Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/13/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 12 Jan 89       Volume 7 : Issue   6

Today's Topics:
                          Another Finder Bug
              Autoblack and SUM Guardian incompatibility
                   Buy A/UX without Apple HD 80 Mb
             Can the Mac handle a medium-sized database ?
                      CDC WREN V 192MBHD Blues.
                        disk drive enclosures
                            Help Generator
               How to send PostScript output to a file?
               LQ-Printer ribbon -- use of all colours?
                    Mac SIMMS (Memory 1M) for Sale
                MAC startup problem - ........S.O.S.!!
               ZTerm 0.7 terminal emulator, part 1 of 3

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (via anonymous FTP) in the
info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu and also in the <info-mac>
directory on sumex-2060.stanford.edu.

Send administrative mail to info-mac-request.stanford.edu.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 13:54:54 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Another Finder Bug

Here's another stupid Finder bug.  Open a disk's window.  Now open a folder's
window.  BEFORE clicking in the new window, start dragging a selection
rectangle on the desktop.  The marquee will be clipped to the first window,
not the second.  Once you click anywhere in the second window, the behavior
will disappear.

This happens on my Mac II and SE running 6.0.2, MultiFinder or not, so perhaps
that rewrite for 7.0 will be easier for Apple to deal with than just fixing
silly bugs like this.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 16:38 MST
From: GASick%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Autoblack and SUM Guardian incompatibility

In a recent archive I noticed that John Salmento was concerned about the
compatibility of Gatekeeper and some of his INITS.  I know nothing about
Gatekeeper, but he already has an incompatibility between SUM's Guardian
and the Autoblack (MacsBug) screen dimmer.  On my Mac + with System 5.0,
the Autoblack screen dimmer prevents Guardian from catching the Shut
Down hook from the Finder.  Thus, you don't get the Volume Save file
updated by Guardian when you shut down.  You know it is working if you
see the shield cursor when you shut down.
 -- Gordon Sick

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 15:05:16 +0100
From: vandelft%HLERUL5I.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Buy A/UX without Apple HD 80 Mb

I am interested in buying A/UX, but I do not want to buy the 80 Mb
hard disk from Apple. There are other vendors who offer 360Mb disks
for only a little more money. Moreover, I will need much more than
80 Mb. Two questions:

1. Has anyone experience with running A/UX from such disks

2. Is it possible to purchase the A/UX licence, and to obtain
   the software and the manuals without buying the Apple disk?

Andre van Delft (VANDELFT@HLERUL5I.BITNET)
University of Leiden
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 16:31:12 DNT
From: Jakob Nielsen  Tech Univ of Denmark <DATJN%NEUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Can the Mac handle a medium-sized database ?

I am involved with some people who have the following problem
which they would like to solve on a Macintosh:

They have a data base of about 50,000 records of customers with
name, address, and some marketing info (such as: "call back this
person on March 17, 1989" or "has bought product X in the past").
They want to maintain this database and do queries as well as
writing mail merged letters etc. (normally only to a few hundreds
of people at a time, so they should be able to do this part on
their LaserWriter IInx).

They have several Mac II's networked in an Ethernet and a hard disk
of several hundred megabytes. So the hardware should also be able
to store all the info in the database.

My basic question is as follows:
Can databases on the Macintosh actually handle this kind of medium-
sized database in everyday work?
(I know that reviews of databases often say that they can handle several
millions of records, but the reviewers never seem to have tested
databases larger than a few hundred or a few thousand records).

Do anybody have experience in using the Mac on databases larger than,
say 10,000 records??  How about *large* databases (e.g. one million
records or even 100 million).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 02:50:50 IST
From: Rafi Brunner <RAFI%BGUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CDC WREN V 192MBHD Blues.

Hello all,
I received couple CDC WREN V 192MB hard disks, a while ago.
The Drives came with a formatter/installer from Carl Nelson
( Software Architects).
The formatting went well and the disks are operational.
However there are few problems:
1.  The disks will not boot! I can only boot from a diskette and
switch launch the finder.
2. For some reason I cannot switch launch from a another hard disk.
3. In order to mount the disks I have to restart few time
(usualy two). It never mounts after powering on the computer for
the first time.
I checked the boot blocks and it seems to be OK. I also found four
other installer programs that will format/install the disk but none
will let me work with the CDC drive as a startup device.
It was suggested to me that I have a general CDC SCSI WREN disk,
and that I actually need a special Mac CDC disk that have
the suffix  "M" in it's product Number.
But I could not verify this, as yet.
can anyone help?
Thanks
Rafi             Rafi@BGUVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 09:30:36 EST
From: ephraim@think.com
Subject: disk drive enclosures

Bruce Seely (bss@jupiter.risc.com) writes:

    We have replaced 80-megabyte Quantum drives in four MAC IIs with
    larger drives.  Now we have these drives that we would like to use
    as external drives.  Does anyone know where we might be able to
    purchase off-the-shelf enclosures that already have the power
    supply, connector, and internal cable?

We (Thinking Machines) bought ready-made enclosures from

	MicroNet Technology, Inc.
	13765-A Alton Parkway
	Irvine, CA 92718
	Telephone: 714-837-6033

They generally sell only to wholesalers and dealers; they referred us
to a semi-local dealer (Brainwarez, in Vermont).  The enclosures we
bought were for full-height drives and provide space for one
full-height and one half-height device.  These were $375/each in
quantity five.  Since you're repackaging half-height devices, I'm sure
they have cheaper model that will suit you.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 16:33:48 EST
From: steinmetz!galactica!hallett@uunet.uu.net (Jeff A. Hallett)
Subject: Help Generator

Howdy.

If you could post this in Info-Mac, I'd appreciate it also.
It seems to me that a while ago, someone put an on-line
help generator and the code to access it onto the Sumex
archives.  This thing basically allowed someone to create
a document, "compile" it into this help format, and then
provided the source code for a program to respond to a
button press and access the help file for display.
Unfortuately, with the old archives in such a sorry,
crashed state, I can't really look for it.

If someone can give me another pointer or mail me a
stuffit file, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: galactica!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|  		"Isn't fun like the best thing to have ever?		      |
|  					- Arthur			      |

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jan 89 00:51:12 GMT
From: folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta)
Subject: How to send PostScript output to a file?
Two ideas about your problems printing PostScript to a file:

1. If you use a printer spooler, it won't work.  I cannot get it to work
   with SuperLaserSpool 2.0.  So, you should pull your spooler out of your
   System Folder and reboot.

2. Even though you do not have a LaserWriter connected, you must still
   have the driver in your System Folder, and you must choose it in the
   Chooser Desk Accessory.  (I usually select the printer, but turn off
   AppleTalk, to avoid problems if the print-to-disk doesn't work and it
   really tries to talk to the non-existent printer.)

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 20:15:53 MEZ
From: MAMI%DHVRRZN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: LQ-Printer ribbon -- use of all colours?

Date: 12 January 1989, 19:58:05 MEZ
From: Michael Hartje            +49-511-762-3745     MAMI     at DHVRRZN1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

hello LQ-Users,

if you are using black ribbon, you migth have wished to use not
only one quarter of the ribbon. Up to now, I don't know how to
use the other 3 quarters. Well, one more can be used, if
you change bottom and top of it, but I think there must be also a
software hint to tell the printer to use the other "colours" as a
standard "colour" so that the other parts can be used for normal
printing without telling the application to print standard "red"
colour or similar. -- Most applications don't know colours!
Is there anybody who knows how to get better use of the ribbon?
--By the way the reason for this question is the price: 1 black
ribbon costs about 32$ here in W-Germany at our local dealer and
lifetime is very short compared with Epson-printers -- 4$ a nylon
ribbon which is fully usable for a longer time!

Thank you very much... (if possible please mail direct to me)

Michael Hartje, Schering-Institute, Insitute for high voltage
engeneering and high voltage plants, University of Hannover, W.-Germany.
MAMI @ DHVRRZN1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 89 23:10:01 GMT
From: rjc@ncsc1.att.com (Robert Cook consultant ncsc5)
Subject: Mac SIMMS (Memory 1M) for Sale

I have a quantity of 20 1M low profile 100ns SIMMS for sale.  They are brand new
the same you will get at your local computer store, but not for $800+.  I am
selling them for $640 a pair.  I may be contacted as follows:

   Robert Cook

1) Through the net or smail
2) 303/850-8050
3) 749 So. Robb Way
   Lakewood, CO 80226

Additional supplies can be obtained if demand requires.  Supplies will be first
in first out, Money Order or Cashiers Check.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 09:43 AST
From: "Jose Mendez, Network Manager" <J_MENDEZ%ACUPR.UPR.CUN.EDU@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAC startup problem - ........S.O.S.!!

This is the case:
I've got a MAC/SE and a 20 Meg Hard Disk.  For the last few months when I
turn on my Mac it takes about 5 minutes for the the machine to completely
boot up from the HD.  It simply shows the Disk icon with a flashing question
mark while you can hear the HD whirling.  I've notice that the time interval
has been somewhat increasing gradually.  I've tried a few things but nothing
seems to help.  Any suggestions besides reformatting my HD?

Please help.  At times, it gets... aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhh!!...
exasperating.

Thanks.

Jose Mendez
University of Puerto Rico
J_MENDEZ@UPRENET.BITNET
J_MENDEZ@ACUPR.CUN.EDU

"A computer system runs best when it runs downhill."  Murphy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 16:15:36 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: ZTerm 0.7 terminal emulator, part 1 of 3

This three-part posting contains version 0.7 of ZTerm, a new terminal
emulator for the Mac.  Documentation is included, in both text and
Microsoft Word formats.

ZTerm is the first Mac telecom program (of which I am aware) that
supports the ZMODEM upload/download file-transfer protocol.  ZMODEM is
related, in some respects, to the classic XMODEM and YMODEM protocols,
but it was designed "from the ground up" to work well in situations that
XMODEM cannot handle effectively... downloads over high-speed lines,
downloads over satellite and other long-delay links, downloads over
TELENET-style packet-switching networks, and so forth.

Unlike XMODEM, YMODEM, and Kermit, ZMODEM is a "streaming" protocol...
the sender transmits continually unless interrupted by a message from
the receiver.  This streaming behavior permits the transfer to run at
nearly the full theoretical speed of the data path...  efficiencies of
over 90% are common, compared with efficiencies as low as 50% for
XMODEM in difficult situations (e.g. over PC-Pursuit or a satellite
connection).

ZTerm 0.7 supports ZMODEM, YMODEM, and XMODEM for both uploading and
downloading;  XMODEM and YMODEM can use either short (128-byte) or long
(1k-byte) packets.  It also supports MacBinary II file-conversion in
all of these modes.

I've tested the ZMODEM file-transfer capabilities with an Opus
bulletin-board system in my area, and with Chuck Forsberg's "sz" and
"rz" programs on Sun Unix.  It works beautifully... the download
efficiency is superior to either XMODEM or to Kermit with 900-byte
packets.  If you initiate a ZMODEM download, ZTerm will "notice" the
ZMODEM handshake arrive and will automatically enter download-mode;
you need not (and cannot!) select "Receive ZMODEM" from a menu.
Similarly, if you order ZTerm to send one or more files via ZMODEM, it
will send a user-selectable command to the remote system ("rz" for
Unix, "uz" for Opus, or anything else you choose) to activate the
remote system's ZMODEM receiver.

Version 0.7 is described as a "Pre-release"; I've found it to be quite
solid in the few days I've been using it.  The user-interface appears to
be quite clean and easy to understand.  You can add "setups" to the
dialing menu;  each setup corresponds with a specific system that you
access, and permits you to set parameters such as modem baud rate,
parity, preferred upload and download protocols, phone number, character
set (Mac, or PC extended) and so forth.

There are still some rough edges in ZTerm 0.7.  I've encountered at
least one bug in the VT-100 emulation which makes it difficult for me
to use ZTerm with GNU Emacs.  There are as yet no macro capabilities,
little or no ability to customize the keyboard, and no scripting
language of any sort, and the selection of the directory-in-which-to-
download done in a primitive fashion.  I expect all of these rough
edges to be cleaned up in the relatively near future.

ZTerm 0.7 is shareware ($30);  it was written and is supported by
David P. Alverson.  I think it's well worth the requested fee, and
look forward to seeing future versions.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Archived as /info-mac/appl/zterm-part1.hqx through part3]

End of Info-Mac Digest