Date: 31 Jan 89 02:30:47 GMT
From: mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson)
Subject: 6.0.3 Change History (Official)

The following is a copy of a document shipped to developers
describing the changes to System Software 6.0.3.  You will notice
that only the System file, Responder, and AFE files are changed.

United States Macintosh System Software 6.0.3
Change History

Revision Dates:    December 23, 1988
    Copyright (c) Apple Computer, Inc. 1988.  All rights reserved.

Introduction

This document summarizes the changes made to the United States
Macintosh System Software 6.0.2, since it's release in release in September,
1988.

The United States Macintosh System Software 6.0.3 release is primarily a
maintenance release and a bug fix for the Apple File Exchange.  In addition it
provides a hook to support 32 Bit Color QuickDraw, and fixes problems in the
AppleTalk Manager and the Time Manager.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/system-603-changes.txt; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 14:58:41 EST
From: steinmetz!galactica!hallett@uunet.uu.net (Jeff A. Hallett)
Subject: Adobe Fonts

Here is a summary of the process as outlined in the document I made
reference to in my last posting.  The full version can be obtained on the
CompuServe Adobe Forum under the title of INVFNT.TXT.

-------------------------------- 8< -----------------------------------------

1.  Inside of Font/DA Mover, create a new font file.  Copy in all the Roman
versions of the font.  Then, copy in the Non-Roman versions.  The non-Roman
versions all start with I, B, or BI.  An exception is Helvetica Narrow
which have non-Roman versions starting with NI, NB, NBI.

2.  Using ResEdit (v. 1.1B3 or later), open the new font file created in
step 1.  You will see two kinds of resources, FOND and FONT.  Both will
need to be adjusted.  The NFNT resource should be ok, provided you obeyed
the order specified while doing step 1.

3.  Double click on the FOND resource.  There is a FOND for each screen
font in the file.  Select each non-Roman font and do "Get Info" or CMD-I.
Click in the front of the name appearing in the Info box and enter a "% "
(percent then space) so that the name becomes "% I ...", for example.
Close the Info box and repeat for each of the other non-Roman fonts.

4.  Close the FOND resources by clicking in the close box for the FOND
window.

5.  The next step is to do the FONT resources.  Hold down the Option Key as
you Double click the FONT resource to open its window.  Using the Option
key insures that you get ALL the FONT resources, rather than just the
non-zero ones.  You need all of them.

6.  You will see a font ID number for every point size of each font.  The
zero length FONT resources are the only ones which have names - these are
the ones you need to change.  You change the names identically as in step
3.  Remember to only change the non-Roman fonts.

7.  Close the FONT window.  Now re-open both the FONDs and FONTs and
double-check what you have done.  You should be able to install the font
and all its family members as usual.  Please use Font/DA Mover 3.8.

-------------------------------- 8< -----------------------------------------

Now, I still recommend getting Suitcase II so you can use the Font Harmony
program.  There are resource defects in some of the Adobe fonts that you
cannot fix in ResEdit easily.  Font Harmony can fix them - I suspect this
was the problem with the person who what complaining about problems with
the Courier.

Lastly, this process is not endorsed by Adobe, although they posted it
originally, and I disavow any responsibility.  If you screw up your fonts
its your problem.  Remember, using ResEdit voids your warranty. :^):^):^)

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: galactica!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|  		"Isn't fun like the best thing to have ever?		      |
|  					- Arthur			      |

------------------------------

Date: Mon 30 Jan 89 20:47:46-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@lear.stanford.edu>
Subject: Custom palette offscreen example

Here's a six-file example from Apple of drawing a PICT into an offscreen pixmap
with a custom palette, and copying it to the screen, written in MacApp (#8
below).  It's on AppleLink, in the directory Developer Services/Developer
Technical Support/Macintosh/Sample Code/SC.008.FracAppPalette.

Descriptions of the graphics programs:

 This is a series of sample programs for those doing development
 using Color QuickDraw.  Since the whole color problem depends
 upon the exact effect desired, there are a number of answers
 to how to use colors, from the simple to the radically complex.
 These programs try to cover the gamut, so you should use
 which ever seems appropriate.  In most cases, use the simplest
 one that will give the desired results.  The compatibility
 rating is from 0..9 where low is better.  The more known risks
 there are the higher the rating.

 The programs (in order of compatibility):

  SillyBalls:
   This is the simplest use of Color QuickDraw, and does
   not use the Palette Manager.  It draws randomly colored
   balls in a color window.  This is intended to give you
   the absolute minimum required to get color on the screen.
   Written in straight Pascal code.
   Compatibility rating = 0, no known risks.

  FracAppPalette:
   This is a version of FracApp that uses only the Palette
   Manager.  It does not support color table animation
   since that part of the Palette Manager is not sufficient.
   The program demonstrates a full color palette that is
   used to display the Mandelbrot set.  It uses an offscreen
   gDevice w/ Port to handle the data, using CopyBits to
   draw to the window.  The Palette is automatically
   associated with each window.  The PICT files are read
   and written using the bottlenecks, to save on memory
   useage.
   Written in MacApp Object Pascal code.
   Compatibility rating = 0, no known risks.

  TubeTest:
   This is a small demo program that demonstrates using the
   Palette Manager for color table animation.  It uses a
   color palette with animating entries, and draws using the
   Palette Manager.  There are two circles of animating colors
   which gives a flowing tube effect.  This is a valid case
   for using the animating colors aspect of the Palette Manager,
   since the image is being drawn directly.
   Written in straight Pascal code.
   Compatibility rating = 0, no known risks.

  FracApp:
   This is the commercial quality version of FracApp.  This
   version supports color table animation, using an offscreen
   gDevice w/ Port, and handles multiple documents.  The
   CopyBits updates to the screen are as fast as possible.  The
   program does not use the Palette Manager, except to
   provide for the system palette, or color modes with less than
   255 colors.  For color table animation using an offscreen
   gDevice w/ Port, it uses the Color Manager and handles the
   colors itself.  Strict compatibility was relaxed to allow for
   a higher performance program.  This is the most real of the
   sample programs.
   Written in MacApp Object Pascal code.
   Compatibility rating = 2.  (nothing will break, but it may not
    always look correct.)

  FracApp300:
   This doesn't support colors, but demonstrates how to create and
   use a 300 dpi bitmap w/ Port.  The bitmap is printed at full
   resolution on LaserWriters, and clipped on other printers (but
   they still print).  It demonstrates how to use a high resolution
   image as a PICT file, and how to print them out.
   Written in MacApp Object Pascal code.
   Compatibility rating = 1.  (The use of PrGeneral is slightly
    out of the ordinary, although supported.)

[Archived as /info-mac/source/apple-color-examples.hqx; 78K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 21:43 GMT
From: <JONES%COLOLASP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Mike Jones)
Subject: draft memos

I would like to make a DRAFT mode for my memos that would clearly label them
as a draft. I once saw a tip (don't know where, don't know when) that would
write the word DRAFT in one inch high, 25% grey letters rotated 45 degrees
on each page of a Word document. As is recall it was only a few lines of raw
Postscript inserted in the Postscript style of Word at the top of the
document. Does anyone recall this procedure, or is wizard enough to just
create it out of hand?

The effect would be something like:
        ________
        !       !
        !...  T !
        !... F  !
        !   A   !
        !  R ...!
        ! D  ...!
        !_______!

Thanks for your help,

Mike Jones              SPAN            zodiac::jones
LASP, Campus box 392    INTERNET        jones%zodiac@vaxf.colorado.edu
University of Colorado  BITNET          jones@cololasp
Boulder CO 80309        phone           (303)492-1295

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 10:03 CET
From: Anders Liljegren <TEKAL%SEUDAC21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Gatorbox

Hi there|

We have an AppleTalk net with some Mac+s and a LaserWriterII. We also
have an Eathernet with some HP workstations (370 & 340). We should of
course like to be able to use the LaserWriter from the workstations
(including graphics). We would also like to use the disks of the
workstations as fileservers to the Macs.
Does any know if this is possible with Gatorbox or by some other means?

Anders Liljegren, Uppsala University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 08:44:50 -0500
From: Joel B Levin <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: INIT 29 further information and corrections

There have been a few misconceptions floating around about INIT29 and
how it works.  It is quite virulent, spreading at the drop of a hat,
and I don't want to minimize it; but there is a slight bit of
overstatement in what I have read and I want to try to correct it a bit.

1. If you have booted from a clean system (System file and INIT, cdev,
and RDEV type files are all clean), then you are running clean.
Nothing will happen if you put an infected disk in your drive, if you
look at an infected file with ResEdit or copy a file.  The ONLY thing
which does damage while you are running clean is to run an infected
application.  Doing so will infect your CURRENT System file.  That's
all it will do (not that it isn't enough); you will still be running
clean afterward.  Rebooting with an infected system file is necessary
before the serious damage starts.

2. Booting from an infected system disk (one or more of your System
file and the INIT, cdev, and RDEV type files IN YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER are
infected) will cause your system to run dirty, i.e. with OpenResFile
patched to infect anything it opens.  Now you are in a state when
merely opening any file with a resource fork will infect it with
either an INIT 29 resource (if there is no CODE 0 resource) or with a
new CODE resource (if there is a CODE 0 resource).  It is thus true
that merely inserting a floppy disk (under Finder, not necessarily in
applications, which might not cause the Desktop file to be opened) a
copy of INIT29 "infects" the Desktop file on that disk.  And any
documents or other miscellaneous files which are opened for any reason
are likely to have an INIT29 written into them.  However, the only
significant INIT29's are those written into the System file or into a
type INIT, cdev, or RDEV file in the system folder.  In other files
the INIT29 resource is less like an infection than like a benign tumor
-- it takes up space, is neither useful nor harmful, and sometimes
gets in the way of something and causes it to break.  [This doesn't
mean that some future virus couldn't activate it somehow.]

3. The only sure way to deal with INIT29 at this moment is to have a
completely clean system on a hardware LOCKED diskette, complete with a
detection tool like VirusDetective.  All copies of INIT29 may be
safely removed.  All infected applications should be deleted and
restored from locked master disks (you did keep those around, of
course, and locked :-)).  At this moment I know of no available
programs capable of properly removing the infection from an
application-like file (i.e. has a CODE 0 resource), including Virex;
but I guarantee you there will be one or more available before long.

	/JBL
=
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 10:35 AST
From: "Kevin Cassidy, System Operator" <KCASSIDY%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Local Talk connections

Hello,

    This is a question passed on to me about problems we've been
experiencing with our AppleTalk network. I really don't know anything
about Appletalk myself, but hopefully any answers will be appreciated
by this third party.

    The question is simple : On a Local Talk (Apple Talk) network,
are there any restrictions on the number of notes on the net ? We
have 50 nodes on our net. The limit is supposed to be 32, but is
that number the number of ACTIVE nodes on the net or the number of
nodes hooked up to the net, period ?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Cassidy
System Operator
Saint Mary's University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 16:10:14 LCL
From: ELDRIDGE%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac Irma

Does anyone out there have any experiences/info on the performance of Mac Irma?
We are currently using Avatar boards with both Mac II's and SE's and are happy
with them, but are interested in examining other alternatives.  Thank you for
any information.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 23:52:39 BST
From: Paul Sutton <pcs%ELECENG.BRADFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PD PSsend

Hello,

does  anyone know where  one   can find a   PD program that'll  send a
postscript file to a laserwriter for printing.  Something  like PSsend
would seem  to  be appropriate;  is there   anything  like it  in  the
INFO-MAC archives?   Any info  or  PD or  shareware programs  would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
	Paul
Paul Sutton		 |JANET: pcs@uk.ac.bradford.marvin
University Of Bradford   |ARPA: pcs%marvin.bradford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31-Jan-89 08:29:05 PST
From: portal!cup.portal.com!wmartin@sun.com
Subject: Retry: Tecmar Drive Magic: Avoiding Reformatting

Whether this is a random occurrance or not, only the Hard Drive Gods
know, but, from time to time, my Tecmar MacDrive becomes confused and seems to
trash its master directory blocks. Usually this means reformatting the
drive. (thanks to religious backups I have not lost any thing, yet...)
   Anyhow, last time this happened, the Tecmar Volume Manager software was
giving me it's usual helpful alert messages ("Can't reformat the drive!
Please Contact your Tecmar Dealer for Help (OK)" Ha!) when, in
frustration/desperation, I selected "Reset Print Spooler" from the Volume
Manager menu. Lo and behold, like Lazarus, my data was restored whole and
intact. (Guess the MDB wasn't trashed after all.)
   The point is, Tecmar owners (anybody left??), you might try selecting
"reset Print Spooler" before reformatting your drives again next time. Since we
have been able to patch the Tecmar driver resources into all system versions
up from 1.something to 3.2, who knows what kind of magic stuff is coded into
the "Reset Print Spooler" feature...
   -wiley

End of Info-Mac Digest