Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/24/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 23 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 118

Today's Topics:
                   College Bowl Stat Keeper program
         complete families of LaserWriter screen fonts wanted
                converting postscript files on the mac
                       Delphi Mac Digest V4 #22
                           Dialogs in INITs
                     nVIR 10 - A Correction (Mac)
                          Pyro! Updater 3.3
                            SSSwitcher 2.4
                     Travesty text-masher program
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #156
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #157
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #158
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #159
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #160

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 08:47 CST
From: <STEVEN%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: College Bowl Stat Keeper program

This is a free program that is useful for keeping scores and statistics at
a College Bowl-type of tournament. It includes complete instructions.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>APPL-COLLEGE-BOWL.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88 19:25:49 PST
From: crum%lipari.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum)
Subject: complete families of LaserWriter screen fonts wanted

I would really appreciate it if someone would make available on sumex-2060
the Adobe screen versions of the standard LaserWriter fonts (Times,
Helvetica, New Century Schoolbook, etc.) including the bold and italic
versions of those screen fonts.  As an alternative to sumex-2060 I would
welcome these truly useful fonts in the anonymous-writeable pub directory
on Internet host panarea.usc.edu [128.125.3.54].

I have Suitcase II which helps setup NFNTs, so for example, the font
manager uses a proper definition of italics instead of an oblique
derivative of the plain style for screen display (without requiring
the selection of a different font).

I obtained a "complete" set of the public domain Adobe screen fonts (on 7
disks) from microPrint, but I found that microPrint gave me all the Adobe
fonts except the "standard" collection in LaserWriter{+,NT,NTX} printers.
Perhaps microPrint assumed that the screen fonts that came with the
LaserWriter adquately suited my needs -- they don't, because they do not
include distinct definitions for italic and bold and bolditalic styles.

In any case, since the screen versions of the Adobe fonts are freely
distributable (and in fact in the public domain), it may help many people
to have them available by FTP, at least the common set of fonts standard
in Apple LaserWriter printers.

Gary Crum
University of Southern California

------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 Dec 88 15:02-EST
From: Larry Kolodney <LKK@xx.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: converting postscript files on the mac

I have a text file with Postscript commands in it.  I'd like to display it
using Illustrator or some such program on the Macintosh.  Is there any
Mac application that can read text files with PostScript commands and convert
them to normal mac postscript files?

Thanks in advance,
larry kolodney

P.S. I'm not on this list, so please reply directly.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 88 08:09 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #22

Delphi Mac Digest     Friday, November 18, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 22

Today's Topics:
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #150
     re: David Dunham Anywhere?
     High resolution printing.
     RE: High resolution printing (8 messages)
     re: Fullwrite Pro -- Six Months Later
     MAC II ACCELERATORS
     re: Generating MacWrite Documents
     Jasmine printer

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-22.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: 23 DEC 88 13:50:19
From: DERIDDER%SARA.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Dialogs in INITs

I rea that some people had problems with dialogs in INIT's.
Someone at our department discovered thet during init-time InitWindows
does'nt clear DeskHook.
Our problems with Inits were solved by doing it ourselves:
  CONST
      DeskHook          = $0A6C;
  TYPE
      aPtrType        = ~LONGINT;
  BEGIN
      InitWindows;
      aPtr := aPtrType(deskhook);
      aPtr^ := 0;
 END

Kees de Ridder,
Free University,
Department of Chemistry,
the Netherlands.
deridder%sara.nl@hasara5

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1988 14:38 CST
From: Joe McMahon <XRJDM@SCFVM>
Subject: nVIR 10 - A Correction (Mac)
I just received a note from Matthias Urlichs, who tells me that nVIR 10
merely DEACTIVATES the nVIR virus, it does not kill it.

I suppose it's like a DNA suppressor, rather than an antibody.

Sorry if I have caused anyone inconvenience. The nVIR Vaccine program
in the NVIRVACC SITHQX file should still be used to remove nVIR from
applications, and the manual procedure mentioned in the ANTI-VIR SITHQX
stack can be used to clean systems.

I have been receiving a LOT of nVIR removal software lately; I haven't
had time to review it yet. I will be doing so and adding the ones I find
best address the problem to our LISTSERV after January 1.

Happy holidays, all.

--- Joe M.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88 08:36 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Pyro! Updater 3.3

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: PYRO! UPDATER 3.3
Date: 21-DEC-1988 18:59 by BRECHER

This application will update your copy of Pyro! 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2 to 3.3.  3.1
fixed problems with printing in general.  3.2 fixed interference with PageMaker
printing, but ran into a bug in Radius ROMs (FPD/TPD/Accelerator).  Note:  this
Updater will NOT update versions earlier than 3.0.

