Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/26/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 25 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 120

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                      Adobe Screen Font - Symbol
                      Adobe Screen Font - Times
                         BarCode Maker DA 2.0
                       Delphi Mac Digest V4 #23
                          DIRectory 3.0 demo
                         Dt Calculator DA 2.0
                         Icon Grabber DA 2.0
                            ResTools 3.00
                         Snow desk accessory
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #166
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #167
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #168
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #169
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #170
                            Warning v1.0d2
                             Windows 1.1

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1988 15:33:57 PST
From: Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: Administrivia

The Info-Mac archives are now caught up through December 12, 1988. If you
sent something in before then and haven't seen it announced, perhaps it has
been lost in the shuffle. Please resend such items.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 88 22:58:16 EST
From: paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike)
Subject: Adobe Screen Font - Symbol

Here is Adobe's screen font for Symbol.  I've found the line spacing to be
much better than Apple's.

				Michael J. Paisley
				PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
				PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
				Office: (919) 737-7083

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>FONT-ADOBE-SYMBOL.HQX]

[Please note that these fonts are copyrighted by Adobe, and that they may
 not be redistributed without signing Adobe's form.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 88 23:01:28 EST
From: paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike)
Subject: Adobe Screen Font - Times

Here is Adobe's screen font for Times.  Also included are the style fonts for
bold, italic, and bold-italic.  You should remove ALL Times fonts from your
system BEFORE installing any/all of these fonts.

				Michael J. Paisley
				PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
				PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
				Office: (919) 737-7083

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>FONT-ADOBE-TIMES.HQX]

[Please note that these fonts are copyrighted by Adobe. They may not be

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 13:58:42 -0100
From: mcvax!tde.lth.se!sund@uunet.uu.net (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: BarCode Maker DA 2.0

BarCode Maker 2.0 DA

This desk accessory generates barcode according to some
standards common in industry applications. It was mainly
developed for evaluation of barcode readers/decoders.

Since last release:

Bug fixed which somwetimes made BCM crash while running MacWrite.
Remembers window position.

Documentation included.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-BARCODE-MAKER-20.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 08:45 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V4 #23

Delphi Mac Digest     Friday, December 9, 1988       Volume 4 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
     RE: But I wanna use \ for myself!
     6.0.2 and Macro Maker
     SoftStep SIMMs?
     re: Tempo II and INIT macros: Recommenda
     re: Re: ShowINIT (was: Re: My 256K ROMs
     Re-opening pictures (2 messages)
     MPW Editor question (2 messages)
     re: Low Memory Globals, a summary
     re: Need a clever idea...
     re: InitCursor
     burning macs (2 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #162 (2 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #168
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #169
     MacTools 7.2 Bug
     PEINT SOFT (3 messages)
     word counter upgrade>

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV4-23.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 12:46:56 -0100
From: mcvax!tde.lth.se!sund@uunet.uu.net (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: DIRectory 3.0 demo

DIRectory Demo

DIRectory 3.0 is a powerful disk catalog application with a
user interface like the Finder.

>>> Features (In some cases only valid for the commercial version)

* View the disk contents by icon, small icon or name.
* Double click through your disks.
* You can handle more then 650 disks
* Read, update and delete volumes fast and easy.
* Read all or a specific volume.
* Search for file, folder and disk names.
* Generate reports with powerful Print Options.
* Select font and size.
* You can view a Get Info window for any item.
* Clean up messy windows.
* Launch any application by double clicking its icon.
* Merge DIRectory documents.
* Read your HFS as well as your MFS disks.
* View the online short manual for quick help.
* You can use DIRectory together with MultiFinder.

<<<

>>> Notes About DIRectory Demo

* DIRectory demo document must be named "DemoLib"
* Demolib document accepts a maximum of 5 disks.
* In the demo version of DIRectory disks can only be logged by inserting
  them when the DemoLib document is open. By other means, you can't log
  harddisks through the log command found in the File menu.
* Restrictions in the demo version are explained in the help window.

<<<

Together with this information two other files have been posted. These
two files contains DIRectory compressed and BinHexed with StuffIt.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DIRECTORY-DEMO-PART1.HQX and PART2.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 13:57:27 -0100
From: mcvax!tde.lth.se!sund@uunet.uu.net (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: Dt Calculator DA 2.0

Dt Calculator 2.0 DA

Features:

* Scientific RPN ( Reverse Polish Notation ) calculator.
* Four registers in stack and 20 additional registers (R00-R19).
* Supports fixed, scientific and engineering number formats.
* Angle units: degrees, radians.
* Saves position, registers and current settings when quiting.
* Has key equivalents for frequently used keys on calculator.

All reported bugs and wanted improvements fixed.

Documentation included.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-DT-CALCULATOR-20.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 88 13:58:11 -0100
From: mcvax!tde.lth.se!sund@uunet.uu.net (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: Icon Grabber DA 2.0

Icon Grabber 2.0 October 1988

Icon Grabber is a desk accessory which let you pick any icon
>From any file as picture using standard edit commands.

