Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/10/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  9 Jan 89       Volume 7 : Issue   4

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                        CMS Utilities (>100MB)
                            GateKeeper 1.0
                            HP LaserJet II
                  Hypercard help and midi interfaces
                            Imagewriter LQ
                       Kermit for the Macintosh
                  MacDraw II font substitution fixed
                  Problem with VersaTerm Smart Mouse
                             RAM Disk 1.0
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #3
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #4
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #5

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu and also in the <info-mac>
directory on sumex-2060.stanford.edu.

Send administrative mail to info-mac-request.stanford.edu.

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1989 17:08:54 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

Sumex-2060 went down this weekend due to a drive crash. It may come up next
week. It may come up tomorrow. It may never come up again.

Therefore, you may wish to learn how to use the info-mac archive at the new
machine, sumex-aim.stanford.edu. The main difference is that this archive is
organized as a set of directories rather than a huge list of files. Macserve
will undoubtedly choke when confronted by this new structure. We are
wondering what to do about that.

However, you lucky FTP users should have no problems. Login as anonymous,
like before. Then type "cd info-mac" to change to the info-mac root
directory. From there, "dir" or "ls" should show you all the smaller
directories you can cd to. Names are all lowercase.

Caveat #1: we may well decide to reorganize files, create new directories,
and so forth. We are publicizing this new archive before it is really ready
because of the service interruption at Sumex-2060.

Caveat #2: the files are incompletely organized. New files (files which were
archived since I became a moderator) are stored in their proper directory.
Old files are awaiting further organization in the directory sumex-2060.

Caveat #3: not all files from sumex-2060 have made it over to sumex-aim. We
have copies of all HQX, TXT, and SHAR files, but not the others. Other things
are sort of old and we are wondering whether it is worthwhile to bring them
over.

Best of luck. As usual, report all problems to our administrative address,
info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 89 09:55:14 CST
From: Paul Fons <FONS@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: CMS Utilities (>100MB)

We have a CMS 102MB hard disk here on our mac II and it is acting
strangely.  More and more frequently it does not appear on the desktop
when the machine is rebooted.  It is accessible by our version 3.2 of
the CMS utilities however.  When one tries to for example install new
drivers, it comes back with BAD SCSI READ INSTALLATION FAILED after
a rather long delay.  Similarly the verify option comes back with the
same error and the statement VERIFY FAILED.  The strange thing is that
zapping the pram SOMETIMES helps (not always) and both the verify and
install new drivers options work fine.  What I was curious about is that
we are running 6.02 and using version 3.2 (over 100MB version) of the
CMS utility program.  Could the problem be that the drivers are
out of date.  Thanks for any help that you can offer.
                                                     FONS@UIUCVMD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  6 Jan 89 13:52:14 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Subject: GateKeeper 1.0

Hi Chris,
   Thanks creating GateKeeper, it appears to be an excellent program.  But I am
a bit worried about how GateKeeper interacts with other anti-viral and disk
protection inits.  I am currently running Vaccine and Guardian by SUM, plus
Font/Da Juggler+, Disktop, Macintalk, and AutoBlack.
Do you know if GateKeeper is compatible with these inits, particularly Vaccine
and Guardian?
Does it matter what order these inits are loaded into memory?
What will happen if a virus tries to infect my MAC, and both Vaccine and
GateKeeper try to prevent the infection?

I cc this letter to the info-mac bboard, because I think other people are also
interested in this subject.

Thanks once again for GateKeeper
John Salmento
Engineering and Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
ziggy@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 89 01:37 CST
From: <BRK3968%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Brian Klaas)
Subject: HP LaserJet II

Does anyone have any experience with using a HP Laser Jet with a Macintosh?
I am interested in what software is required, and what problem/solutions
others have found working with this printer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian Klaas
<BRK3968@TAMVENUS.bitnet>
<BRK3968@TAMSIGMA.bitnet>  (preferred)

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  8 Jan 89  20:48:46 EST
From: Publice%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hypercard help and midi interfaces

Hello,  I have just begun to try and program a large application in
Hypercard for my father and need some help!

The idea is this....
It is a hypercard stack designed for holding his art history files.  Each
card has a:
             date
             brief description of document to follow
             text or document (up to 50 pages in length)
             commentry -- bibliography.

Now most of this stuff is easy.  The hard part is this:  the commentry
is a list of related documents.  These must be organized chronlogically.
In addition, you must be able to just "double click" on any of the
above references and have hypercard jump to the card of that reference.
I have no idea how to do this.   Is this an application worth programming
in Hypercard?  I like hypercard because I can make the working of the program
totally invisible to my father...who is can't handle the VCR....

I have thought about doing this in Double Helix II, but the program is just
not suited to this application.  Any help on this would be great, whether
it is in the form of Hypercard help or suggestions of other programs that
would be better.......

I am also interest in any information anyone can tell me about midi interfaces

Thanks for any help

Damian Roskill
Updike@UMass....

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jan 89 22:44:27 GMT
From: unet!unet.UUCP!aschool@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Adam Schoolsky)
Subject: Imagewriter LQ

RESPONSE:
I had purchased an LQ earlier this year, and after a 4 month wait to get it
I was very disappointed with its operation. I will outline its shortcomings
below. I have had no experience with the SC, but it's rather expensive, and
doesn't buy you *anything* that an HP LaserJet won't do. They both have the
same *engine* and neither support Postscript. This is not the best approach
if you (your father)want to take full advantage of some DTP software like
Pagemaker.

Problems with the LQ (THE **EDSEL** OF THE PRINTER INDUSTRY):

1) The printer doesn't work well with *tractor* feed paper. The paper path
on the LQ is *very* critical, and the best way to use the tractor is in the
*pull* mode which requires that the paper be fed from the bottom, rather
than from the back. If you use either mode, you'll find that entire lines of
characters will be *split* in half horizontally, in other words white space
that makes the characters look lousy. This is of course unacceptable for any
type of business communications.

2) The thing is as slow as a *DOG*. It typically takes *5* minutes to print
a single page in *best* mode using MS Word 3.02. What a joke!

3) The LQ could be sold as *Electronic NO-DOZ* not loud enough to awaken
your neighbors, but will set your dog in a frenzy!

4) The LQ's software driver also causes entire lines of characters to be run
together, bacically removing the spaces between words, requiring the page to
be printed, then you can figure out where you need to put in *more* spaces
to make the text look like it should have in the first place.

5) The LQ requires that you use the LQ fonts (Times, Helvetica, Courier and
Symbol) to get optimal print quality. In addition the *best* quality
mandates that the system have fonts resident *3 times* as large as you
actually want to print. For example, if you want to print in 9 pt., a 27 pt.
font *must* be installed; likewise to print in 27 pt. a 72 pt. font must be
installed. So, these 4 fonts that are supplied, take up something like *500K
bytes* on your disk. There aren't many LQ fonts around from 3rd party
vendors, and the regular ImageWriter fonts don't print well, and the
spacing is even more screwed up, if you can imagine!

6) The manual states (and I can testify) that one *should not* print within
the top 1 inch or bottom 1 inch of a page. Like I said, the printer does not
feed paper very well (works a bit better with the cut-sheet feeder, but not
much), so, near these regions "...reduced print quality will occur." I'll
just say that this is a *genuine, bonafide understatement*.

CLOSING COMMENTS: (Reader's Digest Version)

I was not able to get the problems rectified by the local Apple service
folks. I contacted Apple customer service at the Cupertino, CA headquarters,
and was treated *very rudely*. Not being one to take this sort of thing
litely, I packed the thing up, wrote a letter to John Sculley, copied
MacWorld, and MacUser, then carted the wole mess down to Mr. Sculley's
office, and dumped the thing on his secretary's desk, and left. Well I caused
some eyebrows to raise over there, and they were very apolagetic. In addition,
they gave me a *new* LQ and a free cut-sheet feeder. Unfortunately, this didn't
work any better, and after ridiculing them some more about releasing such a
sub-standard product (I went so low as to equate the LQ to an Apple III), they
offered, and I accepted a *new* LaserWriter IINT. So, don't waste your money
on an LQ. I recommend using a *Grappler LQ* with someone elses 24 pin printer,
NEC, or Epson for example. Or buy an HP LaserJet, or equivalent.

Oh yes, the LaserWriter works beautifully.
Good Luck, and If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

Adam Schoolsky                            (ames, oliveb) !unet!aschool
                                          Fone: 415-780-5773

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 89 09:13:01 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit for the Macintosh

   I believe you can order Kermit directly from Columbia University (the
keeper of Kermit).  Try writing to:

  Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
     New York, NY  10027

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Jan 89 23:43:09 gmt
From: Stephen Page <sdpage%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: MacDraw II font substitution fixed

Further to my enquiry a month or so ago:
Thanks to help from Claris, I have now obtained a copy of the
bugfix version (1.0V4) of MacDraw II, and confirmed that this
version fixes the font substitution functionality which was
missing from the first release. To get font substitution enabled,
uncheck "fractional widths" in the "Preferences" dialogue box.
(For those who haven't been following this Digest, version 1.0V4 is
obtainable on request from Claris - it is not sent automatically
to MacDraw II owners.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 89 00:36 EST
From: <TEMPLON%IUCF.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Problem with VersaTerm Smart Mouse

        I need help solving a problem with VersaTerm.  The problem is
with the smart-mouse cursor positioning feature.  I have tried this
both with Arrow-mouse and EMACS-mouse options (using the trick suggested
in the manual about redefining the proper control keys) and with both
standard EDT and TPU editors on a VAX running VMS 4.6.  All works fine
except when the target location is either on the first two or last two
lines of the visible screen (and the initial cursor location is not
within the same two-line region as the target location.)  For this
situation, the cursor just seems to wander about for a while and stop in
some random mid-screen location.
        I am using an SE running system 6.0 (monoFinder) and communicating
over a hayes compatible modem (MAXUM) with a VAX 8650 over good-old Ma
Bell telephone lines.
        Anybody have a solution to this problem?  Is Mr. Abelbeck on the
net?  Oh, yeah, and does anybody know what the things under "Extras..."
do?  The manual is a bit out-of-date on this point; the dialog box in
the manual bears no resemblance to the one on my screen !?!

                                        Jeff Templon
                                Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

P.S. I should add that I am VERY satisfied with VersaTerm, and with
smart-mouse except for this problem - when I ordered it I didn't even
know it had this feature!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 89 23:14:40 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: RAM Disk 1.0

This posting contains RAM Disk 1.0, by Takayuki Karahashi.

RAM Disk 1.0 is a RAM-disk installer with a bit of a twist... it's an
INIT/cdev combination.  Drop a copy of it into your System folder, open
the Control Panel, select the RAM Disk, configure the disk's size and
name, close the Control Panel, and reboot. The RAM disk will be installed
automatically.

I haven't tested the RAM disk extensively.  It appears to function
correctly under System 6.0.2 and MultiFinder, and to be reasonably
reliable.  If you (deliberately or accidentally) trash the RAM disk, it
simply remounts itself with contents intact.

Naturally, the RAM disk goes away when you reboot the Mac (or if the Mac
bombs);  all of its contents will be lost.  Perhaps to make this fact
_very_ clear, the RAM disk's icon is a "black hole" in your desktop.

RAM Disk 1.0 is "freeware";  the author can be contacted on Compu$erve.

[Archived as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RAMDISK.HQX]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 89 15:03 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #3

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, January 6, 1989         Volume 5 : Issue 3

Today's Topics:
     Re: Image processing on the Mac - 2-d FFTs
     Re: Why can't we speed up the mouse?
     System Heap vs. BufPtr (Re: Using VBL Tasks in Inits...)
     A Partial (but Useful) Look at mcky resources
     Imagewriter clones
     Re: Compiling with MPW Projector - Is this obvious??
     Re: VBLS are OK above BufPtr
     Re: multitasking and IPC (was: System 8.0: no more DA's.)
     Re: INITs and ShutDown routines
     Epyx rogue for the MAC
     Re: Real Time Handwriting Recognition
     Re: X-INIT (thanks Juri Munkki)
     Re: Compiling with MPW Projector - Is this obvious??
     Re: Epyx rogue for the MAC
     Re: Help needed for recoverying FW doc.
     Re: Epyx rogue for the MAC
     Re: multitasking and IPC (was: System 8.0: no more DA's.)
     UNIX MacServe (or any other net server) emulator for NFS - INFO PLS.
     Re: Imagewriter clones
     Re: LSC debugging code resources
     Help!! ?Changed Menu Made Permanent? (2 messages)
     LSP 2.0 problem

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-003.txt]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 89 15:04 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #4

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, January 6, 1989         Volume 5 : Issue 4

Today's Topics:
     "INIT 29" virus report
     Status of Tek88000 board
     Re: Imagewriter clones
     Looking for Centronics-style parallel interface card for Mac II
     replacing nth occurance on line
     Dollars and Sense end of year
     Cutting Edge floppy drive
     RSG 4.5 (was Re: Status of MS Word 4.0)
     Re: replacing nth occurance on line
     Disk drive problem (maybe)?
     Re: HFS Consistency Check?
     warning about Lunarcrack v1.0
     Concertware+,DMCS (reviews requested) (2 messages)
     Re: Status of MS Word 4.0
     More RSG 4.5 complaints
     MacDraw type defaults
     Any detailed info on CAPPS Prime...? (2 messages)
     C I/O differences (HELP!)
     Re: Apple HD SC 80 does not support Asynch i/o.
     Re: Printer idle proc
     MacinTalk Compatible Sound?
     Re: Any detailed info on CAPPS Prime...
     Re: Ehman Engineering drives for Mac - ever heard of them?

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-004.txt]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 89 15:05 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #5

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, January 6, 1989         Volume 5 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
     Crunched Shell is now public domain
     'snd ' resources as instruments
     Wanted: Investment Strategy Software
     Diagnosing disk drive problems and Cleaning
     PD DSP Programs?
     Re: More RSG 4.5 complaints
     Re: Monitor Noise...
     Status of C++ on the MacOS & A/UX
     Generating ASCII NUL in Works 2.0?
     Re: Ehman Engineering drives for Mac - ever heard of them?
     Colony question (spoiler!)
     re. Nettrek crashes on Mac II
     Re: How does the Finder tell diskettes apart?
     Using the wave-table synth in the Mac II Sound Manager
     Updating dialogs
     Stack manipulation problems
     NewHandle & No Memory
     Re: Updating dialogs
     Re: Printer idle proc
     Ptrace Bug on A/UX
     Printf Core Dumps on A/UX
     Re: Telebit Trailblazer + and A/UX

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-005.txt]

End of Info-Mac Digest