Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU ("Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, Bill Lipa") (12/28/88)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 27 Dec 88       Volume 6 : Issue 121

Today's Topics:
                    A Tape Backup for the Mac IIx
                     clocks and unreadable clocks
                     Correct release of ResEdit?
        Hypertext system with overview diagrams (part 1 of 7)
                    Speeding up AppleTalk Networks
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #171
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #172
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #173
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #174
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #175
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #176
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #177
                      Usenet Mac Digest V4 #178

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
<INFO-MAC> directory at SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Please send articles and binaries to Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.
Send administrative mail to Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu.

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 88 13:51:35 EST
From: Dan Sandini <dls@mbunix.mitre.org>
Subject: A Tape Backup for the Mac IIx

Help!

I need information fast concerning an appropriate backup decive for
the 80Mb internal drive of the Mac IIx.  The requirements are that we
are able to back up the unit quickly and cheaply.  Everyone at every
company seems to be off this week.

A secondary requirement is that we be able to share the units via tops
or some other program over the Apple Talk network.  Could we bvackup
other Macs via the net.

There seems to be very little information on backup units.  Even the
1989 buyers guide offers very little information.  Can anyone shed
some light or point me in the right direction?

Please respond directly:

					dls@mbunix.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 26 December 1988  9:05pm
From: zoda537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu ("Josh Hayes")
Subject: clocks and unreadable clocks

Please to post this in some digest soon.

My clock has gone cuckoo (sorry about that)--I have a program
installed on my hard disk which apparently requires a peek at
the clock to decide if it's been pirated or not, and claims that
it is unable to read the clock and thus won't run.  I have:

1. Changed the battery, twice.  Uh-uh.

2. Tossed my Alarm Clock DA and replaced it.  Nope.

3. Tossed entire system and finder; no change.

4. Gotten mad, sicced resedit on it, but I have no idea what
I'm looking for--help!

Other symptoms:  the clock really is goofy.  After prolonged down
time (like overnight) it becomes convinced that it's some strange
time in the year 1904, usually January of 1904--or maybe it's
2004?--anyway, it does act as if the battery is bad although all
other hot ports seem to retain the correct settings.  I'd love
to hear your diagnoses, please e-mail to me or to info-mac if
it's judged of sufficiently broad interest.  Thanks muchly.

Josh Hayes                          zoda537@uta3081.bitnet
Zoology Department                  zoda537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu
University of Texas,Austin
Austin, TX  78712

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 88 11:16:18 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Correct release of ResEdit?

Would someone like to set the record straight on just what the correct
release of ResEdit is? I have two copies, ResEdit 1.2b1.1, created 27jul88,
and ResEdit 1.2d2, created 25jan88. It would appear obvious to me, that the
one with the latest creation date is the most recent, yet the version
numbers have me confused. Please email to me.

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some
                            MS-DOS. JUST SAY NO!"
ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa   UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

[The d stands for development, which comes before a (alpha), which comes
 before b (beta). So 1.2b1 is the more recent version. I believe the most
 current version available is 1.2b3.    - Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 88 17:15:35 DNT
From: Jakob Nielsen  Tech Univ of Denmark <DATJN%NEUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypertext system with overview diagrams (part 1 of 7)

The following is a HyperCard stack which is really an
entire hypertext system: It contains facilities for
"footprinting" the users interaction history as well
as navigation aids such as dynamic overview diagrams and a
history list.
The subject of the hypertext is a report from the HyperTEXT'87
conference in Chapel Hill, NC.

It is version 3 of the system stored (in version 1) on info-mac as
HC-HYPERTEXT-WORKSHOP-PART1.HQX to ..PART4.HQX

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-HYPERTEXT-PART1.HQX through PART7.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 88 12:35 EST
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@wpafb-aamrl.arpa:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: Speeding up AppleTalk Networks

We just finished putting in a AppleTalk network and I am unimpressed with it
(mostly because it is sooo slow.  We have had an ethernet LAN going for quite
some time now and I am used to the 10 MBit/sec speeds.  When we put in the MAC
Network I wanted to put everything on ethernet, but you couldn't buy an
interface card for the Laserwriters, so we went with LocalTalk.

