Date: Mon, 02 Jan 89 15:15:57 EST
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM.BITNET>
Subject: Absoft Fortran

I acquired Absoft Fortran recently. Though I am use with the language, I never
used the R Maker to add resources. I would appreciate if someone would send me
a simple example showing me how to add resources to a program. For instance
making a menu bar and insert it in a program. Thanks to those who will reply.
Please reply directly to R31631@UQAM.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Jan 89 03:28:16 PST
From: Fernando Borcel <borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu>
Subject: FKEY-ROT13-HQX

This is an FKEY I wrote which will encrypt/decrypt text that's in the clipboard
using rot13 mode.

------
    ___                       __                |{tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!
   /   _  _  _  _  _  _/ _   /_/  _  _  _  _ /  |  jacobs.cs.orst.edu!borcelf
  /- /_// // / _// // // /  /  )/ // //  /_//   |
_/  /_ /  / //_// //_//_/  /__//_//  /_ /_ /_   |borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>FKEY-ROT13.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Jan 1989 01:01 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Game - Shufflepuck

SHUFFLEPUCK IS A GAME WHICH IS SIMILAR IN NATURE TO SHUFFLEBOARD, BUT IS
PLAYED ON THE MAC.  SOUNDS BORING HUH? WELL, FOR ONCE IT'S NOT.  IT IS
PLAYED WITHIN A PSEUDO-TRENCH WHICH IS THREE-DIMENSIONAL, AND CAN GET
QUITE QUICK.  SOUNDS ARE PRETTY GOOD AND ARE DEACTIVATABLE.  GO NUTS!

BYE FOR NOW BUT NOT FOR LONG
GREENY

P.S. THE BINHEXED FILE TURNS INTO A STUFFIT DOCUMENT THAT CONTAINS JUST
THE PROGRAM....I DIDN'T GET ANY DOCS WITH IT, BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS CHECK OUT
THE "ABOUT SHUFFLE..." BOX IN THE APPLE MENU...

BITNET: MISS026@E
INTERNET: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@C
GENIE: GREENY

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>GAME-SHUFFLEPUCK.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 89 14:13 N
From: <KRAALING%HWALHW50.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info wanted on OCR.

Dear Net,

We want to convert printed text back to ascii files by using a scanner and a
software package. I recall having seen this subject some time ago
on the net. My questions are:

1) does this require a scanner and software by the same manufacturer
   or do these packages read different types of scanned files ?

2) could someone inform me on a scanner and software package that
   has good performance ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel van Kraalingen
Department of Theoretical Production Ecology
Agricultural University of Wageningen
The Netherlands

bitnet: kraalingen@hwalhw50

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 89 10:02:21 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: MandelZot 1.4.1

This two-part posting contains version 1.4.1 of MandelZot, a program
for exploring the Mandelbrot fractal and its surroundings.  This version
replaces the 0.9 version posted last spring.

MandelZot 1.4.1 supports the Mac Plus, SE, and II;  I haven't tested it
on a IIx or on the not-yet-announced 68030 SE machine.  It runs best on
machines equipped with a 68881, as its calculations are extremely
math-intensive;  it will run on 68881-less machines with substantially
lower performance.  It supports Color QuickDraw, with both high- and
low-contrast color palettes and color-palette animation.  Images can be
copied to the Clipboard and pasted into other applications' documents,
or converted into startup screens via ResEdit.  MZ 1.4.1 can be used to
print images, too... it should work correctly with any printer that
supports QuickDraw (including color-slide printers, I believe), and can
print halftone images to the LaserWriter if it's run on a Mac II.

MandelZot is Copyright 1988, Dave Platt.  It may be used by anyone;  no
shareware fee is requested.  It may not be sold commercially.

Documentation and some sample data files follow in separate postings.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>APPL-MANDELZOT-141-PART1.HQX through PART2
             <INFO-MAC>APPL-MANDELZOT-141-DOCS-PART1.HQX through PART3
             <INFO-MAC>APPL-MANDELZOT-SAMPLES.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Jan 89 18:09 EST
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@dockmaster.arpa>
Subject: Printer bombs

I am having consistent problems trying to print with system 6.0.2 using
a NEC Silentwriter.  MacPaint prints 2 pages correctly, then only prints
1/4 of the next page before ejecting that page and dying.  Other
programs have similar problems.  Usually they bomb with code 02.
Occasionally it appears that the system tries to initialize the printer
twice bofore it bombs.  Any help with this will be greatly appreciated
as it is quite a pain.  I did try using the LaserWriter and Prep files
>From System 5, but it didn't do anything different.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1988 15:43:31 PST
From: "Sang K. Cha" <chask@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: Question on adding unsupported disk drivers

I am trying to attach a new (unsupported) disk-like storage device to
Mac II's SCSI slot.  Could anybody kindly tell me what to do to make
the driver integrated into Mac OS environment?  And how difficult is it?
Thanks in advance.

- S.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  2 Jan 89 16:15 CST
From: <BCC376@SWTEXAS>
Subject: ResEdit documentation

Does anyone know if documentation for ResEdit exists?  I am a new Mac user
and am trying to learn all I can about Mac applications.  Also, is there
a source for "all there is to know" about resources? Any and all help
will be greatly appreciated.

                               Thanx,
                                Biff Coon
                                BCC376@SWTEXAS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 88 16:13:39 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SPSS (apparently SPSS-X!) for the Macintosh

Found on page 25 of the 2 January '89 InfoWorld (by Scott Mace)
*emphasis added*

SPSS Inc. recently announced plans to bring out a Macintosh version of
its statistical software in mid-1989.

SPSS said it has signed an agreement with Managment Computer
International AB of Stockholm, Sweden to jointly develop the
statistical data analysis package for the Macintosh II and SE
computers.  The package will contain the FULL FUNCTIONALITY of the SPSS
mainframe statistical products and will have a Macintosh user
interface, the company said.

"In the past year we have seen a growing demand for SPSS products on
the Macintosh" said Norman H. Nie, chariman and cofounder of SPSS Inc.
SPSS is already available on mainframes and IBM PCs.

Management Computer International will work closely with Datalogen AB
of Uppsala, Sweden, in development of the user interface.  Datalogen is
a leading Scandinavian company for Macintosh training, according to Bo
Jansson, Management Computer's owner.

SPSS had to trim some of the more advanced functions out of its
DOS-based product due to the 640K memory barrier.  "We won't have to do
that with our Macintosh product," said Louise Rehling, SPSS' senior
vice president of product development.  The advanced functions are
primarily in advanced file and data management capabilities, she said.

SPSS is working on the Macintosh version in conjunction with its OS/2
Presentation Manager program, which will have a similar user interface.

SPSS Inc., 444 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611; (312) 329-2400.

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Jan 89 22:38:30 gmt
From: Stephen Page <sdpage%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Which is the best Postscript book?

I see there are several Postscript books - three from Adobe, and one
by David Holzgang, that I know of. As these are very expensive in the UK
and I may have to buy a copy by mail order, can anyone suggest which
is the most useful for someone who wants to learn about writing
short Postscript routines to embed in Mac files? Is there any
useful supplementary material available which describes the Apple
extensions carried in the Laserwriter header?

End of Info-Mac Digest