Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1989 14:38:14 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

I have created a new directory called freq. It's intended for answers to
frequently asked questions. I think all veteran readers know what these are:

	1) How do I generate a Postscript file to use on another printer?
	2) Help! My hard disk doesn't show up on the desktop when I boot up.
	3) How can I rebuild the desktop?
	4) The apple symbol in the menu bar is flashing. I must have a virus.

Part of the point of a moderated digest like Info-Mac is to screen out the
noise caused by questions like these repeated again and again. However, it's
of course necessary for novice users to find out the answers to such
questions; that's how they become more experienced.

I have put preliminary answers to these questions in the freq directory.
Please read them and comment on their accuracy. Feel free to suggest
additional topics which should be included in freq.

Still no news on updating the Bitnet server to talk with the new archive.
However, I have discovered the existence of a mail server which talks to the
old archive. This may be convenient for those of you on UUPC and other
isolated sites which don't have either Bitnet or FTP access. Mail us for more
info.

Bill Lipa
info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 3 Feb 1989 10:21:02 EST
From: m20011@mwvm.mitre.org (Anup Patel)
Subject: AppleWorks

I've been a fan of AppleWorks for many years.  Not only have I used it, but
I've taught Intro. to Computers courses at a local University.  I think it's a
very good product not only for beginners, but also for more advanced users.
Admittedly, it's not as powerful as MS-Word or other word processors, but for
getting the job done FAST, it's very good.

Saying all this, has Apple introduced a MAC version?  If it has, is A.W. for
MAC as fast as for the Apple II/GS/...?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 20:52:57 -0100
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: BackIt 3.03 (was PSBU) part 1 of 2

BackIt v3.03 - Preselective Backup Utility(was P.S.B.U.)

Enhancements since last version 2.3.x:

Most things not directly recognized by the user. Some file
copying code rewritten. Better error detection. Possible to
create folders from inside the application.

BackIt is distributed as shareware.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/backit-303.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 89 10:42 EST
From: <J_RICHAR%HVRFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: French Spelling Checker

I have been unable to locate a French Spelling Checker that will work with the
Macintosh version of Microsoft Word.  If anyone knows of one, whether shareware
or a commercial product, please let me know.

                                        Jan Richard
                                        Haverford College Computer Center
                                        Bitnet address:  J_RICHARD@HVRFORD

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 16:48 EST
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help on two qestions

To answer your first question, click on the Turbo Pascal icon in the Finder.
Choose Set Startup... from the Special menu, and click on the selected
applications button, then click OK. (You can remove the finder by starting
up from a different disk).

To answer your second question, you can add a menu item, but you will only
confuse the program. As far as adding code to execute it, I think that a
miraculous work of patch code, so you are far better off with putting a
public domain desk accessory on the disk that can delete files, such as
Disktop.

Maurice Volaski

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 15:31:29 PST
From: puatu@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Hyperscan Magic Button

At the MacWorld Expo, Bill Atkinson demonstrated an undocumented feature
in HyperScan called the "Magic Button."  With it, the user can select a
beginning window and an ending window and HyperScan would interpolate
subsequent windows in a multiple scan.  Unfortunately, I did not remember
how he selected the two windows.  Anyone Know?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 09:42:25 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #23

> Is there any reason for partitioning a private SCSI disk, assuming I'm
> not interested in password protection or encryption of contents?

> Can it make the disk more robust in the face of misbehaving programs
> (can one enforce read-only partitions?)  Or reduce fragmentation, or
> simplify backups?

Yes to all of the above.

Partitioning a large hard disk into several smaller volumes will reduce
the size of the smallest allocation block.  On a 100-meg hard disk,
files are allocated in chunks of (I think) 4k bytes each;  if you have
lots of relatively small files, this can add up to quite a bit of
wasted space.  If you partition the disk into subvolumes that are < 32
meg each, the allocation blocks become substantially smaller (down to
1k bytes, I think).

If you're planning on storing a large number of applications on a hard
disk (f'rinstance, in a PD/shareware library), then the "Desktop" file
for that disk will become very large;  updating the file takes a long
time, and if you _really_ stuff the disk full of files you can push the
Desktop file past the maximum number of resources that the Resource
Manager can support.  If this happens, CRASH!

By splitting a disk into several partitions, and dividing your
collection of applications across these partitions, you can keep the
Desktop file size well clear of the point at which its performance
begins to suffer.

If you use a volume backup utility such as DiskFit (i.e., one which is
relatively unselective about what it backs up), you can simplify your
backup task by keeping your active data files in a small partition that
you back up frequently, your System and applications in another
partition that you back up every so often, and your unchanging files
(e.g. PD and shareware stuff) in yet another partition that you never
back up, but simply restore from your PD/shareware floppies if you need
to.  The System/application and PD/shareware partitions will suffer
very little fragmentation while in use, because their contents are not
changed frequently.  If the data partition becomes fragmented, it can
be defragmented relatively quickly.

You can set up a small partition as a "hot lab" for testing new
programs of uncertain behavior and possible danger.  Build a minimal
system environment in this partition using the Installer.  When you
want to test a new program, drag it over into this partition,
command-shift-doubleclick on the Finder in this partition [which makes
this partition your "startup volume"], then drag all of the other
partitions into the trash (dismounting them).  It's MUCH harder for a
virus to spread into an unmounted partition (I know of none that are
capable of doing so).

One can enforce read-only partitions.  Jeff Shulman's freeware
"DiskLock" desk accessory can set the "volume lock" bit on an HFS
partition, thus preventing the creation of new files and the
modification of existing ones.  This isn't as secure as unmounting the
partition or physically write-protecting or unplugging the disk, but it
will stop most forms of accidental and willful modification.

I have a 100-meg disk in my Mac II, broken up into 3 partitions of
about 32 megs each.  It's a wonderful setup;  I would not want to go
back to a nonpartitioned arrangement.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 10:17:07 +0100
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Is partitioning useful for private disks?

There are at least three reasons for partitioning a disk:

1. There is (I believe) on desktop file for each logical disk (i.e.
partition). If your disk is unpartitioned, and you have a LOT of files
(e.g. MacZap with all the patches, etc.), then updating the desktop
file may take a significant amount of time. By sticking these files
into a separate partition with little file-creation activity, you
reduce the overhead when creating files on other partitions.

2. Disk fragmentation. As time goes by, your files tend to become
fragmented - i.e. they are no longer stored contiguously on the
physical medium. By partitioning the disk, you reduce the
fragmentation, and thereby speed up accesses.

3. Backups. A number of backup programs deal only with disks, not
folders. By partitioning your disk you may back up parts of your files
as if the partition were a "real" disk. If you organize your
partitions wisely, this may reduce the effort of backing up your
volatile data significantly.

-- Sigurd Meldal

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Feb 89 14:07 EST
From: A. DARO <ACCAMD@HOFSTRA>
Subject: MacKermit

First, thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions in the past.
This has been a terrific source of information.

Next - we are distributing MacKermit to users who will be dialing in
to both our Vax 8530 and IBM 4381.  I need to set up key definitions
for each of those settings.  I have ordered the latest MacKermit from
Columbia, which I understand comes with a key definition program.
BUT I am wondering 1) will it include options for both the original
Apple keyboard AND the extended keyboard and 2) has anyone done this
already who can advise me in advance of things they discovered?

Please reply directly to me and I will summarize if people are
interested.  Thanks in advance -

Anne Daro
Hofstra University
BITNET:  ACCAMD@HOFSTRA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 89 12:38 AST
From: "Jose Mendez, Network Manager" <J_MENDEZ@acupr.upr.cun.edu>
Subject: Update with my MAC/SE booting problem

Hi,

I just wanted to update you on my MAC/SE booting problem.  A few weeks ago I
submitted my problem.  My MAC takes about 3 or 4 minutes to boot from the Hard
Disk.  When turned on the Disk would just whirl while a disk icon with a
flashing question mark would stay on screen.  I received some good advices
which I quickly implemented.

First, some people told me to compact my Desktop file.  I don't know how big
it was but anyway it didn't help at all.  Holding down the option and apple
keys while booting the machine causes it to compact the Desktop file.

Second, many people told me my HD was too fragmented, that I should de-fragment
it.  I bought DiskExpress (AlSoft) to do so.  It's a very neat utility which
I beleive all Mac users should have.  I took a look at my disk and it was
fragmented like heck.  DiskExpress has an option called QUICK OPTIMIZE.  It'll
de-fragment files but will not optimize the space utilization, in other words,
it won't eliminate free space between files.  Well this didn't do much either.
I then told it to OPTIMIZE with PRIORITY which is the heavy option.  Not only
does it eliminate the free space between files, but it orders the files in the
HD so that system files are at the beginning and files which are dynamic
(which write to the HD and are of variable size) are put at the end of the used
space so that it takes the free space next to it.  It must have taken at least
1 1/2 hours (I'm not sure cause I fell asleep and woke up at 5:30 am).
I was very happy to just think that I wouldn't have to sit in front of my MAC
and wait 4 minutes.  But, oh, the agony, no change at all.  The HD looks real
neat now but it STILL takes 4 minutes to boot.

I appreciate all you people who gave me good suggestions.  Is there any other?
What else can I do?

Thanks.

Jose Mendez
J_MENDEZ@UPRENET.BITNET
J_MENDEZ@ACUPR.UPR.CUN.EDU

"Nothing is as easy as it seems."  Murphy

"When you've tried everything and nothing works... read the instruction."

End of Info-Mac Digest