Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/21/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 20 Jan 89       Volume 7 : Issue  12

Today's Topics:
                     3D graphing program (fixed)
                  Bodoni screen fonts (part 1 of 2)
                       Delphi Mac Digest V5 #1
                        Finder LAYO Resources
              Franklin Gothic screen fonts (part 1 of 2)
                        Looking for Mac SNOBOL
                 Mac -> Overhead projector interfaces
                             MacInHebrew
                           Merge .HQX Stack
                            New Hard Drive
        reply to question on Mac VT100 keyboard for Mac Kermit
                                rumors
                              Stars 1.8
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #10
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #11
                       Usenet Mac Digest V5 #9

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 18:31:00 PST
From: chris%hobbes@lbl.gov (Christopher Moll)
Subject: 3D graphing program (fixed)

	The version of this program posted a few days ago had a
problem in the toaster Mac version, now corrected (it would beep
and exit).  This is to replace that entire posting.  It consists
of four parts, mailed seperately.

	The following is a program to generate three dimensional
graphs of mathematical functions.  The graphs can be displayed
>From any angle and shaded.  It was originally written several
years ago to demonstrate the number-crunching abilities of the
Mac, but I've updated it since.  There are two versions, one of
which uses the 6888x.  This is freeware; do anything with it but
sell it.

	Send comments etc. to
		Christopher Moll
		chris@hobbes.lbl.gov
		(415)843-2437

[Archived as /info-mac/app/3d-graph-part1.hqx; 52K
             /info-mac/app/3d-graph-part2.hqx; 52K
             /info-mac/app/3d-graph-part3.hqx; 52K
             /info-mac/app/3d-graph-part4.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 00:42:20 EST
From: Greg Brail <ST601396%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bodoni screen fonts (part 1 of 2)

Here are the screen fonts for Bodoni, a font that's not built in to any
printer -- this is a downloaded font. This file is a BinHex of a StuffIt
1.5.1 file of a Font/DA Mover file. Bodoni is a nice font for both body
text and headlines. These screen fonts include styles for plain, bold,
italic and bold italic, as well as a super-bold "Poster" style.

Greg Brail
ST601396@brownvm.brown.edu
P.O. Box 1020
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912

[Archived as /info-mac/font/bodoni-part1.hqx; 71K
             /info-mac/font/bodoni-part2.hqx; 67K
 May not be redistributed without permission from Adobe.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 08:32 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V5 #1

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, January 18, 1989     Volume 5 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:
     Laser Smoothing
     INTERFAX
     re: Dir-Acta-Ry APPL
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V4 #179
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #2
     TextEdit TABbing? (2 messages)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V6 #121
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #2
     Crossword puzzle generation
     MS Windows vs Macintosh development envi
     re: Re: Screenfonts: Adobe or Apple?
     re: Hard Disk Icons
     re: Re: Arabic Fonts and Editors
     re: SFPGetFile Question
     re: 6.0.2: unlimited downloadable fonts:
     Addresource (2 messages)

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/delphiv5-001.txt; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 09:18:49 EST
From: jonathan%bert.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Finder LAYO Resources

Use physical Icon replaces the normal icon of a floppy disk that is used by
the finder with a small picture of a macintosh (either a Mac II or an SE) with
an arrow pointing the the drive that the floppy is located in.  This is
especially useful on a two floppy drive machine so you can tell which disk is
in which drive.
Copy Inherit and New Folder Inherit are properties related to Appleshare File
Servers.  They have to do with the priviliges that folders get when they are
created or copied.  (if these options are NOT selected, new or copied folders
will receive the default priviliges for the user creating the folder, if they
ARE selected, a copied folder will have the same priviliges as the original, and
a new folder will have the same priviliges as the folder that it is contained inin).
Jonathan A. Leblang
The MITRE Corporation
McLean Virginia
703 883 5761
jonathan@bert.mitre.org or jonathan@mitre.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 01:14:34 EST
From: Greg Brail <ST601396%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Franklin Gothic screen fonts (part 1 of 2)

Here's part 1 of the screen fonts for Franklin Gothic, a downloadable
Adobe font. This file is a BinHex of a StuffIt 1.5.1 file of a Font/DA
Mover file. Plain, bold, italic and bold italic versions are included
in this file. There is also a "heavy" font, which is bolder than bold.
Franklin Gothic is a very nice sans-serif font for headlines. It's
similar to but a lot more interesting than Helvetica.

Greg Brail
ST601396@brownvm.brown.edu
P.O. Box 1020
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912

[Archived as /info-mac/font/franklin-gothic-part1.hqx; 79K
             /info-mac/font/franklin-gothic-part2.hqx; 83K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 16:24:51 GMT
From: PMIDS%FRPOLY11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Looking for Mac SNOBOL

> To all:  we are looking for a Macintosh implementation of either
> SPITBOL or SNOBOL for the Macintosh.  A check of our software
> catalogs indicated no interpreters for either commerically
> available.  Does anyone know ...

   I haven't actually seen either of them on the Mac, but on checking
through some things I brought back with me from a trip to the U.S.
at the end of this year, I found this:

"Kim Leeper, in London, has announced completion of a SIL-based
SNOBOL4 interpreter for the Macintosh.  This version of MacSNOBOL(tm)
uses a C-based library for its I/O.  For more information about
MacSNOBOL, write or call:
   Kim Leeper
   Technical Director
   Giedrys Enterprises
   10 Rudloe Road
   Balham, London SW12 0DS
   United Kingdom
   (01) 673-3584"

and

"A Macintosh version of Macro SPITBOL is in progress.  The expected
release date is Fall, l987" (from Catspaw, see below)

That came from the SNOBOL4 Information Bulletin, summer l987, so
the information is a little old.  I've been looking for a SNOBOL
myself, so I want to know how the two efforts worked out.

General information for those who don't know:  SNOBOL4 is a text
processing language, written a long time ago by some people at
Bell Labs.  The language itself has extremely powerful pattern
matching capabilties.  It was first written in a macro language (SIL)
which has been ported to dozens of machines.  SPITBOL is a somewhat
extended implementation--it is also transportable, runs much faster
than implementations of SIL SNOBOL4, but is not in the public domain
as is the SIL implementation.  SNOBOL4 (and as far as I know, SPITBOL)
are interpreted, but in a batch mode so you dont get the advantages
you would expect from an interpreter.  The language also has archaic
control structures.  But even with its disadvantages, nothing is as
simple to use when you need to massage text.  It has a small but
devoted following, from people in humanities to NSA code breakers (who
run it on Crays, if rumors can be believed).

Information on SNOBOL4:  SNOBOL4 Information Bulletin, free but
published rather irregularly, from
   SNOBOL4 Project
   Department of Computer Science
   Gould-Simpson Building
   University of Arizona
   Tucson, AZ  85721
   (602)621-2018

Also, Catspaw, Inc., who has 680x0 SPITBOL and is supposed to have
brought it up on the Mac.  They also publish a newsletter, and run
a bulletin board for SNOBOL4.  My info is all old, but here it is:
   Catspaw, Inc.
   P.O. Box 1123
   Salida, CO 81201
   (303)539-3884
   (303)539-4830 (BB, Fido address 15/22)

I'm going to check on the SNOBOL4 from England.  If the Catspaw
SPITBOL is out for the MAC, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Darrell Skinner, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris (or near enough) France
   BITNET or EARN:  PMIDS at FRPOLY11
   paper mail:  Labo PMI / Ecole Polytechnique / 91128 Palaiseau France

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 17:46:51 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Mac -> Overhead projector interfaces

Good morning!
  I'm looking for another product recommendation. Would anyone with
experiences, good or bad, with hardware devices to allow the mac to project
onto a screen via an overhead projector please email them to me? I'll
summarize to the net(s).

tom c

                  Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch
         US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                       Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
                          ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil
                UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 17:09 MDT
From: <GELLMAN%UNCAEDU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacInHebrew

If you have recently successfully installed MacInHebrew
on a Mac SE, I need your help!
I obtained MacInHeb version 2 (or thereabouts), and the
fonts and DA appear to install correctly, in that they
show up in the DA & font lists. The CapsLock key
does move the cursor to the right, but to get a Hebrew
font I have to hold down the Option key. The fonts look
strange (can't be more specific).
All this on a SE with an internal 20MB disk (from Apple),
running System 6.0, Finder 6.1, 1 MB memory. I tried
it on fairly minimal system, with only rudimentary
DA's around, and no fancy CDEVs, standard fonts only.

Please reply to
        GELLMAN @ UNCAEDU.BITNET
since I do not have regular access to the BBS.
        Thanks,
        Reuben Gellman

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 11:45:57 EST
From: Joe McMahon <XRJDM%SCFVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Merge .HQX Stack

This little stack takes segmented .HQX files and puts them together
into a single merge file. No guarantees here, but it seems to work OK
for me. Also, note that sometimes BinHex will complain about a file,
but StuffIt won't.

 --- Joe M.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/merge-hqx-files.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 15:17 CST
From: <SRS9925@TNTECH>
Subject: New Hard Drive

"Disk subsystem for Macintosh is announced" - Nashville 'Tennessean'

        Northern Telecom announced yesterday what it said is the tele-
communications industry's highest capacity single disk subsystem for
Macintosh networks, the Memorybank 940E.
        The new product, with a suggested retail price of $17,900, offers
a 24% increase in disk capacity over previous models in the company's
Memorybank line.
        Officials said it is a hard disk/backup tape subsystem consisting
of 940 megabytes of disk capacity and 2.3 gigabytes of tape backup storage,
plus support software for disk management, data backup and restoration.
        They also said the company has reduced list prices for its entire
Memorybank product line, effective immediately.
        The 940E provides the same features as other Memorybank products,
Northern Telecom said, including:

        Backup of AppleShare networks without shutting down AppleShare.
        Ability to backup 2300 megabytes onto one small tape cartridge.
        Support for time delay, volume and time backup, as well as a
         variety of disk management routines.

        The product line also consists of of 261,485 and 761 megabyte models,
officials said.

Just thought it might intrest Mac users out there.

                                -Stephen Shaw
                                 SRS9925@TnTech

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 15:41 N
From: <SURF050%HTIKUB5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: reply to question on Mac VT100 keyboard for Mac Kermit

to all persons who reacted to my question on the use of VT100 with
MacKermit on a Mac+. I think the following reaction might be important
to all users. After using BinHex you'l find a number of terminals,
all ready for use.

thank you all for responding to my question. Good luck with the
terminals that follow.

                                        Ir. Koos Jorritsma
                                        Noordelijke Hogeschool Leeuwarden
                                        Vondelstraat 9
                        8913 HP         Leeuwarden (NL)
                                        SURF050@HTIKUB5

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/kermit-terminals.hqx; 115K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 13:01 CST
From: <SRS9925@TNTECH>
Subject: rumors

        Does anyone out there know anything about the rumored rewrite of
the macintosh finder???

                                -Stephen Shaw
                                 SRS9925@TnTech

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 18:46 CST
From: <SRS9925@TNTECH>
Subject: Stars 1.8

        Recently I got a copy of David P. Oster's Stars 1.8 from macserve@pucc,
which said that it would work on a Mac II.  I installed the accessory using
Apple's Font/DA mover, went under the apple and started it up. Instead of
Blacking out the screen and displaying stars (like 1.3 which sort of works on
the mac II), it blacked out the top inch of the screen and proceded to draw
stars all over the finder screen. In the top inch it just diplayed garbage.
Does anyone out there know what the problem is or know of a new version that
works properly. Also does anyone know of any other good anti-screen-burn
desk accessories out that work on the mac II

                                -Stephen Shaw
                                 SRS9925@TnTech

[Try Moire 2.22 - Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 08:38 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #10

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, January 16, 1989       Volume 5 : Issue 10

Today's Topics:
     Apparent Inconsistency in QElem Definitions
     Bug in Lightspeed Pascal 2.0
     Re: Printf Core Dumps on A/UX
     Re: Rewriteable Optical Disks
     Re: Dollars and Sense end of year
     Re: Alegra common lisp
     Re: Arabic Fonts and Editors
     MacMoney end of year
     SFPGetFile Question
     MacsBug behavior?
     More minor LSP problems
     Minor Inside Mac Discrepancy
     Landscape printing?
     Re: SFPGetFile Question
     Re: MacsBug behavior?
     Re: Bug in Lightspeed Pascal 2.0
     Re: Apple HD SC 80 does not support Asynch i/o.
     Where oh where has my interface gone?
     Re: a message box for the finder?
     Minor LSP 2.0 Bug
     Re: Apparent Inconsistency in QElem Definitions
     6.0.2: unlimited downloadable fonts: how?
     Radius/Fullwrite
     Help for Beginninger Programmer
     Re: Rewriteable Optical Disks (2 messages)
     Re: Why are there no Speech Recognition products for the Mac??
     Re: PageMaker 3.0 Problems
     4th Dimension Mailing Label Question
     Request for mac zoo archiver
     Re: Need help with printers
     Re: PageMaker 3.0 Problems

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-010.txt; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 08:40 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #11

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, January 16, 1989       Volume 5 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
     reading foreign disks
     Version control for the Mac
     Problem with SUM 1.02 and MenuClock101
     Re: Radius/Fullwrite
     Tough Ramdisk?
     Re: MacMoney end of year
     Mac Developers meetings coming up!
     Re: Minor LSP 2.0 Bug
     Re: Stack manipulation problems
     Re: Landscape printing?
     Re: a message box for the finder?
     re: Landscape printing?
     Mac hardware help needed
     Re: Minor LSP 2.0 Bug
     DIBadMount
     How do I change dialog font and size?
     Re: Printf Core Dumps on A/UX (also accntg bug)
     Re: WYSIWYG Math-Text Processing
     Re: Mac Interface, and ways to have a "Command Line" interface
     Re: Tough Ramdisk?
     Re: Version control for the Mac
     Re: WYSIWYG Math-Text Processing
     Re: Problem with SUM 1.02 and MenuClock101
     Re: Net Trek on a Mac II Bombs, why?
     Atron MacIntosh II hardware debugger
     Re: Is there a C++ for the Apple Macintosh?
     Re: Is there a program to test RAM?
     Re: Is there a C++ for the Apple Macintosh?
     Re: Why are there no Speech Recognition products for the Mac??
     Desktop Publishing on Mac - HELP
     Screenfonts: Adobe or Apple?
     Re: Minor LSP 2.0 Bug

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-011.txt; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 08:35 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V5 #9

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, January 16, 1989        Volume 5 : Issue 9

Today's Topics:
     Weird Thingy with LSC 2.15
     Apple ][ emulation?
     Redrawing windows using Allegro Common Lisp
     MacroMaker and Option-DA
     Re: PageMaker 3.0 Problems
     Re: Virtual Memory INIT
     Product idea (Apple, Claris, and independents, please note!)
     Re: Anyone heard of 'Liaison'?
     Looking for a font
     Drawing an ICN# or its mask
     Re: Open Resource File List
     Re: How to find total memory (a beginners hack)
     Re: serious code generation bug in Lightspeed C
     Re: Need help with INITs
     Re: Command Key D.A.s (a message box for the finder?)
     Re: Suggestion for virus prevention
     Alerts
     MacApp and the 68881
     Minix/Xinu for Mac?
     Solved problem with INIT
     Text Drawing at speeds in excess of 1200baud
     List Manager sources
     Hard Disk Icons (2 messages)
     Re: Stack manipulation problems
     Re: Alerts
     Temperment-like INIT anywhere????
     Re: Text Drawing at speeds in excess of 1200baud
     Re: ethernet overflow errors

[Archived as /info-mac/digests/usenetv5-009.txt; 38K]

End of Info-Mac Digest