Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 24 Jan 89       Volume 7 : Issue  15

Today's Topics:
                         APPLE->MAC TRANSFER
                           Brainchild Grade
                     Creating of PostScript file
                            Font Comments
                           HELP!! (2 msgs)
                     Hypertalk scripting question
                         II in a Mac - Review
                            Init 29 Report
                Key-combinations and user-friendliness
                           More Postscript
                    Page Flipping (Is There Hope?)
                            What database?
                             What Pascal?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 10:31 AST
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: APPLE->MAC TRANSFER

I have several disks full of library data written in
Quickfile on the Apple IIe.  My Quickfile program disk
has been trashed.  How can I transfer that data to the
Mac, for use in Filemaker or similar database program?
There is no communications card in the Apple IIe.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 21:20 CST
From: <MBENSMAN%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Brainchild Grade

Brainchild Grade is distributed by Kinko's in US for $25.00US.  It is a simple g
rading program (even I can use it).  Author is Evan Corbett, Dallas, TX.
Kindly sent me upgrade compatible with system 6.02.  I recommend it.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 03:20:35 EST
From: Greg Brail <ST601396%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating of PostScript file

This is something else that I think has been causing problems for all
those people out there who have been trying to create PostScript files
using the command-F and command-K options in the Print dialog box:

You can't just press command-K or command-F -- you have to hold it down
until the "creating PostScript file" message appears. After bringing
up the print dialog box, click on "OK," then immediately hold down
command-F (or K). Don't let go of it until the message appears.

I have a feeling that was holding a lot of people back.

                      -Greg
Greg Brail
ST601396@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 19:42:58 est
From: Waldemar Horwat <waldemar@VX.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Font Comments

A few comments about fonts:

1.  Many of the fonts that have been uploaded to the Info-Mac archives have
their resource forks corrupted in some way.  Palatino is especially bad in this
respect (many of the font resource names point to the same string, which is
sure to cause Resource Manager trouble).  Reading the font files with Font/DA
Mover 3.8 seems to work, but writing to them causes a system crash.

To check whether a font resource file is damaged:
  Run MPW 3.0's RezDet on the file.  It will report any inconsistencies in the
resource file.

To fix a damaged font resource file:
  Use Font/DA Mover 3.8 to create a new font file and copy all of the fonts
into it.  Then delete the old font file.

2.  It would be nice if the italic, bold, and bold-italic versions of screen
fonts did not clutter up the font menus.  This is easy to arrange.  Simply use
ResEdit to insert periods in front of the names of the italic, bold, and
bold-italic FOND resources and at the same time delete all of the
zero-length, named FONT resources.  (If for some reason you need these
zero-length FONT resources, copy all the fonts into a new file using Font/DA
Mover 3.8.  It will put them back in.)
  This will remove the styled fonts from the font menu, but they will still be
accessible by selecting the base font and choosing bold and/or italic in
whatever word processor you are using.  (Make sure you keep a backup of your
font file before doing this.  This procedure will not work on the old 64K ROM
Macs.)

3.  Is there a reason why the 9-point Helvetica screen font (taken from the
Info-Mac archives) is *bigger* than the 10-point Helvetica font?

				Waldemar Horwat
				waldemar@vx.lcs.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 00:26:44 EST
From: dg2y+@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: HELP!!

Don't ask me how this happened because I'm not really sure.

I was running a graphics program on my Mac, and I requested
the program to increase the size of the drawing.  My 20Meg
external drive started to spin, and I realized that it was
taking an extra long time (5-10 minutes).  I restarted the
computer only to find 2K of memory left on my drive.  Apparently,
I now have a DESKTOP file of over 3000K long.  Do I have to re-copy
everything back onto my drive, or is there a way to repair
the desktop file so it is back to normal (about 130K).
Thanks in advance
Dave Gillen
dg2y+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 08:04:59 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert George Johnston, Jr." <rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu>

    Just before the Finder mounts your Hard Disk volume, hold down the
Command-Option and Shift keys. You will be asked if you want to rebuild
your desktop file.

    Rob Johnston.

------------------------------

Date: TUE, 24 JAN 1989 14:37 JST
From: Ronald D. Notestine <DOUGLAS%JPNNUCBA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypertalk scripting question

Hello Info-Maccers,
      I have a Hypertalk scripting question. If anyone can help I would
be very grateful.
    --I wish to copy part of a card picture and paste it onto another
 card IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION.--
      This is easily done "manually". After pasting, one merely drags the
pasted selection to the new location. However, I wish to shift the loca-
tions of elements of card pictures on a couple hundred cards, or so.
Clearly, I wish to do this with a script.
       I had expected to use the DRAG command after pasting, with the
element still selected. But, this doesn't seem to work. If one is working
with buttons or fields, DRAG will indeed drag a button if the button tool
is chosen, or a field if the field tool is chosen. However, I have been
unable to budge a selected portion of the card picture with the select to
chosen.
        Any Ideas???

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 21:38:34 EST
From: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: II in a Mac - Review

"II in a Mac" is Apple II simulation software for Macintosh. It simulates an
Apple II with a clock, joystick (but no mouse), and four 5.25 inch Disk II or
two 3.5 inch disk drives. An 80 column card in slot #3, a serial card in slot
#2 with adjustable baud rate, data length, parity, and stop bits, and a RAM
card with up to 3.6 Mb RAM (Applied Engineering RAMWords standard) in slot 0,
are also simulated. The software is distributed on copyable 400K Macintosh
disks. It is published by Computer:applications, Inc., 12813 Lindley Drive,
Raleigh, NC 27614. Telephone 919-846-1411. It is sold by the publisher and
by distributers such as Mac Warehouse.

"II in a Mac" is very slow. It operates at about half the normal speed of a
//e or //c. For anyone who is accoustomed to an accelerated //e or //c, the
speed is a significant factor. It is said by some that it will operate at
normal 1 MHz //e speed in a Mac II.

A very serious problem with "II in a Mac" is its inability to reliably
produce open apple-X or closed apple-X commands, where X is some additional
key (such as  ?   or   P   or   ESC). One is supposed to produce open
apple by pressing OPTION and O  ;   closed apple by pressing OPTION and
C.  For open apple-X, OPTION and O are to be pressed together, then released,
the X is to be pressed. Occasionally this works. Generally, either nothing
happens or something unpredictable. I tried this with version 2.5 and 2.53,
on two different Mac Plus. Same problems in all cases. Since AppleWorks is
very dependent upon open apple-X commands, "II in a Mac" is useless for
AppleWorks.

AppleWorks enhanced with Timeout utilities should not be used with "II in
a Mac" . A crash attributed to attempting to execute an undefined 6502
instruction is reported.

AppleWorks v2.1 will not work with "II in a Mac" v2.53.

open or closed apple-X commands are used, and in which nothing that
might be considered an illegal opcode is used.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 12:46:45 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Init 29 Report

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

THE ELEVENTH WORD:

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

An Investigation Into the 712-byte RINIT 29S Macintosh Virus

by Thomas Bond, Mac Consultant
11684 Ventura Blvd., #932  %  Studio City, CA 91604
818-843-0567

) 1989 by Thomas Bond.  Permission is hereby granted to distribute in whole
part by any means, whether in print or electronic, as long as the name,
address and phone of the author remain unchanged.  Publications may quote
parts for use in education on computer virus problems.

     Code 0
       /
  Virus Segment
       \
      Application Segments
        /
      ????????

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:  This research could not have been completed without the
very valuable help received from Q Tom Pitts, Robert Wright and David Lagerson
of the MacValley Macintosh Users Group, Mark Weems of Kinko's Studio City
store, Ken Cary of PaperWorks in Burbank, Joe Niewe of California State
University, Northridge, and many others who gave up their time and advice.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/init29-info.txt; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 08:38 GMT
From: Ed de Moel <DEMOEL%HUTRUU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Key-combinations and user-friendliness

Hi networkers,

Since weeks now I see a discussion flow along concerning the
niceties of PostScript on the Mac. And I thought the Mac was
supposed to be user-friendly...

It even is so bad that one author has to write:

>  Proudly, I have to inform that the problem of creating of PS
>files has been solved a long time ago by me.

Part of the solution appears to be:

>  4. Now, select the print function. The printing window appears.
>  5. Press OK-button of window and  immediately after that
>     COMMAND-F or COMMAND-K (the difference was explained before).
>  6. Finally, the window saying "Creating PostScript files" appears
>     to mark you have succeeded.

Why don't the Apple people use their dialog-windows and
radio-buttons for this purpose. That way normal people might
understand what is going on...

I like the Mac and some of its soft-ware, but every time I need
an interesting function, the solution appears to be: try
command/option+character.

PLEASE: is there anyone out there who can supply me with a
(COMPLETE!) survey of these key-combinations. I do have Inside
Macintosh (1-5+xref), but that has not been of much help to me in
this respect.

Of course, it would still be better if the Apple people made
decent menus and dialogs, so that one wouldn't have to find out
things like command+shift+3 or command+k.

Please answer to this Mac-Info-forum, since I am sure I can't be
the only one with this problem.

Ed de Moel,
University of Utrecht,
BITNET: DEMOEL @ HUTRUU51
DIALCOM: 12428:PGA005

Disclaimer: I don't claim, so I don't have to disclaim.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 21:34:09 BST
From: Paul Sutton <pcs%ELECENG.BRADFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: More Postscript

  Peter  Jorgensen  and  Jouni Sanatra describe ways of making Macs generate
  Postscript files instead of printing to Laserwriters, but how exactly does
  one then printout these files to a Laserwriter on another machine?   I  am
  actually trying to print out files generated on a PC on a Laserwriter.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 22:02 CST
From: <SRS9925@TNTECH>
Subject: Page Flipping (Is There Hope?)

        I am Relatively new to programing on the macintosh, but having come
>From the Apple II family i am use to being able to flip pages to get relatively
smooth movement in graphics.  I am now attempting this process in applications
on the mac and I am running into brick walls left and right. After thumbing
for hours through stacks of books (Macintosh Revealed,Inside Macintosh to name
a few). The only thing I can find is that it is not possible to draw into a
hidden window and then move it to the front, the toolbox leaves it to you to
redraw a window that has been broughtforward. If anyone can offer any insight
to this problem, any other methods to obtaining the 'page flipping effect', or
references to any text that might clearify the situation I would appriciate
your help.

                        -Stephen Shaw
                         SRS9925@TnTech

[Use an off-screen bitmap and CopyBits. This works even on a Mac II, which
 does not have a second screen buffer. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 89   10:36 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: What database?

While we're at it, does anyone have any strong feelings regarding dBASE MAC
(or whatever A-T's product is called) vs. Foxbase/+ for the Mac?  We're
looking for a dBASE-like pgm. to complement Oracle/Mac.  We already have
lots of MS-DOS dBASE III+ applications, and Oracle/VMS.

Thanks for your comments--we're buying SOMETHING soon.

Ted
Theodore A. Morris, WB8VNV                    | 231 Bethesda Avenue
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Mail Location #574
Medical Center Information and Communications | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Information Research & Development Dept.      | (513)558-6046
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 89   10:27 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: What Pascal?

Does anyone out there have any information/opinions of what Pascal a new
Mac adopter should buy?  We've just spec'ed out an Ethernet of 9 Mac II/IIxes,
with a MicroVAX II, etc., and I (a systems analyst from the MS-DOS world), my
boss (deep thinker, not programming oriented), and our contract programmer are
going to Developer Ed 102 late next month.  We have bought little for our
network yet beyond telecommunications software, since that's the main purpose
of the network--accessing multiple other systems.

However, we're going to want to manage those comm sessions for our users,
either with a hypermedia script/stack, a shell program of some kind, or ...?
Therefore, I suspect I'm going to need to learn Pascal well enough to follow
along with any new contract programmers we hire.  I've been looking at TML
Systems' Pascal II, which includes the MPW.  Does anyone have an opinion on
this or any other Pascal?  Although we are a University and this is a grant-
funded project, money is not *necessarily* an object, if the product can
justify a higher cost.

Will look forward to your comments, and summarize to the net if it seems
warranted.  Thanks!

Ted
Theodore A. Morris, WB8VNV              | 231 Bethesda Avenue, Mail Loc. #574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Med. Ctr. Information & Communications  | (513)558-6046
"Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!

End of Info-Mac Digest