Icon Grabber is distributed as shareware.

Documentation included.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-ICON-GRABBER-20.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 88 09:17:55 -0400
From: Alan Dahlbom <adahlbom@GOVERNMENT-CENTER.BBN.COM>
Subject: ResTools 3.00

This is ResTools 3.00. ResTools is a resource compiler and decompiler. It
uses an input syntax similiar to that of MPW's rez and derez. It was
meant as replacement for rmaker, for those of us who don't use MPW, but
need a resource compiler/decompiler tool like that which MPW supplies.
This new version supports more resources, is faster, and works on Mac
IIs. A few other new features have been added. It's free and has online
documentation.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RESTOOLS-30.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  8 Dec 88 21:04 MET
From: "Rick Jansen" <RICK%HASARA5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Snow desk accessory

    S N O W
        *
  *  *
    *       *
        *
   *

Here is a desk accessory that I hope will brighten your days
around christmas! It will let it snow on the desktop, i.e.
the area between windows. Set the desktop pattern to white
with the Control Panel for the best effect.

You can automatically start Snow at system startup by making
the SnowOpen (also included in the Stuffit file) application
the startup application.

Note: the snow will normally not appear inside windows. With
Multifinder however this does happen ocassionally, in inactive
windows. (Anyone knows where MultiFinder keeps its window lists?)
Also at times you may have a dead snowflake or Santa sticking
to your desktop somewhere. It won't harm you though.

Snow has a menu where you can set the number of snowflakes,
and whether or not you want to see snow or Santa at all.
Another option is to let Snow run under the Finder ONLY, i.e.
it won't snow while you're running an application.

You may freely distribute Snow, but it is NOT public domain
software. I reserve all rights.

Share and enjoy,
-Rick Jansen.

Bitnet: Rick@HASARA5

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>DA-SNOW.HQX]

[Well, it's still Christmas...]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 88 09:45 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #166

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, November 28, 1988     Volume 4 : Issue 166

Today's Topics:
     Finder proposal: "Select by..."
     New (6.0.2) Laserwriter Postscript problems?
     Graphic Editor wanted
     mac.binaries-->MSDOS---->Mac II  possible?
     Re: NuBus Info Request
     Re: Mac II with MS/DOS Card
     Re: Modula 2
     Re: Finder Improvements
     Suggestion for a new PrintMonitor
     Drawing in the menubar
     bypass my macrecorder from cd
     Screen Dumps on a Mac II
     Re: Drawing in the menubar
     Sound Manager
     AppleTalk DataStream Protocol
     Passing finder information during a "Launch" command
     Re: MPW 3.0 Beta Information
     DA problem under Multifinder
     Re: Passing finder information during a "Launch" command
     Dark Castle/BDC
     MPW 3.0B1 Questions
     Re: A/UX Support for P1003.1 OS Primitives
     MacRecorder code (long)

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-166.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 20:52 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #167

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, December 2, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 167

Today's Topics:
     Re: Imagewriter II -and- Programming
     MACNET
     Re: IconWrap for ShowINIT
     StatView SE+Graphics or GLM module, Any Info?
     Re: IconWrap for ShowINIT
     cheap printers
     cats and monitors
     Re: The Fish Report (final copy)
     Change File Creator In Very Large Group of Files
     Re: Programmer's Extender
     MacroMaker and RAM disks
     Re: New (6.0.2) Laserwriter Postscript problems?
     Re: NuBus Info Request
     Re: Memory Problems
     Re: cats and monitors
     Re: Finder proposal: "Select by..."
     Mac compatible laser printer query
     Re: Anyone know anything about CurDirStore ?
     Re: TML Pascal II
     Color Icons
     RE: removing the menu bar
     Re: MPW 3.0B1 Questions
     Re: Architectural Software for the Mac
     BroadCast and SuperMac monitor cables
     MIDI Programming on the Mac...
     looking for mac iso software
     Looking For Batteries Included
     How do *you* back up your networked Macs?

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 20:53 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #168

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, December 2, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 168

Today's Topics:
     40+MB REMOVABLE DRIVES - SUMMARY
     Re: BroadCast and SuperMac monitor cables
     Changing Mac II System CLUT
     Toolbox Doesn't Work With Viking I Monitor
     Re: MDS -> MPW asm code conversion question
     Help with Lisa
     Re: Changing Mac II System CLUT
     Bad interaction of Suitcase 1.3, System 6.0.2, and F/DA Mover 3.8 (2 messages)
     Re: Change File Creator In Very Large G
     Question on KanjiTalk 2.0
     Re: DA problem under Multifinder
     LSP 2.0 & object programming
     Re: DA problem under Multifinder
     Re: Reading data directly from MacRecorder
     Re: Drawing in the menubar
     Custom CDEFS and TrackControl()
     What do you know about System 7.0?
     Re: LSP 2.0 - Maybe I want my money back
     WriteNow 2.0 Is Here
     Bar Code Readers:  Recommendations?
     Re: Question on KanjiTalk 2.0
     Re: WriteNow 2.0 Is Here
     F/DA Mover and Multifinder was ( Bad interaction of Suitcase 1.3
     Re: LightSpeed C returning a pascal structure
     Re: Screen Dumps on a Mac II
     Re: SFGetFile and Launch
     patStretch ?
     Problem with GhostWindows and non-modal dialogs

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-168.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 20:54 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #169

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, December 2, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 169

Today's Topics:
     Re: MPW 3.0 Beta Information (2 messages)
     ASCII -> Virtual key code??
     Re: LightSpeed C returning a pascal structure
     Background-printing problem while using raw PostScript
     Re: Toolbox Doesn't Work With Viking I Monitor
     File recovery program?
     Re: apperent bug in ms word 30.1
     Re: Japanese 3.5" Diskette dumping
     Re: File recovery program?
     Bibliographic reference programs required.
     Macintosh floppy drives details
     A company out to make their customers happy! (Borland)
     Re: File recovery program?
     Re. Bibliographic reference programs desired.
     Re: Mac][ Monitor Shimmer, anyone?
     Re: Mac compatible laser printer query
     Re: F/DA Mover and Multifinder was ( Bad interaction of Suitcase 1.3
     Where's MPW C++?
     tearoff menus
     Backup Software and Hardware Recommendations
     Re: A company out to make their customers happy! (Borland)
     MacXL compatible spreadsheet?
     Re: Suggestion for a new PrintMonitor
     Re. Tear Off Menus
     4th D reference procedure request
     Cutting Edge Keyboard
     Re: MIDI Programming on the Mac...
     Why does About the Finder... jiggle?
     Serial ports

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-169.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 20:55 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #170

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, December 2, 1988      Volume 4 : Issue 170

Today's Topics:
     Re: LSC string copy bug
     MPW 3.0 on a 1 meg Mac?
     Re: LSP 2.0 ("Smallest code ever?") (2 messages)
     Re: MPW 3.0 on a 1 meg Mac?
     Need a clever idea...
     Re: patStretch ?
     Connecting Mac's directly to Ethernet
     Re: finding system folder and MPW C
     Metcom modula-2 for Macintosh
     InitCursor
     LSC Debugger
     Re: A/UX Support for P1003.1 OS Primitives
     Re: Finder Improvements (7 messages)
     Re: Reading data directly from MacRecorder

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-170.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1988 21:28:05 PST
From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: Warning v1.0d2

Here is the Warning init, version 1.0d2. This version has a number of bug
fixes which reduce the likelihood of interference with other inits and
applications.

What it does: warns you on bootup if your system is infected with the
Scores or nVIR viruses. You are presented with a friendly alert describing
the situation.

What it does not do: check for viruses in applications and repair the
system. Coming soon, coming soon.

Bill Lipa
Bitnet: lipa%polya@stanford

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>VIRUS-WARNING.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 88 17:54 MET
From: JOACHIM LINDENBERG <JOACHIM@iravcl.ira.uka.de>
Subject: Windows 1.1

Windows 1.1

Copyright 1988 Joachim Lindenberg, Sommerstrasse 4,
               7500 Karlsruhe 1, West Germany.
               All rights reserved.

Windows is shareware. If you like and use it, send me $10.
International users: Send your check, turning it into cash
costs me $ 0.30.

This is an INIT/control panel extension that will add a windows menu
to the finder and other applications.

Windows "knows" some applications that do not need a 'Windows' menu, either
because they support only one window at a time (HyperCard), or because
they have a built-in 'Windows' menu (like MPW). Windows also "knows"
some applications that need help (Finder, ResEdit). If the current
application is not known to Windows, it will search the menu bar for a
menu named Window(s) or the like. If no menu is found, a menu is
added unless you disabled Windows in the control panel.

Installation: Drag the file into the system folder and reboot (it won't
work before reboot because it wants to patch some toolbox traps before
Multifinder gets loaded). Options may be set using the control panel.

Power users: The "known" applications are represented by their creators
and stored in "ukww" resources. You may add your favorite applications
there.

Windows has been tested on a Mac+ and a Macintosh II running System
Software 5.0 and 6.0. It contains some code to test for 64KB ROMs and
pre-4.1 systems, but this hasn't been tested thoroughly.

Known problems/limitations:
- windows will list only the windows of the frontmost application. If
  someone can provide me with some insight on how to get at the windows
  of the other applications, feel free to mail that info to me.
- windows is not able to detect whether the application supports more
  than one window. It needs to "know" the creator.
- Windows will have problems with some special windows (e.g. the round
  windows of "Earth Idle"). This may make the menu useless within these
  programs, but should not interfere with general program operation.

Maybe you know Window's predecessor, Windows DA. The DA was not very
useful under MultiFinder, and it had two bugs:
- if a window's name started with a dash, a simple line appeared in
  the menu instead of the window's name.
- if two or more windows had the same name, you could not select but
  the first one.
The INIT/cdev fixes these limitations and bugs.

Joachim Lindenberg
joachim@ira.uka.de

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>CDEV-WINDOWS.HQX]

End of Info-Mac Digest