      --Steve Brecher, Software Supply

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PYRO-UPGRADE-33.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 09:25 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: SSSwitcher 2.4

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SSSWITCHER
Date: 16-NOV-1988 23:15 by BOBANDRIS

This is v2.4, that takes advantage of all of "SoundMaster 1.2"'s new
capabilities.  SSSwitcher is a "Startup" application that will randomly switch
startup, deskpicture, & backdrop screens; & startup, beep, diskinsert,
diskeject, baddisk, diskrequest, restart, shudown, keyclick, returnkey, &
spacekey sounds.  Screens & sounds with the same names will play together.
Doc's are included. - BOBANDRIS

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>INIT-SSSWITCHER.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 09:13 CST
From: <STEVEN%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Travesty text-masher program

This is a strange program that takes a text file as input
and produces output text that sounds like the input, but is
usually meaningless or bizarre. It is based on a program
originally presented in the November 1984 issue of BYTE.
(Short) instructions are included.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>APPL-TRAVESTY.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 88 14:40 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #156

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, November 11, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 156

Today's Topics:
     Re: one blind mouse
     Re: screen capture in MS Word 3.02
     Re: Fullwrite Pro -- Six Months Later
     Re: Seeking recommendations - PostScript printer (summary: LONG)
     Re: The OFFICIAL Jasmine/SUM registration answer (3 messages)
     Two hard disks - What do you do?
     LightSpeed Pascal pretty-printing (2 messages)
     Re: Fullwrite Pro -- Six Months Later
     Re: CDC Wren IV's on A/UX
     Word Processing.  Why the silence?
     Problems with MPW C 68000/68881 instructions and A/UX config?
     Script in MPW for Procedure names
     Re: Word Processing.  Why the silence?
     Re: CMS drives vs. System 6.0.2 resolved!
     Cognition Tech Inc??
     CASE tools desired
     Re: Ticking Mac
     Re: Accounting package for small business
     Re: Arabic Word Processing
     Re: Desktop file stripper
     This is SUM bug!

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-156.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 88 14:43 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #157

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, November 11, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 157

Today's Topics:
     Re: Word Processing.  Why the silence?
     Generating MacWrite Documents
     LW II & Print Manager
     Re: Inside Mac
     AppleLink Personal for Mac?
     MACII audio port questions
     In-use light for 800k drive
     Re: Fullwrite Pro -- Six Months Later
     Re: Interferon 3.0 question (signature resource)
     Co-Processor cards for the Mac II
     Re: Desktop file stripper
     Quicken
     Shiva Netserial
     800K external drive moved inside Mac II (2 messages)
     Re: Waveform Editor
     Modifying LaserWriter driver output
     Re: Word Processing.  Why the silence?
     Re: FullWrite and EPS
     Grappler LS (was Re: Tested the HP DeskJet driver by DataPak)
     summary of dos emulation on the mac
     SCSI Driver for Western Digital controller
     Re: Macintosh mail utilities

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-157.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 88 14:46 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #158

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, November 11, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 158

Today's Topics:
     Re: Macintosh UTILITIES Disk repair/restor/backup
     Re: Quicken
     Does Tattle Tale INIT work?
     Re: Quicken
     Macintosh <==> UNIX interchange: summary
     Re: FlashTalk
     Re: a PD diff
     Sound (mostly freeform)
     Bypassing Mac OS text drawing?
     Re: MacinTalk and LSC 3.0
     Re: How to Patch
     Re: DragGrayRgn bug?
     Re: VIDEODISKS OR CD-ROMS with MACINTOSH in the NATURAL SCIENCES
     Re: RTF - is there a reference available ?
     File management
     Re: My 256K ROMs aren't smart enough, or Are Apple ROM programmers sloughing off?
     Calling XPram traps from assembler?
     Re: How to Patch
     Re: Saving a picture to a file
     Writing INITs
     Re: Lightspeed Pascal

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-158.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 88 14:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #159

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, November 11, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 159

Today's Topics:
     MPW Runtime startup, another method.
     chdir() and mkdir() f
     Using MPW from an AppleShare File-Server
     Re: Question about clipRect and OpenPicture
     Re: Writing INITs
     MacApp Text Editing View
     Re: LightSpeed C profiler problem
     Re: Copy to clipboard in MultiFinder
     Wanted: 3D Graphics Libraries
     Re: What's the format of an AppleDouble resource file?
     Raw Socket, EtherTalk datagram communication
     BSD-style df emulator
     X11R3 and A/UX

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-159.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 88 07:58 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #160

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, November 18, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 160

Today's Topics:
     MacWrite 5.0 on 512Ke
     Exporting formated text from RSG 4
     space Character in font
     Setting a default folder
     ImageWriter LQ
     A new Multi-Finder interface (discussion, long) plus pictures.
     Re: Datadesk 101
     Re: Does Tattle Tale INIT work?
     Re: Quicken
     Unit Attention and 2 drive MacII's
     Word 3.02 : mail merging with a large data file
     Re: Word Processing.  Why the silence?
     Re: Re: Modest proposal
     Re: Exporting formated text from RSG 4
     Re: LightSpeed Pascal pretty-printing
     Weird Bridge Behavior
     Re: Sound Manager
     LSC 3.0-QuickKeys and QuickDraw
     Sound Manager Question
     Zoo for Mac?
     Re: Virus Rx 1.0a2 Doesn't Detect nVIR
     Re: Install 6.0.2 or wait for 6.0.3
     Irish Gaelic Mac font??where??
     Re: Setting a default folder

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-160.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest