[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V5 #1

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com (Jeffrey Shulman) (01/18/89)

Date: Wed 18 Jan 89 08:31:55-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V5 #1
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, January 18, 1989     Volume 5 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:
     Laser Smoothing
     INTERFAX
     re: Dir-Acta-Ry APPL
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #179
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #2
     TextEdit TABbing? (2 messages)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #2
     Crossword puzzle generation
     MS Windows vs Macintosh development envi
     re: Re: Screenfonts: Adobe or Apple?
     re: Hard Disk Icons
     re: Re: Arabic Fonts and Editors
     re: SFPGetFile Question
     re: 6.0.2: unlimited downloadable fonts:
     Addresource (2 messages)

From: NETMAN
Subject: Laser Smoothing
Date: 19-DEC 22:01 Hardware & Peripherals

Some time ago a patch to Apple's LaserWriter driver was posted which
allowed smoothed bit-map printing from NON Apple Laser printers.  I seem
to have lost the text of the message but remember that for some
rediculous reason Apple's driver would only print smoothed output on
their own printers. I have a NEC SilentWriter 890 and would like to be
able to get good quality, smoothed output of bit mapped objects.  Can
anyone re-post the patch or offer some other solutions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: COVEY
Subject: INTERFAX
Date: 19-DEC 23:20 Telecommunicating

JUST GOT AN INTERFAX.  IT DOESN'T LIKE PRINT MONITOR AND CRASHES MY SE20
WHEN I TRY TO PRINT IN BACKGROUND (PRINT A FAX, THAT IS).  OTHER THAN
THAT, IT SEEMS TO WORK OKAY.  WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HAVE OCR SOFTWARE SO I
CAN PUT A FAX DOCUMENT INTO MS-WORD.  ANY IDEAS?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Dir-Acta-Ry APPL (Re: Msg 28031)
Date: 20-DEC 04:06 Network Digests

>From: mcvax!kom.komunity.se!Ian_Feldman_randomCyklist@uunet.uu.net
>Subject: Dir-Acta-Ry APPL

James Owen finished Dir-Acta-ry for me; current version is 1.01 from
back in March.  It's probably in your net archives.

David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness." Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #179 (Re: Msg 28056)
Date: 25-DEC 16:48 Network Digests

>From: rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull)
>Subject: Word -> Pagemaker
>Date: 16 Dec 88 20:47:39 GMT

>Is there any way to transfer equations created in MS Word to Pagemaker?

Word does have a feature to do this. Just select the ENTIRE formula and
use the combination COMMAND-OPTION-D. The formula will now be in the
clipboard as a graphic, and can be pasted into the Scrapbook, and
eventually into pagemaker.

 All you have do do is read the manual.

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121 (Re: Msg 28065)
Date: 29-DEC 00:07 Network Digests

>Date: Monday, 26 December 1988  9:05pm
>From: zoda537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu ("Josh Hayes")
>Subject: clocks and unreadable clocks
>
>Please to post this in some digest soon.
>
>My clock has gone cuckoo (sorry about that)--I have a program

It sounds like you have a bad clock chip.  Take it to a dealer, along
with some $$$.

Brian

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #2 (Re: Msg 28075)
Date: 31-DEC 15:27 Network Digests

>From: buffington@radar.UUCP (Jon Buffington)
>Subject: System File Corruption when Zapping Pram!
>Date: 30 Dec 88 00:16:33 GMT
>

>================== The GroanGram '88 ===================
>
>Want to Zap your Mac II parameter ram and corrupt your system file at

The "bug" you refer to is well known, but probably undocumented so far.
Apparently the video setting in PRAM is different from that stored on
the disk (somewhere), causing video to be reset during boot.  The cure?
Start up from a floppy, and reset the video from the Monitors CDEV.
There's no need to reinstall the System...

Brian

------------------------------

From: MWEASNER
Subject: TextEdit TABbing?
Date: 2-JAN-23:23: Programming Techniques

I hope someone can help me with one or more of a:

  HINT
  CLUE
  PATCH
  EXAMPLE CODE (Pascal or C)

for the following problem.

I am developing an application that must display the contents of a TEXT
file in a standard Macintosh window.  Currently, I read the contents of
the file into a TERecord and display it in the window.  The window is
fully functionally for resizing and scrolling.  Now the problem.

Most of the lines consist of TAB delimited text with a Carriage Return
(CR) at the end of the line.  However, not all of the lines have TABs
and some may extend for several lines without a CR and thus wrap in the
window.  But those lines that have TABs must have variable width spacing
for the TABs.  Some fields may be 50 characters wide, and others only 10
characters wide.  So what I need is some simple (he hopes!) way to
implement variable-width TABs while still using TextEdit.  Whatever
technique I do use must also work when printing the window.  The effect
I need is that the TAB delimited fields will line up correctly (and
precisely) in the window like:

 field1                     field2    field3    field4 field5
 field1                     field2    field3    field4 field5
 field1                     field2    field3    field4 field5
 field1                     field2    field3    field4 field5

This is some text that extends across several lines and does not have
any TABs.  It would wrap at the window right margin.

I have considered some alternatives to using variable-width TABs and
have determined that none of these alternatives are viable.  Due to
screen space limitations, I must use Geneva-9pt for the displayed text
so using a mono- spaced font and parsing is out.  Using the List Manager
is out since I must have variable-width cells and I also have some text
that won't fit within the cell and must extend across the whole width of
the window and wrap, if necessary.  I thought about using THINK's CAPPS'
PE routines which do support TABs (TextEdit doesn't) but PE doesn't have
word wrap (but TextEdit does!). And finally, drawing the text
line-by-line and doing a MoveTo call whenever a TAB is found would be
grossly slow.

So, I keep coming back to using TextEdit but with some way for it to
draw the text at the proper positions when it "sees" a TAB.  I've looked
at the Nov 86 issue of MacTutor in Bradley Nedrud's excellent article on
"Extending Text Edit for TABs" and even tried to incorporate his
technique.  But several limitations were immediately found, one of which
it doesn't seem to work right with the newer Systems (the first
character at the TAB is bold).  And I must still maintain TextEdit
compatibility when running under MultiFinder.

So, the question is "can anyone help?".  Any ideas?  I don't really want
to have to write my own text editing routines.

Mike

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: TextEdit TABbing? (Re: Msg 2649)
Date: 5-JAN-00:32: Programming Techniques

System 6.0 has some TextEdit hooks which were intended to support tabs.
Unfortunately, they can't handle it -- there's one case where your width
routine is called.  You need to know the beginning of a line, in order
to know the width of a tab.  But the lineStarts array is not valid at
that point.

Of course, you could hack your own, doomed-to-future-incompatibility,
tabs onto TextEdit.  (As you've noted, previous hacks are already
incompatible.)

I think you overestimate TextEdit's speed.  It has to draw text line by
line, after all.  Your routines to do the same wouldn't be much slower,
I suspect. Word wrap might be a minor problem, but not a big one, if all
you want to do is display this text.

You might want to check out DataPak's Paragraph Engine (they advertised
in the latest MacTutor).

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121 (Re: Msg 28066)
Date: 8-JAN-10:48: Network Digests

Brian,

I wonder if leaving the Macintosh _plugged_in_ (after turning it off) is
a good idea.  My first Macintosh (128->512->512e) has almost always been
left that way, even for extended periods, and its original battery still
works fine after over four years.  It also has never had an analog board
failure.  (The dealer might have replaced the battery with the new ROMs,
but somehow I doubt that)

I now have another 512e Mac with a Dove 1.5M board, with an analog board
that can only be described as shaky.  I can't get it to put out 5 volts,
the screen size changes drastically when a window gets blacked out (that
is, selected) and what must be a symptom of incipient cold solder joints
appear every so often (snow on the screen).  I apply a home remedy, good
strong thwacks to the left side of the Macintosh, whenever those appear,
and leave the computer powered on as much as possible now, a-waiting for
the blessed day.

Anyway, I was really wondering if leaving the computer with wall current
had any benefit.  It occurs to me now that leaving it plugged in without
a battery might be a good test.  Anyone with an old 512K Macintosh could
just take their battery out, set the clock, turn the machine off, wait a
few hours (be sure to keep the surge suppressor on), turn the machine on
and check the clock.  I'll read any reports right here.  I will not test
this on my own computers, however, even though it seems reasonably safe.

Happy New Year!

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 8-JAN-10:50: Network Digests

>From: jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss)
>Subject: Finding out What Application is Running
>Date: 27 Dec 88 22:12:50 GMT

I'd browse the application's resource file.  The currently preferred
procedural interface provides GetAppParms(); the low-memory global
CurApRefNum has the value.  [gee, looks like folks said this already]

As an aside, the trend away from low-memory variables seems
inexplicable. After all, with competent memory-management hardware the
application's low-memory area can really reside anywhere, or not at all:
 any reference to one of the addresses can be trapped and returned as if
it were really maintained.  There is a certain overhead swapping the
low-memory area if running MultiFinder without memory management, but
that must be done anyway.

Laird J. Heal                  The 1980's:  The Decade of Hype.

 Delphi:  MACLAIRD
 BitNet:  HEAL@MITVMC (for a while...)

------------------------------

From: FIDELITYIC
Subject: Crossword puzzle generation
Date: 10-JAN 08:44 Games and Entertainment

Does anyone know of a program which can generate crossword puzzles and
print them out given a list of words?  Evidently there is one which runs
on the Apple II but I would like to find one that runs on the Macintosh.
If there are none, does anyone know of a good algorithm to generate
them? (Perhaps I'll create such a program).

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: FIDELITYIC
Subject: MS Windows vs Macintosh development envi
Date: 10-JAN 16:31 Programming

Has anyone out there programmed both under MS Windows (horrors!) and on
the Macintosh?  I was wondering how the programming environments
compared.  Are there any good articles around which cover this subject?
Your comments are most appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: Screenfonts: Adobe or Apple? (Re: Msg 28154)
Date: 17-JAN 21:09 Network Digests

Subject: Re: Screenfonts: Adobe or Apple?
>Adobe has 10 point and up fonts. There is no 9 point because in layout
>work it isn't used much and 9 point can't produce a 'nice' enough screen
>font.
No 9?  Hmm...I for one am sure glad to have 9, 10, and _11_ of Adobe's
Garamond.  Furthermore, I _do_ use 9-point frequently when doing layout.
 I don't need 100% perfect type, but I do want something better than the
Mac's scaling.  Adobe is doing their customers a disservice by trying to
save us from ourselves.

I didn't know you worked for Adobe now...

David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means Maitreya
Design   there is an exit."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Hard Disk Icons (Re: Msg 28156)
Date: 17-JAN 21:09 Network Digests

>From: dave@puivax.UUCP (Dave Duffy)
>Subject: Hard Disk Icons
I just sent this to MacTutor; it may not be 100% reliable, but it works
on my Apple 40Mb internal...
        pb.volumeParam.ioNamePtr = NIL;
        pb.volumeParam.ioVolIndex = 1;          /* First mounted volume
*/
        error = PBHGetVInfo(&pb,FALSE);
        cpb.ioRefNum = pb.volumeParam.ioVDRefNum;
        cpb.ioVRefNum = pb.volumeParam.ioVDrvInfo; /* drive (ioDrvNum)
*/
        cpb.csCode = 21;
        error = PBControl(&cpb,FALSE);

David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly." Maitreya
Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: Arabic Fonts and Editors (Re: Msg 28157)
Date: 17-JAN 21:10 Network Digests

>From: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
>Subject: Re: Arabic Fonts and Editors

Acta Advantage/Acta 3.0 uses TextEdit just like it always has; it now
uses Styled TextEdit.

I know miniWRITER works in Japanese, because I've gotten shareware
payments from people in Japan who say it works.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: SFPGetFile Question (Re: Msg 28157)
Date: 17-JAN 21:11 Network Digests

>From: chao@polya.Stanford.EDU (Chih-Chao Lam)
>Subject: SFPGetFile Question
>How can I get the vRefNum of the current file before the user chooses
You can't; it's not open and thus doesn't have a vRefNum.

 David Dunham     "We've got the best government money can buy."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: 6.0.2: unlimited downloadable fonts: (Re: Msg 28157)
Date: 17-JAN 21:11 Network Digests

>From: chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
>Subject: 6.0.2: unlimited downloadable fonts: how?
I've had the same problem, especially when I chose the extra large page
size.

------------------------------

From: ESROG
Subject: Addresource
Date: 15-JAN 21:10 Programming Techniques

I have been writing a program using TurboPascal in which I want to save
my options as a resource. I have used some pretty standard code in which
I get a handle with newhandle, use blockmove to move my data into the
handle, then call addresource and updateresfile.  It seems to work fine
when I run it from within Turbo using the "Run" option in the Compile
Menu; but when I compile to disk and run the application, the
addresource and updateresfile calls fail returning a Reserror of -61 (
read/write permission?). I know I can do the job using an external
resource file, but my goal is to avoid such things. I will upload the
code if needed, I hate to clutter Delphi's files.  Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Addresource (Re: Msg 2658)
Date: 16-JAN 22:59 Programming Techniques

Why do you want to avoid an external prefs file?  If your program
modifies its own resource fork, it is NOT shareable over AppleTalk.  Not
to mention the user issue of each user having his own preferences, but
only needing a single copy of the application.

As to why your program currently fails, my guess is that the resource
file search path is set by the compiler, but not by you; you'll need to
throw a UseResFile() in.  You can get your refNum with GetAppParms.

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------