Date: Sun, 15 Jan 89 14:12:56 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: a Question & a Vision

Oops, sorry about that misspelling (I know better, but my index finger
doesn't always).  There really is a "Stamford" (it's in Connecticut :-)
>Add to that the fact that Pinpoint and AST have dropped ALL support and
>production of Apple products, leads to my vision of the future..
>
>The Apple II series are we now know it will die a quiet death, and within
>a year or two after that, Apple will change it's corporate name to
>better identify itself with what it makes (Macintosh?????) and the
>market it serves.
>
>Lest we forget, Apple has not uttered the phrase "Apple II Forever" since
>last spring.. Nowhere did it appear at the last Applefest, nor in any
>promotion or advertising..

There's an interesting article in the 23 Jan '89 BUSINESS WEEK (pp. 90 & 92)
titled "Apple Turns From Revolution to Evolution."

The gist of the article is that Apple is embarking on a strategy of product
line extension (as opposed to innovation).  Apple president John Sculley
also is reported to have decided to concentrate on maintaining high profit
margins (practically speaking that's premium prices) rather than aggressively
pursuing market share.

The article comments specifically on the absence of any indications of a
product beyond elaboration of the Macintosh (faster, larger capacity, etc.).
The TOTAL focus is the business market.  There is NO mention of education,
hobbiest, or home markets.  The Apple II line (past, present, or future?)
isn't mentioned at all; the article leaves the STRONG impression that
the Apple II line doesn't figure in management's strategic thinking for
even the early 1990's.

Anybody out there want to tell me I read that wrong?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 00:10:10 PST
From: GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com
Subject: BroadCast 1.0 Bug

BroadCast 1.0 contains a bug that causes "answer" to malfunction in some cases
when sender and receiver are in different zones. This bug will be fixed in the
next release ASAP.

Joachim Lindenberg
GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: 16 JAN 89 11:13-
From: JJW7384%RITVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Help with Mac Upgrade

HELP! I need to upgrade my Mac 512ke to an Mac Plus (or something similar).
All th edealers in my area are saying that they need about 4 to 6 weeks
to get the parts in. If anyone knows where I might be able to get my hands
on a Mac Plus logic board, I'd appreciate the info.

I'm also considering a Dove MacSnap 548S (a SCSI port + 2 megs memory).
Has anyone had experience with this board?

Thanks for you help,

Jeff Wasilko
BITNET:     jjw7384@ritvax
INTERNET:   jjw7384%ritvax.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                               OR
            jjw7384%ritvax.bitnet@cornell.cit.cornell.edu
UUCP:       {psuvax1, mcvax}!ritvax.bitnet!JJW7384

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 20:21:55 MET
From: Norbert Lindenberg - U Karlsruhe <norbert@ira.uka.de>
Subject: LookupDeclaration Upgrade Notice

Revision 1.1 of the MPW tool package LookupDeclaration will start shipping
on February 1st, 1989. The new revision allows you to search multiple
index files for a declaration, so you may have different indices for
{PInterfaces}, {SrcMacApp} and your own project's interfaces. This makes
it feasible to update your project's index file frequently; multiple index
files are also necessary if you want to use LookupDeclaration in a small MPW
memory partition.

While LookupDeclaration 1.0 is shareware and is still available from
various sources, revision 1.1 is an upgrade for registered users only.
It will be shipped to all registered users free of charge. If you
have not yet registered, this is your chance.

For those who do not know LookupDeclaration yet:

The MPW Tool package "LookupDeclaration" contains two MPW tools and a shell
script, which combined allow you to look up MPW Pascal declarations quickly
and comfortably. It is intended as a supplement to Inside Macintosh and to
the various Inside Mac DAs, which provide better information, but in a less
timely manner. LookupDeclaration allows you to work with the most up-to-date
information you have available - the MPW interface texts. Compared to
Search'ing the interfaces, LookupDeclaration works both faster and more
selectively.

One of the tools, CreateDeclarationIndex, is used to create index files for the
declarations in the interface files you intend to use. After that, you work
with LookupDeclaration in the most simple way: you just position the insertion
mark in an identifier, or to the right or the left of it, and select
"Lookup Declaration" from the "Find" menu or press Command-L.
LookupDeclaration will figure out the identifier, and open the appropriate
interface text at the position where the identifier is declared. If there
are multiple declarations for the identifier - as may occur for record
components or object methods -, LookupDeclaration will open a dialog box
which lets you select the declaration you really want. Any files will be
opened read-only, so there is no risk of accidently modifying them. Of
course, you still may select and copy text from the interface file.

Norbert Lindenberg
norbert@ira.uka.de

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 09:01:33 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Netter's Dinner

Well, due to excessive amounts of skiing fun, I have gotten this message out
pretty late.  The Netter's Dinner is going to go off on Saturday the 21st.
Everyone should meet in the upper lobby of Moscone Hall at 6:30.  We will walk
to the restaurant from there.  What more can I say?

I will be working/hanging out at the A32 User Group booth which is 5338 in
Brook's Hall.  Come by and say hi!

Jon

N         L                   pugh@nmfecc.arpa
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 89 16:52 CST
From: Mark Roseman <ROSEMAN@UOFMCC.BITNET>
Subject: printer drivers

We've got a Macintosh and a Roland 1012(?) printer which we'd like to
interface.  We've got a serial to parallel interface left over from a
junked TRS80 computer which we should be able to modify to get information
over to the printer.

The question then is drivers.  We've got the Daisy driver (which was in
MacTutor a while back) which should suffice for standard text, but it
would be nice to take advantage of the other capabilities of the printer.
I think its Epson command set compatible (or comparable anyway), so perhaps
an Epson driver would do.  Does anyone know of a site where one is
available?  Preferably from one of the mail-based file servers, as we
can't FTP from our site.  Please respond directly, as we aren't members
of the list--I'll summarize any replies to the list.

thanks in advance..

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 14:00:28 MST
From: Capt Geoff Mulligan <geoff@usafa.arpa>
Subject: profile and macintosh

Is it possible to use an old apple PROFILE with a MAC or is it only usable
with a LISA?

	Thanks,
		geoff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 06:41:28 PST
From: TOLLIVER%ORN.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Weird problem with Adobe Courier screen font family

Hello gurus,

I've had a really weird problem with the Adobe Courier screen font
family downloaded from the recent posting to the archives. I also
donwloaded some of the others and most seem to work fine. But the
Courier Family seems to have a problem. At 12 point or 24 point, the
Courier screen font, a monspaced font, works fine. The problem is at 14
point size, where it still looks fine on the screen, but when printed to
a LaserWriter Plus, the spacing is not correct. In a code listing, for
example, where I have 4 spaces at the beginning of a line, the
characters in the 5th column do not line up properly. The spacing errors
are not integral multiples of one space. If you site along the fifth
column of the printed page, it looks wavey. This happens with both Word
3.01 and WordPerfect, with or without "fractional fonts" enabled, on a
Mac II or a Mac Plus, with the font in the System file or in a font
suitcase using Suitcase II, with Suitcase II enabled or not even in the
System Folder, and before or after having passed the font through
Suitcase II's Font Harmony utility to correct defects in the file.

Somehow there is some weird interaction between the screen font and the
postscript file that gets created. I repeat, it looks perfect on the
screen, just prints badly. It works correctly both on screen and printed
with 12 or 24 point font sizes (the only other ones I've tried). I've
only seen the problem at the 14 point size. If I shaft the Adobe Courier
Family and replace it with the original Apple Courier screen font, then
the problems go away. If I capture the postscript file created (using
Command-F) it is DIFFERENT when using the Adobe Family screen font than
when using Apple's Courier. How can that be? I thought the screen font
was used only for the screen display, and that the resident postscript
font in the LaserWriter was used for the LaserWriter's output. The
Courier resident font is indeed in the LaserWriter as reported by the
LaserStatus DA. How can the screen font effect the postscript file
created? I cannot read postscript so I cannot interpret what the real
difference is in the two postscript files. They're relatively
short--1634 bytes for the Apple Courier version and 1885 bytes for the
Adobe Courier version (the file I'm having these problems with is only
18 lines long). I could post the original file and the postscript files
if anyone is interested in helping me track this down. Although I cannot
read them, I can sure tell that they are different (just the difference
in size is amazing enough). And the LaserWriter can sure tell the
difference too.

Does any of this make sense? The workaround is obviously to just shaft
the Adobe Courier Family and use Apple's Courier screen font instead.
After all, who really cares about an italisized monospaced font looking
great on the screen anyway? But I wonder about the other Adobe Families
I have downloaded. Is there some bug waiting for an opportune time to
bite? But what I *REALLY* want to know is how can the screen font effect
the postscript file. Is it a fault of the font or of the LaserWriter
driver or what? By the way this is System 6.0.2 with the appropriate
LaserWriter driver and LaserPrep, etc. Thanks for any light that can be
cast on this problem.

John Tolliver (Tolliver%orn.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 13:48 AST
From: DALNEWS <DALNEWS%AC.DAL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: WRITENOW BUGABOO-BOO

The editor of our in-house paper has the following problem when she
uses WriteNow on her MacSE hooked up to a Hyperdrive FX-20 20mb harddrive:
 When she uses Writenow invisible rectangle overtype on some of
her letters. It happens sporadically and you can only see the little
rectangles when we place the story/article into Page-maker 3.0. Once in
pagemaker we can delete the overtyped rectangle. The local dealer
suggested replacing her WriteNow with a copy from someone else's disk.
We did that, and the same thing kept occurring. We used another person's
writenow application, and again the same thing. the hyperdrive was
re-installed. Nothing changed. We switched keyboards with someone
else in the office. No change. Has anyone else had this problem. No
one else inthe office (9 Macs with hyperdrives) can even duplicate
what she's done. It's left a lot of people scratching their heads.

End of Info-Mac Digest