Professional
Performer format.  This is extremely useful for anyone who uses Professional
format.

A short text-format document is included in the StuffIt archive.

- Terry Weissman	weissman@wsl.dec.com

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-CONFORMER.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 88 10:05 EDT
From: <WH_DOLBE%UNHH.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Game - Mark4

Mark4  (Version 1.21)
The Four Digit Number Game
for the Macintosh
Copyright 1987 by Hank Dolben

Mark4 is a Macintosh version of the Four Digit Number Game, which itself is a
variant of the commercial game "Master Mind".  There are some other primitive,
computer implementations which have been seen under various names, including
"moo".  Before describing Mark4 it should be noted that the Four Digit Number
Game is a very entertaining game of logic that can be played between two people
with paper and pencil practically anywhere that time needs killing (e.g., at
airports, at rocket integration, at a terminal of a time-share computer
system).

Basically, player A and player B each think of (write down) a number, the
target.  Then A tries to guess B's number while B tries to guess A's number.  A
number, whether it's a guess or a target, consists of four digits (hence the
devilishly clever name of the game) with no digit appearing more than once in
the number.  When A makes a guess, B tells A the score of the guess.  The score
consists of two integers.  The first integer is the count of the digits in the
guess which are in the right place, that is, in the same place in the guess as
in the target.  The second integer of the score is the count of the digits in
the guess which are in the wrong place, that is, in a different place in the
guess than in the target.  The players take turns guessing until one of them
guesses the target (i.e, gets a score of 4 in the right place and 0 in the
wrong place).  Then the other player continues making guesses until he gives up
or guesses the target.  Obviously, the player who gets the target in the fewest
guesses is the winner of the game.

As you have probably guessed by now, Mark4 lets you play this game against the
Macintosh.  You make your guesses by dragging the digits in the left side of
the Guesses window into the four small boxes in a row.  When you have the
digits you want in your guess, click on the Guess button.  Then, that guess
with its score is displayed in the scoreboard labelled Yours.  If you take an
inordinate number of guesses the scoreboard will scroll when it's full.  If you
give up, the Show Target menu item displays the target in your scoreboard.

The Mac displays its guesses in the scoreboard labelled Mac;s.  You give the
Mac;s last guess a score by setting the radio buttons in the right side of the
Guesses window and clicking on the Score button.  If you make a mistake
scoring, the Mac will eventually find out and give you the choice of rescoring
the current guess or backing-up to the previous guess.  If you want the Mac to
guess a number, but you are too lazy to score it yourself, and you trust the
Mac not to cheat, then you set the target for automatic scoring of the Mac;s
guesses to the number in your guess boxes by the menu item "Guess -> Mac;s
Target".  Automatic scoring sets the radio buttons to the score of the Mac;s
last guess.  The Mac will then wait until the Score button is clicked to guess
again.  Once the Mac;s target is set, the "Auto Score" menu item turns
automatic scoring off and on.

Even though the game can be played asynchronously (you don't have to alternate
turns with the Mac), the "New Target" menu item resets both the target which
you try to guess and the Mac;s guesses.  Your target may be set to the number
in your guess boxes by the menu item "Guess -> Your Target", which also resets
your scoreboard.  This is so that, for example, you can use the Mac to check
scoring for you in a game against someone else.  Finally, selecting the menu
item "Order Digits" puts the digits back in order above the guess boxes, as
they are right after launch.

The Macintosh version of the game was designed and programmed by Hank Dolben
who learned the pencil and paper version of the game from Mark Widholm.

This program is free.  It may be copied for noncommercial distribution.  It may
not be sold.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>GAME-MARK4.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 09:08 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Suitcase II Updater

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SUITCASE II UPDATER
Date: 20-OCT-1988 21:37 by BRECHER

Suitcase II Updater is an application that will update your copy of Suitcase II
version 1.2 to 1.2.1.  The update fixes a problem that occurs with MultiFinder
1.0 (part of System Tools 5, with System 4.2). The problem occurs when a DA
(e.g., Chooser) or other software updates the System file; the effect is
contextual and may range from no harm to a system error.  If you don't use
MultiFinder, or you use System Tools 6.0 or later, you don't need the update.
NOTE: the updater is useful only if you have Suitcase II (emphasis II).

   --Steve Brecher, author of Suitcase II

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>SUITCASE-II-UPDATER-121.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 22:17:06 est
From: omh@cs.brown.edu
Subject: TransSkel.p Version 2.0 (Part 1 of 2)

Here is the Pascal version of Transskel version 2.0.  It contains a few
new features to help you make better programs, some bug fixes and
supports the conditional compiler variables that the C version did.  It
now has conditional compilation switches for MPW support and smaller
code generation.

TransSkel is a transportable modular skeleton program which works similarly
to the "Extender" program packages out there.  However, TransSkel provides
all the source code, so you can modify it for personal use *and* (best of
all) TransSkel is completely public domain and free for use by everyone.

In this release of TransSkel, both Paul DuBois and myself, Owen Hartnett
have tried to make a more professional system, including better DA support,
more checks for out of memory conditions, handler cacheing (caching?), etc.

Unfortunately, the old TransSkel code will break on this version without
modification.  Fortunately, the modifications are fairly easy and are
discussed in the documentation.

My apologies to everyone who asked me for an e-mail copy of this w/out
response.  My mailer is extremely finicky and very often does not work.

TransSkel also comes with two companion modules, TransDisplay and TransEdit.
These allow the user to provide transportable text edit functions.

Yes, Virginia, there is a C version 2.0 in the works, but I'll let Paul
distribute that one.

TransSkel is excellent for getting some code up and running very fast,
and it allows you to modify and extend while keeping the basic framework
intact.  To paraphrase Victor Kiam, of Remington Razor fame:  "I liked
it so much, I ported it to Pascal."

Actual Pascal I used was Lightspeed Pascal version 2.0 (great, great,
great product!).  I put in conditionals for MPW users.  TML and
Turbos may want to add conditionals of their own, if so, send them to
me and I'll incorporate them into the next version.

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."
                        -W.C. Fields

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-PASCAL-PART1.HQX and -PART2.HQX
             <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSEDIT-PASCAL-PART1.HQX and -PART2.HQX
             <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSDISPLAY-PASCAL-PART1.HQX and -PART2.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:27 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #142

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 142

Today's Topics:
     Re: Multifinder: how do I patch GetNextEvent?
     "hot" clicks in DAs
     Re: CAPPS' (was:Text editor help)
     bug in GetColor
     Re: CAPPS' (was:Text editor help)
     Re: copying A/UX
     Re: SUM Partitioning problems
     Application Audit?
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     F/DAm 3.8 bug? (2 messages)
     Re: DENTIST SOFTWARE FOR MAC+/SE
     New Rodime formatter/installer/driver
     MAC floppy format
     Re: Application Audit?
     Parc Place Smalltalk-80 on the Macintosh
     Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.0 on sys 6.0.2
     Re: Macintosh and Printers
     Re: Appletalk smart appointment scheduler
     Can an 030 need a PMMU?
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Nifty, legal, product idea.
     Chooser Printer Drivers?
     Does a window have to come up white?
     MPW Pascal Bug

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-142.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:31 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #143

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 15, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 143

Today's Topics:
     C topics.
     Dialog positioning: color dialogs
     Error in SlotVInstall and SlotVRemove glue
     Possible Bugs in Think C 3.0
     file comparison / diff ??
     Re: Application Audit?
     Timezone and timechange resources
     AppleShare strange "features"
     Geometry programs
     Re: New Rodime formatter/installer/driver
     Re: Can an 030 need a PMMU?
     Re: "We are not going to play that low end game."
     Re: Aztec C/Shell DOES HAVE a 'vi' editor
     pc tools
     Re: Multifinder: how do I patch GetNextEvent?
     MacsBug 6.0 B1 trap discipline
     Re: Nifty, legal, product idea.
     Re: Does a window have to come up white?
     Durable menus
     Re: Does a window have to come up white?
     Re: offscreen color bitmaps in c
     MacApp Question
     Re: C topics.
     Re: MacApp Question
     possible THINK C 3.0 bug
     Re: MacsBug 6.0 B1 trap discipline (2 messages)

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-143.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 09:09 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #144

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 22, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 144

Today's Topics:
     LightSpeedC AppleTalk sources.
     Re: F/DAm 3.8 bug?
     Word 4.0
     Re: Public Domain MIDI drivers available?
     The Colony
     toolbox on UNIX
     Re: Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.0 on sys 6.0.2
     Re: ROMs on SIMMs
     Re: Word 4.0
     Strange error - Why?
     Re: Geometry programs
     Re: Word 4.0
     MacDraw -> Interleaf?
     Arrow cursor icon - where is it?
     Re: ROMs on SIMMs
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     68000 clip pointers needed
     Re: toolbox on UNIX
     Re: ditroff for the Mac?
     Mac DX/TX Voice Editor/Librarian
     Re: C topics. (really ctags)
     Problem setting KCHR resource
     Re: Chooser Printer Drivers?
     Windows--HELP
     Re: Multifinder: how do I patch GetNextEvent?
     Re: tcp-ip terminal servers
     Re: Tempo II + Symantec Utilities = BOMB
     Re: Possible Bugs in Think C 3.0
     fax modem questions
     Mac+ Hardware Enhancements
     Re: fax modem questions
     What is Disk error -43  ????

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-144.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 09:10 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #145

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 22, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 145

Today's Topics:
     Re: Word 4.0
     Re: Enqueue'ing In a VBL
     Re: Windows--HELP
     Re: Were all Mac Tech Notes revised?
     System 6.0.2 performance
     Tulin 50 meg HD
     Locking the system folder
     Simon cdev
     diff and patch
     MacroMaker / LS Pascal Bug
     MacroMaker / Psion Bug
     What to do with bad disks?
     SNOBOL (was: Aztec C DOES HAVE 'vi')
     Mac Project Software
     Re: Help! (can't print New Baskerville on Laserwriter II)
     Problems with Cricket Draw...
     Re: Arkanoid
     MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     Black Apple
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     vietnamese postscript fonts
     Re: Black Apple
     MacWorkstation experience wanted
     Re: TN200 SlotVRemove Is Wrong
     Re: Were all Mac Tech Notes revised?
     Using TextEdit in Paint programs
     Re: tcp-ip terminal servers
     What would YOU want in a Mac BBS?
     A/UX on Rodime drives, success at last.
     Re: Tulin 50 meg HD
     Re: Daisy produces extra EOL's
     Re: Word 4.0
     3rd party Mac floppy drives -- any recommendations?
     Re: How to convert all of "font a" to "font b" in MacWrite?

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-145.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest