Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 10:06:37 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Autoblack and SUM Guardian incompatibility

Gordon,
   I'm running System 6.02 on a Mac+ and I do see the little shield icon when I
issue a shutdown, and if my memory serves me correctly, the shield icon appeared
when I was running System 5.0.  Everything appears to be very compatible on my
system.

John Salmento

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 88 09:35:27 -0800
From: rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
Subject: BBS list posted to Comp.sys.mac
Here is a list of BBS's that were posted to Comp.sys.mac.

rob

******  Here You Go  ******

+The List of Red Ryder Host BBSs
 Maintained by Ed Edell - EEE's BBS - 201-340-3531 (7:520/563) (1:107/563)
 This text listing created with the Hypercard stack of The List
 on : Sunday, December 18, 1988  at  16:34:56
-PHONE NUMBER----NAME OF BBS - MAXIMUM BAUD RATE - LAST VERIFIED -
 201-263-8167    The Power-Surge BBS - 2400 - 4/88
... and so forth

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/bbs-list.txt]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 12:17:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Jim Morris <jhm+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Electronic Proposal Submission

The National Science Foundation is accepting proposals in electronic form
as part of an experimental program called EXPRES. This is being done to
speed and simplify the proposal review process. Specifically, you are
encouraged to send proposals as PostScript files. PostScript (a trademark of
Adobe Systems, Inc.) is a standard language for driving laser printers. There
are several advantages to preparing your proposal in PostScript:

        1. It will be less expensive in duplication and mailing costs because
        you need send only one paper copy to the NSF.

        2. Electronic transmission from you to the NSF and from the NSF to
        reviewers takes only minutes.

        3. Proposals look better because they are printed freshly on laser
        printers rather than being duplicated on copiers multiple times.

        4. The NSF can extract data from the electronically-prepared forms,
        making it easier to track your proposal.

In order to create a PostScript proposal you must perform all the paper
fiddling operations -- cutting, pasting, collating -- electronically. Assuming
that you are already capable of doing that for the technical part of your
proposal using your favorite document processor, we have created some software
to help you with the rest of the job: creating the forms and combining the
pieces. It can be run on UNIX, VMS, Macintosh, and PC systems. Proposal
templates for some common document processors are available, too.

There are different ways to obtain the software depending upon your computing
circumstances. In any case, you will receive a file guide.ps which you
should print on a PostScript printer, and read for further instructions.

1. Macintosh and PC users can request a disk by sending email to
ps-expres@andrew.cmu.edu or regular mail to.

    PS-EXPRES
    Information Technology Center
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Be sure to specify Mac or PC and the disk size.

2. People with NSFNet/DARPANet connections can get the code in source
and executable form via ftp. First, connect with a particular machine at CMU
by typing the following commands.

   ftp 128.2.12.15
   ftp>Name: anonymous
   ftp>Password: anythingyoulike
   ftp>prompt
   ftp>ascii
   ftp>cd common
   ftp>mget *
   ftp>cd ..

(You will get a lot of back-talk from ftp besides the "ftp>" prompts shown.)

This will retrieve some files everyone needs.

If you simply want to run the software, copy everything from the appropriate
machine-specific binary directory below. For example, to retrieve the pc
executable
programs type

    ftp>binary
    ftp>cd pc
    ftp>mget *
    ftp>cd ..
    ftp>ascii

The machine-specific directories are:
  mac  (apply BinHex 4.0 to Hqx files after retrieving)
  pc
  rt
  sun3
  vax-unix

We haven't figured out how to distribute VMS binaries yet, so VMS users
will have to rebuild the software themselves.

The following directories contain document processor templates for proposals:
  scribe
  tex
  latex
  troff

For example, to retrieve the tex template, type

  ftp>cd tex
  ftp> mget *
  ftp> cd ..

The  src directory is of interest if you want to modify or rebuild the
software. It contains

  SREADME: instructions for building executables
  C-Programs and Header files: *.c and *.h
  UNIX-specific files: Makefile
  VMS-specific files: compile.com, descrip.mms
  Macintosh-specific files:
      *.r, NSFForms.make, nsfmenus.c, window.c, nsfwndw.h
  PC-specific files: *.MAK

To exit ftp type

   ftp>quit

3. If you are a UNIX user and cannot use the ftp connection, request the
software by email. If you send a request to ps-expres@andrew.cmu.edu
we will send you the non-binary software in the form of shar files.

4. If you don't need any of the software and are prepared to send a proposal
electronically, instructions on how to transmit proposals my be obtained from

     Gerald B. Stuck
     National Science Foundation
     1800 G Street NW
     Room 401
     Washington, DC 20550
     (202)357-9767
     gstuck@photo.expres.nsf.gov

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 17:43:38 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Finder LAYO Resources

Back when system release 6 came out, there was a fair amount of discussion
as to the purpose of several of the radio button selections in the Finder
LAYO resource. At the very end, are four: Use Phys Icon, Copy Inherit, New
Fold Inherit and Title Click. I know that Title Click allows you to pop one
level up in the hierarchy, by clicking on the title bar of an open folder to
move up to its parent, but what do the others do? I seem to recall some
mutterings that they only worked on SEs or MacIIs, but now that I have an SE
(finally!!), they still do what they did on my Mac+. Nothing. Suggestions?

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some
                            MS-DOS. JUST SAY NO!"
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil    UUCP:...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 12:23:20 PST
From: jpl06!john@jato.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Looking for large-capacity graphics program
I am looking for a Mac application that will allow me to display and
scroll through a very large time series (> 100,000 y-values, equally
spaced in the time index, t).  I would like to be able to display all-or-part
of the time series, zooming in-out (perhaps defining the region to be
displayed via a click-and-drag box around the "interesting" part?).
It would also be nice to be able to force plotting scales, mark points
as "interesting" or "to-be-deleted", and have a "bad-data" flag associated
with each point (or a time interval) so that points thus flagged are not
plotted.  Has anyone heard of or used such a program?

Thanks in advance.

John Armstrong
jpl06!john@jato.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 16:30:33 CST
From: "Jeff Balvanz" <GR.JLB%ISUMVS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Looking for Mac SNOBOL

To all:  we are looking for a Macintosh implementation of either
SPITBOL or SNOBOL for the Macintosh.  A check of our software
catalogs indicated no interpreters for either commerically
available.  Does anyone know of anyone offering either language for
the Mac, either commercial or public domain?  Thanks to all for the
assistance.

Jeff Balvanz                              BITNET: GR.JLB@ISUMVS (preferred)
Senior Technical Consultant               INTERNET:  GMMPC@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
Microcomputer Services                    PHONE:  (515) 294-8683
Iowa State University Computation Center  USMail:  104 ATANASOFF* HALL, ISU,
                                                   AMES, IA 50011
                             *
                              Inventor of the digital electronic computer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 10:11:36 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: MAC startup problem - ........S.O.S.!!

Jose,
   It sounds to me like your disk is getting very fragmented.  DiskExpress is an
excellent utility to unfragment a disk and rearrange the files so it doesn't
occur as often.  I believe CopyII Mac and SUM utilities also provide file
defragmentation programs.  In my opion I think DiskExpress is the best.

John Salmento
ziggy@andrew.cmu.edu

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 17:22:16 -0600 (CST)
From: David Wilson <David.Wilson@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet

The NCSA Telnet is telling you that there is another computer
on your Network using the same IP number that you assigned to
your computer in the configuration file.  SU-MacIP, I believe,
has a facility for dynamically assigning unused IP numbers,
and thus does not have this difficulty.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1989 21:13:24 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: New and revised tech notes

I have put the new set of tech notes in the tn directory here at sumex-aim.
The new or revised notes are the following:

tn034.hqx
tn068.hqx
tn086.hqx
tn108.hqx