Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/07/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  6 Feb 89       Volume 7 : Issue  26

Today's Topics:
                           Brainchild Grade
                        dCAD Calculator DA 3.9
                         Desktop Manager Fix
                        FullWrite Diddler 1.2
                            Mac-based BBS
                               MacSpeed
                              N-Font 1.1
                            PictDisplay DA
                            SetClock 1.8.1
                              ShowCINIT
             Slow text in PowerPoint while in color mode
             Soft- and hardware for the visually impaired
                         SuperClock 3.1 cdev
                      System Error Table DA 2.0

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Sun, 05 Feb 89 22:55:13 -0900
From: Hans  <FTHAH%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Brainchild Grade

Brainchild Grade is no longer carried by Kinko's.  Apparently many users
have had problems with the program and it does not live up to the same
standards as the rest of the academic courseware that Kinko's carries.
I would suggest seeking an alternative program.

- Hans Hazelton

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:57:50 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: dCAD Calculator DA 3.9

This is version 3.9 of Desktop CAD's scientific and programmer's calculator
DA. Many bug fixes, plus improved keypad support which should cover all
machines.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/dcad-calculator-39.hqx; 46K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:38:04 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Desktop Manager Fix

This is the Desktop Manager fix, by Harry Starr. This program patches Finder
6.1 to work better with the "Desktop Manager" INIT. The Desktop Manager is
a Startup document (INIT resource) that comes with AppleShare and is used by
the AppleShare server to manage it's desktop. It is possible to use the
Desktop Manager on a stand-alone Mac to improve Finder performance in
managing the desktop file, and to get around the problems the Finder has
with large desktop files containing many resources. One of the few drawbacks
to the Desktop Manager scheme is that it leaves its files (Desktop DB and
Desktop DF) open all of the time; this means that you cannot unmount hard disks
when you use the Desktop Manager (it has no effect on floppies). This patch
allows the Finder to close the open files and dismount volumes. I have been
using this patch for over two months now with no problems whatsoever.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/desktop-manager-fix.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:42:13 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: FullWrite Diddler 1.2

This is the FullWrite Diddler version 1.2 by Fred Reed. FWP Diddler is an
INIT resource (startup document) that is activated by placing it in your
System Folder and restarting your Mac. FWP Diddler patches FullWrite so that
utilities which use pop-up or altered menus will work correctly in FullWrite.
This includes On Cue and HierDA. This does not affect the functionality of
FullWrite in any way.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/fullwrite-diddler-12.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Feb 89 09:39 EST
From: rrenfro%tofacsa@dtrc.arpa (Richard Renfro)
Subject: Mac-based BBS

We are looking into setting up a bulletin board on a Mac with a large
disk.  The main use would be as a mail drop and central document
library for various project teams.  Access would initially be via 2400
baud modem and 9600 baud hard wire from another computer/LAN.
If possible, would also like to incorporate into existing AppleTalk
TOPS multi-zone network.  Users would communicate from their
IBMs, Macs, or other minis.

Desired features:
  -Password security, with multiple access levels
  -File transfer:  Xmodem, Ymodem, Kermit, and whatever
   else is currently popular
  -Unattended operation, remote Sysop control
  -High reliability
  -Compatibility - Must be able to transfer and store complete
   Mac documents without going through BinHex;  must
   work with IBMs
  -User-friendly

I know about Red Ryder Host and have a two-year old version of it.
I'm wondering if a new version exists and whether it will do more
along the lines mentioned above.
What other BBS packages are available, how well do they work, what
are the costs and hardware requirements, etc?
Will summarize if sufficient information and interest.

InterNet:   rrenfro@dtrc.arpa
Genie:      r.renfro
Phone:      301/227-3329

 David Taylor Research Center
 Bethesda,  MD  20084-5000

-------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 19:07:03 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: MacSpeed

MacSpeed 1.0 by Scott Berfield. Shareware program to benchmark your Macintosh in
disk I/O, graphics, and calculation.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/macspeed-10.hqx; 49K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:50:15 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: N-Font 1.1

Here is N-Font 1.1, a freeware application from Olduvai Software that lets
you convert from the old-style FONT resource to the new NFNT resources.
To use NFNT's, you need Font/DA Mover 3.8 or later and a 128K ROM (or later)
machine.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/nfont-11.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:45:45 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: PictDisplay DA

Here is the PictDisplay DA, a shareware DA by Neal Trautman. It lets you paste
in up to 10 PICT resources and will display them. This could be useful in doing
on-line help, for example.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/pictdisplay.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:32:44 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: SetClock 1.8.1

Here is version 1.8.1 of Set Clock, by Jim Leitch. Set Clock uses your modem
to call up an atomic clock and set your Mac's clock to the exact time, for
those of you who like to be precise...

[Archived as /info-mac/util/setclock-181.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:54:43 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: ShowCINIT

ShowCINIT - Written by Joseph Sternlicht and Andrew Diaz - $1 Shareware

ShowCInit is a precompiled INIT which displays color or black&white icons
on the desktop at startup.  It is fully compatible with ShowInit (or "Thanks
Paul") and the Mac family (with the possible exception of those with 64K ROMs).
It also provides seven additional features:

1.  It will wrap icons when they reach the end of the screen (starting one
row up and to the left).
2.  It facilitates the animation of color or black&white icons.
3.  It facilitates drawing multiple color or black&white icons.
4.  It provides an option to play a 'snd '.
5.  It provides an option to sysbeep the user.
6.  It doesn't have to be compiled because it already is, and gets its
information from a resource.(for which we include a ResEdit template)
7.  And it provides an option to loop through your animation until the
mouse button is pressed. (handy for alerting the user, also SysBeeps each time
if sysbeep option is set)

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/showcinit.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 89 10:47:04 +0100
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Slow text in PowerPoint while in color mode

I have the following problem:

I am running PowerPoint 2.0A on a MacII with SuitCase II, System 6.02
and a SuperMac color monitor (8 bitplanes).

When writing text in full color mode, text updating on the monitor is
abysmally slow, it does not even pretend to try to keep up with my
hunt-and-peck speed (THAT's slow!).

On the other hand, when I change to black and white mode, things move
along breezingly, with monitor updates as fast as I can type arbitrary
nonsense (which is pretty fast). This problem only occurs while using
PowerPoint, other applications seem to behave well.

Any pointers to what causes the problem or (even better) how to avoid
it without changig to B/W ewvery time I use PowerPoint?

In appreciation of any help,

Sigurd Meldal

Hard mail:
	Department of Informatics | Arpa:sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no
        Allegt. 55		  |
	N - 5007 Bergen  	  | 	 meldal@anna.stanford.edu
	Norway			  | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!meldal

phone: +47 5 21 27 10

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 89 12:47:05 +0100
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Soft- and hardware for the visually impaired

A blind sudent is enrolled at our department, and we would like to
give him facilities for the efficient continuation of his studies. We
would appreciate pointers to hard- and software enabling him to
easily access and generate data stored in ascii form, in particular we
are interested in output units that can be used to generate Braille.

A Macintosh platform is not a necessary prerequisite.

There are rumors to the effect that there exist versions of the
LaserWriter that print thickly enough that Braille can be printed
and read. I do not know whether this is an effect of the print engine
of this laserwriter, or of some particular toner.

Sigurd Meldal

Hard mail:
	Department of Informatics | Arpa:sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no
        Allegt. 55		  |	 meldal@anna.stanford.edu
	N - 5007 Bergen  	  | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!meldal
	Norway			  |

phone: +47 5 21 27 10
fax:   +47 5 21 28 57

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:30:48 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: SuperClock 3.1 cdev

Here is version 3.1 of the SuperClock cdev (Control Panel device). After
putting it in your System Folder and restarting your Mac, you should have
a miniature clock in your menu bar. SuperClock is configurable so that you
can:
 o display the time with or without seconds
 o display the time with or without AM/PM appended to it
 o have it move over for OnCue or Easy Access, or disappear when menus that
   are too long would overwrite it
 o works with Stepping Out
 o works with screensavers
 o hides when HyperCard hides the menu bar
 o works in multi-color levels on the Mac II
 o lets you display the time in any installed font and point size
 o includes alarm and timer functions

SuperClock is freeware from Steve Christiansen.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/superclock-31.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 89 15:43:47 CST
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: System Error Table DA 2.0

Here is the System Errors DA version 2.0 by Bill Steinberg. It presents you
with a scrolling list of all system-related Mac errors, along with a brief
description of what the error means.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/system-errors-20.hqx; 22K]

End of Info-Mac Digest