I have been looking through some of the magazines on MACs (by the way, which
ones are people recommending as the best ones to keep up with?) and I noticed
that a few companies offer so boxes to spped up the network.  The ones I have
seen advertised so far ar the TOPS FlashBox by SUN Microsystems and COMPUNET
>From Trimar USA, Inc.

I was wonderring if anyone has any comments on these boxes or any other boxes
of the like.  I am especially interested in how they work with a Kinetics
FastPath (IV) gateway to ethernet (used to communicate with a VAX via
AlisaTalk and NCSA TELNET [TCP/IP]).

Also, does anyone have any comments on tying in a PhoneNet LAN with a
LocalTalk LAN?  We started with LocalTalk, but it looks like we will switch to
PhoneNet due to distance considerations.

Thanks for any info you can offer.  I need to get up to speed on Macintosh
Networking and I can use all the experienced help I can get.

Ted Nieland
|                M. Edward (Ted) Nieland - Systems Analyst                   |
| US Snail:                            | Arpa Internet:                      |
| Systems Research Laboratories, Inc.  | TNIELAND@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA           |
| 2800 Indian Ripple Road   WP 196     | TNIELAND%FALCON@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA    |
| Dayton, OH  45440                    |                                     |
| A T & T:  (513) 255-8846/8760/5165                                         |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 08:32 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #171

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 10, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 171

Today's Topics:
     LaserPrinter Cleaner Stuff (The Green Stick)
     INIT 30, Fancy Mouse Tracking
     Jumbled text. Fractional font problem?
     Re: One more time: Turning a Mac ii on its side...
     Re: Re: DA Handler Improvements (Was: Finder Improvements)
     New improved NCSA Telnet with ftp client (Macintosh)
     Re: A company out to make their customers happy! (Borland)
     What's the best typing tutor for the Mac?
     Re: multiple hard drives => one volume
     EPS conventions. From whence do they come?
     Epson Printer Driver
     Re: Serial ports
     Canvas II
     inv.control??
     Re: soundmanager question
     Any recommendations for books about programming C on the Macintosh?
     Re: MPW 3.0 Beta Information (2 messages)
     Thanks! (was "Question about "GrafPort transfer modes"..)
     Re: LaserPrinter Cleaner Stuff (The Green Stick)
     Re: Opening an application's Data Fork
     Compiling with MPW Projector - Is this obvious??
     random LightspeedC questions
     Re: Smalltalks for the Mac....
     Re: Stingy Internal SE Hard Drive
     Re: Borland Support
     Bad-block sealer needed!
     Multilaunch on TOPS and APPLESHARE
     MPW3.0 on a 1 Meg Mac
     Problems with Think Pascal 2.0

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-171.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 08:54 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #172

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 10, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 172

Today's Topics:
     Do you get sources with A/UX?
     m_expand & /usr/lib/big
     Disk Crashes & Cancelled Prints
     Re: Give me back the Simple Beep!
     Re: Finder proposal: "Select by..."
     Re: tearoff menus
     Re: Any recommendations for books about programming C on the Macintosh?
     InsideOut
     Passing a filterproc to SF(P)PutFile's Alerts
     Re: Passing info when transfering
     Re: Problems with Think Pascal 2.0
     Re: TML Pascal vs. LSP 2.0
     Re: Problems with Think Pascal 2.0 (2 messages)
     Virtual Key Code assignments
     Re: TML Pascal II (Really: MPW Upgrade Cost)
     Re: Creating Overlay Fonts Using Fontographer
     Re: Looking For Batteries Included
     Re: Mac II Pool game?
     Re: Multilaunch on TOPS and APPLESHARE
     Big Screens for the MAC II
     Mac II processor upgrades
     Re: WriteNow 2.0 Is Here
     Re: Multilaunch on TOPS and APPLESHARE
     File Recovery (Summary)
     Re: List Items Handling...
     Re: Serial ports

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-172.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 08:55 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #173

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 10, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 173

Today's Topics:
     PC Tools Deluxe Bug (long)
     Re: List Items Handling...
     Re: What's the best typing tutor for the Mac?
     Info Needed - Joining Macs to PC-NFS Sun System
     Re: Thanks! (was "Question about "GrafPort transfer modes"..)
     Re: Passing info when transfering
     Pascal Benchmarks and Samples Wanted
     Lightspeed Pascal 2.0
     Midi and such
     Re: nVIR virus found in "Kill Virus"
     Questions?
     Re: Mac II recommendation
     Re: Mac Plus ??
     Serial -> parallel info ?
     THINK's Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 Benchmark Results
     Re: Smalltalks for the Mac....
     List Manager scroll thumb dies in INIT.  HELP!!
     Re: DA problem under Multifinder
     Stereo Sound Code
     Re: Do you get sources with A/UX? (2 messages)
     Re: m_expand & /usr/lib/big
     Is there an optics calculation package for the mac?...
     Re: F/Da Mover question.  Never seen this before!
     Re: Mac Plus ??

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-173.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 08:57 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #174

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 10, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 174

Today's Topics:
     Re: Dark Castle Sounds
     Laserwrite IISC query
     Looking for a Mac ADA
     Re: Disabled Menu Items -- Cons and Pros
     Microsoft International
     Where and when is the San Francisco net dinner in Janurary?
     Re: help needed dragging a non-rectangular PICT
     Dragging playing pieces on a playing field (ANIMATION)...
     Re: Disabled Menu Items -- Cons and Pros
     Re: F/Da Mover question.  Never seen this before!
     Re: Passing info when transfering
     OpenResFile
     Re: Dragging playing pieces on a playing field (ANIMATION)...
     Re: Compiling with MPW Projector - Is this obvious??
     Re: m_expand & /usr/lib/big
     System 8.0: no more DA's.
     Not Booting off Floppy
     MacDrums
     Re: Desktop Manager, what it is/isn't & suggestions
     Strange things in the System Folder
     Re: System 8.0: no more DA's.
     LSC 3.01 & 68881 linking problems (2 messages)
     tape back, A/UX, and sun-cartridge compatibility

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-174.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:25 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #175

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 17, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 175

Today's Topics:
     Re: More Finder Improvements
     Charging for network laser usage
     Re: Disk initialization Icons
     Re: System 8.0: no more DA's.
     Re: Bibliographic reference programs required.
     4 Meg simms
     MAC Ada: Summary
     Re: Bibliographic reference programs required.
     Use of Coin and Parchment in Quarterstaff
     Re: 4 Meg simms
     Re: MacTools 7.2 bug & patch
     Word Processor (and Mac) statistics....
     A Word/Embedded Postscript Question (2 messages)
     help needed with Expert System "bugs"
     News and mail software for Macintosh
     Re: A Word/Embedded Postscript Question
     Re: 4 Meg simms
     Hard Disk Partition Summary (2 messages)
     Brief description of Ashton-Tate presentation on Fullwrite
     Protecting Diskette from eject an write IN SOFTWARE
     Re: PC Tools Deluxe Bug (long)
     Re: Disabled Menu Items -- Cons and Pros
     How to use Time Manager
     Programming hint: INITs
     Re: How to use Time Manager

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-175.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:27 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #176

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 17, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 176

Today's Topics:
     answers to assorted LSC ?s
     Calling routines in a large unsegmented piece of code (2 messages)
     List Manager Torment
     LSC segmentation
     Re: List Manager Torment
     Ever use Shana's "Inside Out"?
     Re: How to use Time Manager
     Re: Compiling with MPW Projector - Is this obvious??
     Re: LSC 3.01 & 68881 linking problems
     Re: personal finance packages
     re: Cheap diskettes (A Bargain?)
     That New script thing
     PostScript - oriented graphic application - a reccomendation please
     LSP 2.0: Many +s, one -
     Re: A Word/Embedded Postscript Question
     Re: Word Processor (and Mac) statistics....
     Set Shut Down Application
     Problems printing source in LSP 2.0
     CDC Wren V Hard Disk <--> Mac II??
     Microsoft Word mailmerge...?
     Re: personal finance packages
     Need help with Localtalk/Phonenet installation?
     LSC multiple resources to one file
     Arabic Interface System Problems
     Re: Brief description of Ashton-Tate presentation on Fullwrite
     Digitizer Tablet Info Requested
     Fax Modems for Macintosh
     AppleShare backups
     Re: Creating Overlay Fonts Using Fontographer
     Re: MPW LINK error - Global data area size.
     Re: personal finance packages

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-176.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:30 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #177

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 17, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 177

Today's Topics:
     Re: Info Needed - Joining Macs to PC-NFS Sun System
     Re: 4 Meg simms
     Multifinder Ramdisk
     Astronomical Image Processing
     ZBasic 5.0?
     Re: Macsbug
     Re: Bibliographic reference programs required.
     A/UX generic SCSI driver and Syquest 44Mb removable drives
     Mac II monitor that accepts Video
     Looking for concurrent document-handling software
     Code Resource Numbers
     Reaction Timing
     Bug in LSC 3.0's DRVR numbering
     PopupMenus in a DA under Excel
     Re: Bug in LSC 3.0's DRVR numbering
     Re: A/UX and 3rd party hard drives
     Re: Mac Maintenance
     Re: A Word/Embedded Postscript Question--Thanks
     "Just Enough Pascal"?
     Re: Multifinder Ramdisk
     Re: Info Needed - Joining Macs to PC-NFS Sun System
     Re: A Word/Embedded Postscript Question
     Re: Multifinder Ramdisk
     Re: Jasmine LaserPrinter
     Does your ImageWriter "best" output SUCK?  Try this ...
     More II --should I bother?
     MacII/Compaq386 comparison
     Re: 4 Meg simms
     Re: Multifinder Ramdisk
     Re: System 8.0: no more DA's.
     Re: Protecting Diskette from eject an write IN SOFTWARE
     Re: Info Needed - Joining Macs to PC-NFS Sun System
     Software for Networked Macs???
     Re: Digitizer Tablet Info Requested
     List Manager Problem
     LSC and serial ports
     color "xor"

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-177.ARC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 08:32 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #178

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, December 17, 1988   Volume 4 : Issue 178

Today's Topics:
     Re: List Manager Problem
     THINKC 3.0 io.h teeensy error..
     Re: Quickdraw ovals
     Re: color "xor"
     A/UX questions abound...
     Oids
     Image processing on the Mac - 2-d FFTs
     MacroMaker vs. MPW 3.0b1, FadeToBlack vs.,  AutoIdle vs. SilverServer
     Editing the LaserWriter (old) driver...
     MS Word 3.x justification bug.  Help!!
     Laserwriter IISC
     Re: power variations
     LSP 2.0 (smaller code...You betcha)
     Re: System 8.0: no more DA's.
     Re: File recovery program?
     Re: upgrade for MAC 128?
     Re: System 8.0: no more DA's.
     Re: Oids
     Re: how do you print a postscript file
     Re: MacII/Compaq Speed Comparision
     Re: Laserwriter IISC
     FlashBox anyone?
     Apples tester does not test.
     Annoying System Bug
     Re: LSC multiple resources to one file
     Renumbering fonts
     Re: LSC multiple resources to one file
     Re: Quickdraw ovals
     How does the Finder keep track of icons?
     Re: color "xor"
     Time Manager -- please help!
     Re: MPW 3.0 Beta Information

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>USENETV4-178.ARC]

End of Info-Mac Digest