Date: 21 December 88, 22:58:31 CST
From: Robert J.Brenstein <GA0095@siucvmb.BITNET>
Subject: Absoft's MacFortran 2.4 (long)

I have been using version 2.4 of Absoft's MacFortran for several weeks
now working on a large project (implementing true Macintosh interface).
I haven't used version 2.3 of Absoft's compiler, hence I don't know the
difference between that one and 2.4, but 2.4 has definitely better
interface than version 2.2 (better known as Microsoft Fortran 2.2).
The new version of the compiler has actually some feeling of a Macintosh
program to it.  Some of the nice things:  options can be saved into
individual files; the transfer menu is somewhat customizable and
supports sublaunching; the compiler automatically reopens files which
were open at the time of quiting; the list file is automatically
displayed in case of compilation errors (but not warnings); most common
functions (those from the former MS Fortran's Compiler menu) are
available as buttons in each file window; the default (terminal-like)
window can be supressed during compilation.  The list is not complete
but should give you an idea of changes.

The linker is still very unfriendly.  You select commands from menus;
however, their implementation is very poor: there are no keyboard-equivs;
there is no apple menu; I can't even invoke or use 101-Keys (QuicKeys-
like utility).  Otherwise, the linker operates pretty much the same way
as before except that it now reads script files only (former batch
linking), which I don't object to.  The real difference is that it
does not have the limits on the number of external references, commons,
etc., which was the reason I dumped version 2.2.

The new ScriptBuilder application allows for fairly simple creation
and management of scripts controlling batch compilation and linking.
This is the most Macintosh-like program in the set.  The builder uses
standard file dialog to select files or groups of files to be included
in the script.

The text editor included in the package is still Edit.  I believe that
for the money we pay for this compiler we could get a more decent
editor.  Absoft apparently decided that we just have to get whatever
editor we want on our own.  Besides QUED there is also a new Freditor
program (available from TechAlliance) which advertises as an editor
specially designed for editing Fortran programs.  I haven't had a
chance to actually use it, hence can't provide any evaluation.  I wish
Absoft would bundle it with MacFortran, though.

The selection of examples included in the package is still poor -- only
a couple new ones are added. None shows creation of a real Macintosh
application.  A few more examples are available on Absoft's BBS, but
still not enough.  The documentations hasn't changed much in contents,
although it comes now in a 3-ring binder and uses different color paper
for the toolbox reference.  Unfortunately, the reference hasn't changed
much from the 2.2 version except for the addition of some color-related
stuff.  There is still no complete list of calls to toolbox routines.

Besides the 24-hour BBS, Absoft has also instituted a formal support
person who can be contacted over the phone or BBS.  Admittedly, the
person I interacted with was quite helpful and responsive.

Albeit this version of the compiler fixed many (if not all) of previously
known problems/bugs, it is not free from them now.  I have run into
some problems related to the fact that many of toolbx parameters which
should be integer*2 (Pascal integer) must be declared as integer*4
(Pascal longint) or the values passed are wrong.  Several of parameter
values of toolbx routines have also changed -- this affects only people
who don't use provided include files (like myself).

I also got the impression that Absoft is going to push its MPW compiler.
I hope this does not mean they abandon further development of MacFortran
since their MPW compiler will work on the Macintosh II only.  Would I be
mean claiming that in that new version they at least don't have to worry
about the Macintosh interface? Or, they don't worry anyway?

Robert (GA0095@SIUCVMB.Bitnet)

P.S. If somebody cares to post this to comp.sys.mac as well, users of usenet
     could appreciate (or not) the above note.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 88 08:13 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #20

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, October 23, 1988       Volume 4 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #139
     MacII - 3270 emulation
     Boy, That's BIG!
     re: Re: Tabs in TextEdit
     RE: How to look for heap fragmentation? (3 messages)
     Videotaping Mac II Color Monitor (2 messages)
     Looking for info on Clearpoint memory
     RE: Looking for info on Clearpoint memor
     re: Looking for software to reset a Lase
     MAC II RAM (2 messages)
     Magentic Filing of 1099's With IRS
     re SUM

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-20.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 17:30:09 CST
From: werner@rascal.ics.UTEXAS.EDU (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: here comes unsit.shar

For the Stuffit archive file listed, unsit
extracts the files in archive into separate files.
This makes it possible, for example, to separate a large StuffIt file
into component files for selective downloading, rather than
downloading the larger archive file just to extract a single, small
file.  It also allows the use of StuffIt to compress a group of files
into a single, smaller archive that can be uploaded to a Unix system
for storage, printing, etc.

In the normal mode, both the data and the resource forks of the
component Macintosh files in the archive are extracted and stored in
Unix files with the extension .data and .rsrc
appended to the end of the Macintosh file name.
In addition, a .info file will be created with the Finder information.
These three file are compatible with the macput
program for downloading to a Mac running Macterminal.
If only the data or resource fork is extracted, no addition extension is
appended to the Mac file name.
Characters in the Mac file name that are illegal (or unwieldy, like spaces)
are changed to underscores in the Unix file name.  The true Mac file name
is retained in the .info file and is restored when the file is downloaded.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UNIX-UNSIT.SHAR]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 88 12:26:47 -0800n
From: rdsesq@jessica.Stanford.EDU
Subject: image color graphics program

Hello info mac people
Here is a very interesting program I found on SMUG's bbs. It handles
256 color imports video from video camera and lots of other stuff.
If memory serves me it was done by the U S heath department, one of
their departments. Its in the about box. There seems to be no Shareware fee
so I assume it is in the public domain. It is binhex'ed and stuffed with
stuffit 1.51.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-IMAGE-COLOR-GRAPHICS.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 88 17:03:14 +0100
From: mcvax!ifi.uio.no!geirp@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Mac II NuBus Prototype Card

   I am looking for any form of a prototype card for development of
expansion cards to the Mac II. None of the suppliers that I have been
in contact with who delivers prototype cards for IBM PC have NuBus
cards.
   Scanning old issues of this distribution list I discovered that this
subject had been discussed in some old Usenet Mac Digests that had
been archived on SUMEX-AIM. The issues of interest are volume 3,
number 91 and 106. Unfortunately those issues has been expunged from
the disk. If anyone can supply me with the relevant articles I would
be very pleased.

   I will summarize any information I receive in a message to this
list.

Geir Pedersen.

University of Oslo,        Phone: +47-2-453482    geirp@ifi.uio.no
Computing Services,                       3470    x_pedersen_g@use.uio.uninett
Postboks 1059 - Blindern                          APPLELINK: NOR0018
0316 Oslo  NORWAY

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 07:46 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Pyro! 3.1 Updater

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: PYRO! 3.0 UPDATER
Date: 2-NOV-1988 15:20 by BRECHER

This application updates your copy of Pyro! 3.0 (but NOT any earlier version) to version 3.1.  Version 3.1 fixes problems with printing during screen saving, fixes blinking of the mouse pointer that occurred with some applications during screen saving, and adds animation to the startup icon, with a color startup icon for Macs set up for color.

   --Steve Brecher, Software Supply

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PYRO-UPGRADE-31.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 09:11 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #146

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 22, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 146

Today's Topics:
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Re: Arrow cursor icon - where is it?
     Re: AppleShare strange "features"
     Re: What disk drives work with LaserWriter II NTX?
     Re: Simon cdev
     moire - thanks for all the fish
     dLibrarian and Shield INIT bugs
     Rodime performance with new driver
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     Commerce dept. to levy duties on 3.5" floppies
     Freehand 2.0 Press Release
     Re: Standing Mac II Base Unit on end: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
     Re: What to do with bad disks?
     Re: ditroff for the Mac?
     Re: Arkanoid
     Re: Concertware+MIDI  vs. DMCS V2.0
     Re: What to do with bad disks?
     WYSIWYG
     Re: Rodime performance with new driver
     Re: How to hook more than two things to the mac's serial port
     Lunar Calendar Program Needed
     AppleShare PC problems
     Re: Word 4.0
     Patches for appFont 9 and cursor handling
     Re: Were all Mac Tech Notes revised?

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-146.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 09:12 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #147

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 22, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 147

Today's Topics:
     Changing Resources
     Re: Re: CAPPS' (was:Text editor help)
     Re: Changing Resources
     Re: Using Textedit in Paint programs
     Chooser and printers
     Re: Using Textedit in Paint programs
     Re: Chooser and printers (2 messages)
     Re: tcp-ip terminal servers
     Mac II Analog/Digital I/O
     Re: What disk drives work with LaserWriter II NTX?
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     Re: What to do with bad disks?
     Re: vi for the Mac
     Re: Parc Place Smalltalk-80 on the Macintosh
     How to screen snapshot?
     info wanted: LCD overhead projector add-on
     Amiga to Mac conversion programs?
     troff <-> macwrite/wordX.x
     Re: Public Domain MIDI drivers available?
     Serial postscript printers and/or Mac-to-VAX systems
     Re: What to do with bad disks?
     Re: DiskFit VS Redux: My DEFINITE conclusion
     Re: Commerce dept. to levy duties on 3.5" floppies
     The Ultimate Programming Editor
     Re: Rodime performance with new driver
     macbrain
     Warning: bug in MPW List Manager interface
     hiding the menu bar
     Compiling CDEVs?
     LSC #if
     MPW SuspendState problem
     Re: BSD 4.2 filesystems

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-147.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 08:07 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #148

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 29, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 148

Today's Topics:
     German spell checker for Word?
     Anyone know anything about "PC TOOLS for the Macintosh?"
     SUN Raster and Macpaint bitmap conversion
     Re: NFS under MacOS
     Re: Standing Mac II Base Unit on end: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
     Re: Word 4.0
     Re: HD Protection
     Facelift availability ???
     HPGL/postscript converter
     Re: Does anyone sell screen font families?
     6.1 Finder weirdness
     Diskfit Question!
     Re: Parc Place Smalltalk-80 on the Macintosh
     System 6.0.2 seems to work on a 2 meg 512Ke
     Re: SUN Raster and Macpaint bitmap conversion
     Multifinder Bugs:  2 important issues
     MDS routines from LSP
     Some questions about A/UX
     Re: How to screen snapshot?
     LSC preprocessor
     Re: How to hook more than two things to
     Re: Simon cdev
     Odd scrollbar behavior with TrackControl
     Fortran compiler help (for Mac) (2 messages)
     Another A/UX question, re: rn

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-148.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 88 09:11 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #149

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 29, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 149

Today's Topics:
     Re: Another A/UX question, re: rn, AUX dialup.
     Vaxess and MacWorkstation as Mac BBS Software
     Re: Low-memory Globals under Multifinder
     Re: Odd scrollbar behavior with TrackControl
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     HD Runner 1.4
     Re: Networking Mac's and Apple's
     Inside Mac
     Re: Another A/UX question, re: rn (2 messages)
     Re: Getting Apple's Chinese System
     Data Glove?
     Re: Changing the Font of Dialog Items
     Re: AppleTalk Problems
     Re: Fortran compiler help (for Mac)
     Re: Odd scrollbar behavior with TrackControl
     Re: MacEnvy 1.0d8 cdev
     Re: Data Glove?
     Videoworks format or routines wanted
     MacPeak Tape Backup?
     Re: LSC LSP interface ?
     My sick Mac (sigh)
     MultiFinder games
     Re: Arabic for the Macintosh
     Re: MultiFinder games
     Programming in MPW Fortran (Language Systems)
     Grouping in draw programs
     NFS on Macs (2 messages)
     Re: Amiga to Mac conversion programs?

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-149.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 08:10 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #150

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 29, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 150

Today's Topics:
     Re: Can I network my MAC II to my IBM AT?
     Re: LS Pascal 2.0 (2 messages)
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     Musical output from numerical simulations
     Is this advertising
     Re: Data Glove?
     travelmac
     Frozen Mac IIs: Any suggestions?
     Specialized drawing Software (Business)?
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     GetMouse et al.
     6.0.2 laserwriter bug (and slowness)
     Re: ZOOM 2400-baud modems
     Re: Reading 'install scripts'...
     Re: MacWorld vs. MacUser vs. Macazine vs. ??
     Pyro! 3.0 problems
     Re: Screen Savers under Multifinder
     Re: Installing fonts in documents?
     Re: Novell NetWare for Mac (Was "Is this advertising?")
     Re: Word 4.0
     Anti-Aliased (AKA Fuzzy) Fonts
     Re: Musical output from numerical simulations
     Word 3.01 help - footnote numbering
     Re: GetMouse et al.
     memory allocation at interrupt level
     DTP package for a neophite

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-150.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 08:10 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #151

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 29, 1988    Volume 4 : Issue 151

Today's Topics:
     Re: Shareware fees for overseas
     AAsk Init
     CMS TS-60E Tape Backup System Problem
     Re: Shareware fees for overseas
     Re: AppleTalk Problems
     Turbo Pascal and the Mac II
     Apple Sound Chip
     Using Capps' with MPW C
     Re: Odd scrollbar behavior with TrackControl (2 messages)
     Re: GetMouse et al.
     Problems booting A/UX
     Re: Some questions about A/UX
     Locking Across NFS
     Re: Inside Mac (7 messages)

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-151.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest