Date: Thu, 2 Feb 89 16:32:29 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: "DRAFT" Overlay for WriteNow Documents?

Can anyone tell us how to do the neat "DRAFT" overlay trick for WriteNow
documents that will be sent to a Laserwriter NT printer?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 89 08:49:47 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AFE and Works/Appleworks

  It is no longer necessary to save Appleworks files as ASCII files
in order to transfer them to a Mac.  The latest version of Microsoft
Works contains a translator that will translate Appleworks files to
Microsoft Works files.  (Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work the
other way.)

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury
32 Hillside Avenue, Waterbury, CT 06710
(203) 757-1231

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 89 09:38:23 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: BundAid

Here is a small program called BundAid that turns off the bundle
bit of any file without a BUND resource.  Very handy for fixing
that nasty "Application Missing or Busy" message.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/util/bundaid.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 09:10:43 PST
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CD Editor Demo Stack

The CD Editor Demo stack provides an "editor" for generating
specific play passages from audio CD disks using HyperCard
and the Apple CD SCSI drive.  Includes a complete control
panel for controlling the play of audio CDs in real time.
Use this stack to start playing a CD disk from a specific
location, and subsequently mark the beginning and ending
addresses of a sound "clip" or passage for playback in an
interactive audio stack.  This demo stack is completely
functional, except that it lacks the extensive save
function, for saving a series of clips to a file for use in
another stack, for loading a file of sound clips, and for
individual testing of sound clips from a saved file.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/cd-editor-demo.hqx; 54K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 89 11:36:49 CST
From: Don Davis <AEDAVIS%UMSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Gatorbox?

> WE HAVE AN APPLETALK NET WITH SOME MAC+S AND A LASERWRITERII. WE ALSO
> HAVE AN EATHERNET WITH SOME HP WORKSTATIONS (370 & 340). WE SHOULD OF
> COURSE LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE THE LASERWRITER FROM THE WORKSTATIONS
> (INCLUDING GRAPHICS). WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO USE THE DISKS OF THE
> WORKSTATIONS AS FILESERVERS TO THE MACS.
> DOES ANY KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH GATORBOX OR BY SOME OTHER MEANS?
>
> ANDERS LILJEGREN, UPPSALA UNIVERSITY

CAP version 5.0 and the FTP information. This server has been implemented for
HPUX so it should not have any problems with your HP workstations. It is availb
le from cunixc.columbia.edu for Anonymous FTP.

[Archived /info-mac/report/cap-for-unix.txt; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 89 12:09 EST
From: S71DDOD%TOWSONVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Help on two qestions

        Hi all.  This is my first time sending anything to infomac, so please
bear with me.

        I am a student employee of a micro computer lab at Towson State
University in Maryland.

        I would like to know if I can do two things to the Turbo Pascal
application by Borland International and if I need to contact them for
copyright reason before I do any of the following.

        The first thing that I wish to to do is make the Turbo apllication
the only application that will run when the disk is booted (No Finder).
When a student boots the disk with Turbo Pascal and the Macintosh system on
it I want it to boot up into Turbo Pascal.  When the Student quits the Turbo
Pascal application I want the computer to do the equvalent of a "Shut Down".

        Now the second thing I would like to do.  I would like to add a delete
option to the Turbo Pascal's File Menu. I think I know how to add something to
the pull down menu, but I would like to be sure.  Also, I need to know how to
actually do the deletion by having the computer bring up a standard dialog box
so the student can choose the file they want to delete and a dialog box for
deletion confermation.

        I will be doing this on a Mac Plus with two 800k drives if that makes
any difference.  Also, I am not that experienced with this kind of Macintosh
programming and would appricate any of your expert knowledge.

I would prefer if you would send your reply directly to me.

Please send your reply to

        s71ddod@towsonvx

Thank you very much.
Mark Dodd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 89 19:28 EST
From: <GILBERTD%IUBACS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Imagewriter Tall Adjust default

 In case anyone else is interested in making "Tall Adjusted" the
 default print option for your imagewriter (so that imagewriter
 dots are square and page size/formatting remains the same when
 you switch to a Laserwriter), here is the protocol:

    1) Use ResEdit to operate on the ImageWriter chooser
 device from the current full system (6.0.2).  This
 may not hold for other versions.
    2) Find and open the resource PREC #0.  There are 3 PRECs,
 #1 seems identical to #0, but #0 is the important one.
    3) Find the 20th byte (this is offset #19 from 0).  It should
 have a value of "02".  Change it to "06".
    4) Quit ResEdit, saving the change.

  For reference, the original bytes at offset 18-25 are
        0102 0528 03FC 0001
  The new values are
        0106 0528 03FC 0001

 Of course, make a backup of your ImageWriter file before
 operating.  This looks easier than teaching a bunch of
 novices that they need to hit that option box each time
 they create a document.
                            Don

BioComputing Office  >       <  Phone   : (812) 855-7807
Biology Department  >   Don   < IU EMail: Gold::GilbertD
Indiana University  > Gilbert < BitNet  : GilbertD@IUBACS.BITNET
Bloomington,IN 47405 >       <  InterNet: GilbertD@Gold.Bacs.Indiana.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 89 10:09:36 PST
From: decwrl!well!wdh@labrea.stanford.edu (Bill Hofmann)
Subject: Inside Mac V5 C Prototypes

These are ANSI C prototypes for Volume 5 of Inside Mac.  I'm currently using
them with THINK C 3.01p, and the #ifdefs are named appropriately.  You may
need to change them for another compiler.  Use, distribute, enjoy!  Send
comments and bugs (gasp!) to:

-Bill Hofmann		wdh@well.uucp
  Flashpoint		BILLHOFMANN (Delphi)

[Archived as /info-mac/source/think-c-protos-imv.txt; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  2 Feb 89 14:36:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Cooper <ecc@CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Is partitioning useful for private disks?

Is there any reason for partitioning a private SCSI disk, assuming I'm not
interested in password protection or encryption of contents?

Can it make the disk more robust in the face of misbehaving programs (can one
enforce read-only partitions?)  Or reduce fragmentation, or simplify backups?

                                Eric Cooper
                                ecc@cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 89 16:40:44 EDT
From: Alfredo Abbud Terrazas        <PL146406@TECMTYVM>
Subject: Mac to TELEX?

I hope I can get help out of you mac users. I need to know if there is any
way of connecting a Macintosh to Telex via modem or through any other special
device. Also want to know if there is any software with it.

A friend of mine wants to do it, but (like most weird experiments) he hasn't
seen anyone do it yet. Is there any person who can assist me in this crisis?

Thanks in advance.               -- Alfredo Abbud --

      "Murphy's Law never stops to embarrass me"

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Feb 89 17:52 CST
From: <DBLUESTN%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SCANNERS

        What is the opinion on scanners in the general Mac community?  I am
searching for a scanner that is graphics and OCR capable and must be able to
be connected to both a Mac and IBM (for the others in the department).  What do
most people use/recommend?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Please send
to my E-mail address below and I will summerize.

        David Bluestein
        P.O. Box 2890
        Auburn, AL 36831

BITNET