Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 08:45:20 EST
From: steinmetz!galactica!hallett@uunet.uu.net (Jeff A. Hallett)
Subject: Adobe Fonts

>The posted Adobe screen fonts for Avant Garde, Helvetica Narrow and Palatino
>contain an annoying error:  The names for the style fonts do not contain a
>dot in its name (like e.g. ".B Times Bold").  This means that they will appear
>in font menus.

This can be fixed easily by investing in a copy of Suitcase and using Font
Harmony to unify the styles.  If you don't want to do that, I have a full
document on how to unify the styles properly.  Email me if you want it.

A nastier problem is that I could not get the Bodoni and Franklin-Gothic to
unBinHex.  If others have had this problem, it could mean that the postings
are corrupted.  If someone has been successful, could they please email the
files to me?

Thanks.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: galactica!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|  		"Isn't fun like the best thing to have ever?		      |
|  					- Arthur			      |

------------------------------

Date: 30-JAN-1989 15:51:23 GMT
From: UGFA061%GEOG.QMC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: AppleShare PC equipment

I've been asked by a colleague of mine to pass on this request concerning
AppleShare PC equipment, since I was unable to help him. Is there anyone
out there on info-mac who can help him. Replies direct please, since I'm
not on the distribution list.

Name : David Mitchell
E-Mail : UGFA061 @ geog.qmc.ac.uk
Tel : 01 980 4811 ext. 3631
Snail-Mail : Department of Geography
             Queen Mary College
             Mile End Road
             London E1 4NS
             U.K.
The enquiry I would like you to make is as follows:

We currently operate a MicroVAX and a fairly minimal Ethernet which is
linked to a LocalTalk  network via a Kinetics FastPath. We are planning
to add at least one Mac II with a Kinetics Etherport to the Ethernet,
but note that the whole system runs using AppleTalk and AppleShare
protocols, using AlissaTalk on the VAX; in particular, we do not have
Dec-Net.

We wish to add a PC clone to the system (possibly a 386) without buying
additional VAX system software. We know that we can do this by combining
the AppleTalk PC board and AppleShare PC software, but this means that
the PC, which will be used to run fairly heavyweight data analysis
software such as SAS, will only be able to talk to the VAX at LocalTalk
speeds. Is there any way to run AppleShare PC software, or an equivalent,
using a PC connected directly to an Ethernet?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 16:21 CST
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Bitmap area calc program

This is something I haven't tried personally, but it sounds akin to what you're
looking for:
        "Planimeter"--for measuring the area of irregular regions such as
        cells.
It's in the "Reed Applications II" disk available from Kinko's Academic Course-
ware Exchange, $14.00.
                                        Hope this helps,
                                        Sandro Corsi
                                        U. of WI - Oshkosh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 16:49:55 -0900
From: Reed Rector <SXWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Expert system shells

    We are developing an expert system for a software engineering class that
I am currently taking. I would like to convince the people that we are develop-
ing the for to use a Mac rather than a PC. Does anyone out there have any
experience with some of the Expert system shells available for the Mac (or
the PC for that matter) such as Level5, Instant-Expert plus, Cognate, etc.
We need as much power as we can get, but don't have lots of money to purchase
it with (ain't it always the case).
    Mainly, I would just like to hear some opinions from anyone that has used
any of the Expert System shells. Please e-mail to me and I will summarize to
the net.

        Thanks in advance,
                Reed Rector
                Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks
                Bitnet:   SXWRR@ALASKA
                Internet: SXWRR@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 12:14:14 EST
From: Michael_P._Brown@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Hot T-Shirts

Sirs:
 I need information for a possible source for heat-transfer paper.  I
-this paper to transfer a MacVision image to say a T-shirt.  I've seen
-in booths in most Malls, but forgot to ask where they bought it.
 Thanks
 Eddie@cc.msstate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 12:23:44 EST
From: Michael_P._Brown@um.cc.umich.edu

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it may be
of interest . . . .
>From MacWorld, Feb. 1989, Letters, p.38

" . . . heat transfer ribbons that allow Mac-created designs
 to be printed out on regular paper and then transferred to
 a T-shirt by pressing them with a hot iron.  The system
 works great and I've had a lot of fun with it.  "
"The ribbon is still available from I/O Design for $19.95.
 The address is P.O. Box 156, Exton, PA 19341.
 Phone: 800/241-2122."

I'm not affiliated with company in any way, just passing
info on.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 10:40:10 EST
From: "Hugh A. Huntzinger" (CCL-S) <huntzing@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Keystrokes & Options

Ed wrote:

>As far as I understood, the MAC user interface is based on the
>principle that if you want an option, you only need to point to
>it with the mouse and click. This implies that all options,
>relevant or not in common denominator practice, MUST be visible
>on the screen, otherwise you can't point to it.
>
>We are now confronted with the situation, and the PostScript
>thing is just one example, that users KNOW something must be
>possible, but have NO MEANS OF FINDING OUT HOW they should do it.
>This is what I call 'not user-friendly'.

I'm in the same boat, but I'll add "... possible enough to look for ..."

I'm just a _user_ and I don't have the luxury of time to experiment.
"shift-option-4" is hard enough to remember.  Imagine my dismay when I
learned the "mouse-shift-move the bar-unshift-unmouse" commmand in MacWrite
DAYS AFTER I had reformatted 300+ pages of text the old fashioned way.
Ever see a rubber band around the mouse button to lock it down?

BTW, when you make up the list, make sure you differentiate between
systems.  When I get help from some of our local guru's, I seem to get Mac
SE Extended-keyboard commands that don't work/exist on a Mac Plus Keyboard.

-hummer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 08:05:34 MST
From: mwalters@Outlaw.UWyo.Edu (Michael Joe Walters)
Subject: Novell 2.15 MAC version

I am interested in hearing of experiences with the latest version of NOVELL
Local Area Network operating system (2.15) that supports MACs. What ethernet
boards are you using?, what problems have you found?, what do you like the
most about the system?, can you interchange MAC and DOS files?, etc.

Wyoming         Michael Walters                   Bitnet:
Higher          Associate Director, WHECN            MWalters@UWYO.BITNET
Education       Box 3945 University Station
Computer        Laramie, WY   82071-3945          Internet:
Network             1-307-766-4881                   MWalters@CORRAL.UWYO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 08:41 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: Ta Ta For Now

After about 4 years of continuous service this node (me) is finally
going off line for a much needed rest.  There will be no more Usenet or
Delphi Mac Digests and no more cross posting of files.  I will still be
around but as an observer.  If anyone would like to take over for me you
are more than welcome to.  I can arrange free access to the Mac SIG on
Delphi and provide you with my Macintosh based message digesting
program.

It has been fun these past years making the Mac telecomm community a
little more "global" and contribute to the sharing of ideas and
knowledge.  All this took time, *lots* of it, which I have recently run
out of.  So it is time to "pass the modem" to any willing takers.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Jeff "Mr. WorldNet" Shulman

 CSNet:  SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM
 Usenet: {backbone}!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
 Delphi: JEFFS
 GEnie:  KILROY
 MCI:    KILROY
 CIS:    76136,667

[I'm sure, Jeff, that many of us on the net have greatly appreciated your
 efforts to distribute the Usenet/Delphi digests and to download software
 from Delphi to Info-Mac. Is there someone who would be willing to take over
 this role? Without a volunteer, the quantity of software posted to Info-Mac
 will be substantially reduced.  -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 89 15:13:33 GMT
From: sw@kernel-technology.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin)
Subject: ThinkC Source for PAP i/f routines

I've just received my Jan 89 copy of MacTutor, and I noticed the request
for PAP i/f routines.  I attach below two files: pap.c and pap.h that are
meant to be built into a project, and called from your host application.
Because I do not build them into a DRVR (although you can), they are much
simpler.  Morever, they are self-contained and can be built using the
ThinkC compiler alone (I've used both ThinkC 2.x and 3.0).

The pap.c file includes a set of test routines (conditonally compiled
using the variable TEST).  When enabled, they simulate the action of the
LW, but write the PS to a file. This allows you to test the sequence of
PAP calls without having an LW present. To use the test routines, just
call the PAP routines as usual, and periodically call the routine
TestDelay (your main event loop is a good place).

To use them,
  a) call the routine PAPLoad once to load the PAP routines from the
     LW driver
  b) call PAPOpen to open a connection to the LW
  c) call PAPRead/PAPWrite as required to talk to the printer
  d) call PAPClose to close the connection to the printer
  e) repeat (b) to (d) as required; see MacTutor article on details of
     how to send EOF to the printer
  f) the PAPStatus call can be used to return info about the printer at
     any time
  f) call PAPUnload once before your application exits (you must do this
     because the PAP mgr has VBL tasks running and these must be removed)

I hope that you will find these routines useful. I have used them with
all vintages of LW drivers from 2.0 to 5.2, and all Systems from 2.1 to
6.0.2 (note that if you use a machine with the 64K roms, you may have to
install the AppleTalk drivers in your system file).
I would be glad to hear of any bug reports.

If anyone can add any details of the PAP mgr to that contained in Bob
Denny's excellent MacTutor article, please post to the net. In particular,
I'd like to know if there is any way of aborting a PS job once it has
started.

Sak Wathanasin

uucp:	...!ukc!kernel!sw
JANET:  sw@uk.co.kernel
BITNET: sw%kernel.co.uk%ukc.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
other:	sw@kernel.co.uk
phone:	(+44) 532 444566
snail:	Kernel Technology Ltd, 46 The Calls, Leeds LS2 7EY

[Archived as /info-mac/source/think-c-pap-routines-doc.txt; 2K
             /info-mac/source/think-c-pap-routines-h.txt; 1K
             /info-mac/source/think-c-pap-routines-c.txt; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1989 18:47:07 PST
From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: Warning v1.0

This is the latest version of the Warning init. Warning checks your System
file for the common types of viruses each time you start up. If it finds an
infection, you are presented with an alert which describes the situation and
asks you whether to continue or reboot. It is designed for use by non-
technical people; no knowledge of viruses or of ResEdit is required.

Warning does not check applications for viruses and only checks the System at
startup. Therefore, it does not provide complete security against viruses.
However, since it is so easy to use (you just throw it in your System Folder
and forget about it), it may give you more protection in practice than
something like Virus RX which must be run by hand if you want to perform a
check.

Changes since previous versions: less disk IO is required, all repair options
have been removed (since there are other tools which handle repair), checks
have been added for the Hpat and Init 29 viruses, and various small bugs have
been fixed.

Bill Lipa

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/warning.hqx; 6K]

End of Info-Mac